Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'd just like to add that the Barksdales closest thing to Mr. Nugget, their chemist, is barely heard from or seen at all in the series. He shows up when the Barksdales get Prop Joe's connect and he tests it for purity and says something like, "we can stomp on this bitch." I think he is in other episodes but he is hardly a player at all, and even if he did invent some new McCrack Nuggets, he wouldn't get a percentage.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On the subject of looking out for 'your people,' Daniels explicitly coaches Prez on what to write in his report after he pistol whips the kid. Saying something like, "He proceded to menace you with a broken bottle and you feared for your safety and the safety of your fellow officers." This echoes later when he coaches him again after he shoots the cop in season 3. "Then you shouted, 'Police!' Right?"

Carver starts to do the same thing in season 5 after Colicchio pulls the guy out of his car for honking his horn. "You are going to have to be careful about how you write this..." But Carver then decides not to go to bat for Collichio because he was out of control.

Notably, the guy he beats up is a teacher, like Prez. Dunno what that means though...

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I am pretty sure Jimmy wears a Cladagh ring in some episodes. Lots of Irish people do.
Like this...

I am not sure if does at this point though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've always wondered how Lester picked up that skill. Did he do it in his misspent youth or did he learn it as part of an investigation he did before the 13.33 years in the pawn shop unit? :confused:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Tiny Chalupa, don't read this thread! It is filled with spoilers! I'd hate to ruin this show for anybody.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
From a thread in D&D
The Western District way...

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Like, Valchek doesn't care, Burrell doesn't care, but daniels and lester and co clearly do.

Burrell also tells them to flush any list of clients they might find, fearing their might be connected people on it. And I want to say he and Valchek chuckle in a sleazy way that suggests they may have been clients in another scene.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 9, 2017

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a new NYT article about the inspiration for Cutty and his gym.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
NPR had a short piece about dirty plain clothes cops in Baltimore today. It sounds Herc, Carver a Kima are going back to uniform work.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's the scene where McNulty drives to New Jersey to interview another group of foreign sex workers that are being detained there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My first time through I was super loving confused why Sydnor killed D'Angelo. How did he get into the prison in the first place?

But it's just that the two actors kinda look alike.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Crab chips, and scrapple are some poo poo I can't get in Wisconsin.

Also "I want a Shrek Surlpee, Bernard! and some Krispy Kreme" cracks me the gently caress up.

About the Deuce, here are a couple Wire connections that I noticed...

This actor playing a kinda crooked cop.

I thought this might be the same actor too, but I'm not sure. But in both scenes there's two guys sitting on a bench talking about the crime game they are playing and the nature of America. These are both in the opening few minutes.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 7, 2017

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WhitlockAcademy/status/920383877461499904

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bummer about Cathey. Dude was great in House of Cards too.

Norris Davis, who played the rim shop owner, tried to stage a a sequel play, but got shot down. As much as I want more, I don't think that's the way to do it.

Edit:
Just spotted this on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/963137903982448641

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 12, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The plural is pussae.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WendellPierce/status/971890824802914304

I guess the show has been off the air for 10 years.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just finished All the Pieces Matter, that oral history of the show. If you crazy enough about the show to still be posting on a dead gay comedy forum 10 years after it ended you should really read it. Tons of interesting insights and anecdotes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that was Poot.

Carletta, Arletta or something like that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I rewatched the Sopranos recently, Wire alums pop up in bit parts here and there.

Bodie jacks a truck in the first episode.
Rawls works as a Distract Attorney.
Omar shelters Jackie Jr when he has to hide.
Detective Crutchfield works as a bookie.
Horse Face plays Tony's high school football coach.
Business Card Homeless Man (that's really the name of the character) plays another mentally character in season 6.

Bonus: Maury Levy voices a beaver in a commercial for an insomnia medication that plays in one scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khY4dAdfDTE

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On the subject of Red Dragon... Frankie Faison (Burrell) was in 4 Hannibal Lecture Movies. Three times in the Anthony Hopkins movies, and once in Manhunter, which had Brian Cox in the role.

Those Lecter movies also take place in and around Baltimore.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Prez also has a bit part in Band of Brothers. He plays Dick Winters' (Damien Lewis) orderly. Ron Livingston asks him to get some bacon sandwiches.

