Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm pretty sure the cousin angle gets brought up quite a bit... maybe I'm remembering things wrong. Flashbacks weren't even supposed to happen, HBO insisted they were included for that first episode.

Yeah Simon has specifically mentioned how much he hated having to do that.

I've watched this episode so many times trying to introduce people to the show I practically know it by heart.

On the cool end of things, the first episode features several shots of characters from the POV of surveillance cameras, a gimmick not used again until the series finale

Other things not seen until the final season: Detective Barlow, who has a great opening scene putting the phone on his balls while talking to his bookie (I think). When I first watched season 5, I thought he was a new character.

Also, this episode is amazing in how well it sets the tone, thematically, for the rest of the series, although I doubt anyone realized it at the time. The very first scene essentially sums up the entire theme of the show in five words. And the futility of going against the institution is neatly shown with the two repeated lines by Rawls and Avon to McNulty and D - "Sit your rear end in the chair."

One thing I don't like about this episode is how dated it seems when Kima types up the police report on the typewriter. Always found it a little hard to believe that would still be the case in 2002 in a police department, especially given that this is NOT the case as soon as the next season when they have modern computer equipment. By season 3 they all have cool Toughbooks. On that note, it's interesting how its shown right away that although Herc and Carver are dumb as poo poo, Carver is hinted to be the only one who might potentially get better (he's the one who has the preachy "wars end" line.)

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Aha I never noticed the drawing on the same pad of a suited hand holding a coffee mug that says "Bell" on it. I don't know if that was intentional (it probably was) but that's an amazing little character detail. They don't even mention Stringer's interest in real estate until much later.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

HoneyBoy posted:

I very much doubt it, Little Kevin by season 4 was like Bodie's age right? Season 1 is something like four years prior, that'd make him something like Namond's age. I don't think he'd have been able to pull off a murder and walk away from it so easily.

This is probably just a case of the Dinks.

Don't forget the time in season 3 that Bunk tries to find a guy named "Peanut" and gets about a hundred results. It's a coincidence here though.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

MrBling posted:

True. Herc gets a pass for axing questions of people.

Someone put it funnily in the other thread: maybe the most unrealistic plot ever shown on the show was Herc, a NY native, moving to Baltimore and apparently becoming an Orioles fan.

It's too bad there couldn't be more natives on the show, the real Jay and the school AP were both wonderful to listen to.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Wow I never noticed that either, that's amazing. Reminds me of Daniels having a box in his office in the series finale that says "100% recycled" just as Steintorf tells him he has to juke the stats so Carcetti can become governor.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

solovyov posted:

I think the only reasonable explanation is that someone went on a dog killing spree among Emmy voters while wearing a David Simon mask.

One of the reasons has to do with how the Emmy process works: for most awards (I think) they're only allowed to judge individual episodes of a show, not the season as a whole. Of course, nearly all episodes of The Wire are impossible to judge outside of the context of the entire season - owing to the "visual novel" format.

On the other hand, I swear I read Simon claiming once that it had to do more with the fact that they had a 95% black cast with many nonprofessional actors, and that their writing staff wasn't WGA dayjob workers but mostly crime novelists. I'm probably confusing this with speculation from somewhere else though.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

escape artist posted:

You're referring to Dee-Dee, a prostitute/drug addict-- she does not appear until Season 3. And is in one episode in Season 3, one episode in Season 4, and one episode in Season 5.

She's the daughter of Richard Price-- one of the show's writers.

Which in and of itself is an amazing mini-arc. We first see in in the backseat buying a highball in Hamsterdam, while fighting off the dealer trying to flirt with her - it's not clear if she is a prostitute yet. Then she's in Old Face Andre's store in season 4, and Andre asks her if she is being treated right by her pimp, who she defends. Then she's at the NA meeting in season 5 with a young child.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Jerusalem posted:

The funny thing is how Burrell still manages to finagle keeping his job, leaving Rawls exposed because he made his move but didn't pull it off. It's a valuable lesson (in its own hosed up way) for Rawls and an example of just how good Burrell is at gaming the system.

