Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanqol posted:

Uh, wow, did Togami let himself go in between games or what?

The filename for that image is even 'togami'. Holy poo poo.

You talk about that and not Super High-School Level Super Hair Nagito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slowbeef posted:

...So the engine block is crushing his leg and/or crotch. That seems like it'd really make him the worst mechanic!

You're misunderstanding. He is so dedicated to his work that he will sacrifice even his leg or his crotch when it is completely unnecessary to do so!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

legoman727 posted:

...And I certainly wasn't expecting a SHSL Princess in the cast, wondering what her deal is.

Considering last game we had a SHSL Heir, this isn't really out there.

Also there is like a 90% chance she's going to murder someone because loving seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lujei Piche posted:

Yeah, I don't see how that line could be anything but a reference to Mukuro. I've always thought that Junko's real reason for killing her sister in the first game was revenge for Mukuro going off to Fenrir without her and the Despair Game just gave her a handy excuse to do it after she'd gotten all the use she could out of her sister.

Junko seemed pretty crushed at the end of the first game, but who knows? Monobear did move after her death, so maybe Junko had it programmed with a separate AI as a backup in case anything happened to her, an AI based off her personality?

It's an anime trope reference because Monobear does that poo poo constantly. It could have a deeper meaning but it really is just probably that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

persistentminiboss posted:

I hope that during the very last trial, Monobear casually mentions that technically they could have still gotten off the island by gathering Hope Shards too, but he's glad they went with the more entertaining option.

Considering the tomogachi thing, I don't actually buy that Hope Shards are going awya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soniaand Gundamall the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I found that what I do with DR0 is wait until maybe 3-4 updates have gone through and then read them in a row. I don't think novels (well-written or not) do well in small chunks and my initial attempts to read it that way made me hate it. I'm still not thrilled with it (not due to translation, it's just not very interesting) but it's a lot easier to read in a larger chunk instead of a smaller one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the basic outline is shaping up to be:

Hanamura is the actual murdering, Nagito had something planned but was beaten by Hanamura doing something unexpected beforehand." I get the feeling Hanamura didn't plan a murder but found himself in a convenient situation for one. If he was under the floorboards it was probably more for something like, say, being a massive pervert. That leaves Nagito as an actual lasting threat without dumping him too early on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kompy posted:

So I just have one theory concerning Nagito after a talk with a friend about it.

He's SHSL Luck, right?

Ergo..

Gladstone Nagito is the best idea ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slowbeef posted:

Sweat drop, yes, but I don't think there was a nosebleed.

I swear I remember Yamada having one when he was going on about his 2D girlfriends or whatever the gently caress but maybe I'm mistaken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just add the SA banners to adblock and move on. It sucks in that it only really hurts the people with legitimate banners who might have gotten clicks off non-blocked people, but nothing else is going to change so complaining about it is kind of pointless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

slowbeef posted:

More on topic, I really, really hope it's not VR.

Also, to be honest, I kinda never really care about the grander story in either DR1 or DR2. I mean, I didn't find the reason behind the murder game particularly satisfying in DR1, and I don't know that it'll be different here. I'm kinda more about the murder mysteries and the dwindling characters. Am I alone there?

I didn't find DR1's reasoning pretty satisfying but at least it wasn't a VR thing which would be one step up from "it was all a ~dream~" to me, unless it was one of those goofy-rear end "you die in the Matrix, you die in reality" things. I have an increasing feeling that it is VR though, if just because people won't shut up about it. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clearly all of the students are alive because the game is an elaborate VR simulation/alien abduction/alien abduction VR simulation and you'll rescue them after defeating the giant Monogoliath that is the game's final boss. You can talk to everyone in the spaceship you stole from the evil Monoemperor.

Except Nanami, she's actually a robot/AI/robot AI sent to play video games and be marketable and thus is forced to inhabit a Monobear robot to interact in the real world.

... Basically I just want DR2 to turn out to be Saint's Row 4. Is that so bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThirdEmperor posted:

I don't get why people think Gundam is a harmless goof. His 'conquer the world' shtick is pretty worrying, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to kill someone before the end.

Because he plans to conquer the world with four adorable hamsters. It is actually less threatening than if he planned to conquer the world under his own power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The guy who does Mickey Mouse in KH is the guy who does Mickey Mouse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Delta Green posted:

You know what would be an extremely disturbing, if completely not fitting, voice for Monobear?

