Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously, the lift camera shot is repeated in "-30-"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NastyPBears posted:

Can anyone else remember a specific scene that really sold them on this show?

Mine is when the cops are raiding the spot and one of the old Irish cops gets knocked to the ground. They all start hitting the dealer who shoved him and Kima runs over. I though she was going to be all professional and PC and I kind of rolled my eyes a bit...

But I was terrible at judging this show, I was convinced it was about D's salvation, until it wasn't

"This is literally my dick in your ear"

But seriously, "Got to man, this is America" and I was hooked.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

^^My guess at the time was that he figured the car was totaled and crashing it a few more times couldn't hurt, so why not? :shobon: McNutty gives zero fucks.^^

It's really interesting seeing how trains keep on turning up (well, twice so far) during McNulty's more self destructive moments. He's already struggling with The Wire's terrible bureaucratic systems on a very personal level, with his fight over visitation rights as well as the Avon Barksdale fiasco. His inner demons are literally "the system", personified by an unstoppable locomotive, and he's placed himself on the tracks.

That's enough armchair analysis for now. I've only watched The Wire once about four years ago, so I'll lurk until my memory is refreshed. This is a fun thread and the detailed episode review is a good idea.

Which is great, because in season one, he is literally pissing in the face of the system, and then decides at the last second that he's actually going to work within it. A great metaphor about how almost hosed he was at that moment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvanSchenck posted:

True. The episode summaries probably need a running tally of scenes involving trains, train tracks, and so forth, so we can work this out.

Yes. If EA doesn't want to do it I'll do the train-spotter's guide to the Wire. :radcat:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

escape artist posted:

I remember that. Another example is when Day-Day thinks that Cedric is a criminal, and starts talking about crime with him.

"Daniels... but you can call me 'Lieutenant'" :haw:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's in British programing regularly.

I really enjoyed the humble-rear end motherfucker with a big dick in Horrible Bosses. But it was christmas day so I'm pretty sure I'd drank enough to enjoy even Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is "y'all can't be playing checkers on no chess board" a sly nod to conforming to the system? Really great at establishing D as a guy who follows the system (at least at that point)

Is "(If I make it to the end of the board), I'm top dawg." A comment on how in institutions, the real winners are the aren't the best or smartest, but quite often the survivors? Rawls for example, compared to Daniels.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This season really develops the main themes to another level. Hey, here are the people in the towers, they can't find actual employment so they turn to dealing drugs, and society at large doesn't care about them until a judge takes interest in them, for superficial reasons (if they were real reasons he wouldn't have pulled out during re-election).

Then you have the second season, where the same thing happens again, only with the dock workers and this time it takes a pissed off Police major(?) before anyone cares, and yet again for superficial reasons.

And then, there are the girls who people care even less about than the criminals in the first place showing that when you think you have the bottom, you can go even lower.

And then of course it takes it to even more interesting places in seasons three, four and five, but this is just the start.

I've never understood why people may have founds this season much of a change, it's still telling the same stories. Actually, one of this show's skills is telling very simple stories and repeating the same themes over and over again without seeming simple or repetitive. Indeed, it comes across quite the opposite in my opinion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Febreeze posted:

i think the character has a record of being featured in the most television shows. Munch might be a God.

Let me tell you a little something about Hulkamania, brother!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A drat this show moment: In season 4 the kids say "I'll take any mother fucker's money if he givin' it away" after the get money from Marlo.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

edit: In that same episode he echoes the same line. This show. This. drat. Show.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 19, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never noticed that that particular line was echoed in the same episode by the kids, no. :downs:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the one where they sit there laughing about someone in the wire getting shot in the start of a movie after having a screen time of like five seconds, and then talk about some guy's wife for the rest .

Great write up on season three. And now we begin one of my favorite seasons of television ever.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 4, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rewatching season 2 thanks to this thread.

