Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God I don't think I ever noticed before but when Shamrock answers the phone he winces and pulls the phone away from his ear. Donette must have been screaming at him when she realized it was him on the phone and not Stringer :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don’t see Cheese’s monologue before he gets popped by slim Charles :colbert:

Or clay Davis’s rant to Mayor Royce

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 31, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe technically not a monologue, but Clay Davis walked into his trial a broken, defeated man, he admits on the stand to EVERY SINGLE CRIME and declares he will CONTINUE to commit those same crimes given the chance, and yet walks out the greatest hero in American history. Absolutely loving incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQv6KTfQow

"What the gently caress just happened?"
"Whatever it was, they don't teach it in Law School."

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 31, 2024

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It’s time for a power ranking of the surf rock power rankings!
1) the moms ranking. Solid rankings all round, with added commentary and subheadings. Great stuff.
2) overall top 5 ranking. This lands just right, a one two three four five quick ranking that gets right to the meat of things.
3) the street. Boris should be much higher but aside from that it’s pretty good
4) the law. Nothing to argue with here, pretty solid ranking.
5) family and friends. This one is pretty subjective, as opposed to the objective truths of some of the others, so we’ll let it stand.
6) the actual law. Ilene Nathan was incredibly long suffering and deserved a lot more here.
7) The politicos. Most of these characters were boring and so is this ranking. Sadly uninspired.
8) the dock. This is erasure of Ziggy’s duck, his dick, and all the honest hard working American dockworkers who got mad at both. I won’t stand for it.
9) the monologue ranking. Some huge omissions, some inclusions which are little more than just single lines. A sad entry in an otherwise impressive list of lists.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

escape artist posted:

There is so much to love about this scene. Pierce, West, Gilliard and Kostroff are all perfect in this brief scene.

The best piece legal advice is "shut the gently caress up."

The second best piece of legal advice is "get a lawyer."

Incidentally, brisket owns when cooked properly.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I was inspired by this thread to put off my 5th rewatch of The Wire in favour of my first rewatch of We Own This City, and I'm here to say this: "Am-boo-lance." Gets me every time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still think every so often about the "acting" when they "open" the safe. Just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMsb9qYbqE

"Just another seizure by the books!"

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

awesmoe posted:

It’s time for a power ranking of the surf rock power rankings!
1) the moms ranking. Solid rankings all round, with added commentary and subheadings. Great stuff.
2) overall top 5 ranking. This lands just right, a one two three four five quick ranking that gets right to the meat of things.
3) the street. Boris should be much higher but aside from that it’s pretty good
4) the law. Nothing to argue with here, pretty solid ranking.
5) family and friends. This one is pretty subjective, as opposed to the objective truths of some of the others, so we’ll let it stand.
6) the actual law. Ilene Nathan was incredibly long suffering and deserved a lot more here.
7) The politicos. Most of these characters were boring and so is this ranking. Sadly uninspired.
8) the dock. This is erasure of Ziggy’s duck, his dick, and all the honest hard working American dockworkers who got mad at both. I won’t stand for it.
9) the monologue ranking. Some huge omissions, some inclusions which are little more than just single lines. A sad entry in an otherwise impressive list of lists.

:hmmyes:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

surf rock posted:

Let's power-rank the best monologues from The Wire. Here're the ones that are coming to mind off the bat:

1.) Omar Little: I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase.
2.) Lester Freamon: The job will not save you.
3.) D'Angelo Barksdale: Chess speech
4.) Bunny Colvin: Soldiering and policing, they ain't the same thing.
5.) Avon Barksdale: Be a little slow, be a little late, just once.
6.) Randy Wagstaff: You gonna help, huh? You gonna look out for me?
7.) Bunny Colvin: Paper bag speech
8.) Frank Sobotka: We used to build poo poo.
9.) Stringer Bell: 40-degree day speech
10.) Slim Charles: If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie.
11.) D'Angelo Barksdale: Great Gatsby speech

"We used to build poo poo in this country" must be number 1 because everything else derives from that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I still think every so often about the "acting" when they "open" the safe. Just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMsb9qYbqE

"Just another seizure by the books!"

