Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I don't know how I didn't see this thread until now but thank you so much for making it Triangulum! That first post is incredibly interesting.

Allow me to contribute by adding a picture of one of the worlds worst GSDs

(kidding I love MoMo)

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

Please mail me MoMo, I need him. He can come be buddies with Vecna and they can ruin my life together.

Vecna's big dumb nose had a growth spurt and now he looks retarded.

They would be best friends and they would love it :3: I remember when Mo's nose went through that growth spurt too, I think it was around five months or so.

I was just reading through the thread and I know this is from way back on the first page but I have always thought MoMo and Maggie were not a bad example of the difference between a masculine and feminine looking GSD. I could be totally wrong of course but to me Maggie is very delicate looking dog and Mo is blocky.

I just really wanted to post another picture though

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

notsowelp posted:

Just 4 you~

:allears:

That poor dog that is awful :( Is that from a show?

GSD experience in gif form. 15 hours a day inside and outside

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
:saddowns: I live on a military base and my neighbor is a military police dog handler. That man is an absolute sweetheart with dogs and these assumptions make me sad.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I was trying to take etsy pictures today and Mo was helping. I MAY be biased but I think he turned into a pretty nice looking GSD :)

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

It's not biased if it's true :colbert: Looking at that picture makes me wonder if Mo's got some West German show line in him. He's got the deep red coat, bear face, stocky build, and (slightly) roached back that's common in those lines.

This is my Schutzhund trainer and his West German IPO 3 dog, who's got a similar build to MoMo:

He's more bearfaced and stockier than Mo though

That is a good looking dog :3: How old is he do you know? I assume Mo will fill out a bit although who knows. Maggie is pretty lanky!

I would love to do shutzhund or agility or something with Moses, he's so athletic. We actually have an appointment next week with one of the K9 handlers on base who does obedience, I am secretly hoping he will let us take Mo through the course they use

adventure in the sandbox posted:

He looks lovely! Gotta love that robust muzzle and rich colouring.

Thank you :) He's watching tv on the laptop in that picture the big doofus.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Sometimes when you ask Moses questions his brain crashes

Who is a good boy MoMo?

.....give me a second I got this

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo had a switch in his brain at about 1 year and a bit where he went from being a holy terror to this sweet soft well behaved house dog I don't know how it happened. Dog magic.

And you can tell Mo and Maggie apart pretty easily now

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Thought it would be nice to do an update collage

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

tiggeril posted:

Mo still sitting like a doof makes me happier than it should.

He is LAZY. He always tries to lean back against something when he sits. He keeps knocking our closet doors off the rails by being a big butt.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Can anyone recommend something similar to the jolly egg but bigger? Mo loves it but it only took a couple of minutes for him to bite through and now he can just carry it around. I thought they made a zoo animal version but I can't find anything larger than the 12 inch version.

Alternatively has anyone ever tried toys made for zoo animals?

This thing is 30 inches and weighs 50lbs and you can fill it with water or sand:

http://www.sanctuarysupplies.com/iteminfo.asp?partnum=SAFARI30GRN
It also costs almost $200 :cry: but it would be worth it if he would play with it and also not destroy it I guess.

Then there is this one that is 20 inches but only 11lbs. It's called a herding ball and I'm not quite sure what that means but it says horses like them and I don't think Mo is stronger than a horse.

http://boomerball.com/boomerballs/34-herding-ball-20-inch.html
It's only $100 :saddowns:

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds indestructible toys

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

ShadowStalker posted:

You have one of those too? Mine loves destroying toys. We have a few toys that we regularly will purchase because they last.

Chuck it Balls in X-Large (they wont fit under the couch as Duke likes to shove the smaller ones under the couch and try to get them out)

Jolly Teaser Ball 10"

Push-n-Play 14" or 10" http://www.amazon.com/Push-Play-Ball-14-Red/dp/B0006N9K8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389332645&sr=8-3&keywords=jolly+push-n-play

Thank you for the ideas :) I may go with the push-n-play. He broke the 10" one but I don't know if he could get his big dumb mouth around a 14" ball. He's already gone through the biggest teaser ball amazon has but I think I may have seen a zoo animal version somewhere.

I'm definitely going to order that xxl chuck it, you can't beat $8.99 and he loved the whistler version of that ball which lasted months.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

cbirdsong posted:

Our GSD loves chasing the weird-shaped Chuckit balls that bounce funny: http://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Erratic-Ball-Larger-X-Large/dp/B00CI50JCO/

Apologies if this post shows up twice chrome is being wonky. I ordered him the ball you linked as well so that is awesome to hear your guy likes it thank you.

