Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

yessssssss

The original LP (alternate title, Let's Make Lowtax Mad Bank on New Avatars) was one of the most delightful surprises I've had the pleasure of encountering on these forums. It's very rare these days to find a game you can experience totally blind. One as entertaining as the original Dangan Ronpa is rarer still. The two of you have my sincere appreciation for making this franchise accessible to an English-speaking audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Blastinus posted:

The thing that immediately jumped out at me regarding chef guy is that his facial design is almost exactly like the plant-loving guy from the concept art who never got used in the original game. Not sure where the idea came from that he's going to be the first murderer though. If anything, I'd probably expect it to be one of the more ordinary-looking ones, just to throw everyone off yet again.
People are overthinking the chef's design. Well, all of the designs, really but especially that guy(?). He's meant to resemble a food company mascot. Think Betty Crocker, or something like that.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Naw man, he just got his fill of Junko's home cooking. So she kept her side of the bargain after all!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not ready to declare Gundam my favorite character yet of all time yet, but I'm pleased his specialty is so radically different from his appearance. Makes me hopeful Ibuki and Nekomaru will be equally surprising. Perhaps we'll see an emphasis on more practical SHSL specialties in this game? A lot of the characters in the previous title struck me as awfully odd choices to be singled out for surviving the apocalypse. If we're to assume there are survivors of the first game participating--and the game certainly wants us to assume that--it would be a hilarious 'gently caress You' for them to find out they were the leftovers of the 'real' plan.

"What, you thought we went to all that trouble so the world to comes would have a ready supply of entitled assholes, fortune tellers, and detectives? Nah, we just felt bad you were being left out."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

slowbeef posted:

And while we're here, I bet his cooking loving sucks.

I should spoiler tag all that, because I am on the loving money.
Whoa now, let's not say something we can't take back! If anything, his behavior increases the odds he's a master chef: pop culture taught me they're always raging assholes.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the 'slow burn' thus far. The first game was brand new IP with something to prove, so it was vital they crank up the weird from the word 'Go.' This time around we know where it's going, at least in a general sense. I'm inclined to embrace the sense of creeping dread. (Also it's only been about 10 minutes of actual play time.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They all did it willingly the first time, though. They might do so again, albeit for different reasons which could be literally anything based on what we know.
Or unwillingly, for that matter. We've already established memory shenanigans are possible during the first game. Who's to say the inhabitants of Mono-World didn't imprison them and start mixing stuff around in their heads at the behest of the Great Two-Faced Bear God? Hell, it's potentially both since there are two characters the game clearly WANTS us to associate with the previous cast.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

orenronen posted:

The anties. I'm squashing the anties.
Heeheehee... When you press their bellies in the right spot, they make this great squishy sound!
Feh. Coward.
Isn't cruelty to animals a common trait in sociopaths? Though I don't know if ants count. At least Gundam has a potential rival now. You can't be voiced by Tomokazu Sugita without a rival to get in shouting matches! Meanwhile it looks like we can chalk up Akane under the "well-adjusted" category. Can't say I got a real strong Asahina vibe off her tho'.

I'm not even sure what to think about Togami. But damned if his official art didn't crack me up.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

orenronen posted:

You know what to do. Nevertheless, some notes: First, I will not be completing characters' free time events after each chapter. Not just because (as DR1 proved) it's a pain, but also because the game provides a much better way to get to them after you see the ending. Second, as opposed to DR1, every character here gets the exact same number of scenes. We need our first two characters to make Hope Shards with, so get voting!
Yeah, I was wondering why the thread got 134 new replies in the space of 3 hours. That'll do it!

As far as free time events go, Togami and Nagito are right out. We're not going to find out what's going on with them before the story is good and ready, and we've spent plenty of time with them in the previous game. ...I think. But even among the other 14, it's a tough choice! That said, I wouldn't expect a hidden side this early regardless of who we picked. So I vote for Mahiru Koizumi and Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu because I'd like to get a better handle on their personalities. The others... sorta wear their archetype on their sleeve, you know?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In this chapter, FemTaskmaster awakens to her TRUE and MAXIMALLY ULTIMATE power. Meanwhile Tuxedo Mask battles the Queen of Despair!