He basically only kept his job because he understood the racial politics of the city better than Rawls did, though.

As useless as Burrell was, I always feel kind of bad for him in the episode he finally gets fired. He gets fired because he jukes the stats despite Carcetti ordering him not to, and because Carcetti knew they were bullshit. And yet, if you look at it from Burrell's perspective it's hard to see how he had much of a choice - he probably figured that since Carcetti was running for governor, he couldn't afford more bad crime stats. He probably would have kept his job if Valchek hadn't gotten a hold of the real stats. He miscalculated because it was clearly easier for Carcetti to blame it on him than his own administration, but still. Then again, the guy manages to stab Daniels in the back on his way out the door still, so gently caress him.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

The top five episodes are probably without a doubt the five penultimate episodes, and I would say where you rank these roughly corresponds to how you rank the seasons. Hard to rank the non-penultimate or finale episodes. One of my favorites of these is "All Prologue" - the middle of season 2, where Omar testifies in court, Ziggy talks with Frank about the old days, and D'Angelo is murdered. But the rest, I'm not sure - guess I should formally kick off this rewatch (skipped the first episode because I've seen it so many times).

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Rewatching again it's jarring to see Herc, Carver and Prez at the towers. I mean, we don't see another scene with such cut and dried police brutality and recklessness until Walker in season 4 - and even he never harassed and humiliated random civilians like that. Walker and Herc at the very least tended to actually harass real criminals even though their methods were inexcusable. Keeping future events in mind, it's lucky Prez didn't kill somebody firing blindly into the towers like that (a child gets accidentally shot by a dealer in a similar scene in season 2, with Bodie's crew and the other crew firing randomly at each other).

I always am reminded that Prez is the only police character we ever see shoot a gun. It's kind of funny because if you look at the promos HBO tried to use to sell the show, they always tried to showcase a cop with a gun drawn (my favorite one was the season 2 promo where they show Bunk pointing his gun and saying "Where is the motherfucking love" when in reality this was just a scene from one of him and Jimmy's drinking episodes, where Bunk is pointing it at his beer).

Also it always sends chills down my spine when I hear Daniels dress down the three of them. Really the guy could be just as intimidating as Rawls when he wanted to be.

One more note on this episode: Dominic West's British accent slips through so much in these early episodes I can't believe I never noticed it before, despite the fact this is far from my first rewatch.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 21, 2012

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Speaking of which, McNulty's shithole apartment always cracks me up.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

watt par posted:

Another police thing, this time specifically about Baltimore:

People will notice the lack of captains in the BPD of the Wire. Daniels is promoted straight from Lieutenant to Major, and Sgt. Landsman seems to be the 2nd in command under Major Rawls at Homicide. In most departments captain is the highest merit and time-in-service based rank one can achieve. After that, it's by appointment only, meaning the higher-ups get their pick of who they want to give commands to. BPD's lack of captains is actually a real thing dating back to 2002 when then commissioner Edward Norris (who played Ed Norris on the show) eliminated the captain rank for internal control reasons.

http://www2.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=3023

One thing I'm always curious about and forgot to ask last night: does the Mayor's Office really have to approve every promotion from Lieutenant and up, as seems to be shown in season 3?

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Randomly Specific posted:

I don't know. I thought on my first viewing that was a sign that he had some kind of principles, but he spends the rest of the series burning everybody who comes near him. I can't think of any other principled moments he had, and he would've burned Carcetti at the end if he hadn't been given the carrot and stick treatment.

Landsman is the one you see showing more principle in the series, what with his attempt at extracting McNulty from the poo poo he got himself into in S1, his handling of Bubbles, etc. He's still going to watch out for number one, but catch him at the right moment and he'll do right by you.

However, the Kima shooting really did bring out the best in everyone. Rawls actually shows real leadership rather than Machiavellian assholery, Burrell sits with Kima's girlfriend after the commissioner waves the situation off, Landsman is serious and on the trail, Daniels does everything he needs to do, Lester rallies the troops.

