Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yee Boy! A rewatch thread!

First off count me in with the people that never noticed the Bell mug in the Super Africaman drawing. Funny thing is i actually noticed it before people started mentioning it, i love picking up little things like that.

Rawls has the best entrance ever, him staring out a dark window only half lit. Then the two fingers bit. It's loving perfect.

I kinda like the Kima, Herc, and Carv introduction but it's not anything special.

Last but not least i think it has the best drunken Jimmy and Bunk at the train scene. "Catch him? I lit his rear end up." Speaking of, did we ever figure out the train metaphor? I mean obviously it's supposed to be the gods of Baltimore, and Jimmy is pissing in their path while they speed toward him. But what about the next seasons? Sometimes it's stopped, sometimes it's not there...i've never been able to crack that nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

escape artist posted:

We'll keep the trains in mind as we move through the series.

Cool :)

Thanks for making the thread escape and putting the effort in to it.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Lugaloco posted:

The thing that really stands out for me in the pilot (and all throughout Season 1) is how often we see the action through other cameras. Seriously, there's a ton of scene-opening shots (whatever you call them) where we're looking through a security camera on both the streets and the police. I guess it just signifies that everyone is being watched all the time and there's no escape. It also reminds me of one of the show's key themes throughout its run: everyone's trapped. In one way or another the system you are in is always watching, waiting for you to gently caress up and as a result chew you out like there's no tomorrow.

Yeah some of these weren't that great but i liked it and i wish they stuck with it. I bet someone on the production team made a call to axe it after the pilot. We still get some shots later on. The bust on the FBI case, also when they wire the strip club. Getting the tapes from the old security dude at the harbor in season 2 etc.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

watt par posted:

They really hammer the parallel between Stringer and McNulty later on as two guys dying (figuratively in McNulty's case) for loving with the system too much.

Stringer and McNutty? I think you are thinking about season 3 and major Colvin.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

escape artist posted:

Good ol' Bubs :allears:

Yeah if i ever call him McNulty it's only because i forgot his new name, given to him by the wise man of the streets, which is forever McNutty.

watt par i guess you mean what happens to them over the whole series vs a single season parallel? I can see that.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

End of Life Guy posted:

I'm doing my first re-watch and am showing my girlfriend the show for her first time.
We've finished S2E1, and she's having the same issue I did the first time I watched it: It's hard to start giving a poo poo about all these dock workers so abruptly. The show just throws them at you after you've invested so much time building up feelings for all the people in the first season.

Another reason, perhaps equally responsible for my feelings towards them, is that she got me watching True Blood before I ever saw The Wire, and I can't take the actor who plays Frank Sabotka seriously because he plays a bumbling-idiot, backwoods sheriff on True Blood. I refuse to believe that the school scenes in season 4 are anything but a documentary because the kids are all fresh faces, but every time I see Sheriff Andy Belfleur put on a safety vest, I'm reminded that this is a scripted show, and my interest wanes. I'm not saying I'm correct in my views, but it's difficult to suspend disbelief for all the shipyard scenes.

I'm not sure I remember much of their plot either, so I'm finding it hard to give her compelling reasons to care about these new characters when I'm not sure that I even do. I'm gonna get us through it for no other reason than to see Hamsterdam and the kids in Season 4 again.

Can you guys remind me of some reasons to pay closer attention to these union folk on our re-watch journey?

gently caress Belfleur, this is where it's at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NmUsG9eQKg (One of my favorite scenes of The Wire)

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

See, I'm going to come across as obtuse, but I don't believe there are street smarts and book smarts. There's just smart.

However, assuming I did believe that street smarts existed.

D'Angelo loudly confronted the senior leadership of his gang, infront of the police, about the whereabouts of Wallace, in such a way that it made crystal clear that it was foul play, and then continually stonewalled Avon. Self righteously shortening your own life is not smart by any definition.

Wallace snitched, then went into hiding, then came back like oh hey sup guys just gonna bend over and pick up this discman real quick. Plus, if he's street smart perhaps he could keep the count straight and recognize money.

Neither of these people are very smart.

Since I don't do street vs book smart I'll just state that in my mind, the smartest member of Barksdale's crew is Bodie. It's as much an ego thing as anything else, but when he cuts his price to compete with Cheese in the towers because all sales are profit, that's smart. But then he still ends up exhibiting a total lack of street smarts by shooting his mouth off about Marlo.