Edit: This remains the best 'Holy poo poo, they were in the Wire' Moment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluvJby2baA

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 11, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Suxpool posted:

who the gently caress is the 4th guy though? why do you get all the sobotkas and then a random 4th guy? horseface wasn't available?

They shoulda gotten Simon himself to be Guy #4.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Unzip and Attack posted:

Not the same guy.

You're right.

It's me. I'm the face blind goon people talk about.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 11, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

i enjoy narcos but it's the game of thrones version of the wire.

Nah... Oberyn Martell only lasts a couple of episodes. Agent Pena is still going into season 3.:cheeky:

Honestly, there's nothing that compares to the Wire imo. Everything falls short in one way or another, characterization, accuracy, social critique...

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bodie is in an episode of the sopranos. I think it’s in season one, he fucks up stealing a truck.

Pretty sure it is the very first episode.

I rewatched the Sopranos recently and there were a bunch of Wire cast members here and there. I posted a list. I'll find it using that "?" button in SALR.

Edit: Here it is...

deoju posted:

I rewatched the Sopranos recently, Wire alums pop up in bit parts here and there.

Bodie jacks a truck in the first episode.
Rawls works as a Distract Attorney.
Omar shelters Jackie Jr when he has to hide.
Detective Crutchfield works as a bookie.
Horse Face plays Tony's high school football coach.
Business Card Homeless Man (that's really the name of the character) plays another mentally character in season 6.

Bonus: Maury Levy voices a beaver in a commercial for an insomnia medication that plays in one scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khY4dAdfDTE

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 24, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Randy and Dukie are heartbreaking in different ways.

You think Randy has so much potential, and then the system chews him up, but Dukie never had a chance.

And then there's Namond, who you are sure is gonna be gobbled up by the corner, but Bunny takes an interest in him, and he gets a chance.

Donut's kinda the foil to all of them. He starts off being interested in nothing but stealing cars. He continues being interested in nothing but cars, and the last thing you see that season is him blowing through a stop sign in a stolen car... His path didn't change at all while the others' did.

Edit: Donut's my dude. I love that kid.

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 24, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
To me his greatest performance will always be as a paparazzo in the timeless classic Spice World.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'd vote for Carcetti over Trump so loving hard.

Edit: My point is this: the candidate put forth by the Democrats will be flawed, but Trump is a loving fascist. Don't lose sight of that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This conversation is straddling the real and the fictional, so I'm going to state my central point clearly.

gently caress Trump. Vote for his democratic opponent in the 2020 presidential campaign.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Hasselblad posted:

If we are doing this I would rather people support and vote for a sane 3rd party candidate so we can at least ATTEMPT to kill the 2-party system that is doing us so much good. In bodymore murderland.

The Russians leveraged attitudes like this in to a Trump victory. A few thousand votes shifting from Stein to Clinton in a certain states and we wouldn't be in this situation.

The time for purity tests or protest votes is the primary.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yes, but the didn't. And they might not next time, stil vote for them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sobotka 2020
Wrong for the right reasons.

I'm Frank Sobotka and I approve of this message.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the Bawlimer accent is interesting.

Also when McNulty follows Stringer to his Community College class the lecture is about price inelasticity and supply and demand, basic Econ 101 stuff. He's thinking about the game as a business but is still learning the fundamentals. To his credit he answers the question correctly though.

BTW, drugs are just about the most inelastic product there is. Addicts will buy the roughly same amount no matter how high the price goes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I was surprised by many of the deaths in The Wire but was confounded most ultimately by Bubbles' continuing to live :unsmith:

If there was a sixth season and Bubs relapsed again I couldn't have taken it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just started watching the second season of the Deuce. Spotted Frank Sobotka channeling Jimmy McNulty.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but tons of people miss the point.

Also somebody said there's no such thing as an anti war movie, because on some level you are glorifying it. Same with a show about drug dealers?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Season 5 didn't work for me the first time through. It's still probably my least favorite. It's definitely worth it though.

You gotta watch for how things end for Bubbles and Omar at least.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Season 5 made more sense to me when I realized faking murders was the logical result of "juking the stats" and "cases go from red to black by way of green." When the system has hosed up priorities and incentives, it is vulnerable to poo poo like that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Between the accents and words I don't know I have a hard time with some UK shows too. I just turn on subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Lol. :cop: