Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Given Komaeda's lines at the start of this update, I'm concerned that he might be dead or about to die, and that that speech could be the last we hear from him. Nidai obviously knows something about where Komaeda is, and probably Souda does too, so it looks like they decided to knock him out and take the precaution of tying Komaeda up somewhere...which would make Komaeda an easy target for somebody else if they were able to find him. The only sensible way to deal with Komaeda short of someone killing him and taking one for the team would be for the entire group to tie him up and have maybe 3 people watching him at any given time, but less than that is a recipe for disaster, especially if it's only some of the characters who are in on the plan. Even if the latter situation is the case, it still goes to show that the DR2 cast is refreshingly competent compared to the DR1 cast. It'd mean they would at least have vaguely the right idea of what to do, but fall short because of a lack of trust in the other characters. Monomi would not approve. Maybe this chapter is going to be a race against time to find Komaeda before someone with murderous intent does. They should never have let him out of their sight, but it's hard to blame them when Hanamura had just been executed and they must have been out of it with shock.

Saionji just keeps on being creepy and nasty, and I would actually happily vote for her for the next free time event for this reason. Maybe she'll never stop being creepy, but I really want to know if she's going to become more sympathetic as a character in some way. There is something to be said for having a character there who just doesn't care about Hanamura because of him becoming a murderer, hypocritical critter-killer that she is. Isn't Saionji playing the role of Syo to a certain extent, of cold-heartedly not feeling moved by the deaths of others? Even so, she and Monobear seem to be taking over the perversion torch in Hanamura's honour this update. (Depending on what "soapies" are...)

The translation this update is really great! I love the chapter title, all the characters seem perfect, and Monomi in particular seems to have just the right balance of cutesy talk and plain speech to be readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Sonia is concerning in that since she's such a big fan of serial killers and specifically Kirakira, because if something happens where she believes Kirakira is in the cast, she might help them out in some way. It's not even necessary for Kirakira to actually be there as long as she thinks they are for some reason. Even though Sonia was sheltered, she seemed like one of the most level-headed characters until now, but now I'm not so sure. It's a nice twist. Hinata's right: a princess obsessing over serial killers is just too much. I've got to hand it to Hinata for being sensible. Not that I dislike Naegi's style, but Hinata is doing a great job so far as the viewpoint character. Anyway, aside from maybe Monobear and Monomi, the only people who heard Sonia saying that were Hinata and Peko. I don't expect Hinata to go in for fake serial-killer shenanigans, but it's an option for Peko.

If they're all on an artificial island then having a replica of Hope's Peak there is not far-fetched. I guess we've just got to go in for suspension of disbelief about how much money the island's creators had on hand. It's not as if DR1 didn't require some of that too, but a whole probably artificial island with potential replicas and definite Monobeasts and all that is pushing things up a notch. Hope's Peak might have been able to create something like the island. Who else could have financed a thing like this? I think I remember Togami listing three extremely rich groups linked to the school whom he thought might be behind the situation, those being the Togami group, Kuzuryuu's group, and Novoselic (Sonia's country). Monobear has implied that the island is an artificial one and it can only have been made by a certain "fearsome" "huge organization"...Maybe that implies that none of the three groups Togami suggested has enough resources for an island like this. But if it really was SHSL Despair behind it as Monobear seems to imply (though we know how tricky he is), then does that mean that Monomi is working for SHSL Despair? Because she did say that she was specifically the one who prepared the library for them, and that's not something that can be done at the drop of a hat.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Monobear was likely always autonomous, or at least under someone else's control, since he was still quite functional after Junko... wasn't.

My assumption at the end of DR1 was that Junko had left Monobear programmed so that AI would kick in for it after a while, in case she met a sticky end. Perhaps it would activate after a certain amount of time without her using it. I can imagine her enjoying the despair of her defeat and death while knowing that Monobear would be back to plunge more people into despair later.

