Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dude's literally got lightning in his eyebrows. This is gonna be a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So has everyone else decided who they want to live and die based on the tiny amount we've seen so far? I'm rooting for backpack girl personally.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I can't wait until we learn more about the characters so the fact that they have similarities in design to old characters stops being the only thing about them.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man that opening animation was ballin as hell.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rest in Peace, Usami, you and your theme song were too good for this world :(

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hinata's psyche seems to be most similar to that of Maizono in the first game, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the game pulled something crazy and had you in control of the first killer.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Is it just me or does this image look really weird? It's like the characters are cardboard cutouts standing in front of a 2D background. Some like the hamster guy and the crazy girl are even casting shadows right next to themselves!

I don't even know what's going on with the gamer girl to the right there, does she have three legs or is does she have a shadowy clone of herself standing behind her? Also I'm pretty sure the redhead photographer is floating a little. :psyduck:

Unless it's some strange shenanigans with capturing the gif, this seems like some really sloppy work from the devs.

Is this your first time looking at a Danan Ronpa screen or something.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I know they always were just sprites in front of a background, but I'm pretty sure they never had random shadows floating next to them like someone forgot the crop them properly or something.

It's no big deal and I could be wrong, but there's no need to be snarky you asses. :colbert:

This is Something Awful, of course there's a need to be snarky. *kickflips out of thread*

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chiaki and Peko.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

slowbeef posted:

The problem is it's hard to tell what's artistic and what's a clue.

Like in DR1, Monobear's technology was completely ridiculous (not to mention Chihiro's). For the first execution, he has some choker chain thing that manages to shoot out, catch Leon, drag him into a little stadium outside the court (that no one saw?).

Also he has the whole castle set up for the Celes execution and ... a firetruck somehow? Not to mention that the spears that kill Junko really do sort of materialize out of nowhere.

In DR1's extreme cases, we assume that Monobear just has access to incredible technology that is sort of like magic, but... "sorta kinda maybe not really but" grounded in some sort of reality. So here, when you have Monobeasts, transmuting cows, super-quick change weather, and teleporting bunnies, it's hard to know if the game's signalling you to "Hey, something's wrong with the tech this time around, this shouldn't be possible" or it's just more stuff to look stylish.

I mean my four examples could just be giant robots, smoke-and-mirrors, a super climate control system, and sleight of hand.

I don't know if there's anything that's happened to them that could only happen in a computer simulation (at least in game-world terms).

I sort of rationalize Monobear's control over the environment as him being basically GLADoS, in the way the school is shaped to his whim. And there being a bunch fo poo poo underground.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Why y'all gotta be so mean to Monomi :( she's trying her best!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fedule posted:

Keep in mind, though, that we're going to see all the free-times eventually anyway. There's only so seriously one can really take this.

gently caress that, man. If I weren't so busy with life stuff right now I'd be making Chiaki propaganda posters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wrong thread whoops

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

likecnsnnts posted:

I am immediately suspicious of that loving bone on the comically large piece of meat. Is it really gonna end up being a bludgeoning weapon?
I hope not because like half the deaths in the last game were bludgeoning. Spice it up, game!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peko just showing up again out of the blue just cements her position as prime suspect for me. She was already that before, but now she's showing she wasn't incapacitated so where the gently caress was she?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Stroth posted:

They're not criminal masterminds, with the one exception. Their plans will probably have some holes in them.

Much like Togami now does :thurman:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'd label Hanamura, Nagito, Peko, and Souda as the only really probable suspects at this point, given what we know. Personally I'm leaning towards Hanamura, but it's still really unclear no matter how we look at it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I suspect that Gundam's story as to how he got his earring back is gonna blow this one wide open.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shieldhill posted:

They do each have a counterpart. Don't go nuts looking for patterns, there's only so many ways a group of people can stand in an elevator. Just because Souda is standing where Leon did doesn't mean he's the killer.

The only notable difference is that we have one more student than we did at this point in DR1.

