Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Not sure of the history, but they're the only type of collar allowed for trials. So you want the dog to be used to wearing it while training. It's also supposed to be less damaging on the fur. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

NOT YET YOU'RE MORE IMPATIENT THAN I AM.

Depending how things shake out, I would hope for a pup from the Wildhaus P litter, but I think my husband is thinking the litter after that, the following fall/winter. I'm way ahead of myself.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hell, I'll just get one for Buddy at this rate, he's a pretty girly boy. :iamafag: I already put glittery rainbow bandanas on him.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is kind of a brilliant idea about the zoo animal toys. :stare: That definitely IS expensive, but I would hope you could get a lifetime of use out of it and only ever have to buy it once.

So, some updates on the puppy front! Looks like the breeder just had their current litter on the 8th, with 2 boys and 7 girls. That is good news for us, because she said they had a lot of reservations already for females! They also updated their site saying that they were hoping to breed the next litter at the end of January, so that would make the puppies ready to go home around the end of May, beginning of June. That's a LITTLE earlier than I was hoping for. :ohdear: Later in June, or even July would have been a ton better, so now I'm even more on edge waiting to see how things are going to turn out. I'm a little afraid we're going to have to wait even longer! But I guess when you've already been waiting this long, what's 6-8 more months...

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 10, 2014

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Queen Elizatits posted:

On a different topic does anyone else have a GSD with a drinking problem (:cheers:) The folks on the GSD forum I follow say it's pretty common in younger dogs and man I cannot wait for him to grow out of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmp6wxl19I.

Mo!!! :3: He looks like he's so nice and exhausted he can't be bothered to drink like normal because it would take too long, and he wants to go back to panting so fast he's letting the water go everywhere.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:cry: Waaaaaaahhh!! I just had to turn down a puppy! Apparently, someone who was on the list for an O litter puppy decided to wait until the P litter, so after checking with the people reserved for O litter males (there were only 2) they started down the list for people waiting for the P litter to see if they wanted to move up. It was soooooo hard to say no! :( Especially when they're laying it on thick:

breeder posted:

I know the timing may be earlier than you planned... but then on the otherhand this pup is currently a reality whereas there's always a possibility that something could go wrong with the P litter.

At least I was flattered that we were offered the pup!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Anyone order some potatoes? :3:
http://wildhauskennels.com/olittergallery.htm

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hahaha Definitely do NOT need two puppies at once. :haw: The P litter is supposed to be ready to go home (tentatively) late May, early June. We might even be cutting it close with THAT litter, let alone puppies ready to go home in March. But waiting is so tough so close to finally getting a dog! I've been watching SchH videos on YouTube instead. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That would be so awesome! :haw: I've been thinking of getting out to another SchH practice at Topline one if these days. But I totally wanna see Frank Bite A Thing. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Vecna!!! :3: Those pictures weren't there when I checked the thread on my phone.

Potential puppy updates! Got an email from Chris the other day saying Eris has gone into heat, so she's expecting to breed her around the first week of February. She said that'd put puppies due in April, and puppies ready to go home the first or second week of June. She also said she has more people interested than there will probably be puppies (I think there were 15 people who got the email including myself) so it'll all come down to how many of each sex are born and how their temperaments match up with the people waiting. :ohdear:

In the mean time, we're still trying to figure out if we're going to be able to make it ok for this litter. We're both really hoping it works out well, because we don't want to have to wait another year! Plus, I really like the dogs from this P litter. :saddowns: At least since we have a decent window for the litter, now, we should be able to figure out if things will work PRETTY soon, here...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

You guys crack me up.

So we did our taxes today. I'd say things are looking good. :stare:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

They're so cute!! If you're having fun playing with trailing (the air scenting your dogs are doing to come find you), you can look in to K9 Nosework! It's a sport based around the skills used with search dogs. :) It's a great way to get involved in a fun scent related sport without the seriousness of tracking.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Also this is a good read:

Every one of you should go read this, it's such a great article! I can't wait to get started with Future Puppy. :3:
Future Puppy that's looking REALLY likely for June! :ssh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

It's interesting to watch your other videos -- it's such a foreign methodology and sport to me! Very neat to see.

