Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.

I've actually seen a few people already commenting on how they're probably only really going to be reading the OP's posts and skipping the rest of the thread. Hell, I was off-and-on with reading the last thread myself and 11 loving pages in less than a day is kind of sickening.

Still, I'm extremely excited for more of this game.

Edit: At this point, I have no real idea what to do to fix it though. I mean, one update in is there really enough to keep seriously talking about? And yet, is it not a little early to lock the thread too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: Isn't Hinata supposed to be a girl's name in Japan? Because I'm totally getting flashbacks to Naruto, and it's not painting a positive picture on our "hero".

If I recall right, it's actually more commonly a boy's name. I've seen more male Hinata in anime than female, by far.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

Queued up some more people for low content posts. No cares about avatars you want, stop congratulating someone on just posting a loving thread and stop speculating on the entire game's plot, we are two loving updates in.

edit: And yes, we know someone is gonna die in a murder mystery plot! Stop just guessing who it could be!

I think because you seemed to take something of a hands-off approach in the last thread, while being very active in posting, people have lost the fear of god. I'm really glad I'm not the only one noticing all the low content posts. This thread has a lot of potential, frankly even more than the last now that orenronen seems more comfortable in his role, and especially with the translation and editor's notes. Reminds me of your Policenauts LP in that regard, too.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Personally, it seems to me like Usami's supposed to be a little annoying. You're not supposed to actually find her manner of speech endearing or cute, you're supposed to find it annoying and a little off-putting in context of the situation.

That said, I'm not actually all that bothered by it for the most part and will be fine with it either way. Just my opinion on the character, she's supposed to irritate you a little bit.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

flatluigi posted:

I like that change, Fedule, though honestly I'm suddenly missing her dropping into that every line. :v:

I kinda think it's a little too light on the cutesy, but if everyone likes it then I'm not going to throw any kind of fit.

I get the feeling that since they're trying to keep in the verbal tic it plays some kind of role in something later on. Probably with her dropping it for a scary-serious voice at some point, which would mean that making the change more obviously conscious could ruin that a little.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

loquacius posted:

Uh. Doesn't she speak with an affectedly childish speech impediment in the original Japanese text too? I think the idea of giving her condescending kindergarten-teacher diction is kinda cool, and I can get behind scaling back the withp a little bit, but I think cutting it out entirely would mean losing something from the character.

This is my problem with it. She's supposed to sound childish, that Japanese mascots sound childish where as American/English ones don't is beside the point. Hell, given that the tic is present for every single one of her sentences in Japanese Fedule is arguably already toning it down by not hammering a 'w' into every one of the sentences in his version.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fedule posted:

Put it this way: In Japanese, you can insult people with grammar in a single sentence. To do the equivalent in English requires at least a short conversation. It is inevitable that details - like first-person pronouns - will get lost in translation because they just don't exist in English. So something needs to be added to compensate.

As I see it, the "intent" at any given point is less a matter of specifics about speaking style and word choice and more about establishing things - in this case, we're establishing characters (later we'll be establishing facts pertinent to a murder (which may include more characterization)). So, in the first half of that update, the intent is to convey that:
  • Hinata is confused and irritable
  • Nagito is well-meaning but a little overbearing
  • Nagito is awfully familiar seeming, isn't he?
  • Nagito is accepting but Hinata is skeptical

Everything else is just details, really. This is the stuff that should be getting across to you in the script, without having to read any of the notes.

This all came across in the update. I see no value in putting translation and editing notes about how Hinata or Nagito or whoever is speaking right after they speak. That's absolutely silly and no competently written piece of work, translation or otherwise, should ever do that. If people aren't able to grasp how the characters are behaving from the updates, then the problem lies in their reading comprehension and not the writing.

I'm sorry if that's harsh, and I don't mean it as an attack on anyone in particular, I'm just enjoying this LP so far and the care that's very obviously going into it and all the bitching that feels like it amounts to "GOD SAVE THE GLORIOUS NIPPONESE!" bugs me. If slowbeef feels I'm speaking out of turn, I'll gladly accept a probation in support of my statements.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I agree with this statement. While the discussions that Oren and Fedule are posting are themselves interesting, the last thing I want to read is a thread constantly turning to a discussion about translation.

This is more or less the core of my complaint, I think. I absolutely love the notes from oren and Fedule, and don't want them to go away, but everybody bitching about the translation or bitching about the bitching is going to get trying very quick.