McNulty gets drunk. Okay, maybe it didn't bring out the best in everyone.

The other Rawls bit I like from that ep was the 'gently caress your money' scene with the DEA agent.

People always mention Rawls at the Kima shooting but another hint of this is shown when Hamsterdam is revealed. Rawls seems to be the only person there who recognizes, maybe even sympathizes, with what Bunny was trying to do - he has a great quote like "Too bad it's gonna cost us all our careers, but brilliant loving plan nonetheless." Of course, he eventually terminates Bunny with extreme apparent satisfaction (the "get on with it, motherf-" scene) so there's your contradiction.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Parachute Underwear posted:

There's a kid around the 19:00 mark of episode 3, when Lester's visiting the gym for a picture of Avon, who looks a hell of a lot like a younger Michael. I can't find any credits for him but it'd make sense for him to be hanging out around the boxing gym.

I noticed this too but it's a complete coincidence. Something similar happens in season 3 where one of the junkies looks exactly like Michael's mom (it may actually be the same actress, though this may not be true and I doubt it was planned I choose to believe its her, since it makes sense.)

In somewhat related trivia that is actually true: Chris' actor has an uncredited cameo in the pilot as a security guard in the courtroom.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Skeesix posted:

This is interesting in terms of his later depictions of Marlo: doesn't he get to be a higher-up eventually?

Also, don't they foreshadow a Marlo-esque future for Kenard, who is about as close to evil as anyone portrayed in the series?

I think he meant more on the police/public institution side of things. I would say he achieved this for the most part but with mixed results. Much of this should be discussed a lot later but: Royce and Burrell have many flaws but it's clearly shown that the thing to blame is the structure that put them there, not the people themselves. (And I would argue Royce showed more humanity than Burrell, whose only human moment was consoling Kima's girlfriend in season 1. He shows absolutely zero concern or skill for anything for the whole series other than preserving his own job.) Carcetti clearly had some genuine idealism in him to start, but he basically was like a political version of Rawls: his ambition overrode any principles or actual useful skills he had. I would argue Simon fell short of this goal in season 5 with the news editors, but that's a discussion for another day. Of course the exception is the few clear villains on the show such as Valchek, Levy and Clay Davis who simply exploit the system.

The important thing, though, is that everyone on the show is clearly institutionally conditioned. Marlo and Kenard may be evil but they're clearly intended - at least, this is what Simon argues - as the logical conclusion to a generation that grew up DURING the War on Drugs and the accelerated economic marginalization of the poor blacks in Baltimore. This is why Avon and Stringer seem a bit more benevolent - because they're from an earlier generation where it actually seemed possible to dream higher, and where the ideals of community were stronger. (This is made quite explicit when Prop Joe is killed by Marlo, who he misread even worse than Stringer did, in his grandpa's old house, which he keeps living in out of pride.) Wee-Bey says in season 4 that if someone like Marlo existed "back in the day" he would have been killed and buried in the woods pretty quickly. They're both beholden to the drug game which actually HAS changed, despite what Slim says ("Game the same. Just more fierce").

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 27, 2012

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

What makes The Corner even more depressing now is the fact DeAndre - who played Brother Mouzone's assistant Lamar - never got past his old demons, despite the opportunities Simon gave him over the years. He recently died of a drug overdose while waiting to be arrested over a pharmacy robbery in Baltimore. Simon wrote a wonderful obituary about it and put the smack down on a commenter suggesting Simon had over-romanticized DeAndre's life and overlooked his flaws and mistakes. The gist of it was, yes this guy made mistakes, but by turning that fact into a justification to ignore his death and devalue his life you're making the same mistake everyone fighting the War on Drugs has made.

http://davidsimon.com/deandre-mccullough-1977-2012/

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

ChikoDemono posted:

I like to think he does care about the people whose murders he tries to solves. Rewatching season 2 and he seemed dead set on figuring out the identity of the first Jane Doe so she wouldn't have an anonymous burial.

