Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you trying to jinx yourself? You might as well say your one day from retiring at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Whatever you do, don't show us pictures of your family back home!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hey guys, not dead. Everything's cool. Resume worrying about Oren instead.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The death music is creepy in a way that makes you feel numb. Kinda like an actual death, I guess.

Is Nidai going to be okay? :ohdear:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whatever you do, don't show us pictures of your family back home!

But he can't die! He just bought a boat!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

so does that mean Pork Lift really IS a ghost? :tinfoil:

Who?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You know, Pork Lift. The best forums moperator.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Just wanted to add this, found it on a pic site.

You're welcome.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
so is the lp cancelled because there's an official translation now or what

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
What they said. Somehow, amazingly, I have remained unspoiled. Should I just go ahead and look up the rest?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

timp posted:

What they said. Somehow, amazingly, I have remained unspoiled. Should I just go ahead and look up the rest?

Do you have the ability to play the translation? Wait for that if so.

If not go ahead. I ended up finishing the game myself and it's worth it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Oren moved to Japan (I think?). This is immensely complicated and I don't blame him for not having time for an LP. It's kind of sad if it just ends here, but he's devoted enough effort to entertain us.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I would just wait for the game to come out and play it then.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I liked the game more when I'd beaten it once and could appreciate things about the plot that I didn't get on the first playthrough.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
The only thing that makes me hesitant about simply playing the game when it comes out is DR0 and all the potential spoilers/easter eggs that it contains. I can see the game being written in such a way that you don't lose much unless you know what's missing, but if the writers actually expected you to read the prequel, I'd rather read it first.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SingerOfW posted:

The only thing that makes me hesitant about simply playing the game when it comes out is DR0 and all the potential spoilers/easter eggs that it contains. I can see the game being written in such a way that you don't lose much unless you know what's missing, but if the writers actually expected you to read the prequel, I'd rather read it first.

DR0 is not good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SingerOfW posted:

Maybe there'll be an in-game guide/codex that keeps you informed as the plot progresses?

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I read a translation of the rest of DR2 on the dreaded tumblr, and you don't really need to be familiar with DR0 to understand the rest of the story.
I am sure the rest of DR0 helps to fill things in or something but it is not really necessary. And not sure if we will see it at this point.
I would agree that I really didn't like DR0 very much

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I've enjoyed reading the DR0 updates here. They're well translated, and I think the reason they don't have a strong instant appeal is because of the many early chapters from Ryouko's really limited perspective. Once it got on to Kirigiri for a chpater or so, and once Ryouko started being more interesting, it became much more fun. It is probably also the sort of thing where as we find out more about the story, we'll find the early chapters more interesting in retrospect. It's probably going to keep getting better.

But, since there's a chance there might not be any more of it, does anybody happen to have heard if there's another fan translation of DR0 out there? I don't really dare to look it up in case I run into spoilers along the way.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'll see if I can do the rest of Zero soon. As people said, I did move countries a couple of months ago, and so was seriously busy in Real Life (not to mention not having the hardware to record the game). The English release of SDR2 is approaching fast, so I seriously doubt we'll see more on that front over here, but Zero is still something I'd like to get done. If I don't procrastinate too much I might still even finish it in time for the game's release!

I really do like Zero, especially the parts we haven't seen yet. I think it does a nice job of fleshing out Junko's personality and motivations for the first game, as well as provide setup for some stuff in SDR2 that reads like an information dump that comes out of nowhere if you haven't read the novel.

Unrelated to that, I'd like to tell you about the two places left in the game that I've been troubled the most with how to translate. I'm going to keep actual spoilers very very vague - there's no real story information under the black bars - but you're warned nonetheless. I'd like to think the official translation does something clever with both, but I have my doubts.

The first is at the end of chapter 3. A certain character gives a short speech about another character (who is not present) in a way that doesn't mention their gender, which is very easy to do in Japanese. I think a perfect translation here should not only avoid mentioning a gender, but also do so in a way that doesn't attract attention to itself, which is very difficult. No "they" allowed here. Ideally, the reader shouldn't even notice and just assume a certain gender based on the context of the speech..

The second is for people who read Zero, which is why I assume they're just going to remove the entire issue in the translation. Hinata comes across a captioned photograph, but he doesn't know how to read the kanji-only name in it. Observant readers of Zero may figure out those characters can be read "Izuru Kamukura" at that time, but they may also not. He later hears Kamukura's name in a different context, and finally connects the two himself. I had a clever idea how to do that one that I'm disappointed you won't get to see.

Stay tuned.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alas.

I cannot wait to see the official take on Dull Start.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

asvodel posted:

I read a translation of the rest of DR2 on the dreaded tumblr, and you don't really need to be familiar with DR0 to understand the rest of the story.
I am sure the rest of DR0 helps to fill things in or something but it is not really necessary. And not sure if we will see it at this point.
I would agree that I really didn't like DR0 very much

Mind sharing the link? I dont really know how to navigate tumblr and my googling is failing me

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
If nobody else minds me posting it.
It was on http://birdmanronpa.tumblr.com/
It does not contain chapter 3, but does contain from chapter 4 to the end. Just brought it up because of the questions about if it was necessary to read Zero before playing DR2.