I dunno, I return to my original point - we sympathize with the characters and a situation from which they can't escape, but not a one of them is smart.

You can be as smart as you want and still get hosed because you are a human being trapped in an inhuman world. Wallace was killed for having a normal response to a horrible crime, so was D, except in D's case it was many, many horrible crimes. Both of those kids were smart and end up chewed up by the war on drugs.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

watt par posted:

I thought that Avon's dad and uncle had been in charge of the Barksdale crew prior and it was only the year or so prior to when season 1 takes place that Avon had taken over control of the towers and low-rises.

You really only get bits and pieces of the Barksdale history but i'm fresh off a rewatch so i'll give it a shot. watt par is right the family had been in the game for a long time at different levels, but only a year(probably more, Mcnulty is the one who said a year, honestly i would add a year or two to that) before the first season is when Avon and crew took the towers.

D'Angelo asked in his last interrogation if they knew who his grandfather was and Mcnulty gives him the "gently caress yeah i do" nod. I think that scene shows how far back it goes, but it was Avon's crew who built something you could call a crime syndicate.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Edit: Don't want to spoil anyone

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 24, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Alhazred posted:

But then again, all McNulty and Freamon managed to get was Chris.

And Monk, and Cheese(he might be unfit for trial though hehe), and every other enforcer etc. that was busted with them. They definitely decapitated the crew. Not like any of it matters.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Great job on this Jerusalem. I really like this part that it looks like you almost didn't post. Don't hold back if you catch more symbolic scenes please.

Jerusalem posted:

There's something that happens just before the cemetery scene that I love to read too much into. As McNulty and Kima have to make the decision on whether to enter the cemetery or not, a limousine passes them with what appears to be a flattering country flag on the door. It immediately makes me think of a diplomatic or ambassadorial vehicle, which immediately puts me in mind of a conference, a meeting, neutral ground, non-hostility. The cemetery is "holy ground", it's a place where no violence is expected (though there is nothing officially stopping violence from breaking out, this isn't Highlander) and where people can expect to meet and talk. Am I reading too much into this? Almost definitely, but I like to think the whole scene is set up to really cement the idea that the stick-up boys and the police detectives are meeting in a neutral place to talk freely to each other.

I'm sure you will feel better soon escape artist.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Jesus talk about giving a gently caress when it ain't your turn to give a gently caress. I'm sure we can handle more than one of you doing write-ups on the same episodes.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

If you guys take too long i might have to throw my ignorant rear end in to the ring.

So on my latest rewatch i noticed that it's Butchie and Prop Joe(and hungry man but who cares right?) that get taken out. The two old heads.

I know Marlo has been made to be an allegory to the Iraq insurgency. But. I always thought it was more than that. When you all start doing season 3 i will have some words.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It would be a lot easier if it was the west coast where pretty much all heroin is brown powder/tar. And while on the subject i thought a g-pack was 1000 vials not $1000? I mean Stringer is surprised when D brings in $23000 or something from one day at the pit. At $10 a vial that would be either 23 g-packs or 2 and change. When they stop Weebay going into the pit and catch the runner it's only for 4 g-packs, that would be like 6 re-ups a day if 4 g-packs is only 400 vials.

Edit: Either way holy poo poo that is a lot of heroin to sell in a day.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Ahhh i guess that makes sense. When they get hit for the 4 g-packs don't they hear them talking on the wire about getting hit "for 40" though? Oh god i'm going to start another rewatch again aren't i. It's for research i swear!

Edit: So 23,000 times 365 is 8,395,000, which is less than 10 percent of the hundred million a year they thought Avon and co were clearing. I still think i'm right.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 13, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Wee-Bey makes the quickest food run ever in that last scene, the way it's edited makes it seem like he's only gone 1-2 minutes tops. Motherfucker even got cheese fries.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Diabolik900 posted:

I love the scene where he wrecks the car. He doesn't just get into two accidents because he's driving drunk. He gets into the exact same accident twice because he needs to prove that he was right, even though there's absolutely nobody else there to prove it to. He can't be at fault, it must be the world around him that is wrong somehow.

I would think more people would get this scene but aside from most of you rewatching motherfuckers most people miss it i've noticed. I've watched that scene with a few newbies and no one caught that as the reason, they were just like "LOL drunk Mcnutty!"