On the other hand, there's an interesting scene near the end of season 1, when he learns of Wallace' murder while in the car with Daniels. Daniels says "poor fuckin' kid" or something and McNulty's first thought is how it fucks up the case against Stringer.

I think he did care with the dead Jane Doe, because that unmarked mass grave he describes sounds pretty horrifying even by the standards of Baltimore. But overall, the whole purpose of McNulty and to a lesser extent, other detectives was specifically to go against the "myth of caring." Either they just treat it like any other job, or they're like Jimmy and just like to prove they're smarter than the criminals. Although in this sense I don't know what to make of Bunk, who seems to have a lot more compassion in doing his job than others we see.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 7, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Jerusalem posted:

It goes back to his limited self-awareness. He's human/self-aware enough to feel guilty over Bodie's death - after all, he "knew" Bodie, would chat to him on the street and had worked out a rough peacetime compromise with him over when to be on the corners and when not, and it was his "fault" that Bodie was killed. But that's temporary, his guilt over Bodie's death is quickly overcome by his overwhelming need to "beat" the bad guy (Marlo this time, Stringer in the past, Avon before that) and "win". "I owe it to this dead corner kid" quickly goes from genuine contrition to just another in a long line of justifications for his own lovely behavior.

Even before Bodie's death, McNulty was poking around the Marlo investigation, asking Bunk and Lester questions, and they were goading him to join the hunt.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

I think it's unfair to call Bunk a "company man". On the show the term is used to connote guys who only care about ADVANCING their careers (ie. Rawls, Valchek, Daniels in the early episodes). Bunk is merely self-preservative which is something he shares with every other detective save for the self-destructive Jimmy. And he does stand up to the bosses from time to time, like when he refused to investigate Dozerman's gun or when he sprung Omar from jail. And he still manages to be one of the best homicide detectives.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Based on some of Carver's behaviour in these early episodes I think it's probably fair to say he started out with a similar mindset to Walker. He did grow up in the projects himself and does use the term "project niggers".

On this note, one of my favorite rear end in a top hat McNulty moments is when him and Kima see the local sheriff-type guy in Virginia (?) and McNulty starts to act racist because he assumes the guy is, and then it turns out he has a black wife.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Always amuses me how Omar seems to be the only one on the street who knows who's snitching and how to spot the cops when they're running surveillance (at least until Marlo figures it out in S5). His first episode might have been where he figured out Bubs was a snitch - he sees Sydnor and Bubs talking, then the police van driving away and laughs. And for whatever reason none of the other dealers ever realize this about Bubs through four seasons.

In fact in an alternate life I think Omar might have made a hell of a detective. For season 4 he basically is the Major Crimes Unit.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

My favorite reaction is Lester's. He finally gets Herc and Carver to stop whining about the surveillance jobs when he tells them it's the only way to get back at who shot Kima.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Pretty much the entirety of the Bird trial is unrealistic, just enjoy it (much like the Clay Davis trial we see later).

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Unzip and Attack posted:

I love speculating about the futures of the characters of this show. I know it's not the most practical thing to do given that the writers have said everything they want to say about them, but I can't help not imagining what McNulty or Michael do following the last credits. Perhaps the most interesting to speculate on is Marlo though - the guy has millions of dollars of clean money. Enough to get out of the game for good and live a pretty lavish lifestyle if he wants it. But all he cares about is his rep, as he shows in his last scene. I like to think that without Chris and Snoop backing him, Marlo attempts to get back in the game and gets taken out by Michael. Maybe too Hollywood I know, but that would have been a fierce showdown.

EDIT - I love "you're a soldier Boadie". You can tell McNulty actually has a lot of respect for Boadie, but it's laced with a bit of sadness too. Great line that really sums up a relationship between two compelling characters.

It's a big contrast to their first meeting in episode 2, where they treat each other with mutual contempt. "You, me, my partner, and Mr. poo poo here."

