Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Deuce and Plot against America are pretty good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I see The Deuce a bit as a darker Tréme (which I love too)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my experience (edit: not mine personally but everything Ive read about it), usually the most violent cops are the ones working with the bad guys

So Herc and Carver

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I prefer binge too but I binge like 2, 3 episodes per day at most

And I also have no problem waiting for something to finish airing to watch like I want, I have a long queue of things to watch anyway

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also, I remember Ziggy and his cousin being pretty racist

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me:

1. S3
2. S4
3. S2
4. S1
5. S5

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also i'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to realize that the overtime slip interstitials were there to directly tell the viewer what year it is in any given scene, that was nice of them to add

Took me a while too, and that made the first episodes very confusing

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He was a great actor and this was way too soon

Sad stuff

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eason the Fifth posted:

Also House of Cards (though I'd argue it's great through Season 2), and The Crown, and Boardwalk Empire. Prestige TV overstays its welcome unless it's brave enough or smart enough to improve on the premise every season, like The Wire and Breaking Bad.

Boardwalk Empire is amazing up to the end of season 2, than it becomes just good (though the last season might be a little bellow)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pirate Radar posted:

For more of this, and ripped directly from the headlines, you can check out We Own This City, the more recent miniseries from a lot of the same creatives and actors. It’s about a real-life bunch of dirtbag Baltimore detectives.

Just rewatched recently. Is like The Wire compressed except everyone is bad and even the ones who aren’t really all that bad are already compromised anyway. Is dire as gently caress

And Jon Bernthal is fantastic through the whole thing, he is just perfect for the part. Also I watched walking dead recently and made think Jenkings is probably kinda like Shane was in his pre apocalypse days

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me it’s 3 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 5

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The way I remember, Stringer wanted to be a true capitalist, a powerful and respectful business man. He wanted to ascend to the real upper classes

While Marlo, he above all wanted to be feared and respected, seen as a crime king, the most badass of all ever

And Avon, he was kinda happy with what he already had and was, and just wanted to make is money and have his fun, and he at least had cared the community a bit and respected his rivals

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BiggerBoat posted:

This was largely my read on things also.

Stringer had noble but very naive ambitions on how to modernize the operation and eliminate a lot of the violence that brings so much heat but it's not a really good fit. He's trying to run it like a business meeting but folks can't even take notes and, while legit businesses, tons of politicians and cops certainly get up to illegal and shady poo poo, the vast majority of them are going to stop short of dealing with a drug empire or laundering their money.

Avon just seemed to have a fundamental understanding of the game, even if Stringer looked at it as too old school and needed to change. I think that instinctively and logistically, Avon knew it wouldn't work in practice.

And, yeah, Marlo just wants the crown. Like most CEO's and millionaires, he could have enough money to retire 20x over but, thing is, it's never enough. At a certain point, none of it is even about the money; for Marlo or Jeff Bezos.

Yeah

Avon is my favorite cause he is the most sensible of them 3

He knows Stringer "serious business" innovations wont work and, irrc, is also skeptical of Stringer's dealings with Clay Davis

And unlike Marlo, he understands he needs stability and some community goodwill to operate, and for keeping that brutality and terror alone are not enough (even though he can be brutal too)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 23, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, in We own this City they also talk about how in the homicide department is still possible to do real police work, as opposed to the endless corrupt brutal bullshit of the war in drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Corner, The Wire and We Own This City make kinda of a trilogy