It is definitely very fun to watch! When I was talking to the woman from the club I want to join, that was one of the first things she said to me, if you know about dogs and training, you'll have a really fun time watching everyone work. I could watch SchH videos all day. It's fun (and a good exercise for me) to go into a video not knowing what's being worked on and see if I can figure it out. Tri is right, you REALLY need to make sure you get a talented helper, because the training can be so subtle, it can be easy to at best have sloppy training and take forever, and at worst have someone ruin your dog. I really think you need an insane instinct to be able to work dogs the way they do.

Don't really have anything to add, but I just wanted to thank everyone for posting pictures and videos all the time! I don't always get a chance to reply, but I always watch them. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

She's so pretty!! She has the same expression that my in-laws' long haired GSD did. :3: I'm a sucker for a pretty roman nose like that.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks for the videos! :D I love seeing search stuff. We got to see a demo from a SAR team at the dog show Sunday, and later my husband says, "I totally see why you're so interested in that stuff, now!" I love that they have demonstrations like that for the public, it's a lot cooler when you get to see it in action.

There's a nosework class starting around here on Sunday, but I only found out about it yesterday. :( I'm set to get emails from the training club on when classes start, who sends them out with less than a week's notice? The only thing my dog cares about is food, that's a good start, right? I'm not sure about his sniffer, though, he either seems like it's starting to go with age, or that he is just lazy with it, because he misses things RIGHT underneath him a lot of the time, haha.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Just dropping in to say you all just keep going on posting pictures, your dogs are all beautiful and I love seeing them and reading about them. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh yeah! I totally forgot to update on the puppy wait. Well, the litter that was supposed to be on the ground right now didn't take because they were accidentally off in their timing. So they're looking to breed her again in her next heat, which won't be until the end of summer. Now we're looking at possibly having to train a puppy in the winter. :ohdear: At the very least, apparently some people on the insane waiting list have dropped off, so as long as WE'RE ok when the time comes, there's a MUCH better chance of us ending up with a puppy! :dance: Honestly, too, we have had a lot of insane, unpredictable poo poo happen in the last month or so (mostly having to do with my drat car :argh: ) so putting off the pup is definitely an ok thing from our perspective. Just thought I'd update, because if things were going the way they were planned, there would be puppies born in under a month!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

HEY! What the crap, people, I tell you to keep posting pictures of your dogs and you all fall off the face of the earth? :argh:

Check out these videos I found the other day! They're of Eris, the dam of the litter we're hoping to get a puppy from. :3: She's such an awesome dog!

Doing some free shaping.

Doing a send out, then playing with a tug.

Doing some protection work.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Pardon the crooked horizon

...are we in the End Times?
(Very cool picture.)

Thanks for bringing the goods, guys! :neckbeard: I gotta get my fix somehow.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Dust Radio posted:

We're using the prong collar under the trainer's direction. He's doing amazingly well and is like a different dog now. Group training with him begins on Monday. Once we get him properly socialized, he's going to be a helluva dog.

I'm curious how they have you working with the pinch with your dog's particular issues. I mean, if your dog is fearful, and you're using a pinch/correction in situations where your dog is in proximity to what it's scared of, I would be afraid of masking the dog's behavior and inadvertently making things worse. You run the risk of:

"There's that Scary Thing, I'd better [insert undesirable behavior here]!"
*Dog either gets a correction, or hits the end of the leash, having him give HIMSELF a correction*
*Dog not only equates correction with the behavior, but also with the Scary Thing*
"Oh look, there's that Scary Thing! I get hurt when it comes close. I'd better get rid of it!"