McNulty wasn't part of Homicide when they were doing the investigation over who shot the little kid in season 2, but I like to think he would have known better than to try that "we have your prints on the gun" trick. Bodie was always very street smart, but not smart enough :smith:

In the same vein I always like the scene early in season 4 where Carver pulls up to Bodie's corner and starts busting his balls about their long history.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 25, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

SlimWhiskey posted:

Rewatched the first episode the other day, and something occurred to me. How exactly does McNulty know about Avon? I've seen the episode three times, but it never seems explained. When questioned about it, McNulty just says "Everyone knows." But he seems to be the only guy in the whole BPD who has even heard the name.

I think Avon's lack of name recognition is deliberately exaggerated to emphasize how much the BPD has gone away from actual meaningful investigations and how concentrated they are on the worthless street-level stuff.

Also, I think the story is supposed to be that Avon hadn't been the king for that long before the series started. McNulty knows about him only because of the several witnesses they scared or bought away, and I think he gives Rawls like 3 or 4 names aside from the guy D killed. My guess is he saw Stringer and co in the courtroom and just did some independent work to figure out who they were.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

That plot always makes it seem way older than it actually is, to me. Nick is so baffled by computers and digital cameras and its easy to forget that it's only 2003 (I think) and Nick is a pretty old school, blue collar guy. I also like how Ziggy is considered a computer genius for being able to google drug ingredients and put a picture of his dick as Maui's wallpaper. GODDAMMIT ZIGGY GET YOUR DICK OFF MY COMPUTER!

It's funny how, aside from the wire, the use of technology is generally portrayed as a really inefficient method used by lazy, dumb cops (Herc and Carver in season 2, Herc in season 4.)

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 28, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

West was great in the role but he never got the unforgettable dramatic scenes that many other characters got. I mean, near everyone was great but he's not the guy I think of when I think of the best acting in the show. I'm sure he could have if he was asked to, but that's the key, there was no need to give him them.

An important exception is the episode where Kima gets shot. And pretty much any scene with him and Bunk drinking is brilliant.

Interesting what if: according to Sepinwall, one of the guys initially considered for McNulty was John C. Reilly.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 28, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Carcetti doesn't really sell out after eating bowls of poo poo, he basically sells out the moment the DNC woman tells him he could be governor in two years if he plays his cards right (ie. before he even officially becomes mayor.) he's shown to have ideals initially but he's also clearly a narcissistic politician like the rest, even as a Councilman, and the latter wins out over the former pretty quickly.

The bowls of poo poo we see him take aren't even from the upper institutions for the most part, the metaphor is supposed to be about managing the various special interests as mayor (ie. the ministers, who give him his first bowl with Herc.)

The moment that makes me hate Carcetti the most is when he apologizes to Bunny like two years after the fact for shutting down Hamsterdam, and Bunny is so appalled at the audacity he's speechless. At that point he's probably madder that Carcetti shut down the Hamsterdam school program (or rather, his staff did).

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 29, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Carcetti complains that by taking the money he would be giving the Governor (and the Republicans) a massive political leg-up and it would take him a few years at least to recover from the damage, so he could kiss being Governor goodbye.... for the time being.

At no point does Carcetti ever seem to think to himself,"And... so what?" - he puts his own personal interests ahead of the welfare of the children and exposes himself (particularly to Norman) as just another politician who talks a good game but whose true interests are in his own career.

Well yeah, obviously Carcetti established himself as an irredeemable hack just like the rest the minute he rejected the money. His repugnance just reaches its peak when he crashes the high school debate with Namond, using it as an opportunity to grandstand about how this proves how he's improved education in Baltimore, and THEN he has the balls to go and pretend to Colvin that he ever had any principles.

Another thing Carcetti did to gently caress over the city that doesn't get mentioned as much: to secure his run for governor, he has to give something like half the city's budget to the Congressman from PG County (I think) in order to prevent him from running.