Unfortunately I see no middle ground, and I appreciate that oren and Fedule like and want the live feedback on their process. So...Uh...

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The_White_Crane posted:

That's actually quite a good idea; perhaps put the translation notes at the end of each chapter?
Because I agree, I think that if you moved them out so they weren't immediately after the actual scene, we'd see less nitpicking and endless circular arguments about the translation.

slowbeef posted:

Why don't we shelve the conversation until we get another update and can point to specific aspects of the updates? We can argue abstractly about transliteration vs. localization for at least 100 more pages and get nowhere.

These are both very good ideas, and on the latter note I'll quietly bow out and go back to lurking and/or waiting for the next update eagerly.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Oh, Nekomaru. You're everything I hoped you would be. Now you just need to make cat puns, and I can die happy.

Interesting that there's an actual gangster. Wonder if he'll fill the same general role as Togami, in being someone you expect to snap and murderfy but never does?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What does "Mirai" mean, and why is it unusual for a Japanese hotel to have a Japanese name?

I love lightning-eyebrows. He and corncob-hair should have beautiful anime babies.

To expand on it, it's not unusual for a Japanese hotel to have a Japanese name, but I imagine it is unusual for a Japanese hotel that has the word "Hotel" in English to then have a Japanese name.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

pumpinglemma posted:

Should this be "subconscious mind" or something?

No. Unconscious is the appropriate term, though "unconsciousness" does sound a little off. Unconscious mind would be, I guess most accurate.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

What spoiled content?

You missed your quoting of the first guy what brought it up, just as a head's up.

On-topic, you know what's great? Dangan Ronpa 2 and Zero. Man, those are fantastic. I can't wait to see what happens next. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been upset to see an update since the first thread. Don't think I ever thanked orenronen for it before, but you (and now Fedule) do great work and I'm just sorry I didn't pay attention sooner. Keep on keepin' on, ya crazy bastards.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

orenronen posted:

Wasn't my doing.

And now I'm wondering if this is too much of a spoiler for people still reading the DR1 thread.

It's technically a spoiler, but I think if I'd seen that while reading through DR1 I'd just be confused as to what the hell was going to happen to Togami.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

orenronen posted:

BULLETS CANNOT PIERCE SPIRIT!

Yep. Nidai is officially my favorite character now. Goddamn.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I hate to repost this image, but why has nobody mentioned the wires around her legs? It looks like somebody pulled her over.

I think that's the point, that she managed to somehow trip so hard that she tied herself up in wires and managed to kick off both a shoe and sock. She might also be a SHSL Klutz.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Yes it really is. I wonder if the first game sold particularly well to the creepy nerd demographic or something, because it sure seems like they're pandering to it in this game.

I just hope this is a bit of a blip and the game will cut it out soon.

I want to say that oren said the game stays fairly consistently fanservice-y throughout, with I think one or two moments that are pretty extreme. So I'd say this is probably about the baseline we should expect, with a few blips of "OH GOD WHY!?" to come.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fedule posted:

I don't know exactly what aspect of "if it hasn't come up in the thread, don't discuss it or even mention it (paraphrased)" in conjunction with "absolutely no spoilers (very much not paraphrased)" is not self explanatory.

The work you and oren do in this thread honestly make me proud to be a part of the same community and happy to witness the dedication that goes into this project.

Then there's other parts of the thread that make me deeply, deeply ashamed on a basic human level.

That said, I'm actually really enjoying DR/Z. I've never really read any Japanese light novels, and I'm not sure I'm inspired to seek out more, but I am really liking how things are progressing in it so far. It's interesting in that it doesn't seem to even remotely follow the same setup as the games, and with DR2 already being a fair bit different from the first game it makes for an even better contrast. I'm always very eager for more, and with that said I go back to watching quietly from the shadows.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

enterthemirror posted:

That's what's in Togami's box.

The only thing that can possibly be in Togami's box is hope. Duh.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

orenronen posted:

I am very disappointed with myself for not managing to grind my teeth and just do them. I'm translating the text for the patch anyway. As I said before - the main issue is how bothersome it is to get to them in the game. I even considered faking the screenshots. Hell, I wouldn't say no if someone offered to do the video capture for me.

That said, I'm definitely plan to complete that LP. It sucks that it's such a pain to do so.

