Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
:aaaaa:

Somebody get Goongami to YLLS.

This part is alarming though:

quote:

ysalwaysalwaysMeMyselfconsciousNonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI

talent▲individualitybrokenPprobably■finallyIalways○DdomyBestmydreamcomestrue~+i*

It is almost as if Hinata was undergoing some sort of psychosis and/or hallucinating prior to entry of the "room". Maybe all the DR1 "Naegi is the mastermind" speculations come true and Hinata is behind everything this time?

And why is Goongami in this bunch at all? Didn't Junko mention in the last trial that she has made sure everybody related to him is dead? So many questions nooooo...

Jeek fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Just want to point you to the rules above:

Orenronen aka Monobear posted:

4. Stuff that was in the game's promotional material pre-release shouldn't be mentioned until it appears on screen in the LP. That includes character names and titles.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I bet the horn girl and the chef will not live past chapter 3. Their designs are too goofy for their own good.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
They are conveying completely different emotions though (fear vs. determination).

And I may as well throw in my first :tinfoil: by mashing up various wrong theories in DR1:

The whole game is a computer simulation with everyone in suspended animation, and the mastermind is an AI subconsciously controlled by the main character.

Now watch everything in the previous sentence unravel by the end of the first chapter. :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

That's really interesting, oren! Hinata being an "ore"-user instead of a "boku"-user makes a lot of sense, and the personality bits you've mentioned make me really intrigued to see how he's going to function as our protagonist. Overall, Hinata seems very focused on being active and decisive as opposed to Naegi's passivity, and it's interesting that that's even reflected in their backstories: Hinata being obsessed with Hope's Peak and presumably having worked hard to get his invitation (or crash the proverbial party), versus Naegi receiving his invitation by chance and being more focused on his friends. Having an opinionated protagonist is an interesting choice given how often protagonists in this sort of game are blank slates, and I hope it'll address some of the complaints people had in the last thread about Naegi being ineffectual.

I think Hinata's obsession with Hope's Peak Academy will be a major part of the plot - he wants to get in so badly, yet unlike the meek Naegi, he has not mentioned why he got to enter at all. He's probably just a skill-less pretender like somebody suggested earlier.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So that wabbit thingy is called Monomi, right? Well, I have bad news for you:

(Image stolen from the Total War: Shogun 2 ROTS LP)

She's gonna murder people left and right. :tinfoil:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Good to know that Japanese novels are not choke full of ellipses like most of their games do.

Also note this sentence:

quote:

“The crimes committed may be terrible, but it doesn’t change the fact that that student carries a very special brand of hope we raised all on our own.”

I will die laughing if they are referring to Junko (remember how she claims to be superior both physically and mentally in the last trial?)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Those are just her claims though- as I recall, Naegi was officially the school's SHSL Hope, or at least enough of a wild card that anyone capable of detecting such amazing talent would have at least tried to get him on their side.

Except that Junko is actually able to fight Sakura via Monobear and do all the masterminding with the help of Mukuro?

As for Naegi, I think he is only called so in the last chapter and "SHSL Hope" is not his official title. He was invited for being SHSL Good Luck after all, and Junko did not mess with that part of his memory. (By the way, has it been explained why Kirigiri's and Naegi's title on their student ID automatically changes after certain trigger? It is very curious, especially for Naegi; his title only changes after the trial, so theoretically nobody could have done so.

Or I may be over thinking after all and it is just a little bonus from the game itself.

Last but not the least, has anyone got the tumblr link for checking the updates? Much as I love the speculations, I am afraid I cannot keep up this time.

EDIT: It's Twitter? :doh: No wonder I couldn't find it. It is only reasonable that such a great service is hosted by something better than Tumblr.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 13, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Conro101 posted:

It was more of a black void then a hallway, but if there was a hall before the classroom, it probably wouldn't be much trouble to simply make the classroom and the hall two different pieces and just remove the hall once everyone's inside.

On another hand, I would not be surprised if the mastermind has the same memory wipe trick as Junko and the corrupted part of Hinata's narrative is actually an effect from that.

