Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I just wanted to chime in and say the initial OP and 1st episode summary is phenomenal - I'm glad I noticed this thread early!
It's been nearly 4 years since watching this series from start to finish, and this is a great excuse to watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

It has been said before, but anybody who hasn't read The Corner and Homicide: A Year In The Killing Streets owes it to themselves to do so. In The Corner in particular, Simon will reach points where he somewhat abandons the narrative/"characters" (it is a non-fiction account of real people after all) in order to go on lengthy asides/tirades about the complete failure of various elements of Government/society, puncture holes in many "common sense" solutions/beliefs and remind everybody just how hosed up things are.

His bit in the blog post about South Africa reminded me of probably my absolute favorite section from The Corner:

Seriously, buy these books and read them.

I shall take your recommendation and am ordering right now.
This also reminds me that I still need to watch The Corner!
I'll say its a good way to start 2013.
Which should I do first - read or watch?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I'm chiming in to say thank you to Escape Artist and Jerusalem for these amazing write-ups. It's great that you're updating the OP with links to each one as it's going to get difficult to track these down as the thread grows.

It's been a good 4 years now since I've watched The Wire in its entirety, and I think now's the time.