Couldn't you just have the Admiral, or whoever would be doing such things anyway, pull you the images you need directly from the game? Then you can just whip out the updates right quick and be done.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

Responses to things.

gently caress the haters, 'beef. If you're on Something Awful and can't take something being made fun of, you're in the wrong goddamn place. I mean, hell, your format for it was almost directly taken from poo poo that goes up on the front page. I enjoyed it, laughed at parts, and even shared it with people who are actively avoiding the thread because of the creepy/lovely posters.

So yeah, keep on keepin' on and I'll read right along and laugh my rear end off at some lovely roleplayers. Only way I can see to stopping is if oren asks, and even then I'd still like to see more somewhere.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fedule posted:

...I don't know how I feel about that.

What you do ultimately contributes to greater enjoyment for a wider group of people, and likely helps oren quite a bit and thus streamlines the process some. As a result, what you do is innately better than what they're doing.

Far as I'm concerned, you should be proud of what you and oren are doing. Not something just anyone can do, and do well.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jeek posted:

Not really. Both Sakura and Kirigiri noticed some unspecified changes in their bodies - it's just that the rest of the crew are too dense to note that.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the pictures of everyone hanging out together and looking the same. Which is probably mostly a video game thing, and likely wasn't thought out too well. Even an adult might notice a change in their bodies if they suddenly woke up minus two years of their lives.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

lotus circle posted:

Kyouko is her first name and Kirigiri is the family name. And the novel does differentiate between them by calling her Kyouko and her father just Kirigiri. But yes, this is the same Kyouko Kirigiri from DR1, as DR0 is set periodically before the first game, but is written with the assumption that you know DR1 given the release dates.

I'll admit it threw me for a minute too, and I think calling her father Kirigiri might have to do with it being seen as improper to refer to an elder by their first name in Japanese or something, but I realized pretty quickly that SHSL-Detective was always Kyouko and her pappy was always Kirigiri it was simple to follow from there.

All told I'm honestly liking DR0. I think when it's all finished I might go back and reread it in one sitting, as I suspect it might flow better like that.

Edit: gently caress, beaten. By a drat sand-hippo too.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

jam730 posted:

...why do i feel like something odd about komaeda has a link to the DR 0 where the school committee tried to hide a student who was the epitome of hope...and ended up slaughtering a whole classroom?

My theory is that the epitome of hope in DR/0 was that year's Super High-School Level Hope, and that like with Despair there's just more than one of them. I'm not sure if Komaeda is supposed to be a (broken) SHSL Hope himself, seperate from Naegi and the DR/0 guy, or if he's got some connection to the other two, or what. Given the dude in DR/0 (I should really look up his name) apparently killed a bunch of people, perhaps out of some misguided sense of hope, maybe he is Komaeda? That kind of despair-inducing hope appearing in DR2 would be interesting.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

likecnsnnts posted:

I don't know why, but seeing the words "uncontrollable sexual desire" floating over that kid's head made me giggle, so...

New av?

Oh man, that's great. Though him eating the bread with that as the text might be even better.

Also, looking at those pictures again, is...Is Kamishiro sporting wood? Please just tell me it's a trick of the light or position. :gonk:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

RJWaters2 posted:

You tell me?

Uncontrollable sexual desire

Oh god, why!? :gonk:

likecnsnnts posted:

^^^ edit: oh my god it moves! ^^^

See, there it seems more like a joke on what is otherwise an innocent looking kid eating some bread.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArcadeBumstead posted:

Pekoyama's reaction when she overheard someone talking about serial killers has me suspicious. I wonder if her straight laced attitude is a cover for a hobby as a masked vigilante.

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but I'm actually wondering if Peko Pekoyama isn't secretly Kira Kirayama. Her reaction definitely seemed a little off, she certainly would have the skills to murder the gently caress out whoever she wanted, and she even already has a repeating name! That's at least going to be my personal theory until proven incorrect.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Alien Arcana posted:

Sounds plausible enough. I'm leaning toward Souda myself, partly for the shark grin but mainly because the irony is kind of hilarious.

I'm also just a tiny bit suspicious of Koizumi. She's too normal.

