Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I really like the idea of our protgonist being an impostor student. If he worshipped Hope's Peak all along and now all he remembers is showing up at this classroom, all the mindfuck stuff could be his confused brain trying to make the memory mismatch make sense. In this game's version of the timeskip, maybe he tried to sneak into the school or something, but now he doesn't remember it anymore so he figures he really got accepted. I would be really impressed if they pull some of this unreliable narrator stuff. (Especially after missing out on Mastermind Naegi)

I'm trying to reason my way through whether this game is a prequel. We don't see the metal plates and cameras and all in this classroom yet, so that's one argument in favor. If this was after DR1 it seems weird for Monobear to actually remove that stuff. But then again, we're supposed to have some kind of beach setting.

So my guess is, this classroom is actually just one shoddily-constructed room sitting in the middle of some island jungle somewhere. This is why the magic monobunny is giving her intro here instead of the stadium. And after explaining the rules, they walk outside into loving wilderness cause it's Lord of the Flies time.

This doesn't give me any better idea of the timeframe, but never mind. I guess we'll get more clues soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Any doubts I had about whether this new bunny thing could make a worthy successor to Monobear were completely blown away by that theme music.

I can buy this anagram guy being Naegi all along. It would fit with how he was the first character we saw instead of our protagonist, giving him some special importance. Even his hair going all crazy like that would be pretty fitting for someone who's been getting by in a post-apocolyptic despair society for a while. I wonder how much of their memory's been zapped away, though? Even if they got the Kirigiri super amnesia treatment, they'd be left with a much bigger gap than the others that would be far more suspicious to them. And Togami would have a lot more questions about what happened to his body!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

EchoPrima posted:

Doesn't the fact that the purpose of this school trip is to teach the students about hope and friendship make the possibility of DR1's Naegi and Togami showing up kind of pointless?

But who says that is the purpose? I liked an earlier suggestion that this is a bit of reverse psychology by SHSL Despair to try and improve on their last murder game. Last time the students were cornered into murder and despair right off the bat, but they ended up getting the will to resist and overcome despair. And Monobear was always so harshly accused of being the real villain, pushing them to it instead of the students choosing murder on their own!

SHSL Despair can't take that kind of embarrassment again, this time they'll start out plugging "hope", casting their mascot MC as a creepy strawman hope so that's what the students end up rebelling against. Then they'll show how even in this nice peaceful atmosphere of hope, these warped and twisted students will turn on each other. Despair!

I think it's working quite well. All this "hope flower" stuff really came off to me as Usami trying to fatten them up on hope like pigs.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

LateToTheParty posted:

So if there is a SHSL Good Luck chosen every year by Hope's Peak Academy and graduating from it means a certain success in life, than what careers would these Lucksters get by simply being lucky? I guess there is gambling and the stock market but what else is there? Also the idea of one of the SHSL Good Luck graduates having "Graduated as SHSL Good Luck from Hope's Peak Academy" on their résumé amuses me.

It is an interesting question. Presumably they'd succeed the same way normal Japanese kids succeed from going through the right schools without any special SHSL celebrity title. It would normally be all about the connections, but would this work against you in Hope's Peak? People would expect you to already be known as an expert in something from being a Hope's Peak student, so if you're not, then... what happens?

The idea that they're researching the effect of luck gives me this great mental image of them trying to seriously examine bootstraps culture. Like if some reasearcher all fired up from reading SA threads about Occupy Wall Street decided they needed to scientifically prove that any random schmuck you pick off the street could be guaranteed success in life if you stick them in this school.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This was a nice introduction to Souda. SHSL Mechanic is a really practical and useful specialty for once. And I also love how his personality is contrasted with his creepy appearance. I hope he gets to stick around a while.

