Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Montegoraon posted:

One player is allowed to kill two others. If only 3 remained it would just be a free for all. It's when there's four players that things would get dicey.

I actually kind of wish this would happen
With 4 people left, the murderer goes and kills off 2 of the others, leaving them and someone else. Would they win automatically since there's no way to reach a majority against them? They obviously wouldn't vote for themselves in the school trial, and the other person would vote for the really obvious murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I'm so glad I can finally post. I'd caught up just as this trial was starting and was all excited to get to joining in the conversation, and then I tab over to Tumblr and immediately see this loving picture

Used in some stupid joke, and out of fear of accidentally spoiling the case I stayed quiet.
I have to say, murder mysteries are really frustrating when you already know the answer and you're watching a bunch of people argue back and forth about the culprit(s).

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Oren, Naegi's failed execution video got taken down. I checked the other executions, they're all fine, at least they were a few days ago.

I'm not surprised that he's still alive, the cut didn't look to deep, but then again it's hard to tell sometimes.
What I am surprised about is that Monobear of all people is the one helping him.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Joenen posted:

I see the whole "that Infuwiating SHSL despair will be Revived" thing seems to have gone over some people's heads?

I'm just surprised no ones been screaming Junkos! yet. Though whether or not that refers to her, that still doesn't tell us who the true mastermind of this all is. Monomi might really be different from Monobear, or she might not. Its hard to say.

I'm pretty sure Monomi was referring to the group Junko/The Most Despair Inducing Incident In The History of Mankind spawned and not Junko herself.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I always find myself thinking "No, no, shut up, go away." every time he opens his mouth, he's pretty well-written that way.

Really? I have the exact opposite reaction. :allears:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

1. Alter Ego seems to be alive given that he was shown in the crusher machine and said machine paused rather randomly during Chapter 6's execution, as though he was still in control of it. Then again, they do say it was a virus, so I dunno. It seemed like it was the real Alter Ego, unless Alter Ego made a virus that looked exactly like himself. I guess it doesn't really matter since they left him behind at the school. :v:

2. That was a hypothetical scenario in Naegi's mind, and he didn't know Alter Ego was still around. Alternatively, Naegi's luck was what allowed Alter Ego to succeed in his version of the execution.

The latter half of 2 is what is probably true, I replayed that part in the translated game I have earlier today and they explicitly point out that Alter Ego was there during Naegi's execution. Alter Ego planted a virus into the network before Monobear smashed it with a bulldozer, and when Naegi's execution rolled around it put a stop to it. The fact that it didn't show up during Kirigiri's is due to Naegi's luck factor.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

eating only apples posted:

That comment about the stickers looking somehow melancholic was so Phoenix Wright, and then there was no stepladder joke.
Believe me, I was tempted.

You're good people, Fedule. I was also disappointed when nobody remarked on the stepladder beyond "it's a stepladder."

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I kinda want an Av of this. If anyone decides to make an Avatar out of this, I will definitely snap that poo poo up.

That first one was a bitch to get under 30kb.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Apollove posted:

Who would be the other two members of the coach-squad?

Aoi and Owari, obviously.
Nagito would be Kahn, sending them out to spread hope through the power of overzealous yelling and sports.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

LukanFox posted:

My interpretation was that Hope's Peak is not so much about training the 'Super High School Level' skills, so much as ensuring that the attending students have generally successful lives after leaving. (How exactly that works is entirely beyond me; is the school board supposed to be able to manipulate luck for their students after leaving so that the various things that happen in their lives somehow turn out for the best?

From the first game:

quote:

This is not as true as it once was, but being a graduate from certain universities in Japan almost guarantees a successful career either as a public official or at one of Japan's mega corporations, regardless of one's actual academic record. Tokyo University is the most famous example of this reverence for where someone studied instead of their actual skills.