Peter Cullen.

It wouldn't fit the character at all, but imagine hearing some of those lines as spoken by Optimus Prime. I think it would match the dissonance of having the voice actress for Doraemon in terms of "The voice of a good guy, the words and acts of a monster" for Anglo-Saxon audiences.

Most people who know Peter Cullen's Optimus Prime these days know him for shouting "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" and executing prisoners. It would not be remotely jarring for any of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slowbeef posted:

Yeah, yeah, I mean to each their own. But to underscore, the point I'm making isn't "DR1 > SDR2," it's: "Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is turning off a bunch of Dangan Ronpa fans and I think this is why."

I'm not thrilled with SDR2 so far but I recently got finished playing through DR1 for a review thing and it's really a really cartoony and silly game. The characters are inanely exaggerated for the most part. I think it eased you into the silliness a bit better but it was shameless about it's silliness, right down to having a character yell about how he was less silly in earlier chapters because his personality hadn't been fully defined yet. Upon actually playing it myself it felt like Phoenix Wright or Ghost Trick to me. occasionally delving into gruesome or terrible things but doing so in a ridiculous cartoony way.

What turns me off about SDR2 so far is that I just don't really like the characters much. They're mostly pretty boring or flat-out unlikable. I liked the cast for the most part in DR1 but in DR2 so far I... think Sonia is amusing? And Hinata is less boring than Nagei? That's about it. It also doesn't help that we know what the deal is with the world now and so there is fairly little mystery there. (And I think that is what sparks a lot of the "it's probably VR" discussion.)

The game is also a bit worse about giving clues out, I've noticed. The first game provided dripfeeds of hints on a near-regular basis. There just seems to be a lot less in DR2 and what few hints we've gotten are really suggesting that it's either some kind of VR/simulation/whatever or something insane like time travel/being kidnapped by aliens/whatever sort of thing. Either way there's relatively little in the way of development for the world and so the characters have to carry it a lot harder, but they're really not pulling their weight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

In this game, any notice with a Monobear logo on it has got to be important.

Everything on the blackboards in the original game was complete bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

Maybe you should leave the medical decisions to the medical professionals. And Mikan's professional prescription is that Hinata needs crazy smooches!

It's the only way!

That entire scene has been redeemed forever by this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seriously Safe posted:

Sorry if I seem stupid for asking, but what exactly is wrong with Hinata going to prep school?

The implication appears to be that prep school is where the losers who are not Super High School Level go but I may be misunderstnading.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really get the feeling there's something up with DR2 Togami. Like we're obviously supposed to go "HE'S TOGAMI" but that seems too simple. I'd say "maybe he's like Super High School Level Identity Thief" but if so he's pretty bad at it considering he's twice the weight and the exact opposite personality. I really doubt he is/was the actual Togami in any case though. If the goofy VR theory is true then he'd be a likely bet for "totally not actually a real person" but that still doesn't really explain the drastic change in looks without a change in name.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp. That hair means it could only be one person. Sucks for you, Ibuki.

Super High-School Level Nurse is lookin' pretty drat suspicious this chapter. If she isn't the murderer she's going to be the red herring.

Edit: Also maybe I'm missing it but it looks like the person hanging themselves doesn't have the hair sticking out like the victim (It's Ibuki, come on, literally nobody else has hair like that) does. So it's probably not actual suicide.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, Mikan definitely looks suspicious, but those scenes where she was sleeping on top of Hinata have to be important somehow. I just can't for the life of me figure out where they might fit in to any possible murder schemes.

Her being there caused Hinata to wake up early (prior to the announcement) and thus had him be in position to view the footage. So if the footage is faked in some way (which of course it is, this is a murder mystery), her being there and getting Hinata up at that point sets a concrete "time of death" that wouldn't exist otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Although, if we're meant to notice that the person climbing the ladder doesn't have long hair, then it would seem that Mikan either had an accomplice or it wasn't her - her hair wouldn't exactly fit under that bag either.

That's true.

On the other hand she's been spending a lot of time with Nagito, who is wearing a similar kind of outfit, has short hair, and all we really have to go off of him still having Despair Fever is the way he's acting (and I guess the spiral pupils). And he's the dude who has said he'd willingly help anyone out. So if there is an accomplice in this situation...