Two more.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Frankly at this point I think Peko's just got the shits. No poison or nothing. Seems like her role for this case is Primary Red Herring.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Y'all need to remember there is no mole. There is a traitor, by which I mean someone who should not be here at all, and even Monobear is unaware who it is. They are a student who is not meant to be in this class, and if the memory loss deal is still true, they may not even be aware of it. That being said, I do believe the "traitor" can only be one of two people at this point: Nagito or Hinata. What their role will prove to be in the story with relation to the traitor position is completely beyond me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Except the obvious "traitor" is Togami, since we know Togami is not meant to be in this class. His classmates were everyone from the first game, not these guys.

Also an option, but in the metagame I really doubt they'd bring up that plot hook just to knock him off first.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Stylistic choice, I believe it was answered earlier in the thread.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ugh dammit I wish I wasn't so bogged down with school poo poo or I'd be leading the Team Chiaki fan art charge right now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It is completely impossible for me to take Hinata seriously when his hair wiggles like that.

drat fine update, however.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also the best part of this update was far and away Monomi being hung from a rope.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

THIS IS MY LAST RETORT! :rock:

Never mind, that phrasing is perfect now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Worth it for Monomi's theme alone, I'd say.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think doors like that typically slide rather than swing. I could be completely off-base though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

HangedManArcana posted:

Technically Celes did both killings. She killed Ishimaru, and Yamada was supposed to kill someone else, but Celes killed him first. She planned it out with him, but it actually was only her who killed someone.

Yamada killed Ishimaru.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think he made this rule this time.

I think we can assume the base rules from the first game are still in place.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dejablue posted:

So I guess it is the unanimous idea that Nagito was going to try and murder Togami but it didn't quite work out the way he wanted...

So...when the trial is over and Hanamura is executed. How exactly will Nagito's relations be with everyone else? I mean heck the guy didn't get to do it but he TRIED to murder someone. People are going to be feeding this guy with a 70 foot spoon after this. Nagito seems to be one of your sidekick characters. If everyone is correct about how this all went down then Nagito is no longer trust worthy.

I'm guessing Nagito's excuse is that he planted everything there for self-defense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

slowbeef posted:

...Including the blackout?

Well, the knife at least. He can probably pin the blackout on Hanamura vOv

I'm just talking more in the sense of post-execution relations, it seems more reasonable that he'd have an excuse like that. Thought it would be far more interesting to see him have to deal with the fallout of his attempted kill.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Argh, I was dying to see the Evidence Blade battle with Nidai! You're killing me, oren!

Teruteru's insistence that the food had nothing to do with it was a little suspicious, but I guess you can write that off as his character trait (chef and all).

Well, if our most common theory (Hanamura under the floorboards) is correct, it didn't. His defense of his food is entirely separate to whatever evidence may come up against him with regards to Togami's hella stabbed status.

BackwardPalindrome posted:

I'm not quite sure that I get why they immediately dismissed Pekoyama's food being drugged just because the rest of it wasn't. She had a plate specifically made for her.

She made her own plate.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oh man I'm so glad I decided Nanami was my favorite from the start :allears:

Also Komaeda is just getting more confusing by the minute :psyduck:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's pretty clear that Nagito has snapped because he's so upset about his stupid loving shoes.

Who the gently caress has two zippers on each shoe???

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am the M00N posted:

Edit: we need a Nagito-face smiley now.

Not really, no!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think calling Nagito insane is missing the point a little, it seems more to me that he's a completely self-hating piece of poo poo who's more than willing to drag everyone down with him.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also I gotta say I really love how expressive they've made Hinata. He seems far more attached to everything than Naegi ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DanBDanielson posted:

On a somewhat related note, has anyone pointed out how a lot of the expressions are pretty similar, especially amongst the female members of the cast? At first I had a crackpot theory as to why this is, and then re-reading bits from the original, there's a lot of reused face expressions, and I'm guessing this is just due to the artistic style, but still kind of interesting.

It's anime, dude.

• Locked thread