Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slightly off topic but when reading through this thread (great job to everyone btw) someone posted an essay by Simon talking about how everyone imagines they'd be the one that got away if they were poor but argues that's a complete fantasy; but now I can't find it. Does anyone have that link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

not to take away from Cathey's acting, but Carcetti's reaction is loving priceless

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

quote:

Just one chapter contains stories about Wendell Pierce and Dominic West taking a young Michael B. Jordan to a strip club for “character research” and the actors judging a “pretty pussy competition,”

are we sure those two were actually playing characters and not just getting filmed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The story I heard was that Burns had Simon to edit him but Burns was mostly working on Generation Kill during S5 so Simon didn't have a cowriter do bounce stuff off.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Wire creator David Simon plans series based on Spanish civil war

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly Ziggy was never going to be a wunderkind or anything but that doesn't mean he deserved the life he got

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lol I did the same thing in season 5 where I skipped an episode and the opening line of the next was was Spiros saying "Joe will be missed"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

yeah, id like to think he turns out alright in the end but he's just left a trail of broken lives and dead bodies behind him and never even notices

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I did have a response along the lines of "well in season 4 he was less of a dick because he was a beat cop and was happy" then I remembered that he basically got Bodie killed and I'm now in agreement with you

idk mcnulty indirectly causes a ton of awful poo poo but i don't really think bodie was his fault- dude honestly wanted out but through no real fault of anyone's got caught

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Addamere posted:

Avon Barksdale was in 2049

Also in Dredd

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also i was just watching the patrick stewart christmas carol and dominic west is scrooge's nephew lmao. he's also supposed to valjean in a bbc adaptation of les mis (the book not the musical)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean by the end of season 3 you’ve already seen more than enough to know the show doesn’t see him as a good character, right? I mean the mirror sex scene alone

i love that they had to say that carcetti's affairs were something they made up for the show and not based on actual rumors about o'malley. "yeah you didn't actually cheat on your wife, you just seem like the kind of guy who'd bang a random woman at a fundraiser while staring at yourself in a mirror"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On the subject of wire actors showing up in weird places I rewatched starship troopers and totally forgot Carver's actor is in that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Marlo however craves more assurances than that and Joe (probably out of fear of reprisal, and because he likes having Marlo's muscle on his side) allows Marlo to meet up with Spiros in order to hear directly from him that Joe isn't pulling something shady since Marlo has no proof that Joe isn't screwing him on the allegedly stolen shipment.

Which, of course, he is

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Even if she's definitely not aspirational she was fun to watch, while Cheese is just a dumbass

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

on my current rewatch and all the bits with prez teaching in the beginning of season 4 are hard to watch with sympathetic embarrassment

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Theres plenty of terrible poo poo that happens in the show where no one, or practically no one, comments on it and its left to the viewer. Like McNulty trying to interview the women in immigration detention is a horrifically hosed up situation- they were smuggled across the sea, perhaps on false pretenses, to work in terrible conditions and the government just throws them in a cage and ships them back to whatever impoverished country they came from. But everyone just accepts this as normal and no one explicitly says anyrhing about it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

God Hole posted:

excellent example of a pimp roll (or gangster glide) in this clip. i know it's been said a million times but the attention to detail on this show is pretty incredible.

i spent a fair amount of time studying gangs in college, and the only piece of media other than the wire that has ever really impressed me with both the accuracy in depicting how gangs operate and its seamless presentation in the story was the movie Green Room my favorite example is when imogen poots is looking through the door vent, notices a bunch of boots with red laces, and then panics and announces to the group they're about to be murdered (in traditional skinhead groups, you only earn red laces on your boots when you're a soldier who has drawn some blood. the attack force)

Apparently in some parts of Europe red laces denote lefty skinheads so that scene didn't work lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah but when Omar dies nothing really happens- he slips into legend but no one wants revenge, the kid appears to be arrested for it but the police almost gently caress up the name of the victim. if Marlo had killed Clay Davis, even assuming he'd found someone stupid enough to do it, I'd think the cops would come down on him like a ton of bricks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Kima isn't powerful herself but the institution of the police is

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The most unbelievable thing about the serial killer plot was that it wasn't just a ploy to get more overtime from the get-go

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also should be acknowledged that "this is effective at getting across a message which I'm not in an emotional state to hear" can be true and good and also not a criticism of the work

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Really everything you need to fundamentally understand Carcetti is contained in that Season 3 scene where he cheats on his wife while staring at himself in the mirror the whole time.