The actual professional actors having to re-enact that must've been laughing their asses off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Konstantin posted:

I don't know, Stringer's main mistakes were angering Brother Muzone and getting scammed by Clay Davis. Both of them were due to him having too big an ego, a slightly more humble Stringer wouldn't have made either mistake. His main idea of sacrificing street rep for money was working.
Having Omar's boyfriend killed how he did was a huge mistake. Doubly so because of “where's Wallace?”

Rep for money worked until it didn’t. He got kicked out as the head of the co-op.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite thing is Stringer constantly trying to explain macroeconomics 101 stuff to his dealers and them just extremely confused
Parroting what he heard in class that day, mostly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s like when someone is in their first year of law school and they can’t shut up about it but they also don’t quite have their facts right yet, and the only people who can bear to be around them are other first year law students

Not that I’d know anything about that

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Rep for money worked until it didn’t. He got kicked out as the head of the co-op.

I also think that, even if Stringer succeeded in getting Avon put back in jail (thereby letting him try to end the war with Marlo and retain leadership of the co-op), it actually wouldn't have turned out any differently.

Either Marlo would've been like "actually it takes two people to end a war and I'm winning so let's keep going :)" or Marlo would've eventually usurped Stringer later on like he did Prop Joe. It seemed like the only organizations with meaningful muscle in Baltimore were Avon's and Marlo's.

I'm sure everyone else had an enforcer or two, but when the New York crew came to town, the co-op came running to Marlo to deal with it. And when Marlo made his move, everyone was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Stringer's biggest mistake is that he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. He was dumb as hell and arrogant because he was a bit more educated than the rabble he saw beneath him. Problem is, that convincing people to do violence for you works. And keeping people good at violence happy and out of prison is what helps keep you on top.

Prop Joe had muscle but Cheese betrayed him lol.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
It works for drug cartels. It works for drug companies. The gang companies go to for enforcement just happen to be big enough that they make the rules.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
No-one identified Marlo for what he was until it was too late. You either kill dudes like that early in the game or you will get killed by them eventually

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s like when someone is in their first year of law school and they can’t shut up about it but they also don’t quite have their facts right yet, and the only people who can bear to be around them are other first year law students

Not that I’d know anything about that

I think this is true of any student

If you're studying something you don't already know it. A good student is one that is interested in the material-- they'll want to talk about it to whomever will listen.

Bringing this back to the show, like in S4 when the teachers ask the class about how to run things on the street. All the sullen disinterested kids suddenly pipe up with all sorts of wisdom, valid or no.

And for monologues, what about Bunk's "no victim" speech to Omar? Omar did have a few lines so it wasn't exactly a monologue but it really hit home.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cranappleberry posted:

Stringer's biggest mistake is that he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. He was dumb as hell and arrogant because he was a bit more educated than the rabble he saw beneath him. Problem is, that convincing people to do violence for you works. And keeping people good at violence happy and out of prison is what helps keep you on top.

Prop Joe had muscle but Cheese betrayed him lol.

"He thought he was the smartest guy in the room- and he'll, he probably was."

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*Stringer held at gunpoint by Mouzone and Omar in an unfinished loft*

"the gently caress did I do?"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Does FBI profiler describing McNulty count as a monologue?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

"He thought he was the smartest guy in the room- and he'll, he probably was."

yeah. Stringer and mcnulty are a good if obvious parallel. The point is hit home for the audience with mcnulty seeing stringer's apartment for the first time after stringer's death with "who the hell was I chasing?" Medium-sized fish in a relatively small pond. Mcnulty's myopic focus on Stringer as some genius villain adversary is silly and indirectly helps lead to the rise of Marlo.

Avon wasn't the numbers guy but he was right about what works on the street far more often than Stringer was. As soon as the towers came down their gang was behind on territory and the only way to get back up was taking corners, which means they need armed bodies to occupy those corners which means they need honor. Stringer lucked out that he was friends with this guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

Does FBI profiler describing McNulty count as a monologue?
That scene loving rules

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm gonna put Least Favorite Monologue as Omar v Brother Mouzone in the alleyway.

In a different show with a more exaggerated tone, it might come off as badass but in The Wire, it stood to me as unrealistic and a little bit trying too hard to be an old western showdown. Not really a monologue, now that I think about, it since it's a conversation but...it didn't land for me and felt corny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Most hilariously tonedeaf and counterproductive monologue?

