Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Is it... Dangan Ronpa 2? It is! It's really begun! And the beginning is everything I could have hoped for!

BLISS.

But... now I have to wait for updates.

DESPAIR.

Thanks a lot, Fedule, HelloWinter, orenronen! This'll be a blast. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I am at a loss for words on how awesome this is. :allears:

And I certainly can't wait to see some of these mysteries unfold. Literally can't wait. :negative:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh.

Huuuuuh.

Whelp, I'm fully down with the 'it's a computer simulation' interpretation now. It's NOT just the weird blip at the beginning, there's a frigging ton of incidental evidence by now (admittedly, most of it can be ignored if you work at finding alternate explanations, but I like applying Occam's razor occasionally and this is one of the times where 'the simplest explanation' is 'computer simulation'). Seriously, take Togami not recognizing Monobear (hell, there BEING a Togami at all, really), take the oh-so-suspicious mix-and-match traits of several students from the previous game in the new students, the memory shenanegans (which, if you stop taking the existence of easy memory manipulation at face value (HOW IS THIS DONE?), is an argument for the previous cast of students from DR1 being in a computer simulation as well), Usami running her Friendship Tour on an island chain that inexplicably has MONOBEAR ZORDS, the weather mysteriously changing, the chicken-into-cow trick, and so forth.

I'll honestly be surprised if it isn't a computer simulation at this point... so if it isn't, good fakeout, game! Either way, it's going to be a lovely ride.

And, in line with the above, I think Usami/Monomi is an iteration of Alter Ego from the last game, which explains why there's something here actually concerned with building friendship, rather than students murdering the crap out of each other. I think it took upon itself to run the simulation again, and show the world Hope, as opposed to Despair, but the Monobear from the last game still being active is gumming up its gears and taking control over the show. Or possibly the Monobear that 'survived' the last game is simply running it again, and has turned the role of Alter Ego into Usami, giving her a dash of foreknowledge and setting everything up for more Despair by prepackaging and controlling the traits of the Deus Ex Machina from the last runthrough of this little game of Mutual High School Killing.

By the way, did anyone notice how Monobear seems to refer to itself in a 'he' role ('big brother', etc.)? Did it use to do that in the last game? I honestly can't remember now.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pyradox posted:

Occam's Razor means finding the explanation with the fewest unfounded assumptions. The existance of full on matrix technology is a pretty major unfounded assumption. Everything that's happened still fits in with the stuff we're familiar with from DR1, just with a different setup. It's much simpler to just take it at face value - Monobear got here before they did and replaced the statue, then he hid while Usami was doing her thing. The only major unexplained thing is the weather changing but we simply don't have enough information to come up with a decent explanation for it.

The reason this stuff resembles DR1 and makes reference to it is because the game designers are specifically trying to screw with people who played the previous game. These games have a weak fourth wall anyway, you don't need to come up with an elaborate computer simulation theory to explain it. Especially because the fact that this is literally a computer simulation (i.e. a video game) means any evidence that it's a matrix simulation can just as easily be chalked up to "it's a game". That's literally the one theory that unless the game draws specific attention to it cannot be supported just through conjecture.

Fair enough. Bad use of the term Occam's razor. Let me examine my feelings and try to explain myself a little better.

To me, the elephant in the room, the thing that leans me towards the virtual reality explanation the most, is 'memory manipulation'... every over-the-top thing that is revealed just adds to that pile for me. I have a sneaking suspicion that a) I've probably got confirmation bias going on, and b) the students may not to be actual, live real humans (or, perhaps, not ALL), but personality amalgams. AIs, like Alter Ego. That's the thing that makes the most sense to me. I think I may have been waiting for that shoe to drop since the last game, in fact.

It's just that switcharooing points of data ought to be a ton easier than messing with real, live brains who ought to have -all- sorts of icky biological reasons for why it would be difficult, bloody hard in fact, to muck about inside them. I'm not debating the facts of Dangan Ronpa Zero (whatever they may end up being), or whether or not the Despair Event happened, or perhaps even the events of Dangan Ronpa 1. That all might have Been Real (tm)! But the events of this game? I'm already doubting they're Real real, I really am. Or at least, I'm doubting the -degree- to which they're real.