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

hiddenmovement posted:

Another interesting parallel is Sydnors reaction to the case wrapping up. He becomes the new McNulty by the end of season 5, passing off tips to judges and all that. Here he is declaring that this case doesn't feel over - there has to be more to the chase.

How did Sydnor survive the whole fake serial killer thing anyways?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

But Kima saw him in the room with an illegal wiretap running, and she knew how they managed to get it running. I guess she just didn't mention his name because like you say it was McNutty and Lesters game?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I write really bad lyrics for hip hop and alternative songs for fun sometimes and i named one song "Empty orange couch." I'll see if i can find it.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

As far as Biden goes he forever has my scorn because of this: The Rave Act. Also known as the crackhouse law. It was like his signature crusade for a couple years, and then it gets a modified version slipped in the amber alert bill that got passed.

Basically it makes club owners and party promoters liable for drug dealing that happens in the venues even if they don't even know the dealers. It isn't used much because it was pretty much gutted but it's just another tool the police have to gently caress with people.

We had protests here in Seattle and Portland, Biden is a dirty word among people i know.

Anyways, great write up escape artist. Who's doing the finale?

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 4, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

escape artist posted:

But do we really want to have a scene of Bubbles just making GBS threads and puking? There is one scene in Season 1 where he's detoxing slightly, and they adjust the camera lens, and he pulls on his facial hair and you can really tell how agitated he is, and his mannerisms are much quicker. When I went to rehab, I roomed with heroin addicts and until they got their first dose of meds, this is exactly how they acted. The terrible withdrawal doesn't kick in until a couple days after. The first day is just really unpleasant and all of your senses are in overdrive.

He's like at least a couple days in at this point though right? If he is shooting dope and has been for the last 20 years(we never find out when he started but you can tell it was real young) he is in for a very messy world of hurt. I never got that deep thankfully but i knew people that did and i know you did too.

I remember being a little miffed at his first season detox as well. I was just quitting pills(OC) when i watched it and couldn't eat or keep fluids in my body or do anything but sweat in to my sheets and pray for sweet release.

Edit: I kind of think we do need those scenes. Not him making GBS threads in to the sink while he vomits in a bucket, but more than him pulling out some mustache hairs and acting agitated.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 7, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Oh god and he uses more than just heroin. Imagine coming down off of heroin, coke, meth or who knows what(probably just mostly those three)

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Wait what? We never see Bodie get arrested at the hamsterdam cop orgy. When they get stopped going into hamsterdam is the only thing he got out of. Unless i somehow missed a scene somewhere.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Randomly Specific posted:

Another case of wanting it to be one way when it was really another.

"You want it to be one way. You want it to be one way, but it's the other way." is probably my favorite quote in the series. It's so simple, but it describes in two sentences the wall every human being with a heart, or a conscience, or whatever you want to call it runs into when faced with the realities of our fellow humans.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

cletepurcel posted:

Granted, he does this stuff a lot, I remember he was really whiny when he realized most people don't like Treme, saying something to the effect of them being too stupid to figure out the show. (I have never watched past the first season.)

Which is funny because there's nothing really to get about Treme. I like it because i can get baked and enjoy an hour of music mixed with a side of drama. I must just not get it.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

3spades posted:

Don't you think you would have a stick up your rear end being in his position? His character has probably wanted to be a cop (or come from a cop family) since he was a kid. All of a sudden his boss declares drugs are not only a 'paper bag' nuisance, but requires his presence at the border to sanction the area an open air drug market.

That's kinda the whole point though. Wanting to be a cop shouldn't mean wanting to take part in the drug war. The only reason he should be pissed is getting guard duty when he should be out solving real crimes like assaults, robberies, rapes and murders. Like Colvin says the worst part about the drug war is it ruined the job of being police.

Jerusalem i just want to thank you again for doing these writeups, and doing them as quick as you do. They are very entertaining and you have picked up on some stuff i've completely missed even after like 8 rewatches. (I watch too much TV)

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah remember he was in the loving basement before he was requested by name. And i'm pretty sure Rawls remembers what happened with the Barksdale case from season one.

It's not a racial thing. Wasn't he even saying that to a black guy?