Of course, we can't prove that DR2 takes place after DR1 or that even if it does, that this isn't a Monobear set up or operated by somebody else. But I can't imagine any other real person being able to carry off Monobear's personality this well (...unless they had a skill like SHSL Actress or at a pinch, well, SHSL Gamer) and I can't imagine why they would want to do so. And if Monobear is an AI, Monomi probably is as well, if what she let slip was correct.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Sorry to see that it's Mahiru. She had very little attention paid to her in the game so far. Maybe she was the one who has an interesting backstory in the free time events.

Mahiru is in the same pose as the girl in the video game, and the girl in the video game was probably killed by another girl, as there weren't any male characters in the game. So my assumption is that Mahiru was killed by a girl.

Given the similar situation, I think it's clear that the video game's purpose was probably to give one specific person a reason to kill Mahiru (or Mahiru a reason to confront a specific person?) rather than to build paranoia generally or show different people different things. My first thought at thinking a specific person could be given a motive was "that's odd, weren't the motives in DR1 all given to everybody, like the videos and the guilty secrets?" but then there was also the money motive which must have been aimed at Celes.

Looking only at the girls:

Chiaki: Almost certainly played the game. Showed up relatively early to the diner. I think she's this game's Kirigiri, so I doubt she committed a murder, but she can't be ruled out either.

Pekoyama: Was swimming, and still carrying her weapon. The murder weapon was probably the bat at the scene, but it could have been chosen deliberately to mask the identity of the killer. Peko wouldn't be stupid enough to kill someone with a sword, if it was even possible with the one she carries. It would be worthwhile checking to see if her sword really is the same one as usual.

Akane: Yeah, the blood is incredibly suspicious. I wonder if they have the right materials to do a blood test?

Saionji: Gut feelings here are that Saionji is the last person there who would have killed Mahiru. She probably really did like her. Presumably she was the first person to see the scene, Kuzuryuu second, Souda third. But if she had Nagito willing to lie for her, then he could have been the first person and Saionji could be the killer. It's possible that she could have run to fetch him (unchaining him for a while), if he could sneak past the others.

Mikan: Not a lot to go on here. She may well have played the game, though, as in an earlier update Chiaki taught her how to play video games for the first time. Who has and who hasn't played the game is key, given that the motive must be there.

Ibuki: Somehow I have a lot of trouble seeing Ibuki as a killer. She's just too entertaining to have around. I really don't want her to die. But Ibuki is pretty sharp and aware in some ways, and she isn't looking suspicious at all. Which in turn is suspicious. She arrived early, which she might think could give her an alibi.

Do we need to know whether Mikan and Ibuki are really wearing swimsuits? Let's hope it doesn't involve cheap fanservice if we do. Potentially, the culprit could have gone for a swim in order to wash off the blood. Akane does have blood on her, so she obviously didn't do that if she's the culprit. But the only one with wet hair is...Peko. If we find something like a hair-dryer nearby at some point, then I think we could rule Peko out and focus on Ibuki, Mikan, Chiaki, and Sonia. It's probably an irrelevant point after all, as people have pointed out that it would be easier to use bottled water to wash blood off than it would to swim.

Sonia: The last one there, and she organised the event. It took her a long time to put the wetsuit on...but how important that is will depend on how long Mahiru was dead for. She also seems to have an interest in serial killers and such, so she might have been willing to drag Mahiru around to set up the scene to be just right. And the addition of the mask is suspicious.

You know, even if the game prepared a single motive for Person X to kill Mahiru, perhaps the arcade game really did show different things to different people? That way, they can only piece together the true culprit if they trust each other enough to talk.

What confused me is that the killer used the same method and pose as the killer in the game. If their motive is that they were worried about having a secret of theirs discovered, why would they do that? They wouldn't want to draw attention to the game. Perhaps the motive is something else after all, such as revenge for something that Mahiru did. Or - no. Maybe Mahiru was the person who set up the scene, in order to confront the culprit, who then killed her? If that's true, then the culprit is unlikely to be either Peko or Akane, as they would both be people Mahiru would be foolish to take aside somewhere and confront.

