Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
One hanging thread I was just thinking about. Why didn't the "Daniels is dirty" subplot go anywhere? IIRC all there was was McNulty's FBI buddy mentioning something to him, and maybe a handful of times someone commenting on Daniels' fancy digs, but overall it never factored into any plotlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yes but I haven't watched S5 since it aired.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

It does come up: carcetti’s team uses it to sink daniels’ career at the end of season 5 when they appoint him commissioner and refuses to be their political stooge.

There’s also a very satisfying scene where Burrell tries to use it as leverage to save himself and the rep is just like “don’t care” and casually takes it and fucks Burrell over anyway. Poor guy thought it was his trump card

Oh, surprise*, I'm a dumbass. Thanks!

* - not a surprise

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
fuckin' mcnulty

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Man, McNutty is hard to watch in seasons 4 and 5. People go on about the subpar newspaper storyline, but I think it's having to follow McNutty around that does the damage. In which case, even the shorter season isn't to blame, because a longer season would mean more McNutty and ugh.

I have no idea how to fix it though.

edit: ^^^ Ah yeah that rings a bell, didn't HBO start the process and poo poo the bed with it before Simon stepped in?

edit2: I totally misheard Jay Landsman (actual) refer to DSS (Department of Social Services?) as "the SS".

The last rewatch I did really struck home with how much of a despicable rear end in a top hat McNulty becomes over the course of the series. It's a hell of a road from "ain't I a stinker, Major?" in Season 1 to "deliberately stages murder scenes" in Season 5.

Also lol that this season of Bosch has Lance Reddick's character have a compromised past that catches up to him in much the same way it did with Daniels.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Hamsterdam was just another form of juking the stats

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Poot with a gray beard is not something I was prepared to encounter today.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It was an amazing show until NBC actually noticed that it existed, and promptly went to work excising the less attractive cast members and bringing in younger actors as well as dumbing down the writing. It was still pretty good the last couple of seasons but definitely wasn't what it had been before.

To be fair, one of the new actors was Giancarlo Esposito, who was probably the best of the new crew by far.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And yes, it's a crime that it's never been made available for streaming.

A veritable murderers row of a cast, too.

Andre Braugher!
Melissa Leo!
Ned Beatty!
Jon Polito!
Richard Belzer!
Yaphet Kotto!
Michelle Forbes (briefly)!
Hell, even Daniel Baldwin had his moments.
Kyle Secor and Clark Johnson were great in their respective roles but unfortunately haven't really shined in other things I've seen them in. Reed Diamond is generally good at playing a smarmy bastard.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Don't lie to me like I'm Montel Williams. I am NOT Montel WIlliams!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ4mhaJIr7A

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Stringer Bell, the most relatable fictional character in history

Adbot