Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh wow we're starting! And already we've gotten the one 'spoiler' I knew out of the way - that Monorabbit exists. So I'm going in clean and pure.

So far my thoughts are that Beautiful Days remains as uplifting as ever, Fat Togami looks weird as hell, and that creepy chef is going to murder everyone. Immediately.

Also:

I think this girl looks a lot like Junko. I'm thinking the similarities are deliberate, not laziness. Of course I have no idea what significance they could have...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Son Conan posted:

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!:dance:

So, apparently Togami has decided to cosplay as Nero Wolfe. Well, with him, Detective Conan, and "Frances" York Morgan around, the criminals don't stand a chance.

I'm down with this. Wolfe is my favorite fictional detective.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sherringford posted:

Haha, that would be perfect. Hell, William S. Baring-Gould(and somebody else whose named I cannot recall) theorized that Nero Wolfe was Sherlock Holmes' son with Irene Adler. Could Fatogami be Togami's son with...I don't know, who's the DR equivalent of Irene Adler? It's sure as hell not Fukawa.

...Wow. Page three and I feel we already went past the deep end with theories.

Not Fukawa no. I just realized we already know who three of these characters are:

There's Fat Togami, Long Hair Naegi, and Punk Hagakure.

:v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just realized something else that supports my "theory" about Fat Togami. He clearly inherited his mother's love of donuts and his father's love of physical activity.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sounds like you really know your stuff, Fedule! I'm really interested to see you and Oren write these notes up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to take Nagito at face value until proven otherwise. He looks like Naegi, sounds like Naegi, has Naegi's talent, share's Naegi's knowledge, and has an anagram name. He's Naegi. I think all 6 of our survivors will be involved at some point. Maybe Naegi and Togami are the undercover infiltrators and the others are working from the outside.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 14, 2012

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

melodicwaffle posted:

Wait, what? I thought the person who was narrating was Fukawa. I mean, they don't use her name explicitly, but I think it's pretty clear from the fixation on ugliness and her being the only one of the previous cast to have a significance with attractive boys.

E: f;b. ^

She sure doesn't look much like Fukawa, and it told us her name...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

This seems to imply that her talent is something dangerous or exploitable, like ESP. In fact, could this be Maizono (or related to her)?

Again, we saw what she looked like. This is a new character, not one of the DR1 cast in disguise.

TKMobile posted:

Yeeeaaah, I think so too that this may be implying something about Hinata, but what if it's implying something about Nagito and more importantly Naegi as well? What if the "Bogus System" used by the preparatory school is the lottery that each supposedly won?

No, that doesn't work. Naegi never made any reference to having attended the Preparatory School before winning the lottery, and it's been described as nationwide.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Come on Kuzuryuu, don't you know that gangsters embrace their weird nicknames? "Baby-face" should instill terror into the hearts of all who hear it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Is it? I was under the impression that most of its rabid fanbase is here in the West, or at least on TvTropes SA :v: Seriously though, is DR really that big? I mean yeah, they managed to get just about everyone in the Big Ladybird Book of Seiyuu to do voice clips, but would it be popular enough for someone to go through all that effort?

Were you really suggesting that Dangan Ronpa is more popular in places that it hasn't even been released than where it has?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The more we learn about the history and powers behind Hope's Peak the more sinister it seems. I think Zero is really going to help put what happened in Dangan Ronpa into a larger context than Junko's personal quest for despair.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stone Salt posted:

Are any of the characters around monobear related? If so, does that mean the anime will have a different story and cast?

All the other characters have the names of the show they're from on them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Interesting. The statue looks like it's from Greek myth -- it's the hero Bellerophon riding Pegasus to defeat the Chimera, a hideous amalgamation of lion, serpent, and goat. Bellerophon is also famous for letting his victory over the Chimera get to his head, and he falls from grace due to his hubris.

It did remind me of that, but the horse doesn't have wings, there's an eagle on the guy's shoulders, the cat is a tiger, and there's no goat. That could still be what it's supposed to represent, but those are a lot of changes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stone Salt posted:

The jabberwock was a monster in a nonsense poem from the Alice in Wonderland book. It's supposed to be the best of its kind.

It's actually from Through the Looking Glass. The statue doesn't seem to be any particular reference to the poem or the book however.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AnticitizenOne posted:

As I think someone else said earlier, Akane has a really weird physique for being a Super High-school Level Gymnast. That, and I find it really hard to believe that this Byakuya Togami is the Byakuya Togami from DR1, unless something really weird is going on.