Assuming that Peko is correct, as even if she were the killer there's no real reason to doubt her, I have to agree that the lack of the islands is incredibly suspicious. I hate to say this, but it does make the "they're in a video game" theory much more likely.

If the culprit was the one who left the mask there, then could they be trying to tell Sonia that Kirakira is there and killed Mahiru for love and justice, and that Sonia should help them? But it would be strange for them to assume that Sonia is such a big fan that she would die for their sake. They might, however, rely on Sonia making a big thing about the mask and distracting everyone. In which case the finger is pointed at Peko and Sonia, the only people other than Hinata we can be sure know about Kirakira.

Popo posted:

The way I see it right now there are three main possibilities;

1) As you said, it's from the game. What specifically remains to be seen but likely some attempt at a motive.
2) He is the traitor and these are instructions. I doubt he'd be so careless to get caught carrying them though.
3) Photos from Miharu. Could be blackmail, could be a warning, could just be something she thinks would be important to him.

The contents of the envelope could be both from Mahiru and from the game, if they're photographs she took of whatever events Twilight Syndrome was based on, and the arcade game printed them out to give to Kuzuryuu. That would support the view that different people saw different things when they played the game.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 24, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

TKMobile posted:

Now, what no one's thought of, TMK, is that Peko *may* honestly have been swimming for three hours trying to find a way to get on any of the other islands, but those drat Monobeasts were waiting for her wherever she'd try to beach.

I don't think it's that simple. Peko said "But, no matter how far I swam I could not find them anywhere." This implies strongly not that she simply couldn't reach the islands for some reason, but that she could not even find them. That is, she couldn't even see them. I can't think of a reason for her to lie about this.

One more thing about Peko is that assuming she really did go for her swim and obtained accurate info, there's no need for her to have done that during the time period she claims. She could have done that earlier.

TKMobile posted:

That leaves the Ladies Line-up:

Ibuki and Mikan are innocent: they came early as a pair, interacted with the Guys, and offer no potential clues nor wear suspicious accoutrements that may or may not have been bloodied. They had nothing to do with this murder and I would be shocked if either of them played the game, either.

So, The primary suspects are Nanami, Akane, Peko or Sonia. It has to be one of them.

Although I agree provisionally with some of what you say about the other characters, I think you're being far too quick to say that Ibuki and Mikan definitely had nothing to do with the murder. We don't know exactly when the murder took place. Arriving early means nothing if the murder took place earlier in the day. Interacting with two of the guys doesn't really mean anything much either.

Also, Akane may be on the stupid side, but that doesn't mean she couldn't commit a murder using a tool, assuming the bat really is the weapon. And we don't know that she doesn't have a motive. She could easily have one. It's not as if we can point to anybody else and say "That person there has a clear motive, but Akane? Akane doesn't". The secret to the motive is probably in the Twilight Syndrome game. We shouldn't write her off as a culprit just because of her seemingly straightforward personality.

Komaeda probably isn't the culprit, but he might have assisted them in some way. Even if he's still tied up, that doesn't mean that he couldn't have been untied and then tied up again. On the other hand, the students have already seen what happened in the last trial and would have to be foolish to rely on him completely.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Couldn't they just ask Nidai whether he actually caused that injury?

I'm sure Nidai did cause the injury. I was thinking more about whether all the blood was Akane's, or if some of it was from Mahiru sometime afterwards. But I guess the timing there rules that out after all, since she said she had only just come from fighting him, and that should be verifiable. If she killed Mahiru she must have done it before the fight with Nidai.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 24, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

If I had to take a stab at a timeline:

-Miharu sets up a confrontation with her murderer with photos (the likely contents of the envelope), killer kills her.
-Kurzyuu finds Mahiru's body, grabs the envelope of photos because they contain a secret of his, or he's trying to protect someone else (Peko?).

