Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's Makoto Naegi!'s hair is wonderful and I love it.

On a fanart note, a lurker friend of mine urged me to post this thing he made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

persistentminiboss posted:

So how long do you guys think Togami's going to last, being a returning champion of sorts this time around? Think he can pull his weight enough to make it through two rounds of this?

They're going to make this a running gag in the Dangan Ronpa series. Byakuya Togami is going to show up in every game and never die, ever.

On that note, I bet he's going to show up in Zero, too. Just a hunch.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I am going to take Nagito completely as he says he is until further notice because he seems pretty alright. If a child of mine brought that guy home I'd be perfectly satisfied.

Then again that's what people said about Ted Bundy, so :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So, is that naming scheme, where it's a word with one capitalized letter at the end, just a Hamster Thing in Japan? Because this is the second time I've seen it in relation to hamsters.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bifauxnen posted:

I was thinking about this as well. I think it would still be a nice twist to bring in a hidden student in this game, since they're making it look like they're avoiding it this time by having 16 students right off the bat. And this time maybe we could actually interact with the 16th student instead of having them revealed as a dead body.

Interact with the 16th student? Naegi gave her an OOPart. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

pun pundit posted:

I think that either Togami will not survive for very long in the game, or Hinata does not possess a SHSL talent. This is entirely for meta reasons, but only working off the information presented in the updates. To whit,

This would be inconsistent if you could have your first free time event with Togami after Hinata has discovered his SHSL talent. The other option is that Hinata has no SHSL talent, in which case this statement of his would be hiding the truth rather than being an inconsistency.

Or Hinata's theoretical SHSL talent could be revealed after you can no longer spend time with people/specifically Togami.

See: Kirigiri.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

I think we talked about fujoshi in the DR1 thread some specifically because it's a distinctly Japanese thing with no real direct meanings in English. Basically, it's someone who becomes a hermit, rarely if ever leaving their room, as a response to the immense and pervasive societal pressures of succeeding that Japanese culture instills, if I recall.

That's hikikomori, Kyle.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

We've been through this a million times; No, it's as obvious to the Japanese people as it is to us. The first game was simply not good at writing mysteries.

I thought Chapter 2 was a pretty good mystery. :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hey, so I went and got the OST for this one too. Since this time around we aren't getting the trial songs at all because of those pesky videos (please don't stop doing the videos,) I figured I'd post them because if you're like me, you're gonna want these. Luckily, this time the OST was mostly in Japanese, so while on one hand I had to piece these titles together, on the other hand it's not gonna spoil me for the Chapter 5 executions or something.

edit by slowbeef: Soundtrack's available on Amazon, so please don't share files. I understand it's confusing regarding video game soundtracks not available in US/Europe, so I'm just editing out the links.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 15, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sorry about that, then. It won't happen again.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Having the SHSL Hope right there smack-dab at the start strikes me as jumping the gun a bit.

Edit: Also the name Sinclair doesn't have an e on the end, you Tumblr-born mongoloids

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 19, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Once the first volume in done (which is pretty soon), I'll probably assemble a PDF/epub version myself, including some more edits and tweaks to the text.

How many volumes are there?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And here we see Nagito's fickle side. I can't wait for the at least three minutes of "Wait I take that evidence back!" when the culprit is unmasked. If it's not him, I mean. And I don't think it is.

I might just be smitten, though. This guy's fantastic. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah, this probably isn't a murder culprit choice. We just need to help Mr. Indecisive actually decide that "oh yeah, I could have followed the lamp cord! Thanks for clearing that up guys." before we actually crack down the law on the culprit.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

His flip-flopping in attitude and tone kindof reminds me of Junko in the 6th trial of DR. I think it would make sense if Nagito is Naegi having undergone an Ishida style fusion with Junko (which would explain why he can induce both hope and despair in the other students so easily), but I don't have a huge amount of evidence to back that up at the moment.

If this is true, I hope that a later case feature Nagito's logically extensive knowledge of women's fashion be pivotal to the case (in a non-crossdressing way I mean.)