Before I go any further with this, I read the spoiler policy in the OP, but does anyone know if full spoilers for DR1 are ok in this thread? Is it pretty much assumed, because the OP suggested reading the old LP first, that everyone here is fully familiar with it? Just making sure.

Full spoilers for DR1 are absolutely allowed, and will certainly be ultimately necessary for discussion. There's already been some discussion about how Junko's personal game in DR1 might relate to what's going on in DR2 and DR0.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The statue could be a rendition of the Jabberwock. No physical characteristics of the Jabberwock were ever given, so it can look like whatever you want it to look like

This is true, but the man in the statue is clearly riding a horse and wielding a spear which I don't think could possibly be described as a vorpal sword. I'd like to see that thing go snicker-snack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hm. I wonder if Usami's reaction is just part of the whole plan or if she really is genuine. I'd bee assuming that this whole thing was just an elaborate set up by Monobear, but now it's seeming a bit like the island was really intended to be peaceful by whoever is behind Usami. Which is weird because what purpose could that possibly serve?

Also, we discussed the poem earlier, but since the whole island is named after it and not just the park, I'm thiking it may be important. Here it is for reference:

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 3, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that this is going to be one of the big mysteries going forward - whose side is Usami really on? (As someone mentioned earlier, Usami seems more like a parody of the concept of Hope than the genuine article.)

I'd kinda been expecting her to obviously feign surprise or horror at Monobear's antics. Of course this could still be what she's doing, but at the very least it's not being deliberately telegraphed to the player.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skunkrocker posted:

The big breasted athelete is a moronic whore.

What the gently caress dude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zeeco posted:

Am I missing something? Why is everyone assuming this is the same Togami and not one of his descendants?

He looks, acts, and dresses like him, and shares the same name. Also because it's hilarious to wonder about how he turned from his pole thin self to so extremely obese.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

editing minor spoiler

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 7, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Souda is going to be involved in the first murder somehow. He's acting extremely frightened and paranoid. Not sure whether it's more likely he'll be the first killer or the first victim though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

You know, I'm kinda thinking he won't be involved in murders, the first one anyway. There's a bit too much comparison to be made to the first murderer/victim of the first game for me to think the game won't throw a curveball at us (as it so loves to do), but more importantly, there seems to be too much room for Souda to grow as a character for him to just be offed at the beginning like that. I've been trying to draw a common theme between all the survivors of the last game, and one of the main ones seemed to be character development. All the characters who killed in the last game were kind of static and kinda had nowhere to go as characters within the framework of the story. But Naegi, Togami, Fukawa/Syo, Hagakure (who you'll remember was also cowardly for a while), Asahina... they all changed drastically as the story developed, and evolved beyond their gimmicks.

Of course, it's far too early at this point to tell everyone who's going to do that, and of course, the game does love its curveballs. But I think Souda may make it till tomorrow.

I don't think potential character development is a good tool for making predictions.

I think Souda is a possible early murder victim because he is isolating himself. He's afraid and doesn't trust anyone and is trying to keep away from all of them, which could make him an easy target.

On the other hand, depending on how things go with him, this same behavior could also lead to him being an early murderer. If his fear of dying gets to the point that he can't take it anymore, he might snap and kill someone to try to save himself. It probably wouldn't be a very well planned or orchestrated murder, as his current mental state doesn't seem like it would lend itself to that.

So what I'm thinking is that unless he mellows out soon, he's not going to survive for much longer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah that's a good idea too, I hadn't thought of that. Though it also seems like it would be a bit too clever for the first murder in the game.

Oh now I'm metagaming too, oops.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Very late to the party but I want to see Togami and Nagito because the mystery around those two is what most interests me.

I wonder if Monomi is just going to be comic relief for the rest of the game, or if she'll actually have more of a role to play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man, this book is really weird.

I sure hope it makes some sense at the end!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kobold posted:

SHSL Fast Learner, maybe? That could explain why she has such a horrible memory - she's naturally inclined to have enough free "mental space" to pick up things that could be useful.

Season 2 of the TV show Alphas had a character exactly like this. She could pick up any skill instantly just by observing it. The downside was that while she kept any skills she learned, she could only remember the events in her life from the past 3 weeks or so. Ryouko obviously forgets things much more quickly, but maybe they're going for a similar idea.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To be safe, just never type the words D*ng*n R*np* anywhere ever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to continue to vote for Togami and Nagito as long as they're alive. I really want to find out more about them.