Mahiru was still alive at the time Kuzuryuu was seen with the envelope, though. He didn't get that from the scene of the crime. Check update #46.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Apollove posted:

Why exactly do we think Peko is Kirakira again? I mean granted the fact that Sonia mentioned her earlier on probably means he/she'll make an apperance ala genocider syo, knowing this game's track record for foreshadowing and all, but why peko?

We don't necessarily think she is, but it started off with Peko being around at the time when Sonia mentioned Kirakira. Several people thought that Peko's reaction to the conversation was a bit strange. She wasn't pleased about Sonia and Hinata discussing a serial killer so lightly. With that in addition to Peko being a strong fighter, it made for the bare bones of a theory.

I believe there was also some speculation that potentially Peko could use her knowledge of Sonia's fannish adoration of Kirakira in order to cover up a murder, perhaps by killing a student and making it look as if Kirakira did it.

Then there was the free time event with Peko, where a couple of the things there seemed to be perhaps a bit suspicious, given that Kirakira is supposed to be a "warrior of justice" and that Peko's voice actress (the same one who did Sailor Moon) was one of the ones who was specifically requested for this game. Update #47 is the one with the free time event, if you want to check it all, but it has things like..."That is not the point of kendo for me. I was set on a different goal from the very beginning. I protect those that should be protected, and cut those that should be cut." and talking about how the path she's been set on has caused her to lose "warm" and "fluffy fluffy" things. But maybe she was just talking about how being strong and fearsome caused fluffy animals to dislike her.

I think that the free time event was at the least designed to make people wonder if Peko is Kirakira. Free time events in the last game sometimes had plot-relevant hints. It just remains to be seen whether DR2 is just messing with us by dangling the possibility of Kirakira being on the island, or if Kirakira really is there. Kirakira is bound to come up in some way, given the mask at Koizumi's murder scene.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Revolver Bunker posted:

I think it was Fuyuhiko that offed Miharu. Earlier we saw him walk around with that manila envelop. My guess is that it's a photo that Miharu took of Fuyuhiko playing the game. And that this meeting at the beach house was suppose to be Miharu trying to have a one on one talk with him about what he was doing before she went public with the evidence.

I find this hard to believe, because I see no reason for Kuzuryuu to care that much about whether someone saw him playing the game. Hasn't he already freely expressed (regardless of whether he really would do it) that he's willing to kill people? That's a lot worse than merely being seen playing the game. Photos would need to show something more than that in order for them to be his motive. Mahiru would already know that Kuzuryuu would most likely say something to the effect of "So you can prove I played it, so what?". Which is basically what he did with Hinata when he reacted with "Well, what are you going to do about that?!", essentially admitting that he played the game. Kuzuryuu did become very defensive when Hinata brought up the topic, but it wasn't in a manner indicating an intense need to cover up playing the game, more that he resented the feeling of being interrogated for acting on his own.

For all that he's a SHSL Gangster, Kuzuryuu's threats seem empty right now, and he's mostly coming over as somebody very, very frightened.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

If one or more of the hamsters actually die sometime soon, we can use that to try to pinpoint where DR2 is on the timeline and how long the students have been away for. What I'm curious about is how Gundam would react. An animal breeder should be able to cope with a pet's death, but he's in a bad situation with the serial murders and he's very dependent on those hamsters. If a hamster dies, Gundam could flip out with worry about his other animals back home. Right now he doesn't seem like someone who would commit a murder, and in the current case there's no way he could have done it, but if a hamster dies that could change the game.

But even so, it's hard to believe that a SHSL Animal Breeder wouldn't be able to tell how old his pets are. If they haven't been gone for long that's not a problem, but otherwise it would stretch believability for Gundam not to realise it. Which would suggest that those might not be his hamsters, but might be very good, AI-powered fakes (even in VR?) made to look as if they're the right age. I don't believe that a simple substitution of real lookalike hamsters would be able to fool Gundam.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Skunkrocker posted:

I just want to point out the supermarket scene in the prologue? The first thing looked at was a table of military goods, like nightvision goggles.