It seems pretty convoluted though especially when, if it is faked, she could just use herself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bean posted:

Are we totally sure that's hair and not a shadow? 'Cause I could see Owari hanging herself. ... but I doubt they would do a suicide twice, so who knows.

I can't see Monomi on the bag.

If you watch the video it is super-clearly hair.

Apollove posted:

Celes' dumb plan back in DR1 was super convoluted, it's not like convoluted plans are new or something.

Very true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Addict posted:

I think the biggest question is why televise it like that? If you wanted to get away as cleanly as possible, just tell her to go hang herself/jump off a cliff in the remotest part of the island. As far away from clues as possible.

It's pretty likely Ibuki did not actually commit suicide. Unless we get a Monobear File that specifically lists cause-of-death we've been depending on SHSL Nurse to actually provide cause-of-death so she could basically say whatever the hell she wanted. She could have been poisoned and the hanging is used to cover that up or strangled and the hanging is used to disguise the marks or whatever. Maybe she even died of Despair Fever and it counts as being Mikan's fault because she somehow administrated improper care.

And if you televise it you provide a misconception. A) Ibuki killed herself. B) She killed herself at that specific time, when Mikan (and a few others) were in the hospital and thus could not have been involved.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If there is another murder it feels like it'd probably be SHSL Coach (who is MIA and probably has to return for the trial otherwise) or Saionji who IIRC mentioned as being hiding in her room and not coming out. Maybe Kuzuryuu but it feels unlikely he'd die so soon after his giant personality swap and surviving an attempted murder.

If we don't get a double murder this chapter it's almost certainly gonna happen next chapter since I doubt they'd pass up the chance to do that again.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, no doubt who the murderer is now. Could you be more suspicious Mikan?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Umm how did she lock the door behind Hinata pop up and tie Saionji's somehow in the music clubs body. Then come to the rest of the group from the Hospital and help them knock the door down when that one door was the only way into the music club.

She is suspicious about the Ibuki thing and could have easily killed Ibuki if that recording was not live or if she just told Ibuki to hang herself. But I don't see how she could have killed Saionji or done all that stuff with the body.

Presumably the same way anyone else could have except she was the one offscreen while it was happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Any guesses on how she pulled off stringing up Saionji in a locked room while with someone else on another part of the island? She obviously didn't need to have killed Saionji just this morning, but I'm not sure how she arranges the body like that without an accomplice. And what about motive, if we assume she killed Mioda? Killing Saionji's obvious, Saionji was always a little devil to her and multiple people predicted that Mikan would snap on her, but have Mikan and Mioda ever even spoken to each other on screen?

...I wonder if we've got more than one live murderer on the island right now.

She wasn't with someone else. They split up to look for Ibuki.

There are others offscreen but none as suspicious as she is taken with the earlier murder.

I've got no idea of the motive though. I'm just looking at the clues as presented.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

In the hospital then Hinata got the Music Club first then Mikan somehow teleported in the building and back to string up Saionji. (Who was in the motel that Mikan was not allowed in) She seriously needs an accomplice if she did this or there has to be a 2nd murderer.

It isn't teleporting. She was out 'looking for Ibuki.' We don't know how she got the body there but literally anyone who got the body there would need to explain it so that isn't a point against her.

Basically however the body got there, it got there with nobody seeing it which means it probably wasn't carried there in the middle of the day while everyone was running around. Either she was murdered earlier and her body hidden (which doesn't explain why it wasn't strung up when Hinata got there) or she was literally just murdered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok but she would need super speed and another entrance to the music club.

The entrance was unlocked. It was only locked after Hinata left.

MonsterEnvy posted:

After coming out he met Gundam and Nanami and found the door was locked.

Right. He went running away from the club which is the period in which Saionji's body was positioned and the door locked. Literally anyone not onscreen could have done it during this moment, no super speed necessary. (Aside from the usual plot-speed Dangan Ronpa uses. See also: Chapter 3 in DR1)

MonsterEnvy posted:

then Kuzuryuu and Mikan showed up having met earlier

You need to reread the scene. Mikan showed up and then Kuzuryuu showed up from the opposite direction. They were not together.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes but he got there before she did. Left then she arrived at the scene from a different area. She could not have gotten into the building in this small amount of time while she was somewhere else while other people were in front of the entrance.