I hope it's not because Nagito as he is is my favorite character and having him just be The 13 Ghosts of Enoshima would cheapen his special brand of crazy for me a bit.

Edit: You could say that this hope might cause me to despair later.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ApeHawk posted:

Guys, it's the tutorial trial.

The game is heavily pointing on Nagito.

Boom, mystery solved.

I'm pretty sure that it's already been proven in the thread that it's a lot less likely for this to have physically been the case than for someone who may or may not be a chef (not saying names here) to have done it from under the floorboards somehow.

This is actually more true in my mind because Nagito corroborated about Gundam's earring immediately pre-trial. Despite being a crazy guy, Nagito hasn't actually lied about any details of the crime so far that I can recall- just maybe about who he is. The fact that he felt the need to point it out to Hinata says to me that it (that is to say, Gundam managed to get under the floorboards) is actually something that he discovered at the same time as Hinata. That seems to me like Nagito didn't actually know about the mysterious way underneath the floorboards, which is probably where the skewer stabbed Togami from.

I guess it'll have to wait until Gundam decides to enlighten the class on how he managed to get under there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can't breathe. I am actually having an asthma attack I am laughing so hard. Komaeda is the best character in this game. Please never die.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

getitoffgetitoff posted:

How can we vote him in if he's gonna be executed in the next update? :confused:

Why would Monobear execute someone who hasn't killed anybody?

Edit: I mean, certainly, this episode makes it incredibly likely that Nagito was planning something, but there's still a whole lot of evidence that points towards Hanamura having actually been the one to kill Togami for some reason or another. Moreso than, I think, Nagito's circumstantial being completely loopy does.

Also if Nagito is the killer then Gundam's earring means absolutely nothing.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 23, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Phelddagrif posted:

I know the Phoenix Wright games used every piece of evidence, but did DR1? I seem to recall there being some evidence in the last pair of cases that wasn't used, like the giant plant and the chickens, though I could be misremembering.

Basically the only evidence that wasn't used in the last pair of DR1's cases was the headmaster's photo. The giant plant was used to dispose of the body and the chickens I believe were used as a blood substitution?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The twist there is that Nagito initiates the Hope Shard retrieval there by just standing at Hinata's cottage and staring at it with his crazy hopespair eyes all night. Hinata is mildly weirded out but it's a very strong bonding experience for the two of them.

In the last event he knocks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was reminded of Junko's spinning eyes in her big breakdown from the last game, and it kinda lead to this...

It's like a strobe timer. You could have a sick rave to Nagito's eyes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nagito really doesn't look like he's 65kg. Like, that's not very heavy, but he looks about as strong as a twig. Nidai could probably punch him in half.

Maybe about 10 or 15 of that is the hair.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Wasn't the knife on the bottom of the table?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

This sprite is like :haw: personified and it gets less and less fitting to his voice acting every video.

I don't think this will ever stop being amusing to me.

Edit: And just as I post this it gets even better. That's great, thanks for making it

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 2, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is it just me, or is that Nanami's hair pin in Togami's hair?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Honestly, seeing Hinata run the show during the class trial like this makes me wonder if he's going to die next chapter, forcing us into a different character. :ohdear:

The friendship between Hinata and Nagito is too strong for either of them to ever die. Best buds 5eva.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Anatharon posted:

There's Junko merch, though. :colbert:

Junko does survive to (very nearly) the end of the game. :colbert:

Now, if it's Mukuro merch, that's a different story.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ArcadeBumstead posted:

I don't understand what this is supposed to imply. They used a stove so, uh, it's gotta be the food guy! Also he's short so he can get into the crawlspace even though we have no reason to believe anyone else couldn't fit down there. Also his motive is, uh, Nagito asked him to do it. What am I missing? I tried to re-read it and I'm seeing nothing pointing to Hanamura.

Height is not an issue because Gundam got in there just fine, he just needed the Four Dark Gods of Destruction to find it for him.

