Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke, our new GSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke turns 16 weeks old tomorrow and weighs in at 46 lbs. Losing a lot of his puppy coat. Vacuum the floor one day and the next day it looks like we have puppy hair tumbleweeds. Halfway done with Puppy K and he's excelling at the class. I need to video his down because he throws himself violently down when training the "down" command and its kinda funny.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Sweng by the vet to pick up some heartworm medicine for our other dog. Duke turns 5 months old tomorrow and already weighs in at 66lbs. Defintely going to break 100lbs full grown. He likes to sit on the couch and stare at you when you are in the kitchen, like the velociraptor from Jurrasic Park. Clever Boy! I'll have to get a pic of it tommorrow. He's still full of crazy puppy energy but late at night likes to chill on the sofa with one of us.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Happy kind of birthday Duke and welcome to the giant-rear end puppy club. Out of curiosity, do you know how tall he is? Also please post pics.

I'm out of town tonight, I'll try to grab some tomorrow and measure how tall he is; that won't be an easy task. He's either running around being crazy or sitting looking at you like "Where's my treat, I'm sitting"

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke's new Jolly Pet Push-N-Play 14 inch ball arrived today and he went crazy with it. He kept us laughing for a good 30 minutes before I grabbed the camera and captured a video.

Got him the Jolly Pet 10 inch teaser ball last week and he carried it around all day but wasn't making all kinds of noise like with the new ball. I think it's because he can't pick this one up completely.

Just hit the 6 month mark, around 22 inches tall, and around 70lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNl2OeIUpU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Let us know how that toy holds up if you don't mind. I was thinking of replacing Vecna's egg with that ball once it's finally broken.

It should hold up pretty good, but I'll let you know. It's just too large for any shepherd to really bite on. There's one little spot where there's a recessed plug that a dog could start chewing and eventually create a hole in the ball.

This is his 3rd new Jolly Pet toy in 2 weeks.

1st was a Jolly 8 inch Romp and roll ball. The whole toy lasted about 2 days before the rope was torn up enough that we cut it off for fear of Duke eating some of it. The ball portion is still in good shape and he plays with it inside

2nd was a Jolly Pet 10inch teaser ball. Duke like to pick it up and carry it around. The holes give him a place to chew, but that could also lead to issues. Some of the reviews say that the edges can get sharp from chewing. He ignores the ball on the inside and just likes to run around with it.

Last was the 14 inch push-n-play. I think this one will be the sturdiest and last the longest.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Just dropped Duke off at the Vet this morning to neutered. And I lost the bet with my wife and now have to do the laundry for the next month. The bet was for how much he weighed. She went with 85lbs, I did the price is right technique and chose 84lbs. Duke weighed in this morning at 93 pounds and just turned 8 months today. He's going to be a Tank when full grown.

The wife and I have been talking and it looks like we will be getting him enrolled in some Schutzhund classes. Anybody have any experience with the Schutzhund clubs in Jacksonville FL? (Probably not but it's worth a shot)

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Triangulum posted:

Good lord is he like three feet tall or something??

Here are some clubs in your area, can't personally vouch for any of them. I'll email some of my IPO buddies and ask is anyone can recommend clubs/trainers in you area though.
http://boldcityschutzhundclub.com/
http://www.firstcoastschutzhund.com/
http://www.irondogschutzhund.com/

You can also check the WDA and DVG websites and look for nationally associated clubs but from what I understand, most of the north Florida clubs only exist on paper.

Honestly your best bet is going to be talking to the TDs and attending some training sessions.

Thanks, I already bookmarked them all previously. Just hoping that somebody had some personal experience with any of them. I knew it would be pretty much a long shot. I had a long talk with the vet because he is so large for his age. She told me that he's not fat and definitely not skinny. It's easy to feel his ribs. Duke is just more muscular and taller than the breed standard. She mentioned that he might have some King Shepherd or Shiloh Shepherd in his bloodline as his dad was 120lbs.

Vet measured him at 26" tall, I got the same when I did it. Looks like he's around the right height and weight. He's just at the very top of breed standard at 8 months.

ShadowStalker fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 20, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I took a few images of Duke after his surgery.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
No problem. Please share your conditioning exercises. We've been doing our own version of conditioning over the last 2 months to get him used to running with us. We've been doing walks around the neighborhood through one loop, added a longer loop, then went to the max loop (2 miles). Then we started to job some, walk some, jog some, walk again, etc. Now that he can jog the whole neighborhood, we started doing run/jog/walk to get him up to running the neighborhood. Vet says give him about 2 weeks until we start the runs up again.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
We play fetch at least 2 hours a day. If you go outside, he grabs his big ball and drops it at your feet. It's about the size and feel of a kickball, so I kick it to the fence (about 150 feet) and he retrieves it and drops it back at my feet. We do this a lot. It's Duke's favorite game.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I figured I needed more space, I just have to start working him with his chuck-it balls. He prefers to play with the larger balls and barely touches the chuck-it balls.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
He'll do fetch with the chuck-it tennis balls if there isn't anything larger around. But he has his favorite that's just too large to throw any good distance, but it's great for kicking. I'll confess it's my favorite too because my hands don't get covered in slobber using that ball. He will pretty much chase anything you throw, including sticks. Duke prefers toys over treats any day of the week.

I'll just put up the rest of his toys and work him with tennis ball sized objects.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Serella posted:

You must not be very good at The Price Is Right.

It was whoever is closer, didn't matter if you went over. I picked him up, he didn't feel that heavy

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Duke showed his warface for the first real time today. The wife took him for a walk and a shepherd mix ran towards my wife barking and growling. Duke held the dog off by barking, growling, and snapping while keeping himself between my wife and the attacking dog. Apparently, the other dog kept trying to circle around my wife and come at her from the opposite side of Duke but Duke kept moving to keep her safe. The dog tried to bite Duke a few times but never connected thankfully. The owner finally came up apologizing and took the dog back into his yard.

Not 5 minutes later, he was licking the face of a 3 year old who wanted to pet him and back to his goofy puppy self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Queen Elizatits posted:

Can anyone recommend something similar to the jolly egg but bigger? Mo loves it but it only took a couple of minutes for him to bite through and now he can just carry it around. I thought they made a zoo animal version but I can't find anything larger than the 12 inch version.

You have one of those too? Mine loves destroying toys. We have a few toys that we regularly will purchase because they last.

Chuck it Balls in X-Large (they wont fit under the couch as Duke likes to shove the smaller ones under the couch and try to get them out)

Jolly Teaser Ball 10"

Push-n-Play 14" or 10" http://www.amazon.com/Push-Play-Ball-14-Red/dp/B0006N9K8O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389332645&sr=8-3&keywords=jolly+push-n-play

• Locked thread