It's just that we've been taking the existence of AI and memory manipulation at (some) face value since the last game, and I keep thinking 'ok, so if both of these things exist, perhaps one is the explanation for the other'? It just makes -sense- to me that if you can create AI and you have a proven ability to mess with memories, you can create AI who believes itself to be human, and have human memories, and, oh happy day, wouldn't that make messing with memory reeeal easy? You could happily mix and match personality traits and appearances then, and that leads -so- well into what we're seeing in DR2. It could explain why a 'dead' mastermind is still plodding about; she either was AI all along, or she's safe in the 'real world', or she uploaded herself before dying in the last game. Her brand of crazy could have done any number of things with access to that kind of science, and I see few reasons why she WOULDN'T have, if she had the ability to.

Also, I don't want to accept the explanation of 'a weak fourth wall' for why some of these students are -uncannily- like students from the previous game. There's got to be some rhyme and reason for that. If the real reason really just is 'we wanted to play with expectations', I'd be a little disappointed. Which -would- be my due reward for falling for it. Dangan Ronpa is the game that messes with expectations, so if I'm expecting something you can bet your rear end I'm probably dead wrong, but hey, at least I tried to make some sense of it.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Okay yeah that entire sequence felt kinda like a scene from Home Alone.

Goddammit. Now you've got me pondering Super Elementary School Level talents.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Evidence bullet: Togami is fat
He was stabbed by this six inch blade, right? I KINDA DOUBT THAT!!

Give this man a dollar. Togami wearing a suit of fat as ablative armor sounds right up the alley of a paranoid, but determined heir. Clearly the knife isn't going to, heh, cut it, unless it was wielded with great strength and precision, and from the pooling blood in the picture, it looks like Togami was hurt through the upper gut or chest, where there ought to be a lot of fat in the way. My bet is on the spit. The blood so far up along the undersides of the tablecloth is a bit weird, though. Maybe he really -was- stabbed from a crawlspace beneath the tables... do note how this particular table has no carpet beneath it!

Anyway, I believe the most likely culprits are Nagito or Pekoyama. They're the only ones with 'access' to the right kinds of materials, skills and opportunities to put a swift and planned end to Fatogami (martial arts in Peko's case, 'Luck' in Nagito's). This early in the evidence-gathering I'm leaning towards Nagito, really, since he had the scouting and planning advantage for whatever happened here, but it being Peko or someone else (for reasons yet unknown) is definitely possible.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

grandalt posted:

And we can certainly say that Nagito is completely insane. I wonder what the students are going to do with this nutjob?

Have you ever played the game 'Kill Dr. Lucky'?

... yeah. Bastard's probably going to stick around for a while.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who are curious about the Boktai game Nanami referenced: There happens to be an LP of Boktai 2 on-going right now.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
While it's pretty likely that it's Peko what's gone and done the murderin', under the guise of her serial-killer killer alter ego, I do kind of hope the game will throw us one more upset, like it did with the murder of the hacker last game and Togami meddling with the crime scene. Wouldn't it be glorious if the real killer turned out to be Saionji all along, and she was running away in a panic because a famous masked serial-killer killer turned up? :allears:

LukanFox posted:

Er, warning duly noted. I'll just have to keep a lid on my language from now on.

Since nobody's nice enough to spell it out: 'Gently Caress' is part of a word filter SA provides non-logged-in readers. Actually using terms like 'rear end in a top hat' (i.e. rear end in a top hat) and 'gently caress' (i.e. gently caress) is inadvisable, as A) the kid gloves are supposed to come off when you're a goon, and B) using those terms are a good way to undear yourself to the general goony populace as an unsophisticated rube.

In short: there's nothing wrong with watching your language, but if you are gonna cuss, you might as well cuss for real and not 'funny'-fake-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PAMaster posted:

They say that ask, and ye shall receive...

This is glorious. This is so glorious. :allears:
Help, I can't stop laughing

• Locked thread