But if there's no plane engines for Souda to work on, surely Gundam can let us escape by breeding up a Gold Chocobo. From hamsters.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

E: sorry, ignore this post, my phones loving up so I'll try and use a real computer next time

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MrCinos posted:

Another Chuunibyou in this anime season had the similar one while being in Dark Flame Master mode:

Until today, I was blissfully unaware of this whole Chuunibyou thing. But after hearing all these explanations and someone showing me this same anime to give me a crash course, I now realize I have seen one chuunibyou before: one of the pigeon characters from Hatoful Boyfriend. Gundam just lost a lot of cred with me cause now I can't help comparing him to that stupid pigeon.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Dangan Ronpa can make this trope palatable, though.

quote:

Even if they're the same height, Hagakure and Komaeda have completely different features, face shapes and eye/skin colors. Unless there's a super high school level plastic surgeon roaming the post-apocalyptic world, it seems pretty much impossible that Hagakure would be able to change his appearance that drastically.

As much as I'd love to see more DR1 characters hiding somewhere, Hagakure would probably be the least likely since how bloody old is he now?!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Very Notable posted:

For somebody who hates junk food he sure triggers the song a lot.

He hates the theme music for giving away his creepy intentions!

I think what bothers me the most about Hanamura in this update is actually the nosebleed sprite. I just hate the whole nosebleed trope and it makes his behavior look visually gross as well as sounding gross. But as a SHSL cook/chef, he's bound to have some other interesting things to talk about besides thongs. I just hope we get to that point soon.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

meristem posted:

Sonia, on the other hand, is OK. In fact, most of the girls so far are surprisingly level-headed.

Maybe this is meant to be a step away from the last game, where the girls included the main psycho antagonist, her supersoldier twin sister, and a SHSL serial killer.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

idonotlikepeas posted:

We have sixteen characters in this game right now, not counting Usami. That makes sense, right? Except, wait, one of the students is Fatogami.

Let's assume for a moment that Fatogami is Togami, because with his name being the same and his appearance being the same (with weight gain), I don't see another reasonable explanation for him. (I don't understand how or why he's here, but presumably that will become clear eventually.) He's definitely not a member of this Hope's Peak class, because he's in the DR1 class. And Hinata has some weirdly ambiguous relationship with the school - he's absolutely certain he's a Hope's Peak student, but we're not.

So, if that's the case, we've got at least one missing student from this class, and potentially two. Where are they? It does raise the possibility that we might have another hidden character situation. I don't know what they'd do with it, though; just making that character the Monowhatever controller would be too much like the first game.

I was thinking about this as well. I think it would still be a nice twist to bring in a hidden student in this game, since they're making it look like they're avoiding it this time by having 16 students right off the bat. And this time maybe we could actually interact with the 16th student instead of having them revealed as a dead body.

If the hidden student isn't the mastermind, maybe they could be stranded on one of the other islands, separated from the rest until we open up Island #3 or whatever. Maybe they could be a SHSL Survivalist, so the mastermind thought this was appropriate for them. In any case, if there's a hidden student that isn't the mastermind this time, I'd have to bet on Nagito now to be the mastermind hiding in plain sight, just cause this SHSL luck stuff is extremely fishy unless he really is future Naegi. But it's looking less and less likely the more he talks.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those transition screens from the walking video have even me wondering now about the computer simulation theory. I don't really like this theory. It feels like too much of a cop-out from the more "realistic" feel of DR1 (in terms of consequences for the character's lives, at least) But it's an odd contrast to this nice pretty natural setting, and it keeps coming up.

Moving on to Togami, it's great to finally see him. Does the game actually force you to talk to him last? Or can you run over that bridge to the central island right from the start? I love that he's grilling Hinata right off the bat about his SHSL skill, and hope he never lets up.