It ruled when O'Malley briefly ran for president and the writers had to say that wasn't based on a real incident, they just kinda felt like he was that kinda guy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the most unrealistic thing is that it wasnt just 100% graft from the start

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Plus Rudy is playing himself and there's a few minor characters played by guys who were in the unit (though not playing themselves iirc) so there's some overlap. I did see an interview with the people the main characters are based on and its funny that all of them look a lot like their actors except Ray, who I assume Burns read the book and just got Ziggy in his head

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah part of it is also the Marines built up a lot of political power and prestige in the island campaigns of the Pacific War and they've kinda been coasting on that ever since

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

Snot Boogie got me thinking about the best cold opens of the wire and they're all pretty much Omar (Omar in jail is incredible, but Omar goes out for Cheerios and Omar vs mouzone are really good too). Drunk Jimmy is up there, though. He plays a drunk so good.

Yeah McNulty crashing the car is great

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the most unrealistic thing about the serial killer plot is that it wasn't entirely designed to get them more OT pay from the start

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

My low key favorite Valchek scene is early in season 2 where he's in his office and he has a computer in the background on a desk with no chair in front of it, stuck on the password screen (or some kind of similar tableau, i forget the specifics), and it's clear he's never touched the thing in his life. An absolute rat hump of a man, what a performance

yeah its stuck on the same error message the entire season lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

We Own This City isn't nearly as good as The Wire but the story it tells is interesting and there's some good performances (Hector, Jon Bernthal, the guy who played Landsman)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I felt this way about season 5

The most unrealistic thing about the serial killer plot is McNulty intended it to be a cover for police work instead of being pure grift

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Count Roland posted:

What the actual gently caress. Not only was Norris played by himself but:

Is there a book or something that goes over all the actors and their backgrounds? I thought I knew about most of the interesting ones but now you tell me Norris was the commissioner? I'm floored.

Iirc Norris was even taken out by the "head shot" they threatened Clay Davis with (disguising loans from family members to buy a house)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

True Detective is a little different since its an anthology and so the lesser later seasons don't detract from the original, while Westworld was clearly setting up for something and then fell on its face

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I remember reading an article about showing The Wire to actual drug dealers and they were all 100% convinced Bunk was on the take because he was dressed too well to be an honest officer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I read one of those articles. It wasn't talking about Bunk, but they were saying a different cop was clearly on the take.

It made me think that one of the few omissions of the wire was that it showed so little of cops working with drug dealers. I guess We Own This City kinda updates that aspect.

Yeah I think what they were talking about was less being dealers themselves and more just having some people you tip off in return for favors- basically a similar relationship as the Greek has with the FBI but on a smaller scale

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The bit where a dealer says "oh no we don't have that Bin Ladin poo poo anymore, we've got WMD now" is one of those things that so on the nose it warps back around into being funny again

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The serial killer plot line is entirely worth it for the scenes where Carcetti and the reporter find out about it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Cheese getting what he deserves is one of my favorite moments in the last episode and why Slim Charles should be ranked higher.

Also, Poot is looking a little too low on that list.

"Sentimental motherfucker cost us money!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Avon saying he doesn't want to waste any time with having his name/picture up as a "Diamond Club" sponsor or whatever it was, only for the reveal the next season that Cutty put up a big rear end photo of him in the gym anyway :3:

But, crucially, after he'd already gotten locked up for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

Stringer's biggest mistake is that he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. He was dumb as hell and arrogant because he was a bit more educated than the rabble he saw beneath him. Problem is, that convincing people to do violence for you works. And keeping people good at violence happy and out of prison is what helps keep you on top.

Prop Joe had muscle but Cheese betrayed him lol.

"He thought he was the smartest guy in the room- and he'll, he probably was."