Junko is even more draining to read about than she was to watch--all her dialogue has a manic quality that never quite scans properly. I'm also developing a better sense of what makes her 'SHSL Despair.' The personality quirks she assumes and immediately discards are always references/callbacks of some kind or another, and it gives an impression of hollowness. Yamada liked pop-culture references too, but at least he had passion. Junko comes off as this thin skin of trendiness stretched over a yawning void.

There's a lot you could read into that, but there's not much point in speculating this early on.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My understanding is that yakuza hew much closer to the establishment than, say, the Mafia or the Mexican cartels. You never hear about large-scale sting operations on them, for instance. Hell, some even have business cards. A large organization like the Kuzuryuu Group would be treated more like a shady corporation than a gang of violent criminals.... assuming nobody tries to stir up trouble. But here's MY question:

orenronen posted:

Finally, something interesting... I'll definitely take you up on that offer...!
Is Japanese gymnastics considered a full-contact sport or something? Beacause drat. Akane shows a lot more interest in violence than her SHSL specialty. (And food, but at least that sort of makes sense for a top-ranked athlete.) I hope she wins the next free time vote; I want to see if she used to be the school delinquent or something.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm relieved they brought up the memory loss/traitor plot points this early. One of my great worries going into the sequel was that they were planning to leave that to the last chapter, and treat it as some giant revelation again. Which would be cheap as hell. Harp on it as repetitive if you like, but I prefer to see it as the game's implicit promise that its closing acts will have wildly different plot twists.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A good start to the murder fun-times! There's no name scrawled in blood, and at least 4 people who need investigating: Peko, Hanamura, Nagito and Kuzuryuu. Unless everyone's gone stupid our MC is in the clear for the first case. None of them have a pressing motive to kill, nor a reason to target Togami specifically. If it follows the trend of the first, we'll still have a blindingly obvious culprit before we go to trial, but such is the way of tutorials.

Here's the most puzzling part: there's no way someone pulled the breaker, ran all the way back to the party, killed Togami and stuffed him under the table in the time the lights were out. We know from the first game an accomplice has nothing to gain... but the characters do not. If the murder was purely opportunistic we're still left with "who tripped the breaker, and why?"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nagito is asking suspicious, but he's not acting like a murderer. If he were really intent on throwing off the investigation, you'd think he would be pushing suspicion on Pekoyama or Kuzuryuu or something. He could still be concealing the evidence that directly ties him to the crime, it just seems like a losing prospect in the end--Hajime is still getting all the puzzle pieces. With nothing to tie it to the others, process of elimination would still nail Nagito in the end.

He's definitely hiding something though, no doubt about that.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Well, we know a little more than that.
7. Likes to be technically honest. I don't think we've ever caught her in a direct lie.
Gonna have to call bullshit here. We never did get any of that home cooking. :colbert:

(I like this chapter. Half of the fun of Dangan Ronpa for me was trying to puzzle out just what the hell happened, and now we're starting to pick up some little hints.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

something horrifying
You're good people.

And so are you. If Kuzuryuu's game sprite grew his hair out a little he'd probably have a slightly shorter smaller inferiority complex. Or try to bulk up a little, perhaps?

Dude, do you even lift?!

I dunno sometimes I guess--

INSUFFICIENT!! *bodychecks him with a dumbbell*

Maybe not.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Jesus Christ, Naegi. What the hell did you see out there in Mono-World?

(alright I guess we still don't know it's the same person from the first game, but that was the first thing that jumped to mind for me)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

:suspense: That... was unexpected.

