Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I've blitzed through about 40ish pages.of this thread after 100 to try and catch up and there's some great stuff written. Odes.to donut are pretty funny, but that post about poot being the coldest guy on the show was excellent.

Avon giving cutty the money is one of my favourite scenes in the show. Avon respecting someone who's worked and been loyal for so long wanting to get out also speaks to his character. I don't think stringer would've had even close to the same reaction. If Avon had refused then what we're cutty's options?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doesn't someone come by and he casually says he used to be in the game but got out? No judgement, but just "yeah, I used to do that"

Doesn't seem like he carries it with him

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Konstantin posted:

I doubt it, everything in the drug game is about connections, and Poot worked under a known snitch who was killed by the king. Maybe once Marlo was out of the game, he might have gotten a job under Slim Charles, assuming Slim knew who he was and felt like doing him a favor.

I think he could've come in relatively well placed with slim charles given they were both barksdale organization before. Bodie and poot never folded properly to marlo as well.

Poot just had enough and moved on. The way poot talks to dukie if I remember right is that dukie wasn't old enough to get a job yet. Maybe poot was waiting until he was old enough, and when the corners got too hot he shrugged it off and said it was time to move on.

I don't remember well, which means it's probably time for a rewatch of the whole series.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

When they're making the busts in the out in season 1 and Bodie decks the cop I'm surprised kima comes across to join in beating on him. It struck me as out of character for her to sprint over to do that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The hunt (s1e11) is such a good episode.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If weebey ate the charges for all the murders in season 1 why is bird still on the hook for gant? I thought bey explicitly said he did gant, even though the cops didn't believe him. did they manage to scrape that one off bey's record?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

valchek is such an rear end in a top hat over a goddamn mirror. Can't get over how terrible he is

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Butchie's story about his uncle cutting his fingers off is great. I like that omar laughs silently, so butchie can't even tell he's laughing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

String throwing avon under the bus and calling it just business, while avon gives up stringer to brother mouzone trying to make it about business then realising it's the game is a heck of a scene. The whole business v game aspect in season 3 is a fantastic story.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

avon meeting marlo in jail is so weird. avon is 100% still street gangster, and marlo looks fairly uninterested which i guess makes sense since he's only in it for himself.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bug running around six flags with cotton candy and a batman mask on is adorable

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That last scene with marlo is so drat good

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's not his turn!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Never realised that spiros says "my name is not my name" compared to marlo yelling in a holding that his name is his name.

Two players playing different games

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cacator posted:

Ah, I finally understand the part where Marlo said "I am 100% ethnically Greek"

Lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What the gently caress he wasn't even that old was he?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ziggy recognises the situation and revels in nihilism about it.

Frank recognises the situation and tries to help others in it and do the best he can.

Nick I'm not sure does recognise the situation.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I always feel like prop joe goes out before season 5. Outside of Bodie he's maybe my favourite player in the game, recognises exactly how it works and when his time comes understands that it's his time. He respects the game.

I suppose Avon understands when his time is up too

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I've read here and there that the writers actually toned him down from the guy who was the real life inspiration for the character.

yeah I've been under the impression he got the audie murphy treatment

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Never thought I'd see "frank sobotka was the villain" as a take but here we are

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"the job will not save you Jimmy. It won't make you whole, it won't fill your rear end up."

"A life, jimmy. You know what that is? It's the poo poo that happens while you wait for moments that never come"

drat that scene is so good

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tampa Bae posted:

I should finish The Wire off, I just don't remember which episode I stopped on

Better restart from season 1, episode 1 just to be safe

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

There's also a scene in I think season 3 where McNulty is bragging to Lester about what great police the two of them are and how few others in Baltimore can match up to them (namedropping Ed Burns as one of them, which was very sweet) and Lester hits him with that "the job will not save you" line and points out how there is more to life that just big cases, and each one ends and then you gotta have something in your life or else you're just hanging out waiting for the next big case. I like to think that part of that is because, for as good as McNulty is at his job in particular circumstances, Lester probably balks at the idea of McNulty lumping himself in with him and thinks he is far, far, far better police than McNulty is (and he's right!).

It's one of my favourite scenes in the show.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Poot is kind of a weird character. The scene of him in foot locker makes it seem like nothing that happened or he did affected him at all. It was just part of growing up and completely normal to him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Isn't that the point of him though? Most of the corner boys go through absolutely horrible poo poo and then get a job at footlocker and hope they don't catch a stray on the way home.

Yeah it is

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Eww, let's not let that guy play.

You gots too, man.

Poot and slim charles ranked awfully low there

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bucketybuck posted:

Totally consistent for Poot though, because he was the hardest gangster on the street.

Remember when Brandon got tortured in season one and put on display as a message to Omar? Seeing that body traumatised Wallace so badly it eventually led to his own death.

But Poot was there in that reveal scene of the body, hanging out a window laughing his rear end off at McNulty getting spooked by the dog. That death and body didn't leave a single mark on Poot, even though he was there when Brandon was captured.

Poot never gave a drat about anything, there are hundreds of examples of how centered he was.

Yeah poot just rolled with all of it.

"Do the chair know we're gonna look like some punk rear end bitches out there?"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bucketybuck posted:

Poot didn't even have to be there, and he didn't have to shoot Wallace, it was Bodie that Stringer gave the job to.

Bodie had already shot Wallace, there was no need for Poot to take the gun from Bodie and put a few more rounds into him.

So Poot wasn't pushing Bodie to do the job, but since it had to be done he decided to stand by Bodie and share the blame.

Poot realised his friend that he spent hours on the phone with was suffering and going to die so he took the gun from Bodie and put him out of his misery.

Poot didn't have to do that but the alternative was watching Wallace slowly bleed out over who knows how long or leave and Wallace still suffers like hell, and maybe doesn't even die

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've never seen homicide or we own this city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

deoju posted:

Somebody in another thread mentioned Good Hart's Law and I looked it up...

So pretty much a more formal definition of "juking the stats."

I've worked on major projects and we were never making a building/system etc, we were only ever making KPIs. It's crazy the poo poo people did to make milestones (and collect bonuses for upper management)