Don't go under the bridge Frank. :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

The Greek and his crew totally misread Frank but it's Frank who ends up paying for it. Such is the game. The king stay the king.

One thing in my rewatch I never remembered was the report says he tried to fight back. That's Frank, fighting to the end against something he can't defeat. :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know bunny turns up, but I thought Marlo was Ep 1 S3?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I thought I might legalize drugs" cracks me up every time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And the real jay landsman working for fake jay landsman.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What about that end of the season with Daniel's finely chiseled rear end?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite moment is kima going "man, I feel really bad what I did to lester"

McNulty: "You get used to it."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how everyone in this show has HBO :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hah David Simon's commentaries are great.

IT'S ABOUT THE WAR IN IRAQ, HOW COME YOU DON'T GET THIS?!?!?

But seriously, him being a tease about the railway in the commentary is pretty great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

McNerd posted:

Anybody got the goods on the railroad track thing? I refuse to take "an explanation would ruin it" for an answer.

In that episode, in season 3 the train isn't heading in their direction (in fact it's stopped), which makes me think it's probably just a metaphor for McNulty and the police force because McNulty's on his last case and isn't trying to gently caress things up, unlike in season one where he's deliberately pissing people off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd really like that CIA thing. :stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"not on the phone" indicates that Stringer knows what he's doing is illegal and is trying to hide it. there aren't many other ways to interpret that statement. It would be weaker evidence if he said what are you talking about, what hitters?

It always cracks me up when bodie goes to him in season 3 "Yo, the police picked me up man"
*String looks away uneasily*
"Well you shouldn't sell drugs"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bucketybuck posted:

And what will that get him? Proving that he knows people in the game and that they know his number seems very small beans really, would a first timer get prison for that?

You have to go get the warrants signed off on, and the people who you need to convince are hard to convince people. "Trust us he's part of this network but he hasn't said anything" doesn't really get you far. If you say "We have a phone call from a guy who we have evidence of him being involved with drug activity calling stringer bell and stringer responds 'not on the phone'" then they whip the pen out and sign that warrant.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think you've got Carv and Herc early on as "just wanting to bust heads" but they do it in a sort of honorable way, you have to kinda have someone that shows "busting heads" just because they love the power of it all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herc is great because his development comes from not learning the lessons that carver does. So after loving everything up by not paying attention and not learning he ends up getting kicked out and has a new job and starts learning at last.

I really like the way he simultaneously fucks Marlo by giving Carv the number, and then saves him by working out there wasn't an official wire tap.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah those newspaper guys are such mustache twirling villains and end up being less understandable than any of the cold blooded murderers on the street.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like when they're selling Death Grip.

And I imagine they get to the corners and there's actually nobody there to sell it to you.

ninja: Or the Barksdale gang breaks up like, three times but always gets together.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Scott always bugged me because he's the most moustache twirling villain in the entire series, and for that reason he's so uninteresting to me as a character.

Also, show me a hero is great. With a few friendly faces in it. ;)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite is still when the go to the FBI place for the profile.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Death Grip"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

And he won't even have to give it back!

This has not gotten enough love.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And just incase people aren't in the know, he wrote and directed Spotlight, a film about investigative journalism. And played the bad journalist in the Wire.

That's some amazing irony synergy right there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't follow the oscars, did Tom McCarthy (Templeton) win for writing Spotlight?

Man, I gotta see that.

Best picture, he wrote and directed it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He does briefly in s5, he is one of the people who got lost in the shorter season 5 shuffle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wheres wallace doesnt sting as much now I know he went 12 rounds with the champ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That scene with Valcheck getting picture and saying a something in polish after frank dies always gets me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Melon posted:

The only problem the crew has with Slim offing Cheese is him not waiting to get the connect money first. It's great.

"This sentimental motherfucker just cost us money" :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nerdist Writers Panel did a good podcast with David Simon and some other dude worth listening too.

The Bowling Ball story :allears:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 4, 2016