I really believed Mahiru was going to go the distance. Hell, I would have put money on Komaeda biting it this chapter if I had any to spare. Well played, anime school murdergame. Well played.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Don't know about the rest of y'all, but this was my favorite pic of the update:

I can't stop cracking up at baby's first Hanzo steel. It's not the same sword she has now, you notice. His family literally gave their son's infant bodyguard a blade. You know, just in case one of the other kids at day care stole his juice or something. If Kuzuryuu died here it would certainly be thematically appropriate, and man that was a lot of stabbing going on at the end. I feel it would also be less interesting for the story, going forward. Maybe they comrpomise and he winds up in intensive care or something. Say hello to Mikan as the next accused and/or murderer! :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know if this will change anyone's opinion, but shockingly cruel bullying takes place in some Japanese schools. A couple notorious cases ended with suicide, or even violent retaliation. I have no idea what the hard statistics are, but it shows up in popular culture often enough that we can assume the conflict between Koizumi, D-Ko and Kuzuryuu's sister is meant to be viewed in that fashion. If this was such a case, then the implied answer to "why didn't they just tell somebody?" is "they did, and no one gave a poo poo." It's a really common trope scenario in school dramas. That's why I'm inclined to sympathize with Koizumi, and to a lesser extent, Saionji.

Kuzuryuu said his sister would make a better mafia boss than him, and I take this as evidence she would have kept escalating her campaign against Mahiru until something snapped. Gangsters aren't known for their deep wells of empathy, you know? By the same token, Saionji--foul-mouthed, spoiled brat that she is--probably was considered part of their circle of friends. For all the verbal abuse she hurls at Mikan, she's never stepped it up to the physical or attempted to isolate her. Yes, she's a huge jerk and someone should slap her upside the head, but in the larger context I really believe she was meant to be The Short-Tempered One in that reenactment, not a bully in her own right. That was all before the memory wipe, mind, so whatever development led to that point got wiped off the slate.

Maduo posted:

One quick suggestion from a friend later and I now have my own Monobeargguy. It's my first time doing one of these so it's a bit sloppy, and it may be the nerdiest thing I've ever done, but man does it look sweet on my desk.
Not Ursagguy? :v: That is pretty sweet though. Now you've given me an excuse to share my theories on which Gundam mook best represents each of the DR2 cast in exhaustive detail, starting with

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Three possibilities stand out:
  • Nidai is dead; :saddowns: Monobear announces the start of an investigation, claiming someone manipulated events to use him as a murder weapon. This is a stretch because it requires someone to A.) plan a murder without further prompting from Monobear and B.) desire the death of Owari or Nidai. Irrespective of your taste in characters, they're a couple of the least antagonistic people on this island.
  • Nidai is alive; :unsmith: it continues the trends of both the cast behaving more proactively and further shaking up the pattern of each chapter. And of course he still might bite it later. Everyone knows where the hospital is, so the culprit could seize the opportunity to finish him off. Mikan's the obvious choice for patsy in this scenario.
  • Nidai is dead; :smith: there's nothing more to it than that and it gets everyone all hosed up and sad about the randomness of their own mortality. This is the most depressing option, which could also be the point. Nidai's death could very well be the murder-motivation for this chapter.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like this is taking the idea more seriously than I should, but it's not unheard of for parasitic organisms to influence the host's behavior. There's the Cordyceps fungus and toxoplasmosis, for example. High fevers have also been known to cause hallucinations. And that's before we get into all the fun (terrifying) poo poo that can go wrong with your brain without foreign influence. Don't get me wrong, it's still a weird loving direction for the story to take. 'Despair Fever' isn't as far beyond the pale as people seem to think, but the name makes it real drat hard to take seriously.

Alternate theory: the remainder of the game is a hallucination produced by Hinata's dying brain, after he's impaled during the failed assassination attempt on the Sorceress Beatrice at the end of Disc One. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

^^^^
You say that like it's a bad thing. See, this is why Peko could never be a snack mascot. She's got what we in the advertising business call a 'murderin' brow.'

CaptainFish posted:

If this game ends like Harvester, I don't think I'll be able to deal with it.

No need for a trial, this here's a clear-cut case of death by natural causes.
'Natural causes?!'
No one can live without a spinal cord, son. Ain't nothin' unnatural about that.
More pie, sheriff?

I'm just saying, it would be a good way to keep playing with the narrative structure.

• Locked thread