Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Philthy posted:

I enjoyed it, but it's definitely more documentary than drama. More The Corner and less The Wire. At least, that is my first impression.

I’ve watched episode one three times today, and picked up a little bit more each time.

I know almost nothing about the real story and in the interest of drama I haven’t researched it. The time jumps did throw me off a bit on the first viewing but it’s making more sense after seeing it a couple more times.

Really, really digging this so far. It is loving grim, and Bernthal owns.

Also, although she’s only had one scene so far, it was kind of wild to see Gabrielle Carteris, who I haven’t seen since I watched 90120 about half a lifetime ago in the early 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

- I knew those robbers were cops the second the one dude said "watch my six". It stood out to me as language that only people of a certain profession use. Getting some real Training Day/Denzel vibes from G-Money.

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize who they were either. And I feel bad for not seeing it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'm on S02E05, after my first watch season 2 was my favourite

Season two ended up being my favorite as well. And it's funny, because I had watched S1 as it aired, and the first few episodes of S2 I remember thinking about the dockworker story, "This is extremely well-written and well-acted, but what does this have to do with what we saw in season one?! It's like a whole different show!"

And then of course as season two goes on, we learn exactly what the dockworker story has to do with the overarching story, and it's brilliant.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It's one of the big lessons from Season 2 I think, the idea that these industries that were VITAL to the country and to the enormous wealth they generated for the owners were just immediately abandoned or shifted elsewhere without a second thought the very moment it was more profitable to do so. You have giant chunks of the population who got sold on the lie of "hard work is rewarded" and told that their work was a part of something greater and they could take pride in being working class and the system was designed for them to succeed by putting in that work and then whoops there's a robot that can do it so gently caress off and die, poors, we don't need you anymore. The people left behind have spent generations working in an industry, and they know how good things used to be and they think they can somehow bring that back, but the people with the power to do that have only gotten richer by automating or outsourcing or stripping away all the hard-fought for protections and gains in order to exploit people more.

What do you do when you did everything right all your life and not only got left with nothing, but are having poo poo actively taken away from you by people who are benefiting enormously from your exploitation? You get angry and you look to other ways to survive, and then the same people who hosed you over get to decry that you're criminals and subhuman and gently caress you over even more (and if you get sent to prison, exploit you for even more cash!).

I'd say that's a perfect description of s2. Some of these stevedores are old enough to remember a time when they were kids, their dads worked on the docks, and at the time it was enough so that their families could live in a decent place, and he'd get a pension to retire on.

Now though, those places their parents used to live are boarded-up rowhouses, guys are lucky to get a couple of shifts per week, and the city refuses to dredge the harbor to allow larger ships to come in. Things are getting worse for everyone every day. Like Simon said in the interview someone quoted, the death of work. Also the death of the America of the past.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't have anything insightful to add to this thread. I just wanted to say that while I've kept up with new posts here, I realized I hadn't actually watched the show since probably 2015 or so.

So this last weekend when I saw HBO was marathoning S1 in observance of the 20-year anniversary (where in the gently caress does the time go?!?) I jumped in.

What an absolutely incredible show. You can count me among those who believe it to be the greatest show of all time.

Maybe I do have one thing to add. This was probably touched on years ago in here, but watching S2 I am struck by how almost all the music we hear the characters listening to is old. Like, everything is early-60s and earlier. From the times Frank and especially the older stevedores look back on wistfully as the Good Old Days, before everything went to poo poo and the city began to rot.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It had been so long since I watched this that I'd forgotten a lot of great moments.

Somehow, this was one of them. It's hilarious:

https://youtu.be/Yx0Y-u_503k

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is something really appealing about seeing Stringer go from throwing around terms like “market saturation” and hoping his enforcers will be impressed, to him getting bilked and humiliated by absolute snake Clay Davis

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really love the look that his enforcers give each other in that "market saturation" scene after he says that

Haha yeah, and from the back seat his eyes flick back and forth between them, expecting a “Whooa, String, that DEEP!” kind of reaction

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that was a nice, simple device used to help orient the viewer.

Don’t mean at all to try to run you out of this thread, but we were talking about it a lot in its dedicated thread back when it was airing. Discussion has died down a bit now though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001457

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

Best cold open is S4E01 when Snoop is in the hardware store buying the nail gun. “He said if you wanna shoot nails this here’s the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he don’t know it”.

