Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

^^My guess at the time was that he figured the car was totaled and crashing it a few more times couldn't hurt, so why not? :shobon: McNutty gives zero fucks.^^

solovyov posted:

You can hear a train whistle in the background just before he falls.

It's really interesting seeing how trains keep on turning up (well, twice so far) during McNulty's more self destructive moments. He's already struggling with The Wire's terrible bureaucratic systems on a very personal level, with his fight over visitation rights as well as the Avon Barksdale fiasco. His inner demons are literally "the system", personified by an unstoppable locomotive, and he's placed himself on the tracks.

That's enough armchair analysis for now. I've only watched The Wire once about four years ago, so I'll lurk until my memory is refreshed. This is a fun thread and the detailed episode review is a good idea.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

escape artist posted:

See, but that's what Simon said is an incorrect analysis. I know it seems so obvious, but apparently Simon says it's much deeper than that.

Huh.

An oncoming locomotive seems like a simple metaphor. They don't deviate, and anything that gets in their way is destroyed. Maybe there's some other quality that Simon had in mind?

The only other thing I can come up with is that trains represent the inevitability of progress. I got the impression that McNulty was one of the old guard, and while at first he's presented as being in his element, he gradually gets sidelined as the show goes on, and the drug game changes. This culminates in the last season with McNulty's crazy fake serial killer scheme. Baltimore does change quite a bit throughout the series, and while some of it changes for the better, a lot of people are crushed under the feetlocomotive wheels of said progress.