Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Stringer to Avon, about McNulty: "You remember that cop that tried to pin Gerard on Little Kevin?"

Gerard is Gerard Bogue, the murder case that the Barksdales beat McNulty on by doing the same thing they did at D's trial. But is Little Kevin the same Little Kevin we meet in season 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Are you sure? I know that girl also shows up in S3 and S4, but this doesn't really look like the same girl.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Is it ever inferred in the series that he's a Baltimore native?

Doesn't he point out the factory where his father worked at the beginning of season 2?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

At the basketball game, he is pleased and says "my boys" or something when they're told that the Eastside is winning, so he is from the Eastside projects.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I think it's because that's a pretty lovely street name.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

He's named Stringy Bell in the original show proposal sent to HBO.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Crumbletron posted:

I saw ads for The Wire HD reruns during a hockey game yesterday. I was really surprised!

Why do they use sticks? Can't they just kick it with their feet?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

It wasn't the Six Flags trip that Michael couldn't remember. It was the time they threw piss balloons at another group of kids for beating on Dukie.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

The bodies in the vacants is a great example of something The Wire did that sets it apart. Any other cop show would have made it a big mystery all season long and kept the audience guessing along with the police, only for it to finally be revealed with a big OMG *ta-da* moment in the finale. It's a cheap trope. Here, we know from the beginning where Marlo is hiding his bodies and it's because this show gives us multiple viewpoints on every issue and plot device.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I'm nearing the end of S2 and this shot is the first one that really made me notice how nice the 16:9 is

I absolutely love that grain pier building, it's a shame it got all cleaned up and turned into condos.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

One subtitle goof that always amuses me is when Daniels says to Rhonda, "Marla once told me, you cannot lose if you do not play."

The subtitles have it as "Marlo once told me..." One little letter changes it completely.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Which reminds me, I knew Ed Norris the homicide detective was played by Ed Norris the ex-BPD commish, but I didn't know he was actually still the sitting commissioner when they filmed Season 1. That rules.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

I thought landsman's rear end looked pretty decent in hd

Speak again, oh toothless one.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

At the end of season 3, after they get up on Stringer's cell, they catch this conversation...

Someone: One other thing, those two hitters you asked about? They good with it.
Stringer: Not on the phone, man.

and pretty much start jizzing all over the room, saying they caught him. What the gently caress kind of evidence is that? Of course they're talking about a murder, but I can't imagine that weak poo poo would stand up in a courtroom.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I like how Cedric's promotion to major finally comes in right after the mayor decides to support Marla.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Fitz says his bust is on Homer Avenue in Pimlico. The street that Stinkum (not Bird) tries to take over is Edmondson Avenue. They're not terribly far from each other, but not really close enough to presume they're related.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

"Be subtle with it. You know what subtle means?"
"Laid back and poo poo."

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

"The above referenced victim was prostate on the floor." Prostate on the floor... that's a victim alright.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Because he assumed the clock thing was an unbreakable code.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Harold Stassen posted:

What's with the goofy guy with the hair- the cop. You know who I'm talking about.

Colicchio. The most realistic character in the entire series.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Makes me sick motherfucker, how far we done fell.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

My memory is lacking on Cutty. Did he ever show up again after he got shot in the leg after one of the boys tried to get him to back off?

Yeah that was at the end of S4. He shows up in S5 when Dukie goes to him to try to learn to fight so the guys on Michael's corner will respect him, to no avail.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I love all the people they bring back for quick scenes or cameos in S5

Cutty, Avon, Sergei, Nicky, Namond, Colvin, Randy, Prez, Johnny Fifty, Poot, Shardene, Weebay, Polk, John Munch...

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Carver on top of a car yelling at a hopper: "You do not get to win, shitbird! We do!"

McNulty justifying his serial killer scheme: "Marlo's an rear end in a top hat! He does not get to win, WE get to win!"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah and when they're planning their next job, Dante's complaining that all he's doing is waiting in the alley, and Kimmy's like "that's where you belong, so I don't have to worry about you shooting me in the face"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I love when he talks to the kids about intimacy and building a life together. It's simultaneously incredibly sweet and also pretty depressing, because it seems like such an alien concept to so many of the students.

"Yo, tickle my nuts!"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

the pole or the dole posted:

Did they ever use fingerprints to catch anyone in The Wire? I feel like the whole fingerprint thing was a joke, remember when Bubbles gave the burner phone to Kima wrapped in paper to preserve the prints? Kima just rolled her eyes and laughed if I remember correctly.

There was also the scene where the homicide detectives lied to Bodie about having his prints on one of the guns he threw off the bridge.

And Valchek lifting prints off the photos of the van he was being sent.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I always assumed it was his final paycheck.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

It’s definitely 4 then 3, and 5 as the worst. 1 and 2 are about equal for me.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

deoju posted:

The plural is pussae.

Give me that pussy, now you gonna take my shoes? That ain’t right, poo poo.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

it's not like he sailed halfway round the world and didn't learn no motherfucking english

Kunta Kinte... yabba dabba dabba doo.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

deoju posted:

https://twitter.com/WendellPierce/status/971890824802914304

I guess the show has been off the air for 10 years.

Seems Bunk Moreland is worse than a homicide detective. He's a developer.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

If you wanted to be a huge rear end in a top hat you could make him apologize for killing off Ray Cole or Colonel Forster.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What would Ziggy have succeeded at if not the docks or selling drugs/boosting poo poo? I don't think he'd have been much better off at the community college.

Penis model.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Yes hello, this is Ervin Pepper, of Pepper, Pepper, and Bayleaf...

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

THIS THE HI HAT??

No delivery. You make order, you come get. Good yaka mein, good noodle. Extra ketchup.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

bucketybuck posted:

The whole series started with McNulty checking up on the guys who beat him up in court, and right now on my rewatch I'm watching Bunk trying to get McNulty to put him in touch with Omar. The charge was made and his clearance is safe but still he is trying to progress his case.

To be fair, Bunk wanted to find Omar because Ilene Nathan the prosecutor kept hounding him about it.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

When I hear Frankie Faison I think of Donald Faison who played Turk in Scrubs. Probably because they're brothers.

Reported for racism

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Wait, Ellis? As in Sgt. Ellis Carver? He played J. Edgar Hoover? Interesting casting choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

That scene is also great for Little Kevin explaining Spongebob to Bodie.