The second was surfboards.

Now that you point that out, I can see that the supermarket also has wetsuits. None of the suits from earlier looks exactly like Sonia's one, although that could just be because of them being seen from a distance or being hidden behind other ones. Of course, it's still entirely possible that an innocent Sonia took a wetsuit from the cupboard in the beach house sometime anyway.

I tried to work out what the new evidence this update means for Sonia, but it left me confused. I think what we really need to know about is which people Gundam, Nidai and Kuzuryuu might have seen passing by them earlier.

After reading through earlier updates looking for wetsuit clues at the supermarket, I'm finding myself missing Nagito from when he wasn't so obviously nuts, even though the hope maniac twist is superbly voice acted and has a lot to offer the plot in terms of him being a ready made accomplice. But there's no going back to how things were prior to the first trial.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Oliver Crowley posted:

The murderer counts as one of the three.

Not necessarily. In the first Dangan Ronpa's second chapter, the murderer didn't count, and one person couldn't be counted twice.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Facetious Jim posted:

I cannot think of a believable motive for him to kill anyone ever, outside of someone killing one or more of his hamsters, which in and of itself should count as murder.

I can't think of a non-animal-related motive for him, but I do think there are ones which exist aside from someone murdering a hamster.

Given that we now know that the characters' memories have been wiped, the issue of hamster lifespans could easily come to the fore. Gundam should, as an expert animal breeder, have been able to notice that his hamsters were at least maybe a year older than they should be. If he hasn't noticed, then maybe these aren't even his real hamsters and could be AI fakes, or, if they're in virtual reality, just programs. If we suspend disbelief and say that they're older and Gundam just hasn't noticed, we know that one of them could die soon of natural causes. Either way, those hamsters are probably Gundam's psychological support on the island, and if they're messed with or he discovers they already have been messed with, I think he could commit a murder. Especially as he has or had many other animals back home which he must be highly concerned about. If he learns during this case that more time has passed than he thought before, he's going to be extra desperate to get back to his animals.

The foreshadowing about hamster lifespans that we saw earlier in the game makes me think that this is really going to be an issue for Gundam. If he doesn't develop some strong bonds with the rest of the cast, my guess is he's going to be a future murderer. Of course it's true that motive often comes out of the blue in Dangan Ronpa, but Gundam already has a particularly strong set up for spiralling into despair.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Also, to be honest, I kinda never really care about the grander story in either DR1 or DR2. I mean, I didn't find the reason behind the murder game particularly satisfying in DR1, and I don't know that it'll be different here.

While my primary interest is also in the mysteries and the characters, and the reason behind DR1 didn't satisfy me very much either, I'm hoping for more from DR2. We're being shown updates from DR Zero interspersed with DR2, and we've been told that Zero provides important set-up for DR2 in particular. So I think there's a chance that at least some of the deeper mysteries behind the series will be unraveled in this game. Is Monoworld real? What was the Worst Most Despairing Incident that sparked it? What happened to Ryouko and the other students? That sort of thing. Monoworld was such a shallow plot device in DR1 that I want to see something more of it to stop it from being annoying.

Personally, I think that assuming DR2 takes place after DR1, Monobear is likely to be an AI and that because of a comment she made earlier, Monomi is likely to be one too. But if they're not, then somebody has to be controlling them, and it doesn't look as if any of the DR2 kids have the opportunity to be doing so. There would have to be one or two people secretly on the island and controlling the robots, and it would violate usual storytelling norms if the operators weren't people we already knew the names of. Which would limit the possibilities to anyone from the casts of DR Zero and DR1 who could still be alive. I thought before that somebody would have to be a super high school level actress in order to pull off DR2 Monobear, and that's one reason I thought it was an AI. But actually Ryouko fits the bill, unless she dies at the end of Zero. Her skill is as an analyst: she could easily copy Junko's Monobear operation style, if she wanted to.