I am not comfortable of Togami's reappearance, by the way, for several reasons:

1. It appears thus far that Junko has lied and Monocalypse never happened. In that case, Togami would get a better result by using his considerable influence to eliminate the remainder of the SHSL Despair group rather than enter the game.

2. Togami has sworn in DR1 that he would eliminate Monobear. If you are the mastermind of DR2 and heard about his escape (which is very well-known thanks to Junko broadcasting everything), would you eliminate/avoid him or let him into your game and unravel everything?

3. Junko has said the only students in her year were the DR1 cast, which means everyone except Togami in the DR2 is from another year. Should anyone of them had done their homework pre-entry like Naegi did, they will know that something is not right. (Even if the DR2 mastermind has access to Junko-style memory wipe, I doubt he/she would use it to remove stuff before they enter Hope's Peak).

At this point, I would like to propose a theory:

Togami and co. discover a group of SHSL student somewhere, but they suspect that one or more of them is part of SHSL Despair, so they organized a "field-trip" to rat that person out. Fatogami is some sort of SHSL Body Double who is ordered to take Togami's place and observe everybody.

Unfortunately, there is indeed an SHSL Despair (the mastermind of DR2) who turned the table around and started his/her little murder game on the island.

Of course, if it turns out to be a computer simulation after all :downs:, none of that would matter.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I know Nagito is not Naegi. Just compare their eyes and you can tell the difference.

CommissarMega posted:

Perhaps THIS is the incident they were trying to cover up? That with who knows how many Super-Grown Up Talented People they could call upon, they could now genetically and/or psychologically engineer SHSL kids? The thought of some cabal of hyper-talented people creating more hyper-talented people guaranteed to rule the world certainly wouldn't sit well with me. It could also explain why there's a Naegi-alike, who's still not the Naegi we all know- perhaps the guy in charge of the project didn't have SHSL Naming Skills.

From the tone of Kirigiri, it sounds like they are covering up a pretty sudden accident rather than a scheme that has been running for a long time. Perhaps one of their Super Students went berserk and committed the murders as Naegi and co. discovered in DR1? That would fit the "I didn't kill them" line from Junko as well.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Thank you for taking our comments into account and changed Monomi's speech. I had some trouble reading through it the first time around.

And I thought Hinata's tie is supposed to say "love" in capital letter? The pattern on Nagito's shirt, on the other hand, is quite hard to decipher.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
^^^ Ahahahaha. What's that game?

I think Souda would live through the first chapter since his ability would be quite useful storywise or in a murder scheme. Gundam, on the other hand, will probably end up being a murderer because those hamsters seen to be perfect accomplices.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Please don't let the suspicion on Nagito become another meme that run itself to the ground, DR2. That would be too much despair for me. :ohdear:

Carrasco posted:

I still don't see this. Maybe I don't have enough imagination, but it seems like any animal-based murder would be really obvious. "Covered in hundreds of tiny bites, I wonder who could have done it?"

Or even if it's not that blatant, there's bound to be some stray furs left around the crime scene. If nothing else, no matter how well you train an animal, it's still not going to be sentient or capable of manipulating complex tools, which really limits one's options.
I agree that killing someone directly with an animal would be obvious, but they can do other jobs as well, such as moving small objects, squeezing through tiny spaces (locked-room murder, anyone?), etc. Besides, Gundam probably leaves a trail of fur wherever he goes anyway which would confound with real evidences.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I think Ryouko's condition has a lot to do with the memory wipe in DR1. Junko probably based her technique on Ryouko's case, or Matsuda is working with Junko all along. She is probably the student Junko had in mind in the very beginning as well.

Ryouko does not seem alright either - she is giving me a Nagito-like vibe in that they are both overly friendly for no good reason. I am afraid there is more problems in her than the memory loss.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Are we sure that Ryouka is actually a Hope's Peak student though? She may simply be a patient enlisted for whatever research because of her condition.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I would probably get strange stares from saying that, but I think Mikan is like a blend of Fukawa (in that she is probably quite screwed up) and Ishimaru (well meaning but has zero social skills). She will probably live through the first chapter to show off her skill as a nurse though.

