Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

orenronen posted:

The Vita version of this image makes this much clearer:

Oh my god, I never noticed it before, but Gundam isn't just making a sand castle, he's making a sand castle for his hamsters to play in. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

KynElwynn posted:

Reading too much into it theater presents: Two murderers and a victim depicted here. Sonia and Souda are potentially going to be the Celes/Yamada of this game. I hope this is baseless speculation because I really like Ibuki and Gundam.

Ibuki's a little too over-the-top wacky for me, but it'll be a sad, sad day if Gundam bites the dust.

Although, I'm almost wondering if Gundam won't be a killer at some point. he doesn't seem like one at all because of how seemingly out-of-touch with the world he is, but that could easily make for a good murder because nobody would suspect him. Then it turns out he killed the victim because they were giving off dark energy, or something else like that.

Also, I really really hope that at some point, one of the murderers is SUPER obvious. So obvious that it couldn't possibly be that person, it's just a red herring. Then during the trail everybody points fingers at that person at the start, but we know the person is being accused right at the start of the trial so it obviously isn't them. Then a piece of evidence shunts suspicion away from the culprit, the trial continues, then it turns out it was the first really obvious suspect the whole time. That'd probably be the most surprising way for the game to hide a culprit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Opposing Farce posted:

Hinata's lock being broken is too specific a detail and too obviously applicable to a murder mystery scenario for it to have absolutely no relevance. I wouldn't count on Mioda necessarily factoring into the case, though; she certainly could, but the fact that the lock is broken may be the only thing that matters rather than the way it was broken in the first place.

Basically this. I think if the game was trying to go for a funny joke, it coulda gone something like "Monobear let me in! Don't worry, Ibuki promised she wouldn't murder Hajime-chan!"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If she can heal you, I assume she can sure as hell kill you if she wants to. I did mean intentional malpractice, I should clarify. Someone with an extensive knowledge of human anatony would probably know a ton of nigh-undetectable ways of letting someone die.

Especially considering that the group usually trusts her to check the corpses, it could be super easy for her to check the body of her own victim and mislead the group with false information.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Really I'd just like it to be her cus she's one of the people that pretty obviously wouldn't murder anyone, so I think it'd make for a harder and more interesting murder. Right now we've got Nidai, Owari, Saionji, and maybe Kuzuryuu as people-who-will-probably-kill-someone, or at least people-who-will-be-blamed-for-killing-someone. I'd kinda like to see someone other than them be one of the killers, to make it the least obvious.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

I don't see any of those people being potential murderers at the moment. Nidai's shown himself to be a pretty caring and compassionate guy underneath his gruff exterior; Akane's been focusing her aggression towards sparring with Nidai and challenging Monobear; Saionji seems to have a pretty strong moral stance against killing people; and Kuzuryuu is currently making an effort to redeem himself and change his ways.

With Nidai, he seems like the kind of person who buckles down and gets what he needs to done. If monobear can convince him via some motivation that he REALLY needs to kill someone to accomplish something, I could probably see him going through with it - considering we know SOMETHING is about to go down between Akane (who has at least a friendship relationship with Nidai) then it wouldn't be too big of a stretch to imagine her being put into some position that can encourage Nidai to kill - possibly Akane winds up in some hostage-ish situation or something, and the killer will murder to protect her maybe?
Akane herself I could see possibly killing someone, if only cus she has lots of aggression and strength. Yes it's usually directed at Nidai, but that could also be a misdirection for her to murder - we're so used to her directing it at Nidai, we assume she wouldn't direct it elsewhere. Alternatively, maybe the game will pull something similar to Sakura (the big strong person gets murdered) and kill off Nidai, and thus Akane would be the prime suspect (and thus not actually guilty).

Saionji may have a moral stance against killing people, but she also was killing ants for fun? She seems fairly unstable and with the amount of hatred she can pump out, I could see her going to those lengths. Maybe something with Akane and monobear will piss her off and push her over the edge, or something. I don't honesty think Kuzuryuu will murder someone at this point, though.

Really, everyone else is just not as obviously a murderer. Sonia, Mioda, and Mikan are super sweet to everyone, and Nanami has (seeming) plot armor. Gundam would never kill anyone because he's just so :allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

Keep in mind that most of the Japanese players of the game would be more familiar with Monobear's voice coming out of this character:

He sounds evil to you because you first heard him as Monobear, thus you associate the voice with him.

They really should have gotten Mickey Mouse's voice actor to do Monobear.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think people are more pissed not about the idea of the disease itself, being unrealistic or whatever, but rather that in a mystery game where personalities and motivations are extremely important and suddenly pressing a "everyone is now backwards!" button kinda defeats the point. As someone mentioned earlier, may as well just pump them full of crazy murder drugs. I'm hoping that it doesn't directly lead to a murder, and that it instead provides the indirect stepping stones that lead to a murder. I'm also hoping it isn't used as a red herring for a murder that would otherwise be super obvious.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hinata gets infected, and the player has to plan and act out the next murder. :getin:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Overflight posted:

Whereas her Monobear was all about showing how the "bastions of hope" that the SHSL students were could be driven to despair, this Monobear does a couple of somewhat halfhearted manipulation motives and now all of a sudden "MIND VIRUS!".