But what gets me about the possibility of there being a human operator for DR2 Monobear is why they would bother copying Junko's Monobear, and so far I can't think of any satisfactory reason for it. It could be something to do with Togami being in the cast and there being a need to disguise their real identity from him, but that's a stretch.

Agent Interrobang posted:

As regards to actual speculation: still not sure Saionji is anything other than a witness here. For one thing, she's like four feet tall and about as buff as a baby kitten.

I don't think she's anything but a witness this time either, but she is a dancer, and dancers tend to be strong even if they're small. Saionji should at the least be in good condition and have better muscles than someone her size who isn't into sports. I think that she ought to be capable of killing somebody with a baseball bat. That said, Dangan Ronpa isn't exactly strict about keeping body shapes in line with real-world norms.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

TalimK posted:

If the other theory was true, that Saionji was at the scene, the rule about Monobear announcing a student's death would be broken. I think that the body really wasn't discovered until Hinata and crew showed up.

What do you mean - why would it be broken if Saionji had been one of the ones who discovered the body? It seems to work fine if, say, Kuzuryuu, Saionji, and Souda are the three people, at least if none of them is the culprit. Souda was almost certainly the third person to discover the body.

The body discovery announcement went off before Hinata even went inside the beach house, so it definitely wasn't him who triggered the announcement.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Honestly, there's 2 requirements here for somebody to be the murderer, not counting people working together (which still seems unlikely to me). The person can't have a rock solid alibi, for instance, its almost certainly not possible that Suika, Hinata (duh), Souda, or Mikan were the killer.

By Suika you mean Ibuki, right?

Although I believe that Hinata has nothing to do with the case and that Souda is ruled out as the third person to see the body, I don't see why it would be impossible for Ibuki or Mikan to have been the murderer. They don't have established alibis for the time the murder took place - Koizumi died at about 3:00 PM, and Ibuki and Mikan arrived at the diner at 3:30 PM - and we don't know which direction either of them came from or how long they had been together before they arrived at the diner. They were also both involved with the real life events that Twilight Syndrome was based on, which is enough to make anybody worth a second glance as a suspect, and it seems Koizumi contacted them each to ask them to meet up with her on that day.

The problem with Ibuki and Mikan as potential culprits is that aside from the Twilight Syndrome related things, they haven't really done anything much that looks suspicious. Ibuki in particular hasn't done much at all, and the only thing I can think of which makes Mikan suspicious is back in update #46, where she was very excited and happy about Nanami teaching her how to play video games - which makes me think that Mikan may in her excitement have gone on to play Twilight Syndrome later. But that's about it.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

This still leaves the question of how whoever propped the body got out, however. The bathroom window obviously has to be involved, but none of the evidence we have so far gives us any information of how they reached it. Even if they used an accomplice to prop themselves up, how'd the accomplice get out?

If it was all set up to frame Saionji, I can think of one way that it could have been done without using the window, and that's if it went something along the lines of this: The culprit kills Koizumi, but doesn't prop up her body. The culprit then hides, maybe after hearing the noise of somebody unexpected coming. Kuzuryuu arrives through the tunnel door, sees the body, and leaves through the tunnel door again. Then, Saionji arrives, sees the body, and runs out of the beach side of the house. The killer knew Saionji would be coming to the house at that exact time (but how?) and already had a pair of shoes just like Saionji's ready and waiting, and all they needed to do was walk out in Saionji's footsteps wearing those. Before they leave, they prop up Koizumi's body against the door. Or, if Saionji arrived via the beach side in the first place, maybe they propped up the body before Saionji got there, so they could force her to leave via the beach and leave footprints.

