Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Kay Kessler posted:

Kira Buckland is voicing Saionji? As in, loving Dialla from the Trapped Flash games? Uh, okay then. :psyduck:
She... does have the voice for Saionji, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I'm looking forward to the rest of DR0, at least. Hopefully we'll get some explanation for the whole mess.

I'll admit the other thing I'm curious about are the Kirigiri novels. They're supposed to reveal how she messed up her hands, right? But I haven't seen any translation attempts anywhere and I highly doubt we'll ever officially get them in English.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Princey posted:

I'll admit the other thing I'm curious about are the Kirigiri novels. They're supposed to reveal how she messed up her hands, right? But I haven't seen any translation attempts anywhere and I highly doubt we'll ever officially get them in English.

The Kirigiri novels are strange. I read the two that are out and I don't think they're very good, although they're certainly a compelling read. My main problem with them is that besides Kirigiri and the other protagonist (who is also the narrator of the books), every single character that shows up is an extreme one-dimensional caricature with no depth whatsoever. I'm not talking DR/DR2 style stereotype characters that show some depth when you prod them (sometimes only through optional events) - these characters really lack any kind of depth whatsoever. Most of them also have a really unappealing personality with no redeeming characteristics.

The other thing about the Kirigiri novels is that they take the DR grotesque morbidity and full-scale mass murder to an extreme that is sometimes fun until you remember the main character involved with all this stuff is a 12 year old girl. A very competent 12 year old, but still.

They are fun as fair but difficult whodunnit mystery stories and are page turners, I'll give them that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

orenronen posted:

The Kirigiri novels are strange. I read the two that are out and I don't think they're very good, although they're certainly a compelling read. My main problem with them is that besides Kirigiri and the other protagonist (who is also the narrator of the books), every single character that shows up is an extreme one-dimensional caricature with no depth whatsoever. I'm not talking DR/DR2 style stereotype characters that show some depth when you prod them (sometimes only through optional events) - these characters really lack any kind of depth whatsoever. Most of them also have a really unappealing personality with no redeeming characteristics.

So they're DR0.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

So they're DR0.

I wouldn't say so.

Now, don't get me wrong - Kodaka won't win prizes for any of his works for creating deep three dimensional characters (despite what some fangirls say about Komaeda) - but I think DR/Zero is pretty much in line with the games in regard to giving us new characters with a bit of depth to them even if they don't seem so at first. Our two protagonists, Otonashi and Matsuda, are pretty well rounded once you get all the revelations about them and their motivations. Kamishiro is almost all unpleasant caricature, but even he gets a bit at the end of the book that shows at least some thought had been put into his character. Even Madarai, who is only there to serve as an antagonistic obstacle, shows signs of an actual personality.

The Kirigiri characters are nothing like that. They really are as one dimensional as they first appear, and there isn't even a failed attempt to paint them as anything other.

Psychodrama
May 29, 2013

Van Dine posted:

I will definitely miss speculating alongside the people in this thread.

Yeah, I'll really be missing that. This LP was really a unique experience: a big group getting to hash out a mystery together with each added piece of information, and sharing in collective reactions to updates. I'm sure I'll be wondering what everyone else's thoughts would be at certain times of my own playthrough! :shobon: So thanks for giving that to us, oren, and for all your hard work translating.

From what I have seen of the first game's localization, it's very good, but even so I'd say there's still some bits I saw which I preferred less to how you handled them. For instance, Mondo calling Chihiro "that dude" in the second trial, which stuck out like a sore thumb in the official game, as opposed to your subtle choice of "that kid". It seems like these kinds of translation decisions would definitely pose more difficulty with this second game (moreso now knowing that you've found two instances coming up which would make for tricky translating.) Ibuki makes many Japanese language-centric puns, and I'm curious what they'll do about all of Sonia's Japanese TV show references. And of course, I don't think anything can top DULL Start, but we'll see! I also wonder if Gundam's dialogue can match Fedule's awesome rendering of how he speaks :allears:

I'm really glad to hear you still plan on finishing DR0. Count me as another who's really enjoying it.