They were not in front of the entrance. Reread the chapter again. Hinata ran to the motel. That's away from the murder location. (It's closer than the hospital which is why he went there.)

Edit: I mean regardless of who did it, they did it in the time period between Hinata leaving the Titty Twister and when they got back unless there actually is a secret door or something. No matter who we're discussing they did it in the same time frame.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bobulus posted:

...huh. I'm very confused why the killer set things up this way. Think about it. If both bodies had been there from the get-go, the killer could have planted evidence that Ibuki killed Saionji and then killed herself. With Ibuki dead and having no way to defend herself in Court, it would be much easier for the killer to get away with it.

I've got a theory about it but I donno how much is guesswork.

If we're assuming the video was faked and that Saionji wasn't literally just murdered, it was probably faked before Saionji's murder specifically to cover up Ibuki's murder. From here there are two real options.

A) Saionji was the murderer. The 'real' murderer killed her but used the tape she already filmed to set up an alibi for the Saionji murder.

This would take heat off Mikan because it would mean basically anyone could be the real murderer and the real mystery of the chapter is "who killed Saionji" and not "Who killed both of them?"

B) Saionji happened across the murderer as they were hiding the body. She was killed but there wasn't time for the murderer to set up a second alibi. By hiding Saionji's body until Hinata had already discovered the first body and then stringing it up they set up the illusion Saionji had been murdered more recently.

The latter would also explain why Mikan gets Hinata up early. Since it is prior to Monobear Wakeup everyone else would be asleep and thus if she stages the body finding Hinata will be the only one to find it and would have to rush off to get help, giving her time to set up the second crime scene. Nobody else is really in position to manipulate Hinata like that.

This is all assuming that a certain SHSL Lucky rear end in a top hat isn't faking his Fever in order to assist the murderer of course, which makes a lot of the things easier to explain. (But also casts a lot of suspicion on Mikan again because she's been spending a bunch of time with him.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

Wouldn't the monobear report eliminate the effectiveness of disguising the cause of death?

Nope. The Monobear reports have been fairly slim this game. We've been depending on the nurse to give us accurate info.

It has been giving us the time of death which might make it suspicious if we don't get a time-of-death this time because in the previous game Monobear would hide info if it made the case too easy to solve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

How do you spin "her throat was cut and she bled out" to make it sound like it could be a different kind of muder?

"She died from injury to the neck" could be a good one, but to be honest if there is any spin I expect it to be for Ibuki considering the whole hanging thing. If there's no cause of death mentioned though that'd be suspicious for either one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp. No time of death. Also fairly unclear information, especially on Ibuki.

They also appear to be hinting that either Saionji or Ibuki's death wasn't in the killer's plans. Probably Saionji because she was obviously murdered while Ibuki looked like a suicide.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saionji was almost certainly killed second because her murder was obvious. Ibuki is all set up to be a mystery and possibly faked and maybe she killed herself and Hinata saw 'her' hanging herself and so-on. Saionji just had her throat slit, bled out, and was tied to a wall. The latter implies a lot less planning and forethought.

Either she killed Ibuki and then was killed herself or she saw Ibuki's murder and was killed to hide it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

And that's kind of sad. :smith: Poor Monomi really wants to be friends, even if nobody but Sonia is nice to her.

Considering that he was shot with a rocket he's probably going to come back as a brain in a jar or a beeping wheelchair or something and Monomi's going to be like "what, see, he's still alive! I helped!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knicknevin posted:

Maybe I just want this case to really broadside me since the last two were a bit too easy for the collective to figure out.

Well, that's the thing. DR cases are not hugely complex because they're not designed to be played over a period of weeks/months by huge groups of people. They're designed for a single person to play quickly (and with action elements in the trial segments which encourage quick "gotcha" answers instead of slow-paced logical thinking because you have to aim-and-shoot with a time limit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dias posted:

...Mikan is going to push for the suicide thing and figuratively hang herself in the trial, isn't she? God, I hope it's not that.

The fact that the time of death isn't listed and the cause of death is so unclear is basically setting up for her to lie, yeah, and the second she makes an obvious lie in the second we can eliminate any doubt she was the killer.

• Locked thread