Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
correction: wire was nominated, never won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

FlamingLiberal posted:

Better Call Saul never won a single Emmy, I believe, which is even more egregious

Well Saul at least got a fuckton of nods

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Better Call Saul never won a single Emmy, I believe, which is even more egregious

Rhea Seehorn specifically

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

Rhea Seehorn specifically
Oh for sure, she was the best part of that show and they just wouldn’t even give her one in the final season

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Something interesting that I'm picking up from the Way Down in the Hole podcast: Avon is pretty consistently happy (or at least not perturbed) when folks he knows gets out of the game. There are multiple instances of that in season 3 specifically between Cutty and Shorty Boyd.

At the same time, he is personally all-in on the game and largely disinterested or dismissive of Stringer's attempt to change it.

So when his subordinates leave and he's fine with it, is that because he (1) thinks that they weren't up to the challenge anymore anyway, so no harm no foul, or (2) thinks that the game is a sucker's bet anyway, but he's in too deep at this point to do anything different? Or something else?

I think the character of Avon just continues to rise higher in my estimation as I revisit the show. Going back to my top 15, I think I would move him up to #7, move Omar up to #3, and flip Pearlman and Bodie to #14 and #11, respectively.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't know if we ever get a definitive answer to that. With Cutty specifically, he respected him from his time when he was an enforcer years prior, so I think it's mainly a respect deal.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

"Just a gangsta, I suppose"

It's consistent. Avon's biggest fear is ending up like his brother (that he and D'Angelo visit in the "little slow, little late" scene). Cutty leaving on two feet is a good ending.

What I think is most genius about the character and really subtly but well-conveyed by Harris' portrayal is that his "family" assertions are hollow. It doesn't mean anything to him, but he knows it tells him when others' loyalty is wavering. His drive is his position in the game. Stringer's revelation of his orchestrating D's murder is the only time we see his joy in the game really waver. His omniscience faltered and String pulled one on him. There's still a sparkle in his eye when he's arrested (still part of the game, and it's not the bad ending).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know if we ever get a definitive answer to that. With Cutty specifically, he respected him from his time when he was an enforcer years prior, so I think it's mainly a respect deal.

I think Avon is also one of those people who knows who he is, where he stands, and what he wants. And that he recognizes and respects those qualities in others. Cutty knows what he wants and who he is, Stringer thinks he does but has one foot in each world because he doesn't.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

christmas boots posted:

I think Avon is also one of those people who knows who he is, where he stands, and what he wants. And that he recognizes and respects those qualities in others. Cutty knows what he wants and who he is, Stringer thinks he does but has one foot in each world because he doesn't.

Yeah, this is my read too.

EDIT Avon respects people who are being real. It doesn't matter if that means you're in the game or not.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Avon also respects Cutty because Avon is a former boxer and Cutty did over a decade of time in prison without snitching on Avon despite having a clear incentive to do so. I doubt Avon would have the same regard for Cutty if Cutty was asking for a job reference to Foot Locker instead of starting a boxing gym.

edit: Avon is rich enough to be a bit of a dilettante if he wants and sponsoring Cutty lets Avon feel like he's building street rep. Similar to the Eastside vs. Westside basketball game that he co-sponsors with Prop Joe.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Avon saying he doesn't want to waste any time with having his name/picture up as a "Diamond Club" sponsor or whatever it was, only for the reveal the next season that Cutty put up a big rear end photo of him in the gym anyway :3:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jerusalem posted:

Avon saying he doesn't want to waste any time with having his name/picture up as a "Diamond Club" sponsor or whatever it was, only for the reveal the next season that Cutty put up a big rear end photo of him in the gym anyway :3:

But, crucially, after he'd already gotten locked up for life

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

it's because Avon knows that's how he got IDed by the cops the first time. :ninja:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

StashAugustine posted:

But, crucially, after he'd already gotten locked up for life

I don't believe he got life from the gun bust. At best he actually needed to finish his original sentence, but I don't think they ever say what his final number of years are.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT Avon respects people who are being real. It doesn't matter if that means you're in the game or not.

Yeah I think it comes down to this. If you stand up for yourself and what you believe in, Avon respects that, even if what you believe in is counter to his own goals.

In the basketball game if the ref had stood by his call and not backed down in (rightful) terror at Avon yelling at him, Avon probably would have given him a pass out of respect for them showing backbone. Marlo of course would have just killed the ref if they tried to do the same. Although Marlo never would have been involved in an east vs west basketball game to begin with.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Avon had already shown appreciation and respect for cutty before he came with the gym request. I’m fairly certain due to cuttys loyalty and honesty Avon would have given him anything he asked for.

Even a footlocker reference

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
It was a thread today.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Remember when Avon yells at the basketball ref in season 1? He complains bitterly about the call, and then when the ref offers to have a "do over" Avon complains again, telling him that's not how the game is played, and the ref anyway can't be tolerating having someone up in their face challenging their calls.

Avon respects the game, even when it doesn't go his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qT0nX6I6iA

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Remember when Avon yells at the basketball ref in season 1? He complains bitterly about the call, and then when the ref offers to have a "do over" Avon complains again, telling him that's not how the game is played, and the ref anyway can't be tolerating having someone up in their face challenging their calls.