Uh, speaking of novels, since the first game's English release, I've been following DR discussion on a forum that thankfully keeps spoilers strictly tagged, and I read there that a novel came with the release of the game in Japan. People seemed to think that it'd also be included in the Limited Edition release here, but it doesn't look like it, unless I missed seeing it when buying my copy. I'd look it up, but you know...spoilers and poo poo :v: What's the deal with it, and is it worth a read like DR0?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Psychodrama posted:

Uh, speaking of novels, since the first game's English release, I've been following DR discussion on a forum that thankfully keeps spoilers strictly tagged, and I read there that a novel came with the release of the game in Japan. People seemed to think that it'd also be included in the Limited Edition release here, but it doesn't look like it, unless I missed seeing it when buying my copy. I'd look it up, but you know...spoilers and poo poo :v: What's the deal with it, and is it worth a read like DR0?

This may refer to Dangan Ronpa IF, which is a post-game feature in SDR2. I'm not sure if the English release will have that intact or not - I haven't heard either way.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

orenronen posted:

This may refer to Dangan Ronpa IF, which is a post-game feature in SDR2. I'm not sure if the English release will have that intact or not - I haven't heard either way.

IF is great.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

orenronen posted:

One of the NISA people has claimed IF will be localized in SDR2. So that's good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Kodaka won't win prizes for any of his works for creating deep three dimensional characters (despite what some fangirls say about Komaeda)

Komaeda owns. :colbert:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
First order of business once we invent a time machine is figure out who decided to give Kira Buckland actual roles in proper projects and turn their gaze towards Edwyn Tiong instead, because this is an absolute travesty and I will not stand for this Bull poo poo

vvv In that case, all is well and good in the world vvv

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 16, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

First order of business once we invent a time machine is figure out who decided to give Kira Buckland actual roles in proper projects and turn their gaze towards Edwyn Tiong instead, because this is an absolute travesty and I will not stand for this Bull poo poo

I think Edwyn Tiong has a major voice in the game Dust: an Elysian Tail.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
People don't like Buckland? Never been much of a fan of hers, honestly, but I think she'll make decent Saionji. I don't know, I just always got the impression that she was fairly well liked.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 17, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

alcharagia posted:

Komaeda owns. :colbert:

:hfive:

Psychodrama posted:

Yeah, I'll really be missing that. This LP was really a unique experience: a big group getting to hash out a mystery together with each added piece of information, and sharing in collective reactions to updates. I'm sure I'll be wondering what everyone else's thoughts would be at certain times of my own playthrough! :shobon: So thanks for giving that to us, oren, and for all your hard work translating.

Yeah, thanks you guys. Even when the speculation got crazy I just liked seeing the goon reactions to everything. And I'm really going to miss Fedule's dialogue! But they did seem to do an all right job with the official DR1 translation, so here's hoping.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I actually haven't played the game, and I'll probably be purchasing a Vita TV to play the game for more of my boy Komaeda until he inevitably dies and Junko and Naegi come back and steal the plot for no reason.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Y'know, with how popular these threads have been, Oren could probably convince a mod to let him keep updating the thread with the English version after it's released if he wants to. Dunno if the differing translation would drive him insane or not, though. I mean I know there's the rule about LPing games right after release, but considering this LP has been going on for a while, and it very obviously isn't a LOL IMMA BLIND LP DIS NEW GAEM thread or anything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Orenonen put it better then I could have but what I was going to say is that the books had more video gamey writing then the actual Dangan Ronpa video games.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Y'know, with how popular these threads have been, Oren could probably convince a mod to let him keep updating the thread with the English version after it's released if he wants to. Dunno if the differing translation would drive him insane or not, though. I mean I know there's the rule about LPing games right after release, but considering this LP has been going on for a while, and it very obviously isn't a LOL IMMA BLIND LP DIS NEW GAEM thread or anything.