It's probably a tie between Frank Sobotka declaring that his union has survived everything and it will survive this too (spoiler: it doesn't), and Carver getting up on the roof of the car and screaming about how the drugdealers won't win, the cops will win (spoiler: they don't).

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Most hilariously tonedeaf and counterproductive monologue?

It's probably a tie between Frank Sobotka declaring that his union has survived everything and it will survive this too (spoiler: it doesn't), and Carver getting up on the roof of the car and screaming about how the drugdealers won't win, the cops will win (spoiler: they don't).

"Ya know Lester there aren't 5 swingin' dicks in this whole department that can do what we do."

which is followed by one of the best monologues in the whole series. The job will not save you Jimmy.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Tony Phillips posted:

You want that coin flip to be one way....

Which it is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God Hole posted:

"Ya know Lester there aren't 5 swingin' dicks in this whole department that can do what we do."

which is followed by one of the best monologues in the whole series. The job will not save you Jimmy.

Oh drat, yeah that's a good one (McNulty's bragging AND Lester's warning).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Orange Devil posted:

"We used to build poo poo in this country" must be number 1 because everything else derives from that.

needs some ""Honestly, I was looking for somebody who cared about the kid." It ain't profound and ain't entirely a monologue, but goddamn it is a punch in the guts.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

needs some ""Honestly, I was looking for somebody who cared about the kid." It ain't profound and ain't entirely a monologue, but goddamn it is a punch in the guts.
I mean, it has to be #2 behind Herc's sympathy for Gus Triandos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bort posted:

I mean, it has to be #2 behind Herc's sympathy for Gus Triandos.

Poot walking away and overhearing,"How about a handjob?" cracks me up.

I also love that had Herc just initially gone,"Uhhh, Steve McQueen?" then that probably would have been the end of it, but he put SO much thought into it that Carver couldn't resist mocking him for it. The later scene where the other cop says he'd gently caress Herc to gently caress Nerese Campbell, Herc says that makes him sound gay, and the other cop just goes,"...it's just an expression, man... :confused:" is hilarious.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

smh leaving out Jay's eulogies.

FOR CHRISSAKES PLAY THE loving SONG

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Orange Devil posted:

I love Rawls tearing into Bunny after Bunny refuses to juke the stats because John Doman does it so goddamn well

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Honestly the best speech is probably Carcetti when he's in the council chamber, before he's officially running for mayor.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Carcetti is high in the running for worst person in the show. Gets beat by the human traffickers, nat.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

They can't be the worst people on the show though because the worst are definitely Americans.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I always thought they portrayed Carcetti as genuine and earnest in his quest to "clean up" Baltimore. It's season 4 and 5 he realises that he's not going to actually get anything done and starts to use the excuse "I'll do it when I'm Governor instead".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cranappleberry posted:

Carcetti is high in the running for worst person in the show. Gets beat by the human traffickers, nat.

The Greek is arguably more of a concept, an avatar of capitalism, than a person. And all that rot trickles down, literally through his drugs in the docks and the streets, but also metaphorically in every other institution in the show. Maybe he's not human enough as a character to judge him, like calling a fire evil because its nature is to burn.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I always thought they portrayed Carcetti as genuine and earnest in his quest to "clean up" Baltimore. It's season 4 and 5 he realises that he's not going to actually get anything done and starts to use the excuse "I'll do it when I'm Governor instead".

watch the scenes where goes home and interacts with his family.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
also he lets the mayor burn for the drugs legal stuff only after finding out what it was about himself and physicaly going there and experiencing it. Then uses it as a cudgel against the mayor. He works to purposefully split the vote to get himself elected. He's a political animal through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cranappleberry posted:

watch the scenes where goes home and interacts with his family.

He's definitely complex. Cheats on his wife looking in the mirror like Patrick Bateman but won't sleep with D'Agostino. Says (honestly) he wants to play battleship with his daughter but couches it to Norman like a politician. Betrays his friend on the council but thinks it's necessary for a better cause. Listens to the angel on his shoulder (Wilson) but does what the devil (Steintorf) suggests instead.

His personal life aside, I think he was written as the kind of guy who has good intentions but makes the mistake of thinking they make him a good person (so a perfect politician). If the Wire went on he'd be gunning for president (and probably flop hard like O'Malley).