On a different topic does anyone else have a GSD with a drinking problem (:cheers:) The folks on the GSD forum I follow say it's pretty common in younger dogs and man I cannot wait for him to grow out of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmp6wxl19I.

I should mention he has access to water inside the house all the time, the garage bucket is just there for when he has been running, that's when he makes the biggest mess.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

mcswizzle posted:

Both Artemis and Jada tend to slop water around. Honestly I've always thought it was (messy but) normal for bigger dogs.

Are you saying they'll grow out of it??? My wet socks and freshly licked cat thank you!

Well now I feel like a liar because I can't find the thread I was reading but if you go to http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ and just search water it brings up about 10 pages of different threads about GSDs and water messiness. Somewhere in there I swear there is a thread that says it gets a lot better when the dog hits about 2 years. Maggie doesn't make a mess at all so that's promising anyway.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

WolfensteinBag posted:

:cry: Waaaaaaahhh!! I just had to turn down a puppy! Apparently, someone who was on the list for an O litter puppy decided to wait until the P litter, so after checking with the people reserved for O litter males (there were only 2) they started down the list for people waiting for the P litter to see if they wanted to move up. It was soooooo hard to say no! :( Especially when they're laying it on thick:

At least I was flattered that we were offered the pup!

Why don't you get booooooth? Then the 1st puppy will be all trained up and ready for a friend!

Do it do it do it.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

I guess I could be misunderstanding "guaranteed indestructible" but the fact that it now has four large punctures in it seems pretty destructed.
I did buy the thing almost a year ago but it's been stored away for months. The punctures happened within a couple of minutes of him getting it.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo does not know who dug up my freshly planted avocado tree it is one of history's mysteries.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Waking up German Shepherds and Taking their Pictures ~ an art project by Tits

Mo

Maggie and Gretchen

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Dust Radio posted:

Wow, Mo and the dog in the foreground look almost the same!

Maggie is Mo's mom :) I think this is the thread about when got them when we got them but I don't have archives. The tl:dr is that we we driving home from San Diego through the mountain area in the desert and just when we were rounding a curve we saw small something bounce off the front of an SUV that was going about 80mph and another dog running into the highway. The small something was Mo and Maggie was trying to get him off the road. I don't understand how it was possible but aside from road rash, losing most of the teeth on one side of his head, spraining a front leg, and going into shock he was okay. Actually that sounds like a lot of things but since he was only about 10 weeks at the time I don't understand how he wasn't killed.

They do look very similar. He's about 20lbs bigger than her now but I still confuse them.

Old picture

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Stregone posted:

I posted this on PIFB the other day, almost forgot about this thread :)

:3: That is a cute rear end doggie. I have no memory, is she a GSD? I can never remember if GSDs can come without the saddleback. She looks like the military police dog next door who is a malinois.

Coolguye posted:

I had been lurking that thread since the beginning and I didn't realize he'd lost a lot of his teeth. That's basically the only way those injuries were fortunate, I suppose, since at 10 weeks they would've been milk-teeth that were going to get scuttled anyway.

That was the best thread though, thanks for starting it. It was both cute and sad to see some of their feral habits persist into your home, like when you were talking about Maggie hoarding food and eating half-meals just to make sure Mo had enough to eat. Has she mostly gotten over that sort of thing by now?

I am sorry for not answering you Coolguye I wasn't ignoring I promise I missed this post, if you are still reading Maggie is still a hoarder but at least she doesn't feed bugs to Mo anyway. I still have to feed them separately though because if he looks at her food she leaves it for him.

Here they are not being bad and certainly not caught trying to rip apart that blanket

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
As Mo has gotten older I am really starting to understand why people like GSDs so much. The dog to the left is 19 years and has canine cognitive dysfunction. Mo follows him everywhere, washes his face, but doesn't bother him overly. It's very sweet and not something I would have expected from the terror a year ago.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Drake_263 posted:

MoMo is seriously too drat adorable for something that sheer size. Give 'im a scritchie from me, please :3:

Also, I thought at first you were just being clever about 'dumb old dog' but after a google.. poor thing, I had no idea that could happen to a dog :cry: MoMo's a sweetie for looking after him.

Yeah CCD was only recently even recognized by the American veterinary Association within the past couple of years. There is a lot more research that has been done in the UK and some of it is quite promising. There are a few couple of nutritional supplements that some dogs respond well to my understanding is that they work to increase blood flow to the brain. I couldn't find any for sale in the US and I've ordered one from the UK that king King is actually seemingly responding well to. He used to get what I could only describe as panic attacks the vet has him on a high dose of Xanax but ideally I would like to lower the dose.

