Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why is Marlo so feared? It's Chris that does all the hard work. They're like the opposite of Avon and Stringer, where Avon is the warrior and Stringer is corporate management.

No one knows who's killing who, they just know that anyone who gets on his bad side disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CBJSprague24 posted:

His mom is remarkable. Wee Bey gets thrown in prison and she needs someone to help sustain her lifestyle, so the next person up is her son, who clearly wants no part of it; no fucks given. I was glad to see things turned out well for him in his one scene in season 5.

Doesn't she get paid by Barksdales anyways as compensation for Wee Bey confessing to all the murders?
I got the idea that Namon didn't have to do any of it and was doing it because his dad was a big deal and he felt compelled to.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

werdnam posted:

Just got to season 5 on my first watch. After episode 2 , all I can say is, what the gently caress, Jimmy?

I really enjoyed McNulty's arc up to this season and was happy to see him settle down with Beadie. I even thought he'd learned something and be able to keep his poo poo together in major crimes. No, now he's loving it all up again. I don't think I've ever been so angry at a TV character.

He's an addict. He can't stop.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eason the Fifth posted:

--I haven't watched The Plot Against America. I hear it's pretty good, but it's one of those shows about fascism that came out under Trump and I wasn't much in the mood (sort of like watching The Leftovers during covid lockdown)

I had forgotten that this was also Simon. It was a good show with the exception of the ending. First, the fascists end up being Right All Along because the Jews did have a secret plot to kill Limburgh. And more topically: It works as they thought it would. They remove Lindburgh and everything goes back to normal and FDR wins. Despite all his protests to the contrary the last episode is 100% What Libs Thought Would Happen in 2020.
But also I'm Jewish so I have a soft spot for shows with unapologetic Jewish characters doing Jewish things and pandering to Jewish Americans.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alhazred posted:

It was the brits who set up the assassination of Lindbergh. The show also ends with agents burning ballot boxes so it's up in the air weather or not everything goes back to normal

Rothschilds are back, baybee

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is there a Generation Kill thread? I started the series last night and this definitely feels like "The Wire: Iraq"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

Is there a Generation Kill thread still active?

I went to make one and then got distracted breaking out slang and jargon in episode one and gave up.
TV IV > Generation Kill: David Simon's Other Never-Ending War Show
or
Generation Kill: Not Very Poggers

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

Christ, the sense of impending dread in GK is palpable. I mean...on top of all the other horrible poo poo so far. Which is dreadful enough.

But it's loving with me in the way it's subverting my expectations since 4 episodes in and within the main cast, they've suffered zero casualties so far. A few times, I was expecting an IED, a booby trap, a sniper or a suicide bomb truck. I can't see them all making it out alive but then again that might be the play here where we just see the ptsd and psychological wounds, which is an ace Simon move. I was sure at least a few main characters would have bought it by now..

It's really good but it sure isn't Feel Good, especially in the wake of the Afghanistan withdrawal and the 9/11 anniversary. I may have timed this particular watch rather poorly.

One of the main things throwing me off are all the acronyms since I'm not real up on military jargon but that's on me and I appreciate the show not dumbing that down. I wonder what CHUDS think of this. I bet they view it much differently than my take away so far.

Really interesting watching Ziggy too in a much different role. I'm surprised there's actually not more carry over from The Wire and The Corner casts and, along those lines, it's odd to see so few black characters given Simon's track record there and knowing what we know about disproportionate military enlistment among minorities and how often they get put in harm's way.

There's a reason why episode 1 opened with the training exercise. It tells you how they were trained and what they were expecting when they moved on Bagdad
And why is so important that what they do has nothing to do with that. The tanks at the airfield? Abandoned. They're supposed to be the tip of the spear but they never get a chance to do that. They're basically hyped on Rocket Fuel (as Ziggy says) and looking to finally get to shoot something. Their unit was already in Afghanistan where it's implied they didn't get a "real" mission because Afghanistan didn't have a proper military. Next section I think it's beyond episode 4
And then they finally do and almost every time it's awful. Trombly kills some kids, the turret Gunner kills some rando who doesn't know what's going on. When they do encounter some real combat taking the bridge in the city they get stuck in a pothole and just abandon the mission.
Also take everything I say with a grain of salt since I'm a POG of Iraq/Afghanistan and probably projecting like a lighthouse.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't read your spoilers since I'm not thru yet but...wait...swimming requirements were an obstacle for black soldiers being deployed on the front lines in loving Iraq and Somalia? But not in Vietnam? Not saying I don't believe you but that's hilarious. I mean...in a military intelligence kind of way.

And as far as the casting goes, I'm just saying that I know that Simon has given a lot of really good black actors a chance to really shine so seeing a war movie of all things with a mostly white cast on the front lines kind of took me off guard. But Simon is really good at subverting expectations so that sort of checks out.
Marines are an amphibious landing force, so they need to know how to swim.
Sure it doesn't matter in Iraq but that's not the point.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is what happens when you don’t follow the grooming standard!