Quotin’ for truth. You earned that bump like a motherfucker, man. Keep that poo poo.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

algebra testes posted:

I lost my poo poo at "Lester Freamon. Pawn Shop Unit." in Season 1, and already laughing at "When we step off ship, English is once again heard right?" "Pretty much, yeah."

mishy gishy gushy gushy mishy meshy mushy, motherfucker

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does he... stand alone

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have to say, Lester going all-in on Jimmy's fake serial killer thing was something that was kind of jarring to me at the time, and one of my main problems with S5, but the explanations given lately ITT are the first time I've really ever seen Lester's motivations and proclivities this way. It does make sense.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Human Tornada posted:

The serial killer and journalism plots really aren't that bad and both have some classic scenes (the FBI profile of McNutty, for one).

I have to say, this has got to be my single favorite scene of the entire show. Dominic West does some incredible (and hilarious) acting in that scene with only his facial expressions

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

teen phone cutie posted:

thank god for dominic west, some of his facial expressions absolutely hit it out of the park

Things like this being posted always call for this clip to be posted in response:

https://youtu.be/vn0ylNZhOJI

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve wanted to watch that for years and have never been able to find it.

That ‘88 David Simon book is *awesome*

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He was only 60. And always looked to be in great shape.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Okay, I had never seen this before and it’s loving hilarious!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did SA ever have a Deadwood thread? I searched in TVIV but never found a dedicated thread for the show.

I figure there should be one archived somewhere. I’ve started rewatching this for the first time in maybe ten years, and I would like to read a thread with goon reactions as the show aired, if there was one.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

escape artist was actually planning a Deadwood rewatch thread at some point, which I was quite keen on seeing/taking part in. Not sure if that idea has been abandoned or just put on the backburner.

As for livethreads (archives needed):

Season 1
Season 1 (Rerun thread)
Season 2
Season 3
Television Movie

Excellent, thank you!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This is how I feel about Patriot.

Cool.

:)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d like to talk Deadwood but I’m too lazy to make an OP for a new thread, and I also think a new Deadwood thread wouldn’t get a lot of traction due to it being so niche and also the series aired from like 2004-2006.

There is a still-live thread, I think it is still live at least, for the Deadwood movie that came out about five years ago.

Would it be bad forums etiquette to bump and resurrect that one? I don’t want to piss people off.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Patriot ruled, and I think most everyone missed it.

It’s very Coen-ish style dark comedy, and would probably be right up the alley of many of the regular posters ITT.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh yes, you’re right, my bad.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll give it this much: it gave us one of the best scenes in the show when the FBI profiler breaks down the killer and describes Jimmy to a tee.

PREACH!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Don't think there is an active thread for the show in general(?) but here are the old threads for each individual season, and the Season 3 thread is still "open":

True Detective Season 1
True Detective Season 2
True Detective Season 3

Thanks for linking these.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes. It is well worth it to read this thread in its entirety after you finish the series. But I’d stay out of here until then.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started watching Patriot finally after a bunch of you recommended it and I can't stop thinking of this SNL sketch whenever I watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDsRXhtHW9Q

Haha, yeah! For those that haven’t seen it this is the scene in Patriot:

https://youtu.be/G7Do2tlYLhs?si=Basdi-0ec5a-aHcd

e: If I’m not mistaken, Kurtwood Smith wrote all that himself

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah but LMAO at that one person talking about how 24 is much more accurate to real life than The Wire

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

That last sentence is in reference to The Wire, not 24 I think. It feels like it's somewhat praising The Wire, while trying to explain that it's not a fast-moving thriller like 24.

Oh yeah, I completely misread that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also the Jimmy serial killer profiling scene

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m one of the people who has this thread a different color so it stands out, and I read all posts.

So any newbies in here, please don’t be shy about sharing your thoughts as you go through it. I may not always reply, but I do read everything.

I’ve also decided, thanks to recent posts, to rewatch We Own This City.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

surf rock posted:

Closing out season 3:

- Speaking of waiting for the other shoe to drop, Brother Mouzone is back! He's kind of a cartoon character, but it's still fun.

He and Omar both are like cartoon characters, characters from a completely different show. But it still just… works!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SNOTBOOGIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Watch We Own This City next and do recaps please.

There’s an idea! It’s only five episodes, too.