Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

slowbeef posted:

This thread is full of a lot of ... kinda crummy posts.

There's a couple rulebreaking low-content things that I've hit for, but this is pretty much 11 pages of repeated posts like "Here's what I think about the art of this one character, and who it could possibly be a retread of in the first game" ad nauseum. I understand there's obviously not much to talk about based on one update, but it's mostly 11 pages of just that.

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.
Yeah, I sometimes enjoyed reading the speculation and discussion in the first thread, but... the thread already had thirteen pages by the time I found it, half a day into its life. That's pretty absurd. Skimming through trying to find Orenronen's and Fedule's posts, it looked like a pretty repetitive stampede to wonder aloud, "oh boy, what's going to happen?". I'm already wishing there was something like the "?" filter that worked for two authors at once.

I guess things might slow down after the initial excitement wanes. Hopefully, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have they dropped the SHSL titles for DR2? Or is it something we'll see in a later update? (Just wondering as it only gave the names in the opening credits video, compared to the original going through them with "Name: X, SHSL: Y" at the start)

Well, the cast haven't even introduced themselves to each other yet. So I think it's a little premature to start wondering whether they have titles, based on the style of the "credits" video. Remember that with Naegi, he went and looked all his classmates up, so we already knew all about them beforehand.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the only thing you're storing in fat is calories, energy. You need a lot more than energy from food.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ahahaa. So, Nagito isn't Naegi, he's just someone like him in almost every way. This is great.

Also of note: The map's menu icon strongly implies that this island features a volcano. Fun!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

orenronen posted:

[Speech clip icons before text]
Fair enough. That's the way it's going to be moving forward (and I'll probably edit the existing updates soon).

Dang. I was going to speak up in opposition to that change, since it seemed like it'd be awkward and read less smoothly. Could the icon be made more visible some other way? Say, a red outline?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

That’s rather a pessimistic attitude, isn’t it? Don’t you think you should have more... hope... than that?
This line is absolutely hilarious. The developers are REALLY having fun with this pseudo-Naegi.

He's behaving like a parody of Naegi, notably a slight exaggeration of his "gets along with everyone" personality. Naegi had very few rough edges (he got forceful when it mattered) and here they've apparently been shaved off, leaving someone... aggressively bland? I'm not quite reading him clearly.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, based on what we've seen from Nagito so far, a witty put-down seems rather out of character, and that line comes pretty close to being one. As cool of a line as it would have been.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Really, the problem is small and simple: Fedule occasionally assumes that every reader has the same thought process as him. That's just not gonna happen. All the other comments have been great and entertaining, but...

When he said "Don't bother looking it up", I assumed he meant they're the same. Since that's the direction things had been going in.

When examining the "pet" part of the menu, he said something like "wait, is that--" then gets cut off. Great, I had no idea what he supposedly recognizes. I just left that section confused, after staring intently at that picture for another minute.

"Yes, dear reader, your suspicion is correct" I... I wasn't suspecting anything. What was I supposed to be suspecting?

All of these things had to be cleared up in the thread chat afterward. Because they didn't actually communicate anything. They really just amount to a "are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I got the Ikubi joke just fine, and I'm far from any sort of japanophile. She was being silly, and saying each of those things were from her own name. Haha, wacky behavior. I don't understand why this is a sticking point?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

About how far into the LP do you expect to be by the time you post the end of the novel translation? And how relevant is the stuff we'd learn in the novel to DR2? Maybe don't answer the second one, actually, for the spoiler potential.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Don't go on tumblr at all ,people do not tag their poo poo and whelp at least I know [a thing]

Thanks for confirming that's even a thing that exists this time around, even if you didn't specify. You're really great at not stepping on people's entirely-blind encounter with this game. "Yeah but dude that's not really a spoiler, surely you could have assumed --" no, let me stop you there, remember the catchphrase from the last thread: You do not get to decide for other people what is and isn't a spoiler. I wasn't assuming that, I was prepared to be surprised by this game breaking form in details like that.
Yeah, it's a minor thing, but every minor spoiler removes avenues for speculation and doubt.

Aaaand... that's it, no longer reading this thread. I'll just bookmark Onenronen's and Fedule's "?" links, I think.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 31, 2012

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Oh man, there's a bad guy in this sequel. A villain. I am shocked at this. Did you know there's trials too?

(Seriously of all the things to be spoiled on that vague sentence is probably loving nothing compared to everything else)

Fine, if we're doing this. It could be a cabal of people behind this. It could be just Monobear acting independently. Oh wait, no, it can't be either of those things, because that post was phrased in a way that confirms either of those aren't true. It's a singular "mastermind".