But that only works if the culprit has a way of being sure that Saionji will be there at a particular time, and it seems awfully risky.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 2, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

The implication is that she died somewhere in the middle of the room, away from a wall, and therefore couldn't just be propped up against a nearby door. She was deliberately dragged there. I can't believe that Saionji's first instinct would be to drag Koizumi several feet away, and just coincidentally block the way out.

You're right, it can't have been Saionji who moved the body.

Another option is that Koizumi really did try to crawl towards the tunnel-side door. But, the problem with that is that it would have to mean that Mikan was mistaken when she said that Koizumi must have died instantly.

Koizumi of all people actually would have a very clear motive for leaning against the door, if she still had enough strength to pull it off. Say, if the culprit thought she was dead and went to rinse the blood off themself off in the shower with the water bottles, it would be incredibly inconvenient for them if Koizumi had dragged herself against the door and died there in the meantime, because by that time they would probably have used up all the water bottles.

Also, if the culprit was one of the people from Twilight Syndrome, especially if they were also E-ko's killer, Koizumi could possibly have been leaving a clue for anyone who played the game. The killer might be Kuzuryuu, but if it isn't, Koizumi probably already knows at the minimum that he's seen those photographs.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

John Dyne posted:

The door she was blocking wasn't the door to the showers; it was the other door INTO the beach house. There is an entrance from the beach proper, and one from a tunnel that exits right in front of the diner. They tried the door nearest the diner initially and it wouldn't budge, and had to go around, and for it they saw the footprints.

Yes, that's the very same door I was talking about : the tunnel door where Koizumi's body was found. If Koizumi blocked the tunnel side door when the culprit was washing off in the shower, wouldn't the culprit have problems leaving through the tunnel door? They could be out of water by then, and they would be likely to get blood on them if they moved Koizumi. It could have been an attempt from Koizumi to force the culprit to leave via the beach, leaving footprints, or an attempt to force them to move her and still have blood on them when they left the beach house. Of course, if that happened, the culprit must have been ingenious enough to find another exit, unless it was Saionji.

The weakness of this theory is that it doesn't explain how one of the witnesses entered the beach house to see the body, because anyone who entered before the tunnel was blocked would have seen Mahiru before she had actually died.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 3, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

maketakunai posted:

Extreme happiness over playing video games to "no I don't want to play them I'm terrible"? :raise: "Losing before you know what's happening" is also kinda the gimmick of the game, but would a first time player be able to figure out something like a title-screen cheat code?

Maybe they could. When Hinata was impressed by her working out the code, Nanami said "Being a gamer has nothing to do with it. It's just... you either figure out the hidden message or you don’t". That could be read as Nanami simply over-estimating the abilities of a non-gamer, but I took it to mean that it's entirely possible for a person who isn't an experienced gamer to guess the code.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

lambj3 posted:

Also, the only way the murderer could have escaped is through the window, unless it was actually Saionji who did it.

I still think there's at least a slim chance that the murderer could have left using Saionji's footprints and not used the window at all. Saionji wears predictable things, and someone could have brought and worn shoes that looked like hers and carefully left while stepping in the prints. Maybe they could have planned to leave a false trail if Saionji hadn't left by the beach side door. Saionji is likely to have the smallest feet out of everyone there, but it could still be possible for someone with slightly larger feet to manage a short distance in sandals that size. It looks as if the killer planned ahead and this wasn't an impulsive murder. They brought gummies, and they may have sent a fake letter, and they must have known that Koizumi would be there at that time. Sandals wouldn't be out of the question. If the killer hid somewhere in the building and only moved Koizumi's body over to block the door after Kuzuryuu and Saionji had come in and seen the body (with Saionji panicking and running out over the sand) then they might have been able to escape that way. Downsides to this theory are that the footprints would probably be at least a bit deeper after the killer walked in them, and that the killer would have been taking a big risk by staying in the building long enough for two witnesses to come in and see the body. But perhaps the killer didn't expect them to come by right then, and they didn't have a choice.