As for Ibuki... well, at least she is more friendly than Gundam.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Nice to see you here, Sherringford. I thought you would only come when the murders start.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I will admit, these characters do come off as more 'anime' overall than the first lot on first impression. But c'est la vie (and it would fit into my simulation/everyone is a blended and re-separated version of the original cast theory).

The system, overall, seems more self-aware of being a game than DR1 was, with the main menu design, leveling(?) and collecting "Hope Shards" (whatever that is).

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Rawkking posted:

...or that the broken laptop that was found was his and contained some of his work?
Not that likely. Junko prepared the laptop after all and even though she loves despair, I doubt she would purposedly backfire her plan by leaving Chihiro's past works around. Besides, any such data may trigger Chihiro's lost memories - he kind of remembered Naegi during the introduction after all.

Stoat posted:

I agree though, I think it's a way weirder and more fun cast this time. Probably because since the devs were expecting people to have played DR1 and be used to off the wall poo poo, they were stepping it up.
I wonder if the normal-looking people in the cast would have some unexpected quirk as well.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

One thing I just realized: Mahiru is the first character we've met who doesn't remind me of a character from DR1.

I kind of like that.

People have said that she looks a bit like Mukuro though with her frackles.

Nidai is kind of like Mondo with Ishimaru's character. I don't think he would kill anyone, but I do hope he fares better than Sakura.

It is difficult to tell how will Kuzuryuu end up: one can draw parallels with him and Togami or Mondo, but he looks weak enough to be killed as well.

Mahiru is so normal that she almost seems suspicious, and if my anime sense is correct, her camera would be used as an evidence for her own death.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Dragoon Cody posted:

History is determined by the victors. The difference between a terrible dictator and a beloved leader is which side's PR you're hearing, and as far as we could tell at the end of the last game, it was pretty clear who was winning.
You would expect somebody to say something about the face of the Bear Leader on the vending machine in that case.

Besides, Junko is publicly shown to be dead by the end of DR1, which cannot be counted as SHSL Despair winning. Perhaps this game is a vendetta operation against the remainder of the original Hope's Peak students, but as Junko claims that the DR1 cast is the only group left, that begs the question of where the DR2 cast is from.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
But does a post-apocalypse world need a SHSL Gamer or SHSL Luck though?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

ArcadeBumstead posted:

Oh man, with the way this game likes to screw with us what if Nagito dies without us ever learning what his deal is :stonk:

But what if the game is subverting our expectation from DR1? :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
:pseudo: time: The YouTube videos orenronen talked about have been brought up several times in the DR1 thread when people got spoiled by them while surfing YouTube. It's nice to see them gone, I guess.

HoneyBoy posted:

Oh and here's something to note, 13 victims and 2 survivors, that makes for a nice familiar number of 15, doesn't it?

Remember how Monobear repeatedly say that the murders are all done by DR1 cast and he is not responsible for any of it? If we apply the same logic here, Junko could be holding a rehearsal murder game with those students and she would be free to say that she did not kill any of them as in the final trial. :stonk:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 25, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Hanamaru is much worse than my impression from reading the DR2 promotion material. He is probably otherwise harmless though and I expect him being framed or murdered. I also agree with someone's earlier of him dying first or becoming one of the survivors.

As for Sonia, she gives me a Maizono vibe with her good looks and supposed innocence. I look forward to see if there is more of her.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

Sonia's English
I, as a non-native speaker, is reading English edited by a native speaker which is supposed to read like something spoken by a non-native speaker.

The whole is getting really meta now.

My peer and I never talk that way, but then none of us is a SHSL princess so V:v:V

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Chiming in to say that the Monobear plushy is awesome. As for the romhack image, I wonder why you choose to add in the star motifs? The original version seems to be more plain and formal.

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Ume is a plum, it's a pickled plum.

And yes, I, as a foreigner, consider them gross

Except that the superman in Dr. Slump eats those to transform, which of course means that they are awesome. :colbert:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
For some reason, I don't think the slug-tongue person is working for SHSL Despair. Junko doesn't strike me as the kind of person who use underlings, and seeing Mukuro's demise, Junko will probably just kill them off at random.

