Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

drunken officeparty posted:

The writers just gave up on the “need to have a visual on the person on the phone” in season 2 didn’t they.

I don't think you need a visual confirmation when you're tapping a private phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The serial killer angle doesn't do anything for me but I like the pulitzer chasing storyline and Gus's arc of exposing Templeton and getting demoted for it, but still working at the paper in the end. I don't know if it would have made it work all the way, but it would have helped if they had seeded the paper storyline in seasons 3 and 4 by bringing in some of the characters to cover the Hamsterdam / Schools / Election stories. I think it would be fun and help with buy-in if we saw Scott, Alma, or Gus butting heads with Carcetti or the police brass before being brought fully into their world.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean fundamentally Gus is the same character as McNulty but without his flaws so it’s not hard to see why he’s annoying.

Like imagine if he was just hero cop protecting the streets for the children

I don't think Gus and Mcnulty and that similar. Gus is willing to play management's game to a point, is in a leadership / mentor role, and generally doesn't seem to be a workaholic. If anything he's more like Daniels season 1 and Alma is playing Mcnulty.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The scene where Carcetti gets the news is such an all-timer. Basically makes the whole plot worth it IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpG92dsx1A

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The Deuce is great and the most The Wire-like thing he's done since then I think. It also ties crime to police / government, but with fewer procedural elements / less cop show stuff. Unfortunately it's a little hard to watch a show about sex exploitation starring noted acting coach creep / teen seducer James Franco. It's an ensemble show, but he has the biggest part (playing two characters) and also doesn't bring a lot to the table, acting-wise. If you can get past that the rest of the show is definitely worth investing in.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'll wait until it's all out to watch it but I'm fine with shows coming out episodically for those who prefer it that way. People always talk up the experience of water cooler chat and watching with a community but that can hurt a show too. The first season of Westworld was the worst for me. I enjoyed the first couple episodes but the fan theorizing and speculation got so intense for that show in geek circles that I got spoiled on all of the big twists weeks before they happened. With friends, at work, on the internet, I couldn't get away from it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I've adjusted pretty well

2003-5: poo poo was always hosed up
2015: specific poo poo was hosed up
2017: consequences (if any) of the specific fuckups

I'm at least following characters okay even if I'm hosed for names for half of them. Marlo and Poot are just Marlo and Poot.

I've been loving Jamie Hector as the very un-Marlo detective suitor. Probably my second favorite performance after Bernthal.

This show has the Wire's fingerprints all over it so much that I was a little taken aback when they name dropped O'Malley this episode in the '03 timeline. Makes sense obviously since this version of Baltimore is based on a non-fiction book. I wonder if Simon were to re-do The Wire if he would drop the pseudonymous characters and use real public figures. Maybe you still couldn't get away with depicting a real mayor cheating on his wife while looking at himself in the mirror.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My read on it is Avon was probably a lot more like Marlo when he ten years younger and still trying to take over instead of being on top in his thirties trying to hold others down. If you want to put it into a metaphor it's like the difference between the hyper-expansionist 19th century US and the "protecting stability and international norms" 21st century US. Avon's super-casual prison sitdown with Marlo to negotiate handing over the heroin connection is indicative of their relationship. Avon knows who Marlo is and it doesn't make him uncomfortable or unsettled in the least to hand over the reins to him after he's played all of his cards.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
We Own This City was good. I saw Simon say in an interview that he thought he could be more incisive with a non-fiction-based story about real people though and I didn't feel that way coming off the show as a viewer. Their biggest shots were aimed at street-level cops and the higher the person was in the chain of command (police commissioner, mayor) the less the show had to say about them. The specific drama around the Gun Trace Task Force robbing and jacking people up wasn't that interesting to me.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
God drat, normally celebrity deaths don't get me but I was really not expecting that. :smith:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Deadwood is my all-time fave, but on rewatches I think they softened Al too much after the pilot. At first he seems clever but brutal and shortsighted (swindling rich tourists and killing them when they get suspicious, letting his anti-semitism get in the way of doing business with Seth and Sol, beating Trixie), but by season 2 he's become a longsighted civic paragon, spending or forgoing tens of thousands of dollars for the good of the camp and unspecified future gains (at what point was his land supposed to become more valuable after everyone else got bought out by the Hearst operation anyway?) It feels like they basically shifted Al's original character onto Tolliver when he arrives and Powers Boothe does a great job but I can't help but think Seth and Al's arcs would have been stronger if Al had stayed a little meaner and Seth didn't fall in line with him so quickly after becoming sheriff.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
One of my favorite low-key dynamics in this show is Lester nursing a grudge just as big as Mcnulty's that fucks up Daniels and Pearlman repeatedly but mostly getting away with it just through fatherly affect and not openly announcing his disobedience to anyone who will listen.

https://i.imgur.com/ukxutjt.mp4

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jewmanji posted:

For me this was Do The Right Thing.