I know, I know, I'm being overly sensitive, nitpicking, whatever. Leaving the thread. Don't worry about it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Just like last time, the game-breaking strategy isn't "hide alone in your room", it's "stay in a big group in the place where the food is, only sending people away from the group in pairs, never letting more than one pair leave at a time.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

mangoman321 posted:

So am I the only one annoyed by Ryouko narrating in the first person during her sections in DR0? If she has amnesia she shouldn't be able to remember the events in enough detail to describe them as a narrator. I was willing to buy that she was literally writing down every single thing that happens to her and reading off of her notebook to narrate, but she very clearly was not writing in her notebook while passing out. I guess I could buy it as a sort of stream of consciousness deal where we're in her head as she narrates the things she just did in the past tense. Actually, that kind of makes her awesome, in a totally batshit insane kind of way. Maybe that's why Junko has taken such a shine to her, crazy recognizes crazy, after all.

If you always have to imagine first-person narration as someone literally telling you a story, you probably run into problems like this a lot.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That looks exactly like the rubber nonslip mats that have been at every kitchen I've worked in.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it's cool that other characters can tell US that "you've got that wrong", but... we're still not wrong.

It'd be cool if, at some point, we end up arguing the wrong point for half of a trial until someone else corrects us. But that'd break the "game" part of this game pretty badly.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Can we please stop talking about what we learned from the OST that we didn't know just from the thread, before someone accidentally spoils something?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Thank you for improving this thread. I laughed frequently through that post, don't listen to the people who said you started too early with filler.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

All I have to contribute at this point, is: If you can't handle being made fun of, you are on the wrong forum, and perhaps even on the wrong global network of computers.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

trias_e posted:

If anyone else made this post they would be banned into oblivion for good reason, because it's loving terrible and distracting. Banning people for posting worthless poo poo is great, but then you go and post the most worthless poo poo I've read in this thread up to this point. Goddammit.

I think you've mixed up "worthless poo poo" and "actual effortful posting". The former includes things like mindless speculation, chatter, and 80% of this thread's posts.

EDIT: It also includes posting about posting, yeah. I am currently being part of the problem, I'll stop now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This thread is quite the specimen sometimes.

orenronen posted:

...let's not mention anything about any DR2 manga...
The very next post:

avlein posted:

Speaking of the SDR2 manga,
:allears:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Haha, wow. You guys really had me going up until the pogo-sword part. HelloWinter truly has godlike abilities to seamlessly integrate her own work with DR stuff. This thing was hilarious. Well played.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 2, 2013

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

He didn't say he posted about the sword thing, just that he guessed it. You can guess things without posting about your guesses.

Man, you wouldn't know it from reading this thread, huh.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the fake hanging video and the fake pillar thing are there to make it seem like they were just killed then The students are all assuming the killer had to have time to kill Saionji AND string her up with all that tape during that specific window of time, when really all they had to do was grab the paper and stuff it in storage. 30 seconds instead of 10+ minutes lets you have an alibi for the "time of the murder".

Same with the video, and the thermostat. Ibuki could have been killed much earlier, in the middle of the night, when nobody had an alibi.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wasn't there only like 5-15 minutes between Hinata leaving the club and that group breaking down the door? I'd say that qualifies as an alibi for anyone who was spotted even briefly during that time (Saionji was taped up pretty extensively) until they realize it was just a matter of quickly removing the paper.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If Orenronen stopped this LP, I wouldn't be picking up the game myself. A big part of the experience for me is his comments, and the particulars of his translation (and now Fedule's editing). I'm enjoying the LP more than I'm enjoying Dangan Ronpa itself, and I'd be pretty disappointed if it stopped. But if Orenronen started translation LPing something else, that's actually pretty neat and interesting. That might even be worth missing the second half of this game, as curious as I am about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In an LP, you're reading to "find out about" the game in particular. Commentary is a perfect opportunity to show off the game as-is, explaining the gaps in understanding instead of hiding them.

When you "localize" a game to be played in isolation, it's proper to replace content wholesale with something else that's comprehensible to the new audience. But I really feel that a translation LP can serve a different purpose than that. I've always appreciated the translation notes "style" of LP, and preferred when you explained what's going on and why the original game did what it did.

I've enjoyed these LPs because they're something unique, and really fantastically executed -- what you guys are doing is way more of a draw for me than Dangan Ronpa itself. If the LP stops, I'll miss it, but I won't be getting the game. It'll be missing the features that I'm actually here for. Instead, I'll probably read the other LPs that you guys do.

(Note: I'm not hating on separating this story from Japanese culture in particular. I'm not a super japanophile person. It's just that this project gains a lot of value from being translated and commentated and explained -- it's a more interesting experience than just playing a videogame, which is the result of a proper localization.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 1, 2014

• Locked thread