IceBorg posted:

About the DR1 free time events that are left I mentioned, in the DR1 thread, that I was looking forward to Fukawa's ones but thinking about it more I think I want to see Togami's more now because it would be better to see more of his character considering that he is in this game and maybe some nice character connections could be found(like the liking tea thing his profile says). .
In DR1, Togami likes Kopi Luwak as a gift, but I am not sure if it is for the price or the coffee itself.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you're misremembering; Kirigiri is the one that likes that. Unless it's actually a super-nice gift for Togami and she just so happens to like it as well.

Kopi luwak is in the "best gift" category for both Kirigiri and Togami.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Welcome back, Monobear.

It seems that he is more powerful in this game - the weather changes just because he arrives? Even Junko didn't wield such power in DR1.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Am I the only one thinking that the Arkanoid LP by Monobear's VA is great? It is refreshing to hear her natural voice.

I am thinking that DR2 is set after DR1, by the way. Junko is flamboyant and does not like to hold back; but even with her total control in DR1, she has never used such powers. Therefore, one can deduce that they were not available to her in DR1, and if Junko, as the head of SHSL Despair group, cannot find a way to do such things in a despair-filled world, then it is safe to assume that such technology/magic simply did not exist when DR1 occurs.

Another alternative would be that they are in some virtual reality, but I would prefer the plot not to go that way - even if it is a "die in simulation and you die for real" situation, that is still a cheap trope.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
[redacted]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So the protagonists of DR0 are one grade senior to the DR1 cast. Interesting.

orenronen posted:

She had flashy makeup on, as if she just jumped straight out of the pages of a fashion magazine. Her blond hair bulged in large, soft puffs. Her stylishly torn top had a stupidly large cleavage, and her embarrassingly short skirt revealed long, slender, white legs.
It's kind of disappointing that Junko doesn't really have pink hair. :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
^^^ This is awesome. At least I don't recognize most of the animus.

All the Japanese discussion makes me wonder how difficult it is for a Japanese to learn English. Anyone want to share their experience?

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Why the hell are you celebrating a video game character's birthday?

Somebody drew a hilarious fanart for Ishimaru's birthday on the last thread and nobody complained. As long as it is not done in a creepy fashion, it should be okay.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 8, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So long, Monomi. I look forward to seeing your body double return.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Did we see all of his free-time events? I honestly don't remember if we made it through them all or not.

We haven't.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
By the way, Usami/Monomi is a teacher and Monobear is the headmaster of Hope's Peak. Isn't it normally the case that a teacher should obey the headmaster and carry out his/her commands?

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I wonder what would Monobear think of Orenronen and the readers of this LP.

Axle_Stukov posted:

Also Hinata your room is far too empty of poo poo just like Naegi, how is Ghost Mondo supposed to save you when Zombie Monoluchador tries to give you brownies?
He will simply possess Hinata and turn him into Hinada. :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Dejablue posted:

Dude I'd totally want to try and murder someone. I don't think the first game ever showed us what a mass execution would look like. Say you failed the pick out the culprit on purpose. Would the floor open up from under everyone except the killer and you fall into a pit of spikes?

We are talking about Monobear here. He would not approve of such a mundune mean of execution. Maybe he would have use all the tailor-made executions simultanously?

Still, it would be interesting to play the game as a murder. The only other game I can think of with such a mechanism is the Hitman series and the Kindaichi Case Files game. Not that it is possible to do such a thing with this game's system, but one can hope.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
It seems Junko has a habit of breaking the fourth wall even before DR1. And what a nice :iceburn: against the otakus in Japan.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

LateToTheParty posted:

:stonk: Oh god! Junko is a SHSL :tvtropes:.

You may read this development as Junko, being SHSL Despair, knows the best way to make goons despair despite being in a novel that doesn't even have an official English translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Nidai is awesome. I think the "SHSL Shine" title given by someone else earlier does fit him.

And it seems that Monomi is back. If she is on the hope side, hopefully she will give some insight as to what happened after her destruction.

• Locked thread