Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

A friend recommended me Borgias a while ago, is that any good?

Also, I've never watched Oz, but I guess it has a bunch of actors from the wire in it too? It looks a little "early 2000s" in the way the first season of the wire looks a little dated sometimes too.

The Borgias with John Doman is the European one made by.... Canal+ I think? It's not the Starz one with Jeremy Irons. The Starz one is .... not ideal. Jeremy Irons is great, but everyone else is meh and the historical changes make me want to stab the writers in the neck because they sort of try to make Cesare the anti-hero, but end up whitewashing a dude who was a legit psychotic monster.

The European one is better, but I have yet to finish the second season. The first season is pretty good though. My only complaint is that the actors are supposed to be Italians/Spaniards and whoever cast them does absolutely nothing to maintain consistent accents or ways of speaking which results in some absolutely hilarious results at times. The entire Borgia family look and sound nothing alike. For example, John Doman does literally nothing about his accent and plays the part of Rodrigo Borgia as though he's Bill Rawls - if Bill Rawls was Pope Alexander VI.

edit: seriously, he plays the part exactly like he's still playing Bill Rawls.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

V-Men posted:

If he plays it like this scene I have zero problem with that.

There are a couple of scenes where he's dressing down the college of cardinals and watching it feels ..... weird. Like, I've seen it before, but the context is all wrong.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s supposed to be an “oh poo poo” moment in Episode 1 when you see the robbers talking to each other during the day and then they all start putting on POLICE vests, I think

Yeah I really liked the way they put those scenes together. When you see three black men in a car planning a robbery you tend to assume they are not police, but nope they are police. Reminds me of going to the the play about a fictional discussion between Malcom X and MLK when I was a kid and the open of the play is a black man with a gun, Malcolm X's bodyguard, rushing into the room and seeing the audience reaction.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
By and large, they didn't. With the exception of Al Swearengen and, maybe, George Hearst I don't think any of the of the characters knew what the gently caress was happening in Deadwood. And the only reason Al knew what was happening in Deadwood was because he just defaulted to assuming the worst possible thing was going to happen all the time.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

bucketybuck posted:

Just momentary grief in my opinion, if he meant it then he would have changed going forward, had a different opinion on the "game".

But that's not the sense I get from his scenes in season 5 when he met Marlo in prison. There, he was still the kingpin playing the game, Westside v Eastside etc etc.

Avon didn't play no away games, he was just a gangster I suppose, so while he may have regretted what happened Stringer I doubt it was going to change who he was.

I feel like Stringer's death really did change Avon. If only because we know that one of the real life inspirations for Avon did his time and then came out of jail a more or less changed man. Avon is basically done with the game when he meets Marlo in prison.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

He not only came out a changed man, he got a role on the show

Yeah it's kind of crazy to think that the quiet preacher guy is literally an older Avon Barksdale.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The reason why people poo poo on Ziggy is because he is a colossal gently caress up. This is beyond his the fact that he's a bad dock worker, he really is just a born gently caress up and everyone else gives him poo poo for good reason. Ziggy wants to be cool so he decides he's going to be a drug dealer just like cool guy white drug dealer White Mike. This goes poorly. Ziggy fucks up packages, gets ripped off by the corner kids he hires to sell his dope, and ends up trying to do business with Cheese - a real actual gangster who nearly kills him. Every single person could have told Ziggy this is exactly what would happen, but no, Ziggy had to be the cool kid.

After this Ziggy buys a duck using the money he made from ripping off cargo and smuggling. Also a bad plan because he's spending large amounts of cash that he absolutely should not have and if Freeman or Prezbo were looking at his receipts the dock smuggling would have been solved in about five seconds. Ziggy poisons the duck to show off to his friends. Also, Ziggy bought the duck a diamond necklace with the money he made illegally.

Somewhere along the way Ziggy used a stolen camera to take a picture of his fence in the selling stolen cameras scheme. Literally, a "Are you taking notes on a criminal conspiracy?" moment.

Ziggy repeatedly whips his dick out in public. Like, more than once in a one month span.

This is all off the top of my head. I'm going to agree with Ainsley McTree, Ziggy would have had trouble in any walk of life because that's just who he is and is a man who deeply needs therapy or something so he can get a grip on his life and be a better person.

edit: there's this train of thought that just jumped into my head that I don't have time to explore, but there's a reason that the stevedoers are being replaced with robots beyond the cost. It's also because this job sucks. Backbreaking labor, being crushed by enormous weights, and all for very little pay commiserate to the risk. Plus, those stories the old guys tell, those are just stories, they have to make those up to feel good about working away years of their life to move cargo.

Ironically, Ziggy probably would have been better off with the computerized docks that Frank was raging against because he was computer literate and Frank could leverage his position to get Ziggy in the door (after Ziggy did a few years at a community college diploma mill).

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 11, 2023

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Whatever happened to Legion?

