Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ixjuvin posted:

I like how everyone is so excited about fat Togami that nobody has even mentioned the loving furry

Taking a wild stab in the dark, do you perhaps mean this character?

Because I'm pretty sure that's a Japanese punk/goth hairstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Rangpur posted:

The original LP (alternate title, Let's Make Lowtax Mad Bank on New Avatars)
And new accounts, can't forget about the new accounts.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Oh, man. The paywall rage is going to be even more ridiculous than before, isn't it?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ridiculous shot in the dark time.

Sailor Moon here is evil. Or dead first. That hair is far too ridiculous to live.

EDIT: Assuming redhead is a SHSL Photographer from the camera in her opening shot... Punk might be a SHSL Mechanic?

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 11, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Her execution will be having them detach, fly around, and slice her to pieces, as they are clearly scythes of some sort.

Apple Cider
Jan 30, 2009

That was messed up and feminist.
Whoa, I just finished reading the ENTIRE DR1 thread a month or so ago, so getting in with all the speculation and posts as they occur is exciting.

I love that we have Monousagi now and Fat Togami!

I'm already in love with Armband/Sword Girl!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goddammit, Super High-school Level Detective Conan is going to distract the hell out of me during every single one of his voiced segments. Takayama didn't even try to change up the voice(presumably on purpose, but still).

And for all the attention paid to Fat Togami, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction to Sakura Fukawa(with a dash of Ishimaru's crazy eyes). I'm torn between the writers running with the honorable warrior schtick again or making her evil specifically to go against that(and to go with the red eyes).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just see Yu Narukami in drag.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Am I crazy or does her hair clip look like the space ship in Galaga?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Haifisch posted:

Goddammit, Super High-school Level Detective Conan is going to distract the hell out of me during every single one of his voiced segments. Takayama didn't even try to change up the voice(presumably on purpose, but still).

And for all the attention paid to Fat Togami, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction to Sakura Fukawa(with a dash of Ishimaru's crazy eyes). I'm torn between the writers running with the honorable warrior schtick again or making her evil specifically to go against that(and to go with the red eyes).

Oh crap, it's a young Selvaria Bles!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

HGH posted:

Best of all though, no more "JUNKOS" for 50% of the thread! ...Unless Junko's ghost somehow shows up to murder everyone again or something.

:siren: Hey everyone! :siren:

JUNKOS got way out of hand in the last thread, and I'm gonna be strictly hitting for it in this thread. Do not invoke the JUNKOS meme.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Haifisch posted:

I'm holding it in for now.

(Before people take out their torches and pitchforks: no, I haven't spoiled myself beyond the official promo materials and some spoiler-free fan art.)

SingerOfW fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 11, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Okay, left to right we have Junko's sweeter younger sister, Celes and Leon's daughter, morbidly obese Togami, scarfed ninja, Naegi and Kirigi's daughter, punk sanitation worker, redhead camera girl, blonde Ishimaru, nurse Sayaka, Asahina letting her hair down, Chihiro's sherbert kimono sister, super saiyan Naegi, chef, Togami and Fukawa's daughter, and finally the combined genes of Sakura, Leon, and Oowada.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting Sakura from. Fukawa sure, and I can see Celes' hair ribbons or colour scheme, but that hair is clearly Kirigiri's.

I can't help but think SHSL Librarian every time I look at her, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Requested_Username posted:

Okay, left to right we have Junko's sweeter younger sister, Celes and Leon's daughter, morbidly obese Togami, scarfed ninja, Naegi and Kirigi's daughter, punk sanitation worker, redhead camera girl, blonde Ishimaru, nurse Sayaka, Asahina letting her hair down, Chihiro's sherbert kimono sister, super saiyan Naegi, chef, Togami and Fukawa's daughter, and finally the combined genes of Sakura, Leon, and Oowada.

Scarf ninja? Dude's obviously a Super High School Level Warlock.

Is it weird that I'm looking forward to the DR0 translation much more than DR2?

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 11, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Yapaari posted:

Also, is Fedule helping with the translation or is it just editing? I didn't really understand what you meant with "rewriting the translation". Do you mean "retranslating"?
Keep it up!

I don't speak a word of Japanese (at least, that I haven't pieced together from Dangan Ronpa). I'm strictly an editor, not a translator. What happens is, oren will do an initial translation which will be mostly flat but at least decipherable, and I will rewrite lines one at a time in (essentially) my own words, in order to make them read better in English.