No, I think following the grooming standard was exactly the problem.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aces High posted:

as someone who isn't American is there a tl;dr explanation for why the Marines are even doing what they do in GK? Actually, I'm sure there's no short way to answer that since I'm sure it has a long history but I have never quite understood why the Marine Corps is effectively a 4th branch as opposed to the land- fighting branch of the Navy like it is in basically every other country that has a marine force of some kind

So in the 18th century, where our Army, Navy, and Marines come from a boat had a contingent of people on board that would board enemy ships and fight the opposing forces.
When Naval warfare shifted to be less about capturing boats the Marines shifted into an invasion force. Marines secure a place for the Army to march from.
In GK that's sorta what they're doing. They're scouting ahead and securing places so the army can roll though and occupy.

In reality, all branches are fighting each other trying to justify their existence. So everyone is doing basically the same thing and acting interchangeably.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aces High posted:

Speaking of other David Simon stuff, anyone in here watch The Plot Against America? I watched it a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it for what it was

I liked it.

Vichan posted:

Didn't care for the ending but I enjoyed the rest of it.

Pretty much this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

happyhippy posted:

Maybe I misread it here being mentioned, but why didn't they tap the public phones that they used to call from?

They did. Herc and Carver spent all that time on rooftops confirming the targets.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh now Landsman gives a poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pirate Radar posted:

The sequel series no one is asking for would be about an aging McNulty going back onto the streets of Baltimore to finally solve the case that started it all

It goes all the way to the top! The most toppest and even Not-Martin O'Malley had a hand in it!
But it's b'more. No one cares.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Homes don't have depots man, only improvements.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eason the Fifth posted:

Cheese is such a poo poo but Method Man has such a natural charisma ("You know who has the fattest asses and the best pussy?") that I can't help liking the guy despite myself.

Edit: same goes for Rodney in The Deuce. Speaking of which, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, it's top-shelf David Simon, and I really recommend it. I'd put it in his top 5 shows.

I can only name 4 David Simon shows, so it feels like by default here.
The Wire, Generation Kill, The Duce, and We Own This City

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The commentary is that the younger guy cares more about his name than the money. It's the same dynamic between Avon and Stringer. Marlow will mellow out when he gets older too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike N Eich posted:

With Avon it's a little bit more complicated - he cares about his name for his ego's sake, but he also recognizes that his credibility has real bread-and-butter stakes. There's the fact that his connection with New York is important to continue access for their product and there's also the fact that if his organization is seen as weak, others will feel more willing to prey on him.

For Marlo, it's pure ego. He's wants to wear the crown, even if he ends up dead or in prison afterwards. It's all short term glory.

Marlo knew this too, which is why he didn't kill prop Joe until after he got in good with the Greek Marlo knows he has to always look strong so he kills the security guard, and ends the series bashing a skull in yelling how his name is his name.
E: also remember one of the big themes in this show is that nothing can ever change, so thematically Marlo has to rise and replace the Barksdales the same way they did

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Looks like Cromwell switched sides

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

NYPD Blue's police station looked old and dirty as hell, and those locker/washrooms :barf:

A real pigsty, if you will

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who the gently caress is Frunk Sbtoka?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

awesmoe posted:

is mike's cousin deez in it

Doughz Nuts!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

"Before you joined up with Mau'dib you were thumpin' sand worms for thirteen years?"
"And four months"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xiahou Dun posted:

The first season of True Detective is a millstone around the rest of the show's neck.

Season 2 and 3 are actually really good television, they're just not the lightning in a bottle dark sorcery that was season 1 so the gulf in quality seems dire.

Eh, two sucked.
Three was good again

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well?
They're in the ballpark.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah, string dropped dime on Avon and Avon tipped off Omar, or brother Muzone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ok I started S5 and the journalism stuff doesn’t even bother me, but the Jimmy serial killer stuff just seems so out of left field.
The wire, a show about the inevitable continuation where the status quo can never change, can be ended after any season and that means you can skip s5

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tampa Bae posted:

Ziggy was so irredeemably dumb he really was just a theatre kid working a dock job

It's ok, he joins the Marines and sorts himself out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

drat straight

It's also how Matteson learned to handle American Failsons

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lid posted:

Isn't that the rule for Legion

Counterpoint, season two ended with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frf0HepcB7w
And season 3 had this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIO7svIZzyI

E:
TD was a great s1
An ok S2 that needed to be a handful of fewer episodes
A good again S3 that was almost there.
We'll see how s4 shakes out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The only parts of legion I understood were the singing and dancing and everything you're talking about happened during talky time so it went completely over my head

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
His best is in The Crown where he goes to his mother and she says the crown always comes first and we smash cut to the next morning where he puts down the paper, the headline about Diana's crash and he looks up straight into the camera and says "the gently caress did I do?"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's a moment in the latest season where he's just sitting there with his roommate after Diana died, about how Mi6 had evidence of the infidelity and he was going to get his divorce. You can see the disappointment on his face, not because she died but because he couldn't hurt her with it. He just sits there downtrodden and says "I had her, Bunkmate, I had her on the wire and she doesn't even know it"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
does anyone have a clip where they name Fuzzy Dunlop?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uy1UqoBFPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJa1_u-VLE

"But that's your loving job, right? You get paid a salary for that."

I thought there was a scene where they figure out they need suitable cover for the bug, before this scene.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Every boss is a human being except my boss who sucks and the up-and-coming kid who wants my job, specifically
-The Wire, season 5

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Every boss is a human being except my boss who sucks and the up-and-coming kid who wants my job, specifically
-The Wire, season 5
-David Simon

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
His name is his name.
String didn't get that about Marlo or Avon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin