Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
It's been almost a year since I've last seen an episode so this will be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

HoneyBoy posted:

Something I just picked up on in the very first episode: when McNulty is talking with Phelan he first refers to D'Angelo as Avon's cousin. This is never brought up again after this scene.

Also the first episode has flashbacks very similar to the way Oz had flashbacks, I'm personally glad they decided to ditch them.

I'm pretty sure the cousin angle gets brought up quite a bit... maybe I'm remembering things wrong. Flashbacks weren't even supposed to happen, HBO insisted they were included for that first episode.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rewatching the first two episodes is making me realize it's really hard to see any of these actors in other roles without thinking of the wire.

Also, Herc is seen with the tennis ball in episode one. :ninja:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rewatching the show without having to focus so hard is allowing me to try to pick up on the finer details. Never noticed this sign before, which pretty much sums up the series in general.

Also I wonder if the actors when reading the first season knew that they were going to be part of something truly special- even when they got passed on during award season.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 15, 2012

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Hopping on the "2nd time watching this and omg" bandwagon, I just finished season 1, episode 3.

Holy poo poo, that scene where D'Angelo is teaching Bodie and Wallace how to play chess. D'Angelo is making a metaphor of the game since he refers to how the King is like Avon and the Queen is like Stringer, but what's amazing is how much deeper that metaphor actually goes in the context of the entire show. It's something that only really hits me strongly the second time through.

In the last thread it was recently determined that the real King is The Greek :ssh:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

chesh posted:

I really can not class The Wire with anything else. Yes, it is a TV show in that it aired on the television. But I can not compare it to any other television, because it is so distinctly, so completely, different. It literally (IMHO) transcends its medium. It is a visual novel.

It really is. Unlike most shows where it can be identified by certain "episodes", the Wire gets differentiated by it's "seasons". There's never really been a discussion on which is the best "episode" of the Wire, and there shouldn't be.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

Prez's shooting incident in the towers is bananas, by the way. He, Herc, and Carver are being pelted by brickbats and such, and there are even a few shots fired, and then Prez returns fire with his Glock but... he can't see poo poo. He doesn't know where the fire is coming from, because he's buzzed and it's the middle of the night, so basically he's firing random shots at an apartment building. Provided he didn't hit anybody, he can clear it in the report by claiming that he was firing at visible targets, but realistically it was appallingly irresponsible and another indication that he's totally unsuitable for street work.

He's also the only character to kill a cop :eng101:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

"This.... is bullshit!" - The moment Daniels solidified himself as a badass.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Just finished the last two episodes of season one. I gotta say, that scene with Dee at the station is still one of my favorites of the series.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

The "Where's Wallace?" scene?

That wasn't scripted. Larry Gilliard Jr. was improv-ing that, and it was awesome, so they kept it.

edit: The first "where's Wallace?" was scripted, but the emotional explosion as he repeats the question was not.

That's good too, but I really like when Bunk is showing him all the pictures of everyone murdered throughout the season. I could be wrong but I think it's the longest scene in the entire series.