Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I played through some of this with a friend and while I don't know a whole lot about it all I can say is that every update will be :tviv:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

The soundtrack for the game is available on amazon.co.jp. Shipping can be a little expensive (I was lucky to have a friend who visited Japan bring me a copy), but it's very much worth it - we're talking about a 3 CD soundtrack with more than 100 tracks. A lot of the DR1 music is also included.

I'm going to Japan for two weeks with a friend over the holidays, is it likely something I could physically get in a store?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

Definitely. If you're visiting Akihabara, pretty much any location that sells CDs will have copies, plus they're setting up a temporary specialty Dangan Ronpa store between December 22 and January 20 (with a 2 day new year break).

This is perfect, thanks a ton. :allears:

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I'm happy about it too.

I don't want to be a dick, but like, who cares? Posts that only say "Yes, I am glad that there are less pointless posts" and nothing else aren't helping said problem.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 12, 2012

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dog days are over posted:

I really like how all the characters have their own symbols, even if they don't really play a part in the story of the game. Our protagonist's symbol caught my eye;

If you mirror it (and use a bit of imagination) it looks like a skull, doesn't it?

I wouldn't read too much into that though since like I said their symbols never really meant anything in the game. I just found it neat.

Leon, the first killer, had a bloody skull as his symbol.

If trends hold, that means we'll be killing a whole lot of people. :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I believe what he's getting at is that it's kinda like if they used human being instead.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Conro101 posted:

I wonder how many people started reading the LP because of slowbeef constantly mentioning it on Retsutalk.

I actually did. I didn't know there was a DR LP until then. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
His hair is more like a shrimp.

I hope Hanamura is smooth as silk and charms Chiaki, to the disdain of the thread. :allears:

BioEnchanted posted:

With the speculation about Bedhead's SHSL ability, what if she didn't get in with a talent per se? What if she is just Super High-School Level Tits?

Hold that thought until the next update. :argh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Possible, but doubtful. I'm pretty sure that is what the game creators are trying to do. Create and fuel expectations based on what happened in the first game, then turn around and do something completely different. If Sonia dies first or we find out she tried to frame someone like Hanamura or Hajime, it'll just be a sort of "oh so she's just like Maizono!" sort of deal. That's what we're expecting, but it's more likely we're going to see a lot of the parallels to DR1 subverted. I think it would be pretty boring to rehash the first game and make the obvious suspects the culprits. If Sonia turns out to be a murderer I think it would be a disappointing and boring twist, because we've already seen it with Maizono before.

Maizono never killed anyone. :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mirdini posted:

While it feels like giving Hanamura's suave ways too much credit (ridiculously so) about half-way through the update I couldn't keep this from playing in my head for the rest of his dialogue.

That said I agree with those saying he'll be an entertaining character - while definitely a creeper he doesn't seem like he'll be quite as much of a complete caricature as Yamada was so I'm interested in seeing where the writers will take him.

Oh wow, I've never actually seen that video. My grade 8 math teacher would reference it as a joke to a smug dude in my class called Nico. :v:

kvltmanifesto posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable dynamic between Togami and the chef.

Well, he seemed pretty annoyed about his weight.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

meristem posted:

Uh, sorry, no. In my case, I think he's an utter creep after I had to deal with his kind many too many times both in high school and after it. In the memory of all those creeps, I hope he dies. Real soon. And painfully, too.

Sonia, on the other hand, is OK. In fact, most of the girls so far are surprisingly level-headed.

Look, I really do know what you mean, but it's not really fair for people to be calling him a sexual predator and the like after a conversation that takes less then 20 seconds in the game itself. Like, it was creepy, sure, but the reaction is more then a little over the top.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Okay, I have to get this off my chest.

Bull-loving-poo poo she's a gymnast. She seems too tall and her breasts are too large.

EDIT: Jesus, I'm coming back to this. I would've been fine if Akane's specialty was any other sport, but gymnasts are tiny. loving hell!

That's what I was complaining about earlier. :argh:

I also found it funny how Hinata started with "Doesn't seem to have the body of a high schooler" Yeah, okay. "Has the figure of a foreign athlete."