I like the idea that his weight gain is to deter Syo (and the coffee is to stay awake so he's not murdered in his sleep), and despair-induced depression eating is definitely a realistic idea. But one other explanation could be disguising his age? If Togami's infiltrating this group, he'd be really old for a high school student now, as bad as Hagakure. Assuming this takes place after DR1, they'd already had 2 years worth of memories erased, and there's also been enough time afterwards for him to pack on all those pounds. Maybe I'm just thinking this cause my huge cousins have baby faces, but it could be a way to try and distract from the real reason he looks so different from everyone else?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Magic Stick seems to have more of a magical girl feel to it, I think. Like a magic wand is too pedestrian, that's for stodgy old wizards, a real magical girl has a rainbow kaleidoscope stick or mirror heart rod or something.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I can't see Usami as being opposed to Monobear. It's got to be a game of good cop/bad cop. Even if the game didn't spoil us right away on the existence of Monomi, or show us that army of evil red-eyed Usamis in the opening, her theme music is just too creepy for a benevolent character. Also, the fact that this batch of students has also had their memories toyed with makes it hard to believe there was ever a good intention behind this field trip.

I'm also super excited to see Monobear show up. I was being so patient and laid-back till now, thinking I'm going to just chill and not obsessively check for updates, but after this one... the cliffhangers are back in full force and I'm going rabid like it was Chapter 5.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SHSL Werewolf is my new favorite character.

Cyrai posted:

This was the only other thing that especially stood out to me. The comment about the rules being 'usual' seems to strongly imply that this has happened before. If that's the case, it seems likely that this game takes place after DR1.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced now that it's a direct sequel. Monobear made a few of these comments, like "it's been a while", like he's playing it up for the audience. Since we still have security cameras stationed around, it seems likely that things are being broadcast again to try and counter the DR1 cast's victory with more despair propoganda.

I also really liked how the jocks banded together straight away to confront Monobear, but I doubt they can stand up to Monovoltron. I hope they don't back down too soon. This place isn't as literally locked down as the DR1 school building was, they should at least try and use their SHSL skills to make a boat out of coconuts or something. And then maybe that could lead to the first murder, as the more anxious types like Mikan doubt whether they would make it or not... it would be extra despair-inducing if Monobear doesn't ever crack down on anyone's personal escape attempts, but it's other students who foil these attemps because they don't have enough hope to escape on their own terms.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

lotus circle posted:

It's just the odd coloration of the original sprites. Her hair is technically a very light pink, but the color makes it come out as blond. Meanwhile some CG images show her hair as more blond than pink (like the magazine covers). I just see her hair as blond with a very light tint of pink, possibly coming from dying her hair. But hey, who knows? Maizono has blue hair and Kirigiri has light purple hair, so it's perfectly normal in the world to have odd hair colors.

I figure her hair would be black, like her twin sister. Whatever color the giant puffball on her head is, it would be a wig, which would be par for the course as a SHSL gal.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ah, it's so good to hear the main Dangan Ronpa theme music again! And I'm glad that Monomi could fill in the fake Junko role, so we won't be down an extra character so early.

What stood out to me the most in this update though, was Hajime's thoughts - how he wasn't sure about himself, if he wouldn't be tempted to kill as well. It really underlines how different our protaganist is this time around.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Since this story takes place about 1-2 years before DR1, maybe Junko sounds even crazier than expected because she's even less mature.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sonia's speech in this update was great. She almost sounded like she'd be ready to Occupy Jabberwock Island. It would be nice if more royalty shared her alternative ideas.

My second vote goes to Nagito cause I really want to find out what his deal is.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Now I really want to pan back and forth across the courtroom to see the two halves of Monobear objecting to each other. The light side already has Phoenix's suit, so the evil side could be Manfred von Kuma.

Getting back to the story, I wonder if Mahiru is the SHSL photographer in a journalism sense. Before with her having such a bad reaction to Togami declaring himself leader, and now with her getting directly in the hostile gangster's face, it's like she wants to question the powerful figures and try and hold them accountable or something. Her backing of Sonia the literal royal figure seems weird then, but not when you consider her hangups about gender roles. She may associate men with abuse of power and privilege, so she'd want to back the most natural choice for a female leader. This is half speculation and half wishful thinking, since it would let me see her embarrassing "aren't you ashamed as a man?" comments as more nuanced with a sarcastic intent.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I was so preoccupied with thinking about the latestplot developments that I completely forgot for a second that this happened:

orenronen posted:

But I am no average person. I am Byakuya Togami. And I can make it happen!