A lot of time the training in this fashion SEEMS like it's working, because the undesirable behaviors ARE going away, but the stress level of the dog is at best staying the same, at worst getting worse, but the dog is unable to show you signs of it. This mean that you could possibly have "good results" for YEARS only to have the dog revert or get worse once the stress becomes too much. With other methods of training, you're changing the dog's metal state around what it's afraid of, so it learns to calm down. You need to be sure that the training you're doing is incorporating this, or you'll have problems down the road.

That isn't to say that pinches can't necessarily be used "correctly", but I feel that if you are only just now starting obedience classes, that your dog wouldn't have the training under his belt for it to work. This is the only reason this red flag has been raised. The "correct" way to use a correction is if the dog absolutely knows what it's supposed to do in a situation, but it's so distracted that it needs a gentle tap on the shoulder to bring the focus back. The other thing, is that the prong is like the absolute last resort with this. For most dogs, simply saying the dog's name or giving a very soft leash tug on a flat leash are enough to bring the focus back. Prongs (used properly) are generally saved for dogs that are working in sports who are SO high in drive that they barely even feel the pinch when it's on. If you're working on PROBLEM issues with your dog that high in drive, you're working in too close of a proximity to what your dog is afraid of/reacting to. Basically, in such an instance, you're setting up the dog for failure, so you can correct the behavior, instead of rewarding good behavior before the dog has a chance to "misbehave".

Also, here's a great article about stress levels in dogs and different training methods being used. Found this the other day, and although for a lot of people it seems like it would naturally end up with the results they found, now there's a (small) study backing it up. It's pretty long, so here's the part where they get to the actual results:

quote:

There were 26 dogs trained using discipline-based procedures and 24 using positive training. The researchers were not looking at actual learning performance, but rather were measuring the amount of stress that dogs appeared to show when performing their learned exercises. They used easily observable behaviors associated with stress, such as mouth licking, yawning, scratching, sniffing, shivering, whining, low posture, attempts to run away, and whether or not the dog avoided making eye contact with their handler.

The results were rather straightforward. If we simply look at whether a dog showed any of the stress related behaviors we find that 65% of the discipline-based trained dogs showed at least one such sign, as compared to only 8% of the positively train dogs. For some selected behaviors the differences were quite striking, such as in mouth licking (38% discipline; 8% positive), yawning (23% discipline; 0% positive), and low posture (46% discipline; 8% positive). One of the results which I found most interesting had to do with whether or not the dog looked at the owner's face. Both humans and dogs have a tendency to avoid looking at things that raise their stress levels or make them uncomfortable, so the fact that only 38% of the discipline trained dogs looked at their owners faces as compared to 88% of the positively trained dogs seems telling.

This is a small study, but because it is done using actual class trained pet dogs and instructors who believe in their particular training method, it is quite interesting. It seems to be just one more study that suggests that using punishment and negative reinforcement can produce potentially harmful and unwanted emotional changes in dogs.

So, if you look at that 65% of discipline-based dogs showing stress signals, that DOES mean that 45% were totally fine. However, that's a MUCH higher risk factor than the 8% of the positive/reward based dogs. THIS is why the red flag comes up when you see a pinch on a dog that has fear aggression. :)

Just food for thought! Like Skiz said, you can check out the training megathread for more explanation as to these different methods, they're all laid out nicely in the first few posts. I could be completely wrong in my assumptions, and it's up to you to decide if you stand behind the trainer you're working with. :)

I'll shut up now so we can get to more GSD pictures! :haw:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Dust Radio posted:

I'm aware of PI's opinion on prong collars. Thanks again! :)

To be fair, I even detailed the right way they're supposed to be used, and only talked about the downsides to them that you might not have researched. I even said that maybe you're using them in that proper way, only that from what you'd stated, it made me feel obligated to pass along a little info to you. Like adventure in the sandbox said, she uses prongs on her dogs, and it's not a big deal because she's using them correctly. Never given her poo poo for it. I've just seen dogs (first hand) trained in ways that make things worse down the road, and if I can ever maybe help that not happen, I'm going to say something. :shrug:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Everything a life less said. :) Also, your dog is adorable. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

I've been using a Furminator on Shadow for a long time and it seems to work way better than my undercoat rake at getting the undercoat out. How does it damage the top coat? AM I DOING IT WRONG? :saddowns: What would you guys recommend instead? He has basically a normal GSD coat, but soft, not nearly as coarse as some GSDs.

edit: btw, please send Greta to me. :3:

Shadow doesn't have a long coat. :) Greta's coat would be soft like Cohen's and the furminator would never even get to the undercoat. As long as you're going with the growth of the hair, and not over using it, you should be fine.

