Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapaari
Nov 10, 2012
Hey, I just finished reading the updates of the DR thread, good job orenronen! (unfortunately missed the speculation, cause I don't have that much free time :( )
I'll be reading this one too and since I feel pretty confident about my Japanese reading comprehension, I'll probably be playing the original game at the same time, so I might be asking you questions about your translation choices. You okay with that?
Also, is Fedule helping with the translation or is it just editing? I didn't really understand what you meant with "rewriting the translation". Do you mean "retranslating"?
Keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapaari
Nov 10, 2012
As I said in my previous post, I played the original up to the point were orenronen translated. I have some questions for him (and Fedule, if need be).

"It goes beyond mere support... it borders on worship. Like a religion".

and

"What he’s saying makes sense, but...

What purpose is being served by this? And for who?
I don’t like this..."

These lines don’t exist in the original script. Some lines from Hinata's monologue at the beginning, like "Keep calm", "Stop worrying and think! ", "...Yes...", "...Come on..." are also absent from the JP script. I know the translation is supposed to be very liberal, but still, I'm wondering why you chose to include them.

Another one:
Original JP script: 「だが、いくらなんでも不自然だ。頭の悪そうなお前らもそう思うだろう?」
orenronen: "This is not natural. Your ugly faces tell me that you agree".
「頭の悪そう」 kinda means "whose head is bad"="who is stupid". Wouldn't "stupid faces" be more accurate?

Thanks and keep it up!

Yapaari
Nov 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the First

Fedule, thanks for your answer, the post was enlightening. I see where you're coming from. You're right, there's still no characterization, so I just wrote what I saw :P. The thread is still young. If I see something I think should be done differently in the future updates, I'll be sure to mention it, should I have the time!

orenronen posted:

That one's entirely on me, and you're very right. The error slipped out during my initial run on the text and I never caught it later. Thanks!

Orenronen, I see you changed it. Keep it up!

• Locked thread