Kupiiii! This is so cool Ibuki’s going numb!!

Hoh hoh! I am in complete agreement!

Hanamura's going all nosebleed sprite over Togami now? :stonk:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rangpur posted:

Is Japanese gymnastics considered a full-contact sport or something? Beacause drat. Akane shows a lot more interest in violence than her SHSL specialty.

Maybe that new method of gymnastics she invented was something like this:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My Japanese vocabulary sucks balls, but I am always going to remember the word for carrot now...

Fedule posted:

Fortunately, the version we went with is obvious enough that the pun should come through even if you read it "wrong".

Is that what made the decision for you guys? I do like the final version, since "cadavers" is just a funnier-sounding word than "carrion". And the continuation of the word seems to stand better on its own. "rion!" feels weak to me compared to "davers!"

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kuzuryuu is the new Justice Robo. This is getting way too suspicious. But I don't see why Peko would have killed him already. She would look pretty obviously guilty for being the last one to know his whereabouts or see any sign of him for a while... Maybe it's the other way around, and Kuzuryuu is taking advantage of a chance to operate without any other students watching him. He could be hoarding up on weapons from the store, for instance.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sherringford posted:

Anybody who likes many types of meat should go to one of those restaurants at least once. They have tons of restaurants based around that type of food around North America too, just search for it under "Brazilian steakhouse" and you'll find one around your area. They are getting really popular, there are like 3 or four Brazilian steakhouses around Toronto so I imagine there must be more around the US.

Oh and it's probably worth noting - don't bring a vegetarian friend there. It's not a good idea. At all. Unless you are trying to be a prick in which case it's brilliant.

When I went to Fogo de Chao in Chicago though, they had a seriously high-class salad bar. Like good enough to even compete with the meat. So if a bunch of you were going for churrasco anyway you wouldnt have to leave your vego friend behind. However, they may get angry with you for tempting them so much cause that meat was amazing.

(I've been 99% vego for the last 3 years so most meat tastes less appealing to me now, but this is one place I would cheat so hard)

Sorry for the derail, but Tubgami is a bad influence on me. He really has become such an appealing character now, though. He seems to have really taken Chapter 4's lessons about the human element to heart. And having a visible "weakness" like his lack of appetite control does a lot to humanize him, compared to his stock aloof elite character in the last game.

E: whoops, meant chapter 4

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 19, 2013

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ugh, I was yelling at the screen like a horror movie this whole update. Why was Togami just letting people wander off? Okay, have Peko the sword-girl be assigned to guard the case, that's fine, but why does she have to do it out of sight of everybody else? The whole point of this party was to have everyone gathered together to keep an eye on each other! What better place to guard it than right there in the main hall, where everyone can see if something happens?

Well, the power outage would've still hosed things up, so guarding the circuit breakers was a good idea, but why have only 1 person guarding it all by themselves? And why was Togami fine with Chiaki wandering off by herself too? This whole thing just turned ridiculous. I'm disappointed in you, Togami. :mad:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Armanky posted:

Syo was fun in her own way though. I like how after a while it just didn't really bother anybody that she had proudly murdered dozens of innocent men in cold blood. :psyduck:

This always was a weird thing about DR1, but I wouldn't say it didn't bother anybody, exactly. What could they really do about her? They're trapped together and watching out for potential attacks from anyone, so what's one more person to suspect? Why call her out and risk getting some special attention from her when you could just try and discreetly avoid her, and why try to target her to kill when she's got way more experience than you?

I'm still hoping DR0 will shed some light on how much Hope's Peak knew about Syo, though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Waffleman_ posted:

To avoid DR2 spoilers, just don't go anywhere else except this thread. And don't go outside, either. There are people out there who might know who the mastermind is. Just keep yourself locked in your room, subsisting on a diet of delivery pizza. Except you always request a delivery guy who doesn't play video games and have all transactions take place through your mail slot.

Spoiler-free, forever.