A swing and a miss. :downsgun:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: fine, whatever, but I still think it's the tiniest littlest spoiler that 90% of speculation would include.

EDIT again: Also not reading the thread is probably a good idea anyway, I was just addressing that one thing but again it doesn't really matter

Orenonen apparently didn't consider it enough of a spoiler to avoid mentioning it Retsutalk. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

Even if you don't, for some reason, consider something that's only revealed after one finishes the game a spoiler, the fact that I left those ??? in the main menu unexplained in the first update should've suggested to you that I do. In addition, I already said as much regarding this very topic earlier in the thread, when someone else made the same mistake.

As for the contents of the thing you're talking about, it does have some slight spoilers for things other than DR1. So even on that front, no.

Without wanting to get into specifics obviously, have you decided what order you'll be doing them in yet? Possibly (I believe) the second one first? :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Don't the Yakuza kill, like, three guys a year in the entirety of Japan?

Nah, Yakuza have a tendency of rubbing out anyone who doesn't do their job on either side.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I took that as for most of her life people tended to ignore her.

I threw a vote her way this time mainly because I want to know whats up with her.

Hinata mentioned that he "Wondered what her life was like" so I'd imagine so.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yes no murders in a murder mystery game :rolleye:

Who says it's a murder mystery and not just a pseudo dating sim, hmmm? :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I don't know, I feel like the first game went a little more quickly at the beginning but perhaps that's because I jumped in halfway.

Actually playing the game, the first chapter was about the same length as the next major event of this one. That might've just been the speed I played at though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Edit: I guess I can talk about this in the general Dangan Ronpa thread instead of pestering Orenonen.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 19, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Suzuki Method posted:

This isn't as stupid as it sounds considering if they're the only two in there, there could only be one murderer. :v:

Until Kuzryuu pops out of the oven and murders Togami forcing you to prove you're not guilty, just like in Dangan Ronpa 1. :shepface:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Dumb crap.

Call Now posted:

gently caress your persistent coy spoiler bullshit.

I wouldn't call "I've been looking forward to this" much of a spoiler, considering it just happened. Not much of a spoiler that way.

HelloWinter posted:

Yeah... sorry man, that kind of comment doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

That's an entirely fair point though it's too late to edit it out now. :v:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Souda - in the hall (he's seen in the special art of everyone eating at least. Can't see him otherwise but I think he's just offscreen.)y
Hanamura - missing, probably in the kitchen?

Hanamura was also in the shot of people eating.

Mondlicht posted:

Either we're going to see a body, or Monobear just appeared in the middle of the party. Those are my guesses.

There was what I believe appears to be a camera right by Hanamura's head in the group shot, so it's not impossible.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 19, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

In the first game, everything took place in a sealed environment. There were limited opportunities to get rid of evidence and few weapons. That isn't the normally the case on the island, because anyone can dispose of evidence via the ground or sea.

Monomi's rules say that you can't litter, or something to that effect. We can't say for certain yet, but that might include disposing of evidence in the sea.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TKMobile posted:

The knife also had to come from the store

Hanamura said he was missing a knife. There was a window of time where someone could've gone into the lodge and Nagito getting there unless Monobear or Monomi still tried to enforce nobody going into the lodge after the former showed up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

zetsubous posted:

This is one thing that's really bothering me right now. I had actually been operating on the "DR2 is a prequel" theory (which has obviously now been ruined), but if this really is post-DR1 Togami, why would he ignore the rules they themselves established in the first game of not letting anyone guard anything alone?

Oh, and another thing that occurred to me: since the bathroom has been locked this whole time, we don't know for sure there's not an entrance to the lodge in there, do we? An unblocked window, for example?

Oddly enough he wouldn't let Nidai go off on his own either.

Comedy option he just wants to get on the good side of the girls. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 21, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

IceBorg posted:

And you know he was in the kitchen when he said that how? For all we know he might have been under the floor when he said that.