You should bring Shadow to visit Chicago some day, then you could get a personalized grooming consultation... Just saying...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, we have a huge conundrum in our house. My husband and I were volunteering at a shelter event over the weekend and we met Pluto:

He's a 6 year old GSD that was dropped off at the shelter because his previous owner couldn't afford to treat his ear infections and resulting hematoma. He has the BEST temperament, he was completely oblivious to the mass chaos going on around him, just lived for pets and loved when the kids would come by to see him. Great with them and all the other animals, even small ones. He seems like his diet was pretty crappy, his coat is super dry and he really needs to put on some muscle, but he has SO much potential.

He really would be a great fit in our house, but then that means we wouldn't be able to get our SchH puppy. We were after a girl, he's a boy. He's already 6 when we were planning on a much younger dog. He definitely seems like he'll be healthy enough once he's back in shape, and he's super smart and learns well, so I know I'd still be able to do competitive obedience with him, but he's just SO relaxed that I don't know if bitework would be a good fit for him. That could change if he gets into a nice structured home with some regular training, but he also could stay nice and lazy.

So we're super torn!! We don't want him stuck at the shelter, and he IS a really wonderful dog. I'm positive he'd be good with Buddy and Nolan, but it's a really difficult decision when you're considering putting a life goal on the back burner for another 5-10 years.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ALL, that's exactly why we're debating so much, how well he would fit it.

Tri, when I say I'm pushing back a puppy 5-10 years, I really mean that. After the dog comes another kid (at some point) and it really just wouldn't happen for a long while. We ARE still on a Wildhaus waiting list for a fall litter, but it's tough waiting for the PERFECT dog when it's only a maybe when we have a perfectly acceptable family dog waiting right here.

We're actually going to try talking my mother-in-law into taking him. :3: Then I could ease my conscious and still train the guy.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Just posting with my obligatory, "Thanks for posting pictures of your dogs!" I don't usually get a chance to actually reply to anything, but I'm still following the thread for the pictures. :3

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Those pictures are when we were looking for black bear. We eat them, if you get a good grass- and blueberry-fed bear the meat is very nice.

This just has me picturing a field with slow moving animals ala Oregon Trail. The bears were the best!

Oh! While I'm here, I might as well post a puppy update. Well, the litter we were waiting on didn't pan out. :smith: It was the second time breeding this female to this male where it didn't take, so they did some more testing and found that she's likely infertile. This was going to be her last litter, anyway, so she's obviously retiring now, and they're just planning their next litter for later in winter. So we're basically waiting another 6 months, and there's no sire picked out yet. The wait is absolutely killing me! I'm really on the edge of my seat for what sire they're going to pick, since their female is black. Whoever the male is, is going to determine what patterns the puppies throw. :ohdear: Because of all the traits the dogs could have, the color is the one I should be focused on, right? :downs:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's going to be a good looking litter!

