Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Something that jumped out to me in the first episode rewatch is D's next day at work after the trial.
He gets off a bus!

This is a guy who is at the time running a tower, is related to Avon, seemingly climbing the ladder and yet he still takes the bus to work.

It really made me realize how even when you get to the level D was at, it was still poo poo compared to the guys above him.

It reminded me of the conversation Bodie has with Poot about how you want to sell product in the projects but you dont want to live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

escape artist posted:

Just another thought:

In Season 2, Poot and Bodie run the pit, and a few of the younger members beat up a fiend for saying their product is bad. "You can't tell these youngins nothing" . . . "We beatin' niggas for bullshit, man"

Contrast that to the how they acted a year prior, when they drat near killed Johnny over $20 or $30.

The game makes you grow up quickly. We'll see much more of that when we get to Season 4 and 5.

I think the best example of this is Poot. His conversation with Dookie at the shoe store is how I think many of those kids had to look at the streets. Poot pretty much tells Dookie "well I guess you need to stay on the corners a little longer then come get a job"

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

You make a good point. But what's strange is that Wallace gets a $500 bonus for pointing our Brandon, too. I know he ends up getting high, but still, where did that $500 go? $500 of chips and juice boxes for the young ones?

You also gotta remember that no matter what the corner boys, for the most part, have to always look correct.
Lots of their income went right out the door for clothes, boots etc..

Like when Wallace comes back to work and they are clowning him about his boots and he says "No, these are timbs" (Timberland boots)

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Randomly Specific posted:

It's another case like the S2 montage where it works to beautiful effect. Ziggy's shooting is a total collapse and the scene takes you right into the middle of it. Then it's followed by that very solemn Landsman scene with the confession, and the solemn Landsman scenes always have a fuckload of punch.

Ya his scene with Bubbles is a heart breaker.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Whats also great about my rewatch this time is that I am getting to show my wife some of these episodes for the first time.
She had watched some here and there with me, but nothing really from the start to the end.

She had the best reaction to McNulty in this episode. When he steals his neighbors paper.

Her: Did he just steal a paper?
Me: Ya
Her: But he is a cop...
Me: Ya
Her: Wow, he is an rear end in a top hat.
Me: Ya, you pretty much summed it up.