Highly revered private school with no application, where the only students are abnormally good at something is more than enough to guarantee success, according to the note.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I decided to carve a monobear pumpkin this year and see if anyone coming around knows who he is. Not to mention that it makes a bitchin' pumpkin design.
The part where the outer corner of his white-hand mouth meets the snout broke off when I popped the pumpkin piece for it out, so I ended up pinning it back on with the same type if pin I used to make his eye float.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Did they do that scraping poo poo on the inside? That is some SHSL pumpkin carving, I can barely make an oval look ovular instead of rectangular. I'll probably post a better picture of mine tomorrow since my brother took that one and he is awful at photo taking.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

If the first game is anything to go by, they're hard-wired to come in order, with maybe a few different "I spent time with blank" phrases depending on where you are in the story, I don't know. Generally the characters open up more the longer you spend time with them, and a couple free time events lead into the next.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ramengank posted:

If you don't give a gift or give one that's a poor fit for the character, does it affect that scene in any way? Or is the gift just for additional flavor?

If it works like the first game, then there are I think 3 tiers of gift
There's "holy poo poo this is the best thing ever," "wow this is pretty neat," and "this is awful i hate you." The first two get the scene, which is unaltered after their reaction to the gift, and the third you get their reaction and are sent away without the event.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ganonpork posted:

Here's to hoping Kuzuryuu returns with a novelty second eye patch covering his stab wound.

Like a Mayoral Sash, but with "the littlest yakuza" written on it instead, and a bulge where the patch part goes.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

orenronen posted:

Nice to have met you!

Get it? Ibuki used the perfect tense to describe an event that’s already taken place!

It's like she's actively spitting in the face of translators. I know I hated it when Latin deliberately used the wrong tense.
Or... wait, I might be reading it wrong. Using the perfect tense to describe an event that's already taken place is the right tense. I guess it's just Ibuki being weird and using the "first meeting" greeting for someone she already knows?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Delta Green posted:

Latin rarely uses the wrong tense deliberately. Which text are you referencing?

My Latin teacher had us do the occasional "find what's wrong with these sentences" and occasionally she'd throw in a misused tense and I missed those almost a lot. It probably tainted my view of all the actual texts.

Bifauxnen posted:

Playing actually good death metal instead of cutesy anime J-Pop? So this is why Ibuki is Super High School Level!

Cutesy anime J-Pop was Maizono's thing, being the SHSL Idol.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but this game is much more pleasant to look at than the first Dangan Ronpa. The colors in particular look way nicer, especially in the 3D environments.

As for despair fever, I'm not really that upset about it. It's not the best possible motive, yeah, since it comes right the gently caress out of nowhere, but DR1 had family, secrets, money, and friendship, which are about as generic as you can get for motives, so I'm at least grateful that DR2 is making the motives less cliched.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

We knew about Alter Ego in at least chapter 2, since Chihiro programmed it before his death. And Celes takes it before chapter 3's murder to get Yamada to do what she wants.

VVV
I'm also pretty sure that if anyone were to make fun of Sakura to the point of angering her she'd just kick their spine in half.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 3, 2014

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Bean posted:

Do you think there's a correlation between despair fever and Monobear's movie? We know Nagito saw it, maybe Ibuki and Akane did too. Maybe Monobear's movie does something to induce despair fever. ... or maybe he just drugs the popcorn.

I'm willing to bet that the movie is going to be important to Despair Fever somehow, though not necessarily through something as simple as drugging. Possibly some sort of hypnosis? Komaeda was very definitely not himself after he saw it, and Despair Fever possibly grew out of whatever awful things Monobear put into that movie. Like some kind of delayed stress-induced personality flip.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Flocci posted:

Togami's talent is not merely having money, nor is it managing it. His talent is being worthy of wearing the crown he was given. Merely wearing a crown does not make a king, but one can not be the king without the crown.

This is actually a really good analogy. It's like the difference between Marcus Aurelius and Nero. They were both emperors of Rome, but Nero was loving awful, while Aurelius was amazing. Same title, different levels of competence. It's the same with Togami. Strip Togami of everything he acquired himself, and give another heir a level playing field as him. Togami would still get into Hope's Peak because of how talented and worthy he is of using the tools he was given.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Another point against Saionji is that the other end of that two way communicator is in the hands of the people at the motel and not Tsumiki, who they wouldn't let in to get it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

True, but the game never made a point of showing us another shot of the monoluchadore with hair spilling out of the mask.