It got three seasons and came to it's conclusion. Personally, I liked it even though it definitely had some issues and I can see why some people bounced off hard at the end of season 2. Third season was...weird and had some good parts and some bad. I only watched it once so I might rewatch it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Here comes Kima! She's smart, she'll get those knuckle heads to stop!

Oh- ohhhhh

It's a great reversal of what you expect from tv shows. Definitely a scene that shows how The Wire is a lot different than what you would expect from a 'cop show' and also why it has aged better than other cop shows over the years.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

surf rock posted:

Alright, four episodes into season two:

- It's very difficult to look at Beadie and not see Marge Gunderson.

I had the reverse reaction to this. Guess Beadie retired early and went to get a corporate job.

Also, if you don't think the boat is bad wait until Winter. That and the constant fuel smell - which McNulty calls out as his reason for hating it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I remember reading an article about showing The Wire to actual drug dealers and they were all 100% convinced Bunk was on the take because he was dressed too well to be an honest officer

That's a legit complaint. We Own This City certainly used how the officers dressed to show who was crooked.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

surf rock posted:

- I guess the B&B Enterprises plotline had become a dead end, but still, killing Stringer feels like a real sharp end to a big part of the story web, especially with Avon going back to jail too. That part isn't hugely surprising, but is the street portion of the show really gonna hang on this Marlo character? That's pretty weak. Is Bodie gonna go big-time? Seems unlikely.

Season 4, like season 2, goes in a slightly different direction and I think it's the best season of the show (although I am biased due to my occupation). I wouldn't worry about the street side of things being any worse than before. Also, like season 2, it's one of those seasons that's generally better on rewatch because there is a lot going on.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

This makes me want to go back now and evaluate if there's a difference in reaction to Omar robbing them between Avon and Stringer.

IIRC Stringer doesn't take it well at all, which makes sense because Omar is touching the thing he holds most dear: his money.

And obviously when Omar starts directly calling out Marlo on his name everyone knows to keep that away from him because of how he would take it and react.

But I don't remember how Avon takes Omar's robberies in season 1.

Not well. He has Omar's boyfriend tortured to death and displayed as a message then puts out a contract on Omar. Once Omar tries to kill Avon the two make a fragile peace that is obviously a trap and a wounded Omar leaves town rather than risk being killed.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

I thought the first part was more Stringer than Avon. Welp.

True, it's Stringer handling business for Avon, but this is season 1 so we can assume that this has Avon's blessing and is more or less exactly what he wanted. When Stringer and Avon are talking about Omar I don't remember there being any sign of them being out of agreement. It's been a few years though.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

surf rock posted:

And closing out season 4:

- I kind of expected there to be another shoe that would drop about corruption in the school being why the computer/textbooks were down there. I guess maybe that's a clue about the upcoming budget deficit.

No, this is pretty much working as intended. It's normal for teachers to have no idea what the gently caress resources we're supposed to have access to and for employees to be clueless about what's even in the building or how money is being spent. In a school like this in Baltimore there is, shall we say, a high turnover rate of staff so stuff gets lost easily. Also, schools often get grants or gifts that get lost or misfiled so it's normal for supplies to disappear, for example a teacher files a grant application, sends it out, the application gets lost or delayed somehow, and then literally years later it gets resolved and poo poo just shows up one day. Or maybe a teacher wanted to "clean up the clutter" and accidentally stashed supplies somewhere without telling anyone else (or God forbid, just decided to throw out thousands of dollars of materials for no loving reason). Or maybe a department chair has been squirreling supplies away and then retired or disappeared and didn't bother to inform anyone about their stash.

edit: also the budget deficit is because public schools are underfunded as gently caress and No Child Behind (backed by both parties I might add) decided that the best way to motivate schools was to tie funding to standardized test performance. I think it goes without saying the Baltimore school system tends to do poorly on standardized tests. Also No Child Left Behind required schools to drop a poo poo ton of cash on educating kids with special needs and stuff like that (a good thing), but then whoops the federal money that was supposed to make that happen never actually manifested.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 29, 2024

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Cheese is awfully high on the list for a cadaverous motherfucker.

Cheese getting what he deserves is one of my favorite moments in the last episode and why Slim Charles should be ranked higher.

Also, Poot is looking a little too low on that list.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It hets better because Method Man had noticed that when other character died, people on the internet wrote about how tragic their death was and so on. So he decided to check what people wrote after Cheese died and it was all just "he got what he deserved."

Method Man did a great job with that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Avon also respects Cutty because Avon is a former boxer and Cutty did over a decade of time in prison without snitching on Avon despite having a clear incentive to do so. I doubt Avon would have the same regard for Cutty if Cutty was asking for a job reference to Foot Locker instead of starting a boxing gym.

edit: Avon is rich enough to be a bit of a dilettante if he wants and sponsoring Cutty lets Avon feel like he's building street rep. Similar to the Eastside vs. Westside basketball game that he co-sponsors with Prop Joe.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2024