I know this is like two seasons ahead from where we're supposed to be, I just think Carcetti doesn't get enough credit for being a despicable character. Hell, arguably Royce shows more backbone than he does, at least he considered trying to make Hamsterdam work.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Parachute Underwear posted:

Season 2's final two episodes are amazing. I absolutely love how well they show that the Greek is never in any position in which he appears to feel threatened--especially in his final scene at the airport where he says, "Business. Always business," with the nicest old man smile. To the Major Cases squad, it's a minor victory. To him, it's an equally (or even less) minor inconvenience. He's so cocky that, even with the possibility of being identified, he walks right in front of the police's nose twice just because he can.

The scenes with Frank and his brother, and then Frank and Nick are also excellent.

I always forget about Frank's brother. The scene where he calls Frank out for how much damage he's done to his family is amazing, where he's shocked to find out Nick was dealing heroin. I never quite understand the deal with him though, he was part of another union that collapsed (I think, not sure if this is explicitly said), but seems to live in sort of-peaceful retirement. Did he just see the writing on the wall and retired at the right time, unlike Frank's desperate attempts to keep the union alive?

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

ukiyo e posted:

Prissy Katwell, although I am not sure of the spelling.

It's actually a tragic twist too, because since Nick is at her house the morning of the Sobotka busts, it means that his arrest gets delayed and that there's just more opportunity for Vondas to talk to him. Of course the cops were the ones who made the (unrealistic) mistake of letting Frank leave while they waited for him to get a lawyer.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just watched season 2 for the 4th time. A pro and a con.

Con: Frank Sobotka remains horribly overrated to me. He's thieving, only concerned for his group of people, but then that gloriously self important "we used to make things, now we just stick our hand in the next guy's pocket" - like he's so noble in his stealing? I don't know, he's commonly regarded as this hero struggling against all odds, but I see him as overwhelmingly selfish.

Pro: Amy Ryan's Beadie Russell on viewing Frank Sobotka's corpse is the perfect culmination of everything. She, the actress and the character, are juggling all of this "fake police cum real police" "casual friend vs professional" "thrill of the chase vs quiet family life" emotion. It's a wordless scene but god it's just a brilliant performance.

Remember that Frank is a tragic character, not a pure "hero" - in fact, pretty much zero characters in the show fit that label. i think by the end of the season, right before his death, it's made quite clear that Frank's doomed, arguably delusional devotion to the union came at a cost - that he, in his words, "flushed his fuckin' family" and even after the dead women was astoundly naive about the Greek's business and what Ziggy and Nick were caught up in.

As for his "selfishness" I'd say he's one of the few characters on the show who actually tries to do something about a real social problem in a way that's not about him. Yes, he does so at a terrible cost but still.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 1, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

That reminds me of one of my favorite Wire things: the sophisticated-ghetto phrases. "I'm about to lose my composure out this bitch!" "You equivocatin' like a motherfucker." "Chair ain't recognize your rear end." And my personal favorite, "Adjourn your asses". And of course many a Prop Joe line.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 2, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

joepinetree posted:

To me, at least, the newspaper story is done in a far more heavy handed way than what you see elsewhere. It is perhaps the one "institutional" story where good guys and bad guys, right and wrong are clearly set apart, with very little gray. Which is not to say that it is a bad season. Just not nearly as good as the others.

Exactly. I honestly have more trouble with the newspaper plot than the fake serial killer, which at least provides a lot of black comedy. Gus is too much of an author insert (Bunny is also an author insert but for Ed Burns, yet he's much more fleshed out and interesting), and Gale Boetticher and the suspenders guy are too one dimensional. Simon just never got over the way things ended for him at the Sun, it seems. And as Sepinwall has pointed out, Scott Templeton seems exactly the sort of "bad apple" that the show fairly specifically portrays NOT as a thing in other institutions. (To this end, what really makes me despise that character is that his fabulism is indirectly responsible for destroying Daniels' career in the department - he makes up a quote about Daniels stabbing Burrell in the back, which infuriates Burrell to the point of not going quietly, and slipping Nerese Campbell the Daniels file before he leaves.)