While I'm more of the Nagito sides of things, the "Hanamura is the culprit" theory is a second good possibility but I still can't see how he would have been able to go underground in all that darkness. There could be a second set of Night Vision Googles but how did Hanamura hid those? If he knew the blackout would happen that means that he probably hide then in the kitchen before the party started but Togami and Hinata searched the place for weapons so I don't think Togami would miss that(well he did the miss the taped knife so we never know).

We still don't know how you can go underground, if there's a entrance outside that puts more suspicion on Nanami and Kuzuryuu who were outside.

Isn't the cabin raised, anyways, so it wouldn't be underground per say?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lotus circle posted:

If Kuzuryuu was plotting murder it would be smarter for him to actually be in the lodge with everyone else, so he could have an accounted timeline during the murder. Away from the group he is without alibi and is the easiest target for accusation because he could move around freely without anyone being able to say "I saw Kuzuryuu in X place, five minutes before the murder." We also have Nanami to account for, who was in front of the lodge while the party was going on with Monomi. There's no reason to think she's lying from what was seen in my opinion.

Devil's Advocate, there's also the line of thinking that since he was nowhere near the party, how could he even be a suspect?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

slowbeef posted:

Even more to the point, I feel like one person doesn't need glow in the dark tape AND night vision. More than one person knew the blackout was coming.

If this turns out to be regular green tape, I'm going to be so annoyed.

It's supposed to be luminous.

edit: By the way, Orenonen, you mentioned you wanted to do an update a day until things picked up; Is this what you meant?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 22, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Hinata can just borrow a copy of Phoenix Wright from Chiaki to learn the basics, :v:

Pyradox posted:

Not to mention we still don't really know if it's glow in the dark tape or just bright green tape.

If I recall correctly, it's supposed to be glowing. In the game, it's much brighter then the blood.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Don't forget Monobear's claim that there's a person here who shouldn't be.

Who? Why? None of them know, maybe not even the person themself.

Or maybe they're there to kill everyone. Who knows!

That's not even considering anyone having a reason to hate someone from before. Naegi and Maizono remembered each other from before, so it's entirely possible something similar is the case here. Though we can't know until we begin to investigate.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 22, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

I didn't quite notice it before but --

Sorry. :shobon:

I have nearly beaten the game, but as a result of my abysmal reading of Japanese, I quite honestly have no idea why or how a fair amount of the game happened. If I'm speculating, my guess is as accurate as anyone else's and if it wouldn't be I wouldn't post.

Though I'll still stop posting in the thread entirely if you feel it's for the best. I love the game (or what I understood of it) and really don't want to hurt the LP.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I have only read this thread, the previous thread, and the wikipedia page if I forget the difference between several Japanese names, and somehow I know a spoiler. Not plot, not anything that matters, just what one of the ????'ed out main menu thing is going to be.

I am slowly driving myself crazy trying to figure out where I heard it from. I have read the OPs about a dozen times each trying to find it. Best guess, I think maybe it was a line in Wikipedia one day but edited out the next.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but it got pulled out for obvious reasons. I swear it wasn't me.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Orenonen, by the way, have you decided how many updates you expect to split the rest of this chapter into? About 4-5 was what I was assuming, but if you're going for every detail I'd have no idea how long that'd take.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Suzuki Method posted:

Hate to ask, but anyone reading this who's already played DR2, fan art of Owari for me?

Oh sure, that's probl-

Suzuki Method posted:

(worksafe noncreepy)

Yeah that'll cut down your options somewhat. Perhaps unsurprisingly, she, Chiaki and Nagito tend to have 'that kind' of fanart. :v:

Seriously though, this was the best thing I could find, a picture of Oowari with Hinata and Nidai that's spoiler free and as far as I can tell not terribly offensive. :v:
http://i.imgur.com/JpmIyL1.jpg

Catastrophics posted:

Actually I meant to ask earlier, but has anybody gathered together a set of spoiler free Dangan Ronpa 2 avatars like the collection someone made in the first thread? I'm sorry I can't remember your name.