But what if your odd requests make them catch on? And some spiteful worker in the kitchen thinks "haha, I'll show Mister Picky-About-His-Delivery-Drivers!" and scribbles "NAGITO IS JUNKO" on the inside of the pizza lid?!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jeek posted:

The wounds are all between the throat and the stomach, so whatever the reason Togami didn't scream, it is not from an attack on the throat. Also, if Peko wants to murder somebody, it is unwise of her to choose stabbing as she is the one most proficient of doing so.

On the diagram though, it sure looks like he got one stab right in the throat:

So I think "between the abdomen and the throat" is inclusive.

But anyway, my main question is, what's Pekoyama doing just waltzing in like nothing happened? "Oh, is that Togami?" How about "hey, who knocked me out and turned off the power?" "Why'd I wake up in the bathroom?" or something along those lines to explain why she went completely AWOL from guard duty? She better get some more interrogation from people in the next update.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hmmmmm... Nagito is already really suspicious, and he looks even more suspicious in this photo. He's standing right near the aircon and not far at all from the lamp end of the table where the knife is stashed, and instead of getting into the party, it looks like he's seriously lingering around that spot. Maybe he was glancing at the timer expecting it to go off soon, wanting to be ready to grab right for the knife as quickly as possible.

If Nagito really does turn out to be guilty of either murder or attempted murder, I'm going to go one further and guess that he's the drat mastermind cause his whole story gets more fishy with every update. As the viewers, we know that his SHSL Good Luck story is some kind of bullshit. If he'd really been Naegi all along, he'd have good reason for his bullshit. But the height difference and personality difference suggest that he's not. And he's not only stolen Naegi's SHSL Good Luck act. He's also stolen Naegi's SHSL Hope act. What if this is completely on purpose and he stole his fake anagram name off of Naegi too? He goes on so, so much about hope this and despair that that it feels like another straw-man routine, like Monomi might be.

Whether or not it's Nagito though, this murder game so far seems to be designed by someone who must have been familiar with Junko's run. Having school trials to begin with couldn't be a standard part of the SHSL Despair playbook, since Junko's own twin sister wasn't in on that plan beforehand. Monobear's remark about the estranged sister routine might be just an in-joke to us as viewers, or it could be an in-joke the mastermind's making to themselves since they've also watched DR1's reality show all the way through. This would mean they had to know about Togami from the start. This would be reason to target him first. So instead of trying to blackmail people or betray a convenient twin sister, what if this mastermind decided to have things done right by doing it themself? They could get the murder games started while eliminating Togami, thus killing two birds with one stone. And as the one in charge of the elaborate and showy execution devices, the mastermind could easily fake their own death after letting themselves get found guilty. (then if it's Mr. Let's Still Have Hope,Guys! who's found guilty, it would be extra despair-inducing...)

Sorry, I know this is way too early to speculate so far, but Nagito is just so drat fishy I can't think about anything else right now. Also, I'm just kind of hoping this is right cause it'll be like my favorite DR1 fanart sort of becoming true:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Why would the murderer even need to hide a tablecloth like that? It doesn't matter how messy they leave the crime scene when it's a closed-room murder full of other people who have no idea who did the stabbing. Just shove it under the table along with Togami's bloody body, who cares?

Unless the tablecloth was already in the storage room! A spare one, left in the laundry. Nagito could have rushed over there to wipe off some blood before anybody saw it. Since he was the one who said the last "Ow!" he might have injured himself in the scuffle with Togami. Not expecting Togami to rush him with night-vision, or not expecting someone else to stab him with a skewer, Nagito could have slipped and cut himself on his own knife in the confusion. If it wasn't a serious cut and on somewhere like the palm of his hand, he could have hidden it long enough to dash off to the storage room and grab something out of the laundry to stop the bleeding.

But that's a lot of blood for just a cut on his hand or something... still the best guess I've got, though. Whether or not this detail is correct, Nagito saying the last "Ow!" is a big clue that he was involved somehow when Togami got killed.