Hello, what's it like 4-5 months ago?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Y'know, with how popular these threads have been, Oren could probably convince a mod to let him keep updating the thread with the English version after it's released if he wants to.

Didn't Geop already say that Oren could do that, were he so inclined? Or am I misremembering that conversation about the three month rule?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The problem isn't that he can't LP the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Geop allowed him to continue the translation because he was using a version that was well past the 3 month rule.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Suspicious Dish posted:

The problem isn't that he can't LP the game.
Could be wrong but I think this is probably a bigger issue than the 3-month rule. Oren was using the version that came out on the PSP, not the Vita. Proper recording for the vita costs a couple hundred for modification. Of course someone could use the Vita's screenshot function, but with vocal recordings for hours of content through the trials a lot would be lost.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why would he have to switch to the Vita version?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why would he have to switch to the Vita version?
Because the upcoming English version is only being released on Vita.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, continue doing the capture on PSP as he is now, and pull the script from the Vita version?

My understanding is that it's not due to money or equipment or "LP police", it's just that orenronen is a busy man getting settled in a new country, with a busy job, and he just doesn't feel motivated to show the world what a cool game Danganronpa 2 is because translating is a lot of hard work, and it's coming out officially soon anyway. I would be too.

But at the same time, orenronen, I hope you feel accomplished in getting this game noticed enough to have an official release! I mean:

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/ posted:

Because of the platform and some of the subject matter, I doubt it will ever be localized for the west. But since it's one of my favorite games of 2010, I thought it's a shame people can't see it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, continue doing the capture on PSP as he is now, and pull the script from the Vita version?

I'll give one counter - I am interested in seeing what other games this dude has in the pipe. (He showed me one once, and it was pretty fun looking so...)

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Yes, Orenronen has a lot to be proud of. It does seem to be the case that Dangan Ronpa would probably never have been officially translated if not for Orenronen's LPs. Many congratulations are due there!

slowbeef posted:

I'll give one counter - I am interested in seeing what other games this dude has in the pipe. (He showed me one once, and it was pretty fun looking so...)

If the moderators would allow it (and I have no idea if they would), it might actually make some sense if Orenronen went ahead with whatever new projects he had planned and somebody else were to go ahead and continue this thread with the LP of DR2 from where he left off, whether with the official English game screenshots or with PSP screenshots and the new script.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

I would legitimately rather see new LPs from Oren rather than an LP of the English version of DR2. At this point this LP has served as a nice demo and, ended here, I'll definitely be getting the official release to see the rest. And there's a lot of really cool Japan-only games Oren could show off, that I'd love to see him show off.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."

Psychodrama posted:

I'm also guessing IF is what they're talking about, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the short story that came with the first Japanese bluray of the DR anime. Called "Makoto Naegi’s Worst Day Ever", I'd recommend reading it at some point. It's about Naegi getting picked as SHSL Luck and does a good job of playing with if it's good or bad luck he has. It was penned by Kodaka and Zetsubou did a full translation. Fun fast read for the interested.

Standard disclaimer of if you're trying avoid spoilers though, I'd say wait until after playing/reading DR2 in case of vague spoilers. Which I'm not going to confirm or deny there is, because that would be a spoiler itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Crap, I didn't mean to bump this thread. Sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 4, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Wrong thread, my mistake

Bean fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bean posted:

Where is the monomono machine in SDR2?

Also, I seem to remember something about being able to go back and do free time events with people by replaying chapters. How does that work?

In the SDR2 Let's Play, I thought orenronen said that there was something that you could get only by doing one of Komaeda's free times at a certain time. What was going on with that, exactly?

Perhaps you should try going to Games and asking in the actual Dangan Ronpa thread, and not the SDR2 LP thread which has been unnecessarily bumped again.

• Locked thread