I've been trying to find one of those compilations, anyone have a link to it offhand?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

I think we talked about fujoshi in the DR1 thread some specifically because it's a distinctly Japanese thing with no real direct meanings in English. Basically, it's someone who becomes a hermit, rarely if ever leaving their room, as a response to the immense and pervasive societal pressures of succeeding that Japanese culture instills, if I recall.

You're thinking of hikikomori.

Fujoshi is something completely different. It relates to yaoi fandom. Loathe as I am to know this, in brief, it's a self-deprecating term for said fans that tends to imply shipping. It's also a pun in Japanese. :eng101::japan:

orenronen posted:

I'd usually agree about the awkward usage of a word in a translation, but "despair" and "hope" are important enough keywords that I'm keeping them unless there's a very good reason not to. As said, "despair-inducing" (or sometimes simple "despairing") is my regular translation for "zetsubou-teki", which is how you turn despair into an adjective in Japanese.

Also, for whoever said Japanese simply didn't have as large a vocabulary for describing emotion, I'd have to doubt that -- there are certainly plenty of other words to describe a sense of helplessness, and the game a lot of them elsewhere in the dialogue. I'm not a native speaker, but I often have a feeling the usage of 'zetsubou' (and especially "zetsubou-teki", which is not a very natural word) is awkward there too and designed to draw attention to itself.

Speaking personally, I never heard anyone actually use the term in Japan, just like I don't think I've ever heard someone use the word 'despair' to describe their mood in Canada so I'd agree that it's probably on purpose.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 25, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I double checked what Orenonen described it as for completness' sake, so here we are.

Orenonen in DR1's second trial part 2 posted:

Syo is a self-proclaimed fujoshi. That's the female version of the otaku, usually literally translated as "rotten girl". Fujoshi like obsessing over male anime characters and read and draw manga involving them loving each other. Syo also strives to become a Kifujin. That's the term used for fujoshi who remain fangirls even as they grow older. Kifujin is a pun on a word that sounds the same and means "a noblewoman", but written with the "fu" character that means "rotten" - the same one as in "fujoshi" itself.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh I knew lots of them could not speak it so I just assumed that reading was the same. Still I learned something new.

Yeah, even in more rural areas like Ibiraki, English characters are pretty common. As a random example, say 7/11. The signs on the store are in English.

zetsubous posted:

Well, don't mislead anyone -- there is a sign outside the door that says the name of the store in English (which is actually Seven i Holdings, for whatever reason) but it's not like the signs inside the store are in English.

Yeah I worded that badly.

I have no idea why it's Seven & i Holdings though, I swear, I checked every single one I passed. :iiam:

My only guess is that they weren't ever operated from 7 to 11? The name wasn't originally Seven & i Holdings either.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 26, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twiddy posted:

That's the beautiful thing. It doesn't feel like we're over complicating the first trial, it just looks like it was that much of a clusterfuck. The game's graduated to overcomplicated messes early because it's a sequel. Hell, I half feel we're gonna get a corpse moving reveal, depending on which one of the many different potential murderers is accused.

Overall, this first case is enjoyable.

It doesn't hurt that a two or three days between updates makes everyone sift through every detail as closely as possible. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Carotid posted:

Yeah, I was confused by this too. I mostly skim the discussion since it gets pretty lengthy, so maybe that's why I didn't get it without the context of the thread.

I thought he was trying to imply it was fanservice which seemed really weird.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It's really odd that this game is throwing us so much for a loop. By this time in DR1 we knew without a shadow of a doubt that Leon had been responsible, but in here our most likely culprit could still be a red herring for somebody else.

I like DR2's trials more then any of the first game's because of this. Sakura's trial was a little harder, but 2/3 was pretty much washes.

Nanomashoes posted:

What is it with Japanese villains and constructing elaborate versions of Mt. Rushmore with their faces on it?

Because they're cool, duh. :colbert:

Er, 16 - Maizono - 'Junko' = 14.

16 - Togami = 15.

Where do you get 'two more then last time' from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jeek posted:

I don't know why we have stoner gamer now, but :iia: and I approve of it 100%.

How else do you expect her to beat Ultimate Hacky Sack 2013? :colbert:

• Locked thread