Yeah, the first time they tried breeding Eris they thought they didn't get the timing right, so when they tried it this last time around and the timing was spot on, they knew something was up. I'm pretty bummed, I was really excited to get a puppy out of Eris. Chris was even saying that her "Eris line" puppies seemed more suitable for us than her "Raven line" pups, which Isis is. She said the Raven dogs tend to be more serious. At any rate, I just hope there's something for us with this next litter, I have been waiting WAY too long at this point, if you consider all the prep time before even getting on a waiting list! But it's not like you can help the things that have happened, they had no idea it was going to turn out the way it did. At this point, I'll wait as long as it takes, I'm determined to get what I want! I'm just super sick of waiting, though, haha!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Yeah I bought him when I was living in Germany and we moved back to the US when he was about 7 months old. It was not easy finding an airline crate big enough to contain those legs! The vest is a Hurtta obedience vest. Training vests are kind of pricey but buying one was the best thing I ever did. I actually like mine so much I bought their agility vest too because the OB one gets really warm in 90 degree weather and I'm constantly forgetting my vest when we go to class. They're practically mandatory for IPO training but if you end up using a lot of toys to train your dog or just train a lot, they're definitely worth the money. The Hurtta ones are the only ones I've found that aren't ugly as sin though.

I seriously can not find how to buy them on that site. :confused:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That looks so awesome, thanks!!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, we got our paperwork to put down our puppy deposit! :toot: :dance: Feels so much better that all this is moving forward! Now all we have to do is hope for a suitable pup to be born!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

It'll either be Isis or the Elena x Wulf litter. It's technically a zu Treuen Handen litter, but they're doing more of a co-ownership and the people on the Wildhaus list get dibs. So ideally it'll be from Isis x Rico, but between the two Chris said chances are pretty solid there'll be a puppy for us. :3:
http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Forgot to mention on here, we should be good to go with our Isis pup! :dance: :toot: She had ELEVEN pups on the 19th, 8 of which were girls. 5 sable, 3 bi color. I got an email saying I should definitely be getting my girl. :) Woohoo!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Rooting for you to get a bad-rear end bicolor little girl!

Thanks! :D Although, my current favorite is the red collared sable. :3: I wish I could post the videos! There's a Wildhaus group on facebook, but all the stuff is set to private. They're all moving around, now. :3: But at the very least they posted the photo album on the website.

quote:

I doubt anyone reads this sperg poo poo

I do! I do! :hfive: Thanks!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is so cool! I totally agree, it would be so fun to be the hider.

It feels like fooorrreeeevvveerrrr until puppy time! We should be getting her at about 9 weeks, so last weekend of February. I'm guessing it'll be a long while off until we know who, they don't finish up their formal evaluations until 8 weeks. It's possible they'll have a good idea before then, though. I'm trying to convince my husband to take a day trip to visit before then, though. :3: If I do, I'll be sure to take a million pictures and video!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

^^^^^ That's awesome!! How'd the class go?

There are new puppy pictures! :3 They left the co-owner's house and are now living with the breeder. 5 weeks old. 4 more to go until puppy comes home!
http://s419.photobucket.com/user/wildhaus/library/P%20Litter?sort=3&page=1

Here's the other album, too, there are a ton of pictures there as well:
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/dinahmyte7/library/P%20vom%20Wildhaus#/user/dinahmyte7/library/P%20vom%20Wildhaus

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Awww, poor guy! Well hopefully things work out and he settles into the routine, you've put so much work into him! Both of you deserve to be able to take classes. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

We got a bit of an update! My breeder emailed me to clarify some things about our future dog, and she mentioned that even though it's still up in the air, it most likely won't be Pandora (red collar) or Pheonix ( B&T girl with the magenta collar, used to be purple). So that at least narrows it down to 6 instead of 8! That's still 4 sables and 2 B&T. It's getting crazy close to puppy time, they're 7 weeks tomorrow!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

FINALLY!!

Meet Phantom vom Wildhaus, aka Spectre:

She's already amazing. She's like a little shadow and just watches you like she's awaiting orders. Fitting in super already, I can't wait to work with her!

She's from the first litter listed, out of Isis and Rico:
http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Congrats! So when's her first IPO lesson :3:

Won't be for a bit, yet. We're all screwed up since puppy classes at the GSD club have been TBD for a long time, now. If I can't get in over there, I'll have to go somewhere else, which is rather not do. Not that other places aren't wonderful, they're just geared towards different sports. I want to make sure we start right.

• Locked thread