Edit for one quick thing I forgot: the poisoned food only affecting Pekoyama might be some SHSL bad luck for Nagito. We were all surprised too that no one else had bothered eating any yet, how could Nagito plan for who would eat and how much? (except Akane... with all she ate I think it's just her SHSL werewolf powers or something protecting her for comedy value) I think whoever planted the poison would've been trying to just poison everybody. Maybe someone who was planning to use a skewer to stab someone lying on the ground?

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 2, 2013

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This business about only 2 people eating the food was really bugging me. But looking back at the earlier updates, it checks out. It looks like the others really didn't have a chance to eat yet while Akane was devouring everything at the first possible second:

orenronen posted:

...Why aren't you eating? If you don't I’m gonna finish everything by myself!
I'm still bringing the food in, so don't worry - there's plenty more!
Hey, everyone! Since we're all here, should I take some pictures?
Oh, how wonderful! Please do!

The others are still standing back and only have drinks in their hands, which we can also see in Mahiru's 2 photos:

Although Akane started devouring everything at the first second and wondered why the others aren't joining in, Hanamura's still bringing more, so they don't seem to be in a rush. And immediately after that comment, Mahiru takes her photos, which are shortly followed by the blackout.

How's Akane doing now? Peko would've had first dibs at the food once she walked off with her personal plate, while Akane was busy drooling and whining about how she still had to wait. Peko has a bit of a head start, so maybe Akane just hasn't started showing her own symptoms yet.

But there's actually one other person Nagito distinctly failed to mention, who definitely got a faceful of food:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Brony Hunter posted:

Didn't the Monobear report mention Togami hadn't been poisoned at all? Guess that rules out Peko getting sick from the food.

Maybe whatever it was doesn't count as "poison"... actually, the real reason this point bugged me so much is because a laxative would explain Nidai's problem, but he didn't eat anything. I just remembered though, his issues with the crapper go back to the very first update, so this seems to be a running theme completely unrelated to the murder. He just forgot to go before the party and paid the price.

We really need to see how Akane's doing. Her sprite was visible in the room after Togami's murder, but she hasn't said anything, and she didn't appear to be present anymore once the official investigation started. Maybe she's off being sick somewhere now that it caught up with her.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

IceBorg posted:

And in a related issue people were talking about Nidai also getting poisoned because he stole some food but, and I may be remembering wrong here, isn't he talking about going to the toilet a character quirk of him? I think I remember him mentioning going to the toilet a couple of times in the game before, so him waiting to go now isn't that strange.

From the first update:

quote:

Before we try to figure out why we've been gathered here, we need to figure out why we can't leave.
Huh? Whadd’ya mean we can't leave?!
Eh?! N...No way!
He ran up to the door in panic, and pulled on the doorknob with all his strength.
I...It won' open! Why won' it open?!
...Eh?! What's going on?!
Right after we came here, I felt an urge and figured I’d go use the crapper...
But that door wouldn't budge an inch!

And of course there was this moment:

quote:

If we wish to live through this extraordinary ordeal, what do you think is of the utmost importance right now?
Feh, how should we know? Just hurry up and get to the point.
If you want me to get to the point, answer my question.
...Of the utmost importance? You don't mean food and sleep, do you?
Ku... you're forgetting bowel movements.
EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, poo poo WELL! THERE’S YOUR ANSWER!!

That great tamagotchi edit someone posted a bit ago fits him more and more.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This poison vs sickness vs whatever issue is frustrating me, but one thing to remember is that Nagito's the one pushing the "only Akane and Peko ate it, guys!" angle. It could be his attempt to throw suspicion somewhere else... which we can then shut down with the Monobear file, or with a bullet of Akane's testimony if she turns out to be fine.

That leaves it as a very convenient coincidence though, that the guard got sick right after she went on guard duty. You'd think she wouldn't volunteer for that if she was already feeling sick. Unless that really was her plan, to curl up alone out of the way in a quiet room to try and feel better?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wonder if the only reason Nagito wanted to investigate Togami's room is because he knew already there was something like this to find. If he sent the letter, this just makes me more convinced he's actually the mastermind. It really seems tailored just to gently caress with Togami's head and appeal to his sense of duty. It's like Nagito was prepared to make the first murder happen himself to get the ball rolling, but just like in the first game, someone unexpectedly stepped forward to start things off on their own initiative.