I know what I'd do if I played would be to stick with the same characters until I'd seen their whole story before going on to new ones, at least as much as possible.

Togami's party seems like a set up out of a mystery novel. The lights go out and when they turn on one of the number is dead! I wonder what he's really up to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CrashScreen posted:

What the gently caress? That's got to be one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard in this thread. What are you basing that on? What person would kill someone and then hide the body where only they have been? And then there's the danger of being seen outside of where they're supposed to be by somebody else, which instantly makes him even more suspicious. I sincerely hope that was a joke post.

That isn't what he said - you've combined two different things there. He was proposing A)Someone could murder someone and slip the body in to frame Nagito OR B)Nagito could sneak out and commit a murder and use the fact he was cleaning as an alibi.

I don't think either of these scenarios are particularly likely, but it's not as mindbogglingly stupid as you made it out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I took German all through high school and for a few semesters in college (including a semester abroad). I have never heard the expression that Togami throws out in his conversation.

It's obviously not a real expression - it's a play on "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No clear indication on what the weapon was that killed him yet, which is a good sign that it may indeed be the missing skewer.

Pretty surprising that he was stabbed so many times. That definitely implies that there was a very personal motive to this crime that led someone to attack him so violently.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Well, there is a blood-soaked knife next to the body.

If that was enough evidence it was the weapon, we wouldn't have spent all these pages since the last update discussing other possibilities.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really don't think Togami stashed the knife. We know now that he had the night vision goggles, and we just confirmed that the knife was attached with glow in the dark tape. These two things were always likely to have been prepared by different people, and now that we know Togami had the goggles prepared, it looks more likely that the knife was prepared by the murderer.

Furthermore (and this is perhaps a bit more shaky) I think this also suggests that it was the murderer who staged the blackout and not Togami. My reasoning for this is that Togami clearly had a number of objects prepared in his case for a number of possible situations. He retrieved the goggles when the lights went out simply in reaction to what had happened. The taped knife on the other hand is a specific preparation for a blackout.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also I'm super glad that Mahiru is indeed playing the role of Lotta Hart, and I sure hope she sticks around. Photographs are my favorite mystery game investigative tool. Too bad I haven't really been able to get any good ideas from these two so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This whole under the floorboards thing is completely off base. I think the large gaps means that something is hidden between them, like perhaps the missing skewer. I don't think there's been anything to suggest that there's actually some kind of space underneath the floorboards and the evidence of Gundam's earring actually directly contradicts this possibility.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stroth posted:

They're not criminal masterminds, with the one exception. Their plans will probably have some holes in them.

Now you're literally making the argument that any parts of this theory that make no sense can automatically be attributed to the murderer making a bad plan. But if you step back a bit and look at it, this thread has latched onto a theory of this crime that is so incredibly complex and hinges on multiple chance circumstances going exactly right. Not to mention the fact that the entire thing is based on the faulty premise that there is a crawlspace underneath the floorboards, something I still see no evidence for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A good rule of thumb when dealing with helpful character in murder mysteries is to analyze the type of help they are giving. If they're leading you to evidence that wouldn't have been found anyway and are interpreting them in ways that don't necessarily make them look good, they're likely being genuinely helpful. This is the case with Nagito, particularly in regards to the irons. As the one who found and unplugged them on his own, he had no motivation to leave them together and point them out to Hinata if he'd been the one to set them up. Nagito isn't the killer.

I'm in agreement with Captain Bravo - Souda's the killer. This is the first case, so it's not unlikely that the killer will overplay their hand and Souda has already begun to do so with his suspicions of Pekoyama. Combine this with his technical knowhow, and he's the most likely suspect.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

Neither Oren nor I were entirely sure what game Nanami is referencing here, and apparently the reference guides for the game aren't sure either (also apparently there are reference guides for the game). Personally, it made me think immediately of Final Fantasy VIII, what with its famously interaction-averse protagonist and having large bits of the plot take place in schools, but somehow I doubt that that's what the game's referencing. There are a lot of JRPGs with rear end in a top hat protagonists.

I'm almost completely sure it refers to The World Ends With You, because the plot is actually very much about the concept of being isolated while surrounded by people.

Edit: Ha, Opposing Farce beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My only reaction to that is drat tumblr roleplaying is complicated. Tags and mutiple blogs, having to draw your characters, making videos I don't understand any of this! Whatever happened to a bunch of kids posting in a forum thread and each trying to control which way the story went like when I was 12?

Kids these days!

• Locked thread