Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I like so many of the characters already. The androgynous suited kid (suits look great on everyone ever), Lightning McEyebrows, the two goth ravers at the back, the super-polite Classic Lolita girl (who I will presently dub as Alice)...

And they're all probably going to die! Bugger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Y'know, the insight to what the staff of Hope's Peak are trying to achieve has kind of changed the tone of the series a lot.

Before it was just... taken for granted that Hope's Peak takes gifted kids because they are The Best School, top of the league tables and all that jazz. Now that it's mentioned that the kids are being monitored and researched, the establishment seems a lot less great. Supernaturally gifted? We'll experiment on you!

Now, all we need to know now are the nature of the experiments. If they're simulations, then, well.

Edit: I'm loving Beautiful Ruin just as much as I loved Beautiful Dead/Morning in Dangan Ronpa. The most mysterious beach stroll you'll ever have.

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 14, 2012

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

I do wonder why Monobear hasn't turned up yet. It's not as if the game makes no reference - he's on the company logo splash screen.

I'm feelin' that he'll appear once we have all of the introductions. Maybe be the 'enforcer' of punishments, in case someone decides to... litter.

I actually like Gundam a smidge less now that I know what he does. I don't know what I could possibly be hoping for (SHSL Ninja would never have been a thing), but him rearing rare and dangerous animals would definitely explain his scar, and why he keeps one arm padded with bandages. That, and the BF has a similar career, so I am going to tease him with Gundam Tanaka jokes all the drat time now.

I love Souda's neon-as-gently caress design. If I was a terrible person I would say it reminded me of that one Chip/Electro artist who's depicted as a neon anthropomorphic shark (I don't know either), but I'm not a terrible person, so.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

The nurse doesn't really feel so much of a DR1 parallel, but to the Doctor in Virtue's Last Reward, Luna. Are 'Incredibly Shy Woman Medics' a major archetype in Japanese media? At the very least I grew to like Luna's character a whole lot, so all things willing the same will happen for the SHSL Nurse.

I never really gave K-On my time, but if there's a character like Ibuki in it, I'll watch an episode or two.

It was mentioned in the developer commentary for the last game that the characters were designed like they all came from different genres of media - they've definitely cranked that up to 11 for this. I love it, though.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Rith posted:

Where have people got the impression that we need 100 Hope Shards to leave the island? All we've been told, as far as I can tell, is that we need all the hope shards; the only indication of number is the six spaces for each student, which imply there are 90 for each person to collect.

If anything, I could see a murder element being added in that dead students remove their necessary shards from the equation. Though even that would mess with the formula established in DR1.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

orenronen posted:

...For those keeping track, pin-up art will be up soon. I actually forgot to prepare the images ahead.

Edit: They're up.

While you're about, was there ever much character artwork of the same resolution for DR1? The artwork in the first thread was scaled down, and as before I'm reluctant to google anything Dangan Ronpa-related. It's silly, I know...

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

orenronen posted:

Civilization is much akin to fruit. Shortly after ripening it will rot, and, without fail, fall.
Growing wealth makes fanatics of private enterprises. Bureaucrats shape the law into a tool that serves only to keep them in power.
As a result, the weight of vested interest sinks the country into conservatism, and all attempts at reform are crushed...

...It truly is a sad state of affairs.

Okay, this character?

Best character. I was not expecting that, and it gave me the widest smile ever.

And this made me smile equally.

So it's Sonia and Gundam for me, please!

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

By the way, Oren, is there any more DR2 fanart you're a fan of? I figure it would be better to ask you rather than going hunting.

Bonus points if it's of Gundam. :ssh:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

It's super easy if you watch the right kung-fu movies. The poet will fight with a giant calligraphy brush and the fisherman will make kicking some huge, muscle-bound, jerk's rear end with a fishing pole look like a total accident.

God drat I love bad kung-fu movies

Daggers 8. Features a guy who runs a noodle store and proceeds to trash everyone with oversized chopsticks. It was my dad's favourite kung-fu movie, and now it's mine too!

It's a kind of a shame that Sakura didn't get such treatment in DR1. Her Style of the SHSL Schoolgirl cannot be beaten. It involves running with toast in your mouth.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

If it's not super disruptive, I wanted to ask the thread about mystery storylines in video games (since I'm sure I've seen some big mystery fans in the thread, and because asking in the DR general one may well result in Spoilertown).

Do you think Dangan Ronpa 1/2 handle their mystery elements well? While I love the mystery genre, I'm often a huge idiot and can't solve mysteries ahead of time unless they're well foreshadowed. Still, I figured the way the mysteries in DR1 were handled well, especially the locked-room mystery in Case 4. I think it was Case 4 - the one with 3 people admitting to it at the same time.

But I also wonder how these mysteries are written. There's obviously a method for writing rational, solvable mysteries in novels, but often what works in prose writing (or even film writing) doesn't work the same way for video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Because of the way the text and graphics "glitch" out right there.

I mean, I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the VR theory, but I can certainly see where someone might get that idea.

That, and it being immediately followed by:

The cybernetic motif isn't especially subtle. I also noticed that the new island with the entertainment district seems to have a whole bunch of glowing cubes on it at night, in a way that doesn't imply lit windows or street/spotlights.

Whether or not its VR doesn't feel super relevant, though. I see it more like how Hopes Peak was sealed off - An excuse to set aside theories of outside influences affecting events.

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 13, 2013

• Locked thread