Stay tuned for some utterly spellbinding discussion about moving words around in sentences.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Nipponophile posted:

Scarf ninja? Dude's obviously a Super High School Level Warlock.

I'm seeing Dark Ishimaru personally, but who knows.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting Sakura from. Fukawa sure, and I can see Celes' hair ribbons or colour scheme, but that hair is clearly Kirigiri's.
I'm getting Sakura from the fact that she appears to be carrying a kendo stick on her back, so she stole Fukawa's design and Sakura's olde fashionede warriore schtick. :v: (Now watch as I'm wrong and she's a valley girl who just, like, carries that stick around for fashion, y'know?)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Ridiculous shot in the dark time.

Sailor Moon here is evil. Or dead first. That hair is far too ridiculous to live.

EDIT: Assuming redhead is a SHSL Photographer from the camera in her opening shot... Punk might be a SHSL Mechanic?

...What exactly is up with her mouth? Is she whistling?

slowbeef posted:

JUNKOS got way out of hand in the last thread, and I'm gonna be strictly hitting for it in this thread. Do not invoke the JUNKOS meme.
Oh jeez, sorry for bringing it up at all in the first place. I was just hoping there won't be some huge bandwagon theory again.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Blastinus posted:

The thing that immediately jumped out at me regarding chef guy is that his facial design is almost exactly like the plant-loving guy from the concept art who never got used in the original game. Not sure where the idea came from that he's going to be the first murderer though. If anything, I'd probably expect it to be one of the more ordinary-looking ones, just to throw everyone off yet again.
People are overthinking the chef's design. Well, all of the designs, really but especially that guy(?). He's meant to resemble a food company mascot. Think Betty Crocker, or something like that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Super High School Level Loiterer

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012

slowbeef posted:

His hair looks like an ice cream swirl, I'm saying SHSL Ice Cream Maker. Delicious

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I am excited as hell for this, but I'm also excited as hell to read Fedule's arguments for his editing philosophy.

Asterid
Feb 20, 2012

Oh boy it's finally here. I've been waiting for this thread since the day SDR2 came out. Also:

Hello favourite character (design-wise).

Asterid fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 11, 2012

Apple Cider
Jan 30, 2009

That was messed up and feminist.
I don't think it is entirely off to wall to speculate that this is some post-aftermath "torture all of DR1's" offspring with the exception of Fat Togami, who prospered or something.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

slowbeef posted:

Every time I look at that character all I can think of is Eridan.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

All of these ridiculous character designs, god drat.

Everyone is dead.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HGH posted:

...What exactly is up with her mouth? Is she whistling?

That's the same kind of cutesy duckface Junko was making, wasn't it?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Time to guess what SHSL types they are:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

One thing I will say about the character design so far - it's a lot more obvious they used Maizono as a base model, there are like three characters who look remarkably like her.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
:allears:

I'm so excited about this!

And uh that pink bunny thing (Usami wasn't it?) sure is something.

I think the Chef guy would be the first to die, or just won't stick around till the end (provided that there will be a group that makes it till the end and not just one guy left standing).

Fatogami is hilarious and the red eyes chick is my current favorite.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

slowbeef posted:

I just wanted to say thank you slowbeef for this.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Time to guess what SHSL types they are:

Not sure where you're getting nurse from.

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.
Oh my word all these character designs I instantly love. Though aside from Fatogami and the hoodie guy (and I guess that girl who has Kirigiri-esque hair), I don't really see the similarities too much.
Actually funnily enough those were the two characters I'd already seen. Fatogami from a glimpse at a promo video before I decided it was best not to, and the other from a tumblr post my friend reblogged.

This girl I instantly love in the same way I did Celes.
Though actually the only designs I'm not too fond of are the chef's and Fatogami's, though I get the feeling they're going to grow on me.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bow in the hair girl and/or bandage girl are the first to go, calling it now.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think we all knew that Togami would make it big.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh my gosh, this thread made my morning. :neckbeard:

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think we all knew that Togami would make it big.
I'm surprised he returned to Hope's Peak. Dude must be a glutton for punishment.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Check her hairpieces. Is that supposed to look like the new rabbit character?

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Check her hairpieces. Is that supposed to look like the new rabbit character?

those are very clearly cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, Orenronen, be my multilingual Valentine. :syoon:

I fear that Bandage Girl is a cutter; my hope is that she's a nurse who practices bandaging on herself. (That pinafore could be an old-fashioned Candy Striper-like thing.) drat, that not-Pillsbury Dough Boy is terrifying.

• Locked thread