Fake edit: Everyone always words things better than i can.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Ehh i still use "What up yo." as a greeting but i'm a white hippie boy in Portland so what do i know. When was yo used like that on the show? I can only think of Prez's "i'm not your yo" in season 4 but that didn't seem to have a racial vibe.

Edit: Did i even get that quote right? I can't find the scene on youtube.
Double edit: I guess they do call the kids "project yo's" a few times.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 26, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah i guess context is everything, i just figured it was because they are urban kids who say "yo" all the time, but thinking about it more it's obviously code for young black males. Here in Portland it's 90 percent white so our projects(lol Portland projects) are mainly white people, and the young white kids definitely still say yo.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah it's a really sad story. He was a kind soul who became an addict in like the worst place a nice person could become an addict.

God the amount of money we spend on helping(yes helping!) people like Gary become addicts by having this stupid drug war flood the streets with drugs because we have made them so profitable is sickening. We need to just fully legalize and have rehabs on all the corners the narcotic police used to chill at.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It's true that when everything is decriminalized the amount of users doesn't really change, but that also means there aren't more addicts just because it's easier to get drugs. And the people who are addicts don't have to worry about jail time, harassment, etc. It would be a HUGE change for addicts. When i was hooked on pills i had to go to a loving methadone clinic to get off them and most people that go to those places don't get off methadone like ever, i feel lucky i did.

If there would have been a free rehab(have you ever had to look into how much pay rehabs cost? Cause i have and it's a lot) i would have checked in as soon as i knew i had a problem.

Edit: I don't think any western country has even tried full legalization either.
I love double edits!: Finding out last year that the methadone clinic(CRC Health, basically every methadone clinic in the northwest) was owned by Bain Capital was fun. I wonder how much of my $320 a month went to Mittens.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 27, 2013

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely cannot wait to season 4 either, it's without a doubt my favorite season of the Wire, and I'll happily write up every single episode if I can get away with it.

Yeah every new write up you do makes me happy because season 4 is so close now.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Boywhiz88 posted:

Considering I just watched the 5th season, what happens in holding is that Chris has the murder charge on him and that's why they think Michael rolled. He's not up high enough to know anything about distribution, but he could put the murder charge on Chris and so they wonder if he snitched about that, not the whole operation.

The whole situation is so hosed up. Chris even says to Marlo that he doesn't see Michael talking to the cops. Marlo's "Me neither, but are you going to bet your freedom on that?" is ice cold.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So how many times have people rewatched the show? I think I'm somewhere between 8 or 10. Just finished the first season again. Its crazy I don't usually do this but for some reason its still entertaining. I could probably do a one man show and get it line for line at this point but its still awesome. I don't know what the gently caress.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Deadwood. The Shield. Arrested Development. Game of Thrones. THE WIRE AGAIN. Boom bam Bing. Oh and Six Feet Under is pretty awesome.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Its funny I always thought the show was a British show about spies so I was like "gently caress that". I still don't know why. Because it was HBO I gave it a quick youtube watch of the first scene years later and Snot Boogie changed my TV life forevor. How does that work.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

gently caress the drug war and all that, but also i hope she's doing ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

BrotherJayne posted:

Come on, buddy. Parris Island takes 13 weeks, and you don't need nearly that quality to hit corners.

Take 100 youths. Perform health and mental aptitude checks, drop the those too fat, blind, deaf, or stupid.

Take the 80 that remain. Start classroom instruction, start mixing in some pugil activity to foster aggression, drop those that can't be instructed and arn't aggressive enough.

Take the 40 that remain. Start firearms training, sandbox and killtown exercises, and comm standards.

Finish with 30 killer cubs. Put 25 on the streets, retain 5 as instructors, start the process again. Periodically perform refresher courses.

The whole cycle can be managed in a month, and the end product obviously won't all be Rambo motherfuckers, but you'll have consistency and quality sufficient to handle street actions.

Edit: Take with a grain of salt. I'm making assumptions based on the general quality of anticipated OPFOR. A specialist (USASF Green Beret types) would probably be able to pin it down better

Edit 2: "Buddy" not intended as insulting, just in case it was taken that way

Edit 3: Edits are fun!

I mean it's basically how they trained irregulars in WW2: Drop some special forces dudes behind lines and do pretty much most of that. These are also pretty much paramilitary organizations, i mean poo poo you're up against the United States government at the height of the drug war...