It's really frustrating because the intrinsic message of season 5, which is entirely in subtext, is basically this, to quote Simon: if you think the media is ever going to give a poo poo about any of the sort of stories and problems portrayed on The Wire, think again. The most important thematic moments in season 5, by design, are blink-and-you-miss-it or nonexistent altogether - when Prop Joe dies, Gus doesn't recognize his name; the police department is falling apart because Carcetti chose to reject the state money and nobody reports on this; when the Marlo investigation shuts down, nobody from the paper even thinks about it. To me, this is just as powerful a message as any of the other 4, but it's not executed that well for the reasons above. And there are some potentially great stuff about the media that gets abandoned, like the whole "less is more" thing.

That said season 5 gets better the more I watch it. As I've said I always forget how much black comedy is in that season. And the ending, of course, is perfect.

Mind you I think season 4 was the best season of TV I've ever watched so it would have been impossible to follow up on that.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 7, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

DarkCrawler posted:

On the fourth season re-watch, I think Officer Walker really is the worst character on the show. I mean, worse then DeLonda, even. Where do police like that come from? I don't see him coming from a very privileged background, so shouldn't he have at least some sympathy? I've never met a cop anywhere close to being that mean - it's like the whole badge is just an excuse for him to torture and steal from people. He's the only 100% evil police officer on the show too, Colicchio is just a dumb guy with no actual malevolence and Herc is stupid as gently caress but overall is little bit more good then bad.

The lack of a privileged background is kind of the point - I think Simon said Walker reflects an unfortunate tendency among some black cops who grew up in the inner city to be highly prejudiced against those who are still there.

Also beg to differ on Herc, he's dumb as gently caress, yes, but where I draw the line is where this causes him to have literally no idea how much damage he causes and no hint of remorse whatsoever. At the end of the series he's completely sold his soul, and I think even he knows this. I think in the 4th season Herc is selfish as much as he is dumb - I wonder if things could have turned out differently if he'd been upfront about his fuckup with the camera instead of making up a CI and waiting for IID to come for him?

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 7, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

DarkCrawler posted:

Okay, Season 4, last episode, Kima comes at Herc's door, he is suspended, all that. Kima tells him that "gently caress what they say, this here is police work. And I'm asking if you police." And he goes yes. He is not the unredeemable rear end in a top hat that everyone in this thread is saying. Just stupid. He is stupid, I am not disputing that. But saying that he is bad...is wrong. Seriously, more I am looking at this, more redemption Herc gets. Call it another of those Wire watch-troughs that you always find new poo poo in.

You're forgetting the fact he spends most of the time doing "police work" in that scene whining to Bunk and Kima about how he's about to get fired for being a moron, hoping they'll have some way to save him.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

3spades posted:

In The Wire Bible (aka the rough draft David Simon wrote to pitch HBO), D actually snitches and takes witness protection I think. It ends with him down south, in New Orleans IIRC.

drat, that has me dreaming of a Treme/Wire crossover (even though I never watched past the first season of Treme for reasons unknown.)

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Something I noticed rewatching that episode that I'd never noticed before: before giving Mahone the cigarette, even Polk joins in on the beating of Bodie for a bit. He does it kind of half heatedly but even a worthless, burnt out cop still can have a cop moment :allears:

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Carver writes up Colicchio not for the act itself but because he showed zero remorse for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

Yeah actually to the contrary, I would say that was one of McNulty's BETTER moments. Brianna completely deserved the smackdown he lays, and as you point out he is correct. He even says he's sorry for bringing it up again because he knows nobody will give a poo poo except him, it's just another one of his smartest-gently caress-in-the-room exercises. (Though I wonder what he'd think if he knew that his investigation would eventually be a direct catalyst to the collapse of the Barksdale empire.)

Really the only difference between D'Angelo's mom and Namond's mom (who might be the most repugnant character in the entire series) is that D'Angelo had more agency, whereas Namond required a miracle.