Kuzuryuu seems to be crossed off the suspect list now, so I'm leaning towards Hanamura as the main suspect. Since he'd also have time to get familiar with the lodge and the crawlspace, and hide the skewer. But this could be blown out of the water once we learn how those fire doors work.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Vyxzuw posted:

Also, the bathroom is still locked even though we found Peko in the office later. That's why when we see her in the office, we tell her to go to her hotel and not the bathroom. So it seems the bathroom is locked without anyone in it.

I've been figuring the bathroom must be hiding the access to the crawlspace, but now that it's been pointed out how far away it is, compared to the equally susicious storage room, it seems a lot more unlikely. Maybe Nagito or the real killer locked it just to introduce some more chaos into Togami's plan. If people are wandering off having to use the bathroom, it creates more potential suspects to point at and defend themselves.

But where the hell WAS Peko anyway, if not in the bathroom? That's the one thing I still can't figure out at all. If she was in the office all along and Souda's just lying, why would she go along with it saying how we must suspect her since she wasn't at her post?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've been thinking about the motive. Hanamura doesn't really seem like the type to kill. I mean he's been in denial and pretending that this is all a bad dream and this isn't real. So what could make him snap? I have an idea.

It's because of his excessive denial that I think he'd actually be just fine to kill, while still denying it in his head. But catching on to Nagito's plans with the knife and the blackout could have easily been the trigger.

For an execution method, I'm imagining roasting him on a spit while Monobear hosts a festive tropical luau. Of course, burying him alive in an earth oven would be the more authentic way to cook him, but while this would be truly gruesome for Hanamura to go through there wouldn't be much for the student audience to watch.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Aquapainter posted:

I was pretty confident that Komaeda would be this messed up in the head, but I didn't expect them to show this full an extent of how crazy he is so quickly. I'm glad that it's much more likely from our unused evidence that he didn't kill Togami, because this kind of character is just going to be ridiculously interesting to have around later on.

drat, these 2 updates have been amazing. I'd convinced myself like 5 updates ago Nagito must be the mastermind or something, and I was pretty much hoping for something exactly like this, but I was still taken aback. His creepy as hell voice acting and the new sprites really make the difference. It's only the first goddamn trial and we're already at Junko levels of fabulous psychosis. I can't even imagine how they're going to top this in later chapters. I mean, I'm sure they will, I just honestly can't imagine it.

It's like he gets off on hope the same way Junko gets off on despair, except what makes hope even better? Hanging onto that hope even in the worst despair! So rather than fight against the SHSL Despair organization, he's totally on board with it. It would seem much more heroic and beautiful to try and cling to hope in a horrific world, than to just live a normal life in a world where people are mostly happy. He's probably a fanboy of Naegi and emulating him because Naegi's heroic SHSL Hope at the end of Junko's murder games must have been the best Hopegasm ever.

But with the reveal this early, I'm starting to think Nagito must be the Mukuro of this game. The Monomi to the Monobear in charge. He honestly thinks he's going to prove Hope wins over all, but the real mastermind calling the shots doesn't give a poo poo since they get such a perfect mole out of the deal.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Spatula City posted:

:iia:
Seriously, showing Nagito to be an absolute nutter this early in the game is a great decision on the part of the game's writers. I can't wait to see how they all interact with Nagito going forward now that they know he's batshit insane.

A cheap story would shamelessly leave that revelation hanging until the endgame! Can you imagine?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kanfy posted:

It's probably a bit too spoilerrific for an avatar.

I can see why they're tempted though, I'd want a crazy Nagito avatar too... hm, maybe I could get away with something using one of his freakier "normal" sprites. Ah! Maybe something like this?

god damnt komaeda
what the gently caress is
wrong with you

• Locked thread