Also, Freamon was suspect from the beginning of the show when he started dating someone who was a witness to the crime he was investigating.

He also gives Bunk this lecture about picking up younger women at a bar, which is pretty rich coming from him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DHsUPMygZE&t=25s

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Sheeeeeit is the meme but the best Clay Davis moment is either him stumbling out of the first grand jury meeting looking stunned and then jerking his smile into place when he sees the reporters or when he giggles like a maniac after asking Carcetti and Norman to pick up the tab at the restaurant when they pay him off before the election.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 16, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Things that work from the serial killer storyline from the top of my head:

- Carcetti making homelessness his signature issue
- Mcnulty's criminal profile
- Mcnulty and the reporter guy visiting the homeless camp and trying to connect with people (all of the actual homeless stuff is great actually and could have used more time, like the sex trafficking sideplot from s2)
- Mcnulty's "smack daddy crack daddy" scrambled call to the reporter guy's phone
- Carcetti learning the truth as mentioned earlier

Even though most of my favorite things about it are Mcnulty-related I think he kind of drags S5 down in general. They spend too much time on him acting stupid in the homicide dept while Bunk glowers at him, and his falling off the wagon and Beadie leaving him aren't very interesting.

There's a lot of great stuff around the serial killer storyline like the Davis trial, all the broke police dept stuff (I particularly love 1) Mcnulty arriving at a homicide scene by bus, 2) Mello and Carver watching the melee in the parking lot and not bothering to break it up, and 3) the CSI people mixing up all of the actual serial killer evidence because a lab tech was replaced with a temp), and Burrell's swan song (love the scene of him pacing behind Daniels with a golf club)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Count Roland posted:

Ziggy was smart enough that he didn't need to be a dock worker. He was computer and even internet literate, knew how to work a digital camera and was generally pretty sharp. His judgement was terrible, but that only really caused him problems when he got into the crime.

He's the sort that would have found success as a computer toucher sort of thing, or maybe business if he had someone to keep him in check. But because of the culture he grew up in that seemed to never cross his mind, if indeed such opportunities were available at all in Baltimore at that time.

You can be good at the docks, or bad at the docks. But there is nothing outside the docks.

I'm not saying it's completely impossible that Ziggy could teach himself Java at the library and solo bootstrap his way into the middle class, but considering the only reason he doesn't get fired from his checking job is because his dad is his boss, I would say you're hanging a lot on his ability to change a desktop background and work a search engine. I would rate him less as "too smart for the docks" and more "lucky to have his dockworker job."

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

deep dish peat moss posted:

I take back what I said before, the funniest line in the series is Bubbles calling hotdogs Pimp Steaks

Herc sucks but I'll never not laugh at "Mr. Mayor, that's a good, strong dick you got there, and I see you know how to use it."

Incidentally, Royce is an underrated character. He's a lot of fun during the election arc. I might like him even more than Clay Davis.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

surf rock posted:

- Of course Burrell hears "maybe try doing some police work so that firing you isn't as obviously desirable" and his solution is to literally double-down on the useless bullshit. Burrell continues to have absolutely zero redeeming qualities.

+ killer short putting game
+ impeccable cop-stache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The best part about We Own This City is Jamie Hector/Marlo as a mild mannered homicide detective. If we're plumping for Simon shows I'll shout out The Deuce. It's the closest to The Wire in terms of scope and goes over some of the same territory (and has a ton of fun new roles for Wire alums). The only negatives about it in my mind are it's extremely bleak, especially later on (although it still finds time for humor and character moments), and it co-stars acting coach molestor and teen groomer James Franco, which sucks, but I still think the show is worth checking out.