Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
One thing I noticed this time around, which now that I think about it is a theme throughout the series, is hierarchy of government organizations. Meaning, the state and federal government acting superior and having no respect for Baltimore city government.

It first appears in this episode with how McNulty is treated when he enters the FBI field office. Even though he is a homicide detective in the Baltimore police department, he is treated with as much suspicion as if he was there to rob the place.

Throughout the series we will see members both the federal and state government treat the city of Baltimore, in part and as a whole, in a similar way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Fragmented posted:

Speaking of, did we ever figure out the train metaphor? I mean obviously it's supposed to be the gods of Baltimore, and Jimmy is pissing in their path while they speed toward him. But what about the next seasons? Sometimes it's stopped, sometimes it's not there...i've never been able to crack that nut.

I remember an interview with David Simon where he mentions that the trains were a metaphor, but specifically didn't explain it. IIRC, Brother Mouzone and Lamar have a conversation later in the series to the effect of:

pre:
Brother: Slow train coming.
Lamar: What?
Brother: Progress, Lamar, progress.
That is from memory, so I am likely to be misquoting a bit. I don't quite remember when they have this conversation, but I believe it is in reference to the destruction of the towers. That is the only verbal reference to trains that I can think of, but it seems to be an apt metaphor. McNulty does, certainly, piss in the face of "progress" many times throughout the series.

Edit:
Thinking about it more, I think we can put some credence into Mouzone's observations because he, like Omar, is one of the few people who is truly outside of the system. Therefore, thematically speaking, he should be one of the few characters who can make impartial observations of the system.

confused fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 11, 2012

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

solovyov posted:

I always assumed it was the Tom Fontana/David Simon/Homicide connection. Sort of like how Clark Johnson gets to have this rich and exciting career within the David Simon universe but he's basically a non-entity outside of it.

Clark Johnson doesn't get a lot of acting work, but he is a pretty prolific and well respected director at this point.

EDIT:
Actually, looking at his IMDB page, he's been getting acting work as well, just nothing super notable.

confused fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 15, 2012

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jerusalem posted:

Is anyone else shocked that Levy slaps D'Angelo on the back of the head as he leads him out? I know that most of the top guys have a pretty low opinion of D, but while I can see Levy lambasting him verbally, the humiliation of a slap on the head seems really odd to me.

I think I agree with you. It does seem out of character for Levy. Maybe if it had been someone like Poot, I could kind of imagine Levy doing that. Maybe they were still flushing out his character at the time. In general, I don't think Levy cares enough about what his clients do to feel the need to slap one of them.

confused fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 16, 2012

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
In the middle of my re-watch of episode 3. Just noticed a nice cut. During the "chess" speech, when D is talking about the pawns he looks at Wallace and says, "...they be out of the game early." Then it cuts to Wallace. Nice foreshadowing that I never noticed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Escape artist, what episodes should we be up to this week? I feel behind and am catching up. Would it be possible to put that info into the OP?