Avon respects the game, even when it doesn't go his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qT0nX6I6iA

I kind of love that scene because you get the sense that Avon is madder about his yelling getting to to the guy than whatever he was yelling about. The ref makes a call you don't like, you get in his face and yell at him and then you move on, that's how the game works, if the ref goes and listens and starts reversing decisions, it fucks everything up

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

And also speaking of Avon appreciating/respecting when people are real, here's the scene from the same game where he's making fun of Prop Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4zDkv0slY

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

I kind of love that scene because you get the sense that Avon is madder about his yelling getting to to the guy than whatever he was yelling about. The ref makes a call you don't like, you get in his face and yell at him and then you move on, that's how the game works, if the ref goes and listens and starts reversing decisions, it fucks everything up

it occurs to me to contrast this scene with Marlo's treatment of a lowly corner shop security guard later in the series — Avon would not have put himself in a situation to be confronted in the first place, but would have respected a taxpayer showing backbone

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, this is my read too.

Now that I think about it I really like this read. Avon values being authentic. Stringer's attempt to go straight was highly inauthentic.

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't believe he got life from the gun bust. At best he actually needed to finish his original sentence, but I don't think they ever say what his final number of years are.

This, is not ever stated in the episode, but from the HBO.com biographies that were around when Season 5 was airing, I do believe Avon was said to have been sentenced to 25 years. It's crazy because I can't find a citation for this anywhere, but I swear I read somewhere, in a place that would have made it legitimately canon, that Avon got 5 (the rest of his previous sentence) + 20 or 25 more years for charges related to his Season 3 arrest.

Found a citation but it didn't have a source: "For violating his probation, he gets another 25 years tacked on to his five-year prison sentence"

escape artist fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 29, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Marlo and Anton Chigurh just hanging out, doing bro stuff.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
You want that coin flip to be one way....

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Count Roland posted:

And also speaking of Avon appreciating/respecting when people are real, here's the scene from the same game where he's making fun of Prop Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R4zDkv0slY

look the part be the part motherfucker

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
writing and cadence+delivery v good

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Avon’s a charismatic guy with a code who’s easy to like when he’s on screen but I do feel like it’s worth remembering that he’s a drug kingpin who, if nothing else, killed that maintenance guy for testifying, and also the security lady even though she agreed to be intimidated into recanting (i think, it’s been a while since season 1). I think he’s on that same page as Bodie, where he’s an objectively bad guy in any metric that matters, but you’re kind of happy to see him when he’s on screen anyway

Better than levy at least. I love the scene where Avon and stringer are talking about who they think the snitch is or something, and levy just goes “I shouldn’t be hearing this” and leaves. It’s been a long time since my professional responsibility class but I don’t think lawyers are supposed to do that

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you managed to sit down Avon and Bodie and really talked to them about it they'd probably agree with you that they aren't exactly good people, but then what other options did they have? poo poo was hosed long before they got there.

Levy had plenty of other options and also knows drat well poo poo is hosed, but saw that as an opportunity for personal enrichment. He's much, much worse.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bodie didn't have options.

Avon came from a family of gangsters and is quite well off because of it. He could simply leave the game with all the money he was making. Both him and Levy profit from and enjoy the game itself. Levy isn't worse.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just want to come in and say that Michael Kostroff, who plays Maurice Levy, is such a delightful person, that each time I see you guys talk bad about the character, there's a part of me that wants to come in and defend the actor. :lol:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He looks like he’s having a lot of fun with the role, it must be a blast to play a bad guy sometimes

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My favorite Levy moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJH4nCBuCM&t=149s

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

There is so much to love about this scene. Pierce, West, Gilliard and Kostroff are all perfect in this brief scene.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Bodie didn't have options.

Avon came from a family of gangsters and is quite well off because of it. He could simply leave the game with all the money he was making. Both him and Levy profit from and enjoy the game itself. Levy isn't worse.

I think you are greatly underestimating the family obligation part of your comment. Especially in conjunction with the family business being the game. Avon lays out pretty well why stringer is delusional and that’s not an option and on top that his successor was murdered (for not wanting to be in the family business.)

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Let's power-rank the best monologues from The Wire. Here're the ones that are coming to mind off the bat:

1.) Omar Little: I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase.
2.) Lester Freamon: The job will not save you.
3.) D'Angelo Barksdale: Chess speech
4.) Bunny Colvin: Soldiering and policing, they ain't the same thing.
5.) Avon Barksdale: Be a little slow, be a little late, just once.
6.) Randy Wagstaff: You gonna help, huh? You gonna look out for me?
7.) Bunny Colvin: Paper bag speech
8.) Frank Sobotka: We used to build poo poo.
9.) Stringer Bell: 40-degree day speech
10.) Slim Charles: If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie.
11.) D'Angelo Barksdale: Great Gatsby speech

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't know, Stringer's main mistakes were angering Brother Muzone and getting scammed by Clay Davis. Both of them were due to him having too big an ego, a slightly more humble Stringer wouldn't have made either mistake. His main idea of sacrificing street rep for money was working.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

escape artist posted:

I just want to come in and say that Michael Kostroff, who plays Maurice Levy, is such a delightful person, that each time I see you guys talk bad about the character, there's a part of me that wants to come in and defend the actor. :lol:
I got to see him as Thénardier in Les Mis and it was amazing. A similarly hideous moral wreck of a character but played so differently (and I got to hear him sing).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

surf rock posted:

9.) Stringer Bell: 40-degree day speech

The end of that speech with the one guy simply not getting it and roaring,"LIKE A 40 DEGREE DAY!" and everybody's exhausted reactions to him are just so, so wonderful :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp1ExC52BOc

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
What does this humble business man do about Marlo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My favorite thing is Stringer constantly trying to explain macroeconomics 101 stuff to his dealers and them just extremely confused