Souda seems too obvious because of that shark grin. Koizumi could go either way, I guess. I think with Peko part of the spin on it comes from her looking like the same kind of Noble Warrior archetype that Sakura was only to then turn out to be a serial killer. Especially if she's all "hero of justice" about it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Valkama posted:

I'm getting this vibe that Hinata is going to wind up being the traitor in the end. Actually at the very beginning of the game Hinata says, "To tell you the truth, the circumstances in my case are slightly unusual. ...But that's a story for another time. Honestly, I don't think it's such a big deal. You'll find out for yourselves soon enough." Perhaps his unusual circumstances are he's becoming a mole for the world destroys or something along those lines.

I'm almost certain he's the traitor. He doesn't remember much about himself, including his ability, and I really find it unlikely that they'd pull the same stunt twice in a row. I think it's more likely that he doesn't have an ability at all and is infiltrating (or was supposed to) the island on behalf of the World Destroyers/SHSL-Despair. It seems more interesting to me, anyway, if the World Destroyers are a group of non-special people who decided to destroy a world that holds up SHSL people so high above everyone else. Though they were probably motivated by Junko/SHSL-Despair anyway because that seems like something she'd/they'd do.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Bifauxnen posted:

They should just punish Komaeda by making him test out the passwords to open the door. If his SHSL Good Luck actually works, he gets the door open! If not, he gets himself shot to death! He'd be totally willing to do it too.

...That's actually a really good idea. I'm kind of sad that I really doubt the game's going to do that now. Though I'd also expect Monobear to pop up, if it was suggested, and note that whoever tells Komaeda to do that would count as his killer for the purposes of a trial.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Upuu Tube is the best part of this. You are a good person.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but that gets removed once a year whenever you're banned.

So don't get banned, then?

Looking at the ads myself, they're nowhere near as bad as the ones for DR1 which do pretty bluntly spoil every major twist and death. There's six ads and they read more like speculation than anything, and even if accurate would only really spoil the very end of the game.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thevoiceofdog posted:

Here is a thing I (and a bunch of other cool people) made for the thread. Enjoy!

Part two is coming soon!

You're a good dog, a good dog.

I think my favorite was slowbeef's.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thevoiceofdog posted:

It's that time again!

This closes out the series. Thanks for watching everyone!

Did you ever know that you are my hero?

Seriously, these were both absolutely brilliant and a big kudos to everyone involved.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TheKingofSprings posted:

What? It's what they think it is anyways. V:v:V

You know, if you look at it that way, it probably does seem kind of stupid that there even is a paywall. If they really do just think it's a forum about Dangan Ronpa, and nothing else, it'd be kind of crazy to charge anything to post let alone ten bucks.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I'm overall pretty satisfied with that. My only real complaint is keeping "Monokuma", but that's probably mostly a result of getting used to Monobear in the LP. Some of the voice acting isn't quite amazing, but it sounds workable.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

BottledBacon posted:

Wow, so Monobear is voiced by Zero the Third from VLR.

According to Wikipedia, bastion of accuracy, he is not. He's voiced by Brian Beacock who is a decently talented voice actor and probably the best of the bunch Wikipedia lists.

Amusing note, based off that same list? Yamada's voiced by the guy who did Blue in the recent Pokemon: Origins dub.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rather interesting that they have the people who make the Disgaea games as the localization theme.

I guess that means they won't censor too much in terms of jokes and content.

Censorship hasn't exactly been a major concern in localization for quite some time.

Honestly, while it would have been nice for them to get some big name voice actors, it's not like this is exactly a major property in the West nor is there any reason to expect it to blow up big once it releases. Even if you assume the entire tumblr crowd picks it up, it's still going to be a better bet on the first game to go cheap to make as much back on it as you can. Now, if it does really well and they bring over DR2 there's a way better chance of us seeing a better overall quality of voice actor hired but I probably wouldn't hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zyla posted:

Looks like monobear should be on trial for murder...again

You know, it'd actually be kind of interesting if that happened. Monobear actually can't weasel his way out of this killing and, following his own rules, goes on trial for murder. Given everybody saw it, it wouldn't take long to do him in. And then you have either whoever was controlling him step out from the shadows in a direct way. And, thinking about it (this is all mostly coming stream of consciousness, so if it doesn't make sense that's why) but if this game does turn out to be set in a virtual reality Monobear could actually be an AI and thus could be considered separate from whoever is controlling him for the purposes of a trial. Monobear the AI gets offed, and the controller steps into the light. Seems kind of early for that, but who knows?

• Locked thread