Anyway I've started him on Senilife along with the Xanax and he hasn't had an attack since. He's actually playing with toys again too which is amazing

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo is back from his summer vacation. He got to spend two weeks running wild around a small island and swimming. I think he's even more muscular now

Not that you can tell with the silly filter :saddowns:

Edit

Q: Should I get a GSD as my first dog?
A: Does this look like something that might be fun for you all day? (It is for me)

Blurry as heck but there is only one foot total on the ground in the second picture.

Queen Elizatits fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 27, 2014

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well since they seem to have eaten your TV, you obviously have nothing better to do.

We have to move to Texas and there was no way I was lugging that 80lbs monstrosity across the country again.

Actually this is relevant to the thread! I am moving to Lackland AFB and that is where the military dog training attachment is located I am so frigging excited. You can volunteer to raise the puppies until they are about six months I think. They have GSDs, Belgian Malinois, and Dutch Shepherds. I am hoping you can also volunteer to be one of the guys the dogs practice biting.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I did the puppy fostering thing and then gave them Mo back instead

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

Aw I just saw that girl on the DoD's facebook page :3: I am so jealous, foster all the lackland pups please. From what I understand decoy work is generally restricted to MWD handlers unfortunately

Yep you are 100& correct on the decoy work I just checked :( I know it make sense, they don't want a volunteer doing something stupid and injuring the dog.

I couldn't figure out if they would use volunteer kennel hands which I would also be all about doing. Cleaning up poop would be totally worth it it just to get to see the dogs up close.

Fostering puppies would be neat, at first I wasn't sure if I could handle giving the dog up at six months but then I remembered that is the start of the terrible teenage-hood of puppy frenzies so yes I think I could.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

He was a very handsome dog. I say this as someone who doesn't normally love the plush coat. I can just imagine the shedding

It turns out Hyperlapse is pretty fun for taking dog videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0AUaTXGVfU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Triangulum posted:

Keep leaving your dog with your mom, those are all terrible ideas.

Agreed. Those are all terrible terrible ideas for any dog but especially a young GSD. You are asking for a tragedy.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I am trying to imagine how strong I would have to be to be able to tie a brand new piece of pvc pipe to a rope and swing it with my face into a wall and have it break in half. Pretty strong I imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38dM4UoVqV0

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo and I have matching nails now because one of us won't stop trying to open doorknobs by smashing them.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Writer Cath posted:

Well come on now, doors aren't going to open themselves.

We all know Mo is a perfect gentleman.

He has taken all of them off but one I guess that's his accent nail.

OT but I love the slow mo on this phone. the black dog is a dutch shepherd involved in a felony animal abuse case, he was smashed on the head with a brick but he's recovering very well. I thought about starting a thread about him but the DS community is so small it would be just asking for drama

I knew they were agile but I didn't really realize how agile they could be when they went from starved to round barrel shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aX5dXT0hY

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Lord that looks like so much fun. Your dogs are so beautiful Triangulum!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
He is adorable :3:

And try not to stress about the growth charts too much as long as he isn't underweight, Moses was a lot smaller than whichever one I looked at, I think it was this one

I don't think Mo hit 80lbs until he was almost two years old.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Yeah Vecna is an insanely good looking dog. I forget although I think you mentioned it, did you pick him up from germany? Also is that vest you are wearing designed for dog work specifically? I like all the pockets and now I want one.

Picture content
Two best bros

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I miss this thread when it goes away here are some dogs.

He cannot sit without leaning

I trimmed her nails right after this picture her front claws grow really fast

Not my picture not my dog not a german shepherd but I thought this was pretty great

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Skizzles posted:

Miss Maggie. :3: It's cute she has a teeny spot of white on her chest. I'm noticing more and more shepherds with white on the chest. Shadow has a super thin white stripe on his, though of course he's a mutt. But I wonder why it's cropping up in some shepherds so much. I get curious about dumb poo poo.

That's Mr. Mo, white on the chest and one white toe. Maggie doesn't have any white that I can find so I guess he got it from his dad? I am not sure though how that works.

Maggie picked herself out a new spot today. I set the chair up to take pictures of shoes but she loves it.

Sorry for the filter it didn't look that blurry on the camera.

Drake_263 posted:

Oh my gosh them sheppy radar ears. You sure there's not a bit of fennec in there?

We do have a few different kinds of foxes here and I think Kit foxes kind of look like Fennecs but I assume if Mo was a fox he would be more graceful and less lumbering and clumsy maybe

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Dr Snofeld posted:

All this talk of dogs doing scent work and high energy activities. Meanwhile here's how mine spent her afternoon:

That is one pretty girl :3:

This is my new favorite picture of Mo. I am so happy it's cool enough now for him to play outside a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Well we moved to Texas and Mo has a job now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6J7ktJg0PY

That's almost as good as sheep right :(

• Locked thread