I dunno if I'd call programming an entire video game "half-hearted"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Really, the main thing turning me off to SDR2 as a DR1 fan is the stretching of suspension of disbelief. Like Slowbeef said, DR1 had some over-the-top elements but they were usually just there to be stylistic. You could have replaced all of the death scenes with a trap door opening underneath the guilty person's podium, and then replaced Monobear with a mysterious person in a coat whose face and body you can't see, and it'd still more or less make the same amount of sense - it was fairly realistic at its core. Here you've got giant robots, dudes surviving bazookas to the chest, and mysterious disease outta nowhere, and these are all major plot elements rather than things done just to be stylish. It's just such a drastic change from DR1, it really has killed some of my engagement for the story.

But of course, I'll still read every update immediately upon it being posted.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Granted, We didn't meet Alter Ego until after at least the third trial, right? Considering we're still not even at the third trial yet, I'd assume we're not even halfway through the game yet. still gotta lotta surprises in store, I'm sure.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

whitehelm posted:

There was a reference to Chihiro making an AI in his free time events, but we actually met Alter Ego at the start of Chapter 3. Aoi thought she saw Chihiro's ghost in a locker, then they found the laptop in there the next day.

Ah my mistake, I thought we didn't run into alter ego until ch. 4. Then yeah, I could definitely go for some more counter-measures going on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I would say maybe Saionji comes to the hospital and kills someone, and Mikan goes apeshit and then kills Saionji immediately? We'd get a double murder that could look like Mikan killed both, when one of the culprits was actually the dead Saionji. The problem with this is obviously I doubt Saionji would murder anyone, unless she gets afflicted by despairitis - turning from a mean person with a heart of gold to a nice person with a cruel heart? Still not really buying that, but I just think that the idea of the murderer being killed before everyone knows they're the murderer, thus framing the new killer for both is kind of neat.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bean posted:

Still betting Tsumiki is our despair-infected murderer.

I'm gunna agree with this. We know that despairitis isn't something that makes your personality completely 180, it just makes you act differently - Komaeda isn't really known as someone who is particularly truthful, so him telling only lies as an effect of the disease shows that it doesn't just make you act opposite - otherwise he'd be a bastion of confidence looking down on the other peons around him, almost like Kuzuryuu was at first. poo poo, for all we know Komaeda may already be dead - Tsumiki could have killed him last night (or sooner?) and has been huddling over a corpse this whole time as an alibi. We need three people to confirm that a body is in fact dead, and whether or not the killer counts as one of those three is an extreme gray area. No one except her has gone close enough to ensure he's alive, and we've solely gone off of her word that he's totally not dead guys, he's just barely breathing and his heart is barely beating so even though he's sitting there not moving he's not dead!! And the fact that Komaeda's always willing to help out murderers... What Tsumiki thinks would be accomplished by staving it off all this time, I'm not sure of, however - maybe she's just hoping the students won't pay that much attention to Monobear's given time of death? Hoping for a death in the motel to distract everyone?

Mostly I just find it very suspicious that Komaeda's in such poor condition, when neither of the other infected students show ANY signs of being physically-impaired. poo poo, we had to force Mioda back to her room, she was feeling so spry. So why is Komaeda in such terminal condition, unless someone has intended it to happen - and Tsumiki is the one best qualified to make it look natural. IF he's not already dead, I'd be surprised if Tsumiki wasn't the one keeping him in his condition.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
SHSL inadequacy? :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If DR3 happens, I want one of the students to be extraordinarily incompetent and untalented. In fact, they are the most unlikely to ever get into hope's peak, and thus they were admitted! :pseudo:

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 21, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SirKibbles posted:

You mean when it comes out right?

Didn't realize it was being worked on! I mean I kinda figured it'd happen, but.

Also whoops I meant to say 'untalented' in my post up earlier, stupid auto-correct.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I also hope DR3 has a SHSL Businessman, who started out as an orphan living on the streets to become the richest high schooler in the world, just to prove this dumb argument both right and wrong.

Hire me spike chunsoft, I'm the best at making ronpas of the dangan variety.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I still just want someone to super-obviously be a murder culprit, and actually is one. The idea that they're obviously a red herring would be the red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Y'know, with how popular these threads have been, Oren could probably convince a mod to let him keep updating the thread with the English version after it's released if he wants to. Dunno if the differing translation would drive him insane or not, though. I mean I know there's the rule about LPing games right after release, but considering this LP has been going on for a while, and it very obviously isn't a LOL IMMA BLIND LP DIS NEW GAEM thread or anything.

• Locked thread