Hanamura, being the only one in the kitchen, was the one in the most prime position to actually be using the fire doors. He also happened to be out of sight of the rest of the gang, because he was in the kitchen.

Hanamura speaks close to when the blackout ends in the blackout sequence, which makes sense when you consider that, under Hinata's scenario here, he'd need to spend some time getting to where he'd need to be to murder Togami. This also means that he'd not be there when Mikan tripped, like he'd sort of implied he was by speaking earlier. Being that this is Hanamura, the fact that he didn't say anything about that is kind of damning.

We don't know his motive yet, but we don't really need to know the motive if the facts give all the evidence we need to convict him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MiyokoBlade posted:

And...could Teruteru possibly be from another country? He does know English. I could hear "NONSENSE!" during the Panic Talk Battles.

If we're going off of one word being a tell for knowledge of foreign languages, then Nagito's impassioned diatribe about Hanamura's "FANTASTIC" weapon means he knows English too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Melvino posted:

Although Komaeda scared the gently caress out of me. This has to be relevant later on, because they wouldn't have him go batshit crazy otherwise. I hope he doesn't tag along as our "friend detective" for the whole game.

I hope he stays attached to Hinata's hip for the entire game, personally, because what I most want out of this game is more of his wacky antics. They're "FANTASTIC!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kytrarewn posted:

Shock Ryouko into dropping her notebook as she runs off to warn Matsuda. Alter the notebook. Write in the notebook that she's Junko's kid sister who grew up as a prodigy child soldier who was so good at what she did that she never even got wounded.

All she has to do is to alter the notebook, then get some SHSL Neurosurgeon to correct Ryouko's anterograde amnesia so that she forms a whole new set of childhood memories based on what's written in the notebook.

Suddenly, she's got an unshakable ally to whom she herself owes no bond of loyalty or emotion.

I have no actual objection to your theory, but I hope it's wrong. Ikusaba was my favorite character in DR1 and having her turn out to be, well... Ryouko would put a pretty serious damper on that.

VVV Thanks for having an objection, you're good people.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 12, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Perhaps you should even call me a "Super High-school Level Super High-school Level Fanboy"!

orenronen, a year and a half ago posted:

"[...]"Super High-school Level Fanboy"[...]"

Of course! Nagito isn't Naegi possessed by Junko, he's Naegi possessed by Yamada! It's just like his japanese animes!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

So, I know that he is designed to be misleadingly similar to Naegi and his name is an anagram, yes, yes, we've covered this. There is no e in his last name. It's Nagito. Grant Chunsoft what very little degree of separation they managed.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Hey dumb question, can someone point out where the cast learns they've been at Hope's Peak for a couple years and had their memories erased? I totally forgot that even happened until Hanamura mentioned it last update.

It was what Monobear's manzai comedy show was leading up to.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Serious Frolicking posted:

The fact that the manga has Nagito as its protagonist implies that he survives for quite a while if not to the very end.

The next 16 issues of the publication feature Nagito's adventures in incarceration, guest-starring Souda and Nidai.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Spatula City posted:

Ugh, why do so many people want to spend time with Nagito? Unless he reveals himself to be actually sane, he's as boringly loony as DR0 Junko.

He's loony in a cool guy kind of way. He is also a much better friend than half the weirdos on this island. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Of all the games to reference. :allears: I like you sometimes, Dangan Ronpa.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kay Kessler posted:

I honestly don't understand why anyone would waste one of their votes for a character who is obviously not gonna be available. What, did you think you and Nagito could hang out while he's bound and gagged?

Not only did it not take an action to go check out Nagito's situation, can't I just hope we can hang out with him?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Now, I'm not certain at all that this is an intentional reference, but I find it amusing considering Ibuki's voice actress, Ami Koshimizu, also plays a character in Persona 4 that has an entire plotline revolving around how she makes absolutely terrible, inedible curry rice.

I thought that was all of the female party members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, right, now I remember. All those scenes just kinda blurred together in my memory by virtue of being filler comedy scenes that didn't involve Kanji much.

• Locked thread