Trigger warning: contains trigger warnings.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks! I had youtubed the execution spoilers and yea some of these need explaining

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
Another person who read other translations for dr2 here, and I'd agree that it seems like not having read all of dr0 won't make things impossible to follow, but there is a late game info dump that I expect will be way more enjoyable if you've read it.

And thank you for the translation you've done so far Oren, I've really liked reading DR0 and am looking forward to more. Understandable that moving country would keep you busy, so take the time you need.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's too bad. I'm going to miss hearing goons thoughts on random stuff. I'm watching a translated playthrough on Youtube, but unfortunately it uses "Super Duper". Ugh.

EDIT: removed, sorry.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 15, 2014

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Violet_Sky posted:

That's too bad. I'm going to miss hearing goons thoughts on random stuff. I'm watching a translated playthrough on Youtube, but unfortunately it uses "Super Duper". Ugh.

[spoiler]

[spoiler]forgot the spoiler rules, sorry.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 15, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The english version of DR2 is coming out in September or so, anyone know who the voice actors are? I suppose I could look it up, but that would likely lead to spoilers.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The english version of DR2 is coming out in September or so, anyone know who the voice actors are? I suppose I could look it up, but that would likely lead to spoilers.

I don't have the list on me to give you, but I can tell you that you've actually heard of many of them, as opposed to the cast of the first game.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Hinata: Johnny Yong Bosch
Komaeda: Bryce Papenbrook (Also Naegi)
Nanami: Christine Marie Cabanos
Kuzuryu: Derek Stephen Prince
Sonia: Natalie Hoover
Souda: Kyle Hebert
Togami: Jason Wishnov (Also Togami)
Hanamura: Todd Haberkorn
Saionji: Kira Buckland
Nidai: Patrick Seitz
Gundam: Chris Tergliafera
Monobear: Brian Beacock
Monomi: Rebecca Forstadt

I got those off Wikipedia. Owari Koizumi, Peko, Ibuki, and Mikan's English actors aren't listed.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 15, 2014

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Violet_Sky posted:

REMOVED

I realize that the LP is basically over, but the rule has always been no spoilers, even in spoiler tags. Personally, I assumed that this would continue, and I'm a little disappointed that you just spoiled one of the cases without any warning for those of us who haven't played the game or read another LP yet.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 16, 2014

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Viscardus posted:

I realize that the LP is basically over, but the rule has always been no spoilers, even in spoiler tags. Personally, I assumed that this would continue, and I'm a little disappointed that you just spoiled one of the cases without any warning for those of us who haven't played the game or read another LP yet.

Yeah, that's not very nice. Quoting the spoiler is not exactly ideal either, though.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

curiousTerminal posted:

Owari: Romi Park

That would be her Japanese voice actress.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

And More posted:

Yeah, that's not very nice. Quoting the spoiler is not exactly ideal either, though.

What difference does it make at that point? The first spoiler is still there, and you'd have to really not be paying attention to see that I just said I'm quoting something that spoils one of the cases. If the original spoiler is removed, I can edit the quote out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm just gonna wait for the inevitable Let's Play of the official English version when it comes out. Just got to keep dodging spoilers until then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Every Patrick Seitz role is ruined for me now that he's played DIO.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

EdgeryWorthy posted:

That would be her Japanese voice actress.

Oh, so it is. Her English one isn't listed, I'll remove it from my post.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

It's great to hear that there'll probably be more of the DR0 translation! I've been really looking forward to seeing more of it. A pity that the DR2 LP will end, since Orenronen and Fedule did amazingly well at it, but with the game coming out in two months nobody could realistically expect them to want to spend their time translating it. I will definitely miss speculating alongside the people in this thread. It's been great fun. I bought a PS Vita recently, so I'll just be getting and playing the game when it comes out rather than reading the other translations or waiting for 6 months after the game's release for an inevitable non-translation LP.

The English voice actors for DR2 look pretty good at first glance. I've always liked Johnny Yong Bosch, and he could be a good Hinata. And it's great that they're getting the same person to play Komaeda as played Naegi and the same person to play Togami, like in the Japanese version. (In addition, I am also pleased that Todd Haberkorn is playing Hanamura, because I don't like Haberkorn and him being Hanamura rather than someone else means he won't still be talking in chapter 2.)

Waffleman_ posted:

Every Patrick Seitz role is ruined for me now that he's played DIO.

Oh, but Nidai just gained the potential for many DIO jokes. That's got to be worth something.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Kira Buckland is voicing Saionji? As in, loving Dialla from the Trapped Flash games? Uh, okay then. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
It's a shame that this LP has come to an end, but it's understandable given the circumstances. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, though, and you guys did an excellent job in the translation. Thanks for putting this together! :)

• Locked thread