Her hair isn't spilling out from under the bag though, as I've seen people say before. It's the handles of the bag. You can see it in the body discovery video as well.
Unless you were talking about the body discovery and not the video Hinata was shown, in which case it very obviously can't be Ibuki, since there's no hair spilling out from under the bag.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

And More posted:

Here is a thing I've been wondering: If Ibuki gets told to hang herself (as some people suggest) would that not make Ibuki the killer of Ibuki? That was the case in the last game, why shouldn't it be the case this time around?
The key difference between Sakura's suicide and Ibuki's potential suicide is the state of mind of the person who died. Sakura was in full control of her mental faculties and killed herself in order to help take down the mastermind. Ibuki being told to hang herself is much less clear cut. Is she her own murderer? Is she just the tool of the person who told her? There's no way of really knowing right now.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Right as the second trial started I saw the picture of Peko standing over Koizumi on tumblr because the post blocking extension takes a couple seconds to kick in. That's the only spoiler I've seen so far.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I can't even play the American releases of DR1 or 2, since I have no PSVita and no money or real desire to get a PSVita, and I'm sure that's at least part of the case with a lot of other people reading the LP as well. I for one would like to see the LP continue. I haven't read any others because I value all the effort you guys put into it (i also enjoy reading the speculation to a point) so this is my only avenue for seeing SDR2.
This is all assuming that the screenshot is real, that is. I can't imagine they would localize the second game without seeing the sales of the first.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

From what little I've seen of Trigger Happy Havoc, it does seem like they're doing a pretty good job. But I just know I'm going to miss the hell out of Fedule's Gundam dialogue.

Oh god I didn't even think of Gundam's supervillain dialogue. Now the LP has to continue.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

Well, whoever has a ticket stamped with a date before the murder is now a bit more suspect.

That would be everyone except Hinata. They were all talking about how it's a copycat murder just after it happened. The ticket stamp is probably only going to be used to prove Hinata couldn't have done it and nothing more.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The big thing about doing the rest of the LP after it comes out though, is that Oren would have to rerecord everything on the Vita, something I'm not entirely sure we know how to do yet.
His choices are to translate something that's already been translated, or to redo all the work he's done by playing through chapters 1-3 and then playing through the game another two times.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Mr VacBob posted:

Personally I think it's fine to leave language honorifics in when the story is in a native or historical setting. This isn't any different from a translation of The Count of Monte Cristo leaving in "monsieur", and nobody's ever been upset about that.

In the first game Japanese name order was a plot point in the third trial with Celes' real name and Yamada's insistence on calling everyone Lastname Firstname-dono, so it made a lot of sense keeping it in there, and continuing it in this LP is just consistency.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Not sure on the official localization, but the Project Zetsubou translation had him call everyone "Master Lastname."

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Hinata: Johnny Yong Bosch
Komaeda: Bryce Papenbrook (Also Naegi)
Nanami: Christine Marie Cabanos
Kuzuryu: Derek Stephen Prince
Sonia: Natalie Hoover
Souda: Kyle Hebert
Togami: Jason Wishnov (Also Togami)
Hanamura: Todd Haberkorn
Saionji: Kira Buckland
Nidai: Patrick Seitz
Gundam: Chris Tergliafera
Monobear: Brian Beacock
Monomi: Rebecca Forstadt

I got those off Wikipedia. Owari Koizumi, Peko, Ibuki, and Mikan's English actors aren't listed.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 15, 2014

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

EdgeryWorthy posted:

That would be her Japanese voice actress.

Oh, so it is. Her English one isn't listed, I'll remove it from my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Y'know, with how popular these threads have been, Oren could probably convince a mod to let him keep updating the thread with the English version after it's released if he wants to.

Didn't Geop already say that Oren could do that, were he so inclined? Or am I misremembering that conversation about the three month rule?

• Locked thread