I have trouble imagining a murderer with an accomplice in this case, unless the accomplice was Komaeda, and he would be a dull choice for that.

ArdentGamer posted:

I don't know, but, all in all, Peko just doesn't seem like the right person. I can't quite quantify why, but I just feel like there's a lot of missing evidence for her. I mean, why use the bat when she was swimming with her kendo shinai? Or why not hide the bat in the bag with her shinai? Then again, what if she did use her shinai and the bat is a red herring she made, much like all the other ones planted in the beach house?

If Peko's the killer and she used a sword for the murder, it still makes some sense for her to plant a plausible weapon at the scene. Otherwise, people would be looking for the real murder weapon, and a girl with her sword constantly strapped to her back would tend to look suspicious. Taking the bat with her and putting it in the bag with her sword would be to run an incredibly stupid risk, because the moment someone said "Hey, Peko, we want to check your sword for any traces of blood. Open the bag." or some such, she'd be caught.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

QueerPope posted:

You know, I'm thinking that Saionji was the accomplice, though maybe not a willing one, and that that's what she's hiding. The murderer threatens to kill her too (since they can kill up to two people) if she doesn't help them through the window. Then Saionji is left with the body, so she runs off crying after an awful experience and feeling guilty for letting the murderer escape. And maybe the mask was why she doesn't know who it was? Or maybe she thinks that if the murderer is caught then Koizumi's death was in vain?

If Saionji knew who the killer was, she would surely have said so by now. A mask might work, but only if the person was very covered up otherwise as well, like Junko was when she was playing Monoluchador. Even then, she would have clues about the height and body shape of the person.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether Saionji is actually big enough to help another person through the window. The method of someone standing on another's shoulders to reach the window was demonstrated with Hinata (179cm) and Akane (176cm). But Saionji is only 130cm tall, and she doesn't weigh much either. Compared to most of the other characters, she's tiny. I know she's a dancer and probably relatively strong for her size, but even so, wouldn't it be very difficult for her to boost someone through a window that's set over 3 metres high in the wall?

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 19, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

mangoman321 posted:

If Koizumi moved there herself before death, then Mikan's autopsy report is either wrong or she is lying. I and some other have pointed out she has said a few suspicious things, but the lack of further evidence pointing to her makes this seem unlikely. Most likely the killer placed Koizumi's body against the door then used another entrance to escape.

The other problem with Mahiru crawling to the door and then dying there is that it doesn't answer how the the other body finder got in and out of the building. Saionji can be explained by either hiding in the room or being knocked out before the culprit attacked Mahiru. The culprit could have just walked out before Mahiru crawled to the door, thinking Mahiru was already dead. But the other body finder (probably Kuzuryuu) would have had to enter another way, probably via the window.

I think the only way to make that scenario work would be if Kuzuryuu was intending to spy on the meeting in the beach house, entering via the window and listening via the shower room door. That way, he could have had an accomplice to help him in and out. Maybe Peko. After noticing that the place was quiet, and going into the other room to look around, he could have found the dead body blocking the door (and an unconscious Saionji, maybe, if she wasn't in the cupboard) and fled back the way he came. I don't think we've had a lot of clues in Kuzuryuu and Peko's behaviour to support that interpretation, but I think Kuzuryuu would have a good reason to want to spy on the meeting.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

likecnsnnts posted:

Despite my above post, I absolutely think Peko's overreaction is the DR2 narrative giving us a tell.

You can either read it as a, "Oh no! I cast suspicion on someone with incorrect facts and now I feel terrible!" kind of 'what,' or a "Oh no! My frame-job is inherently flawed!" kind of 'what,' and it is totally the latter.

It could be the latter for Peko, but if we're looking at reactions to the proof about the gummies, I think Mikan's surprised response a bit earlier on to the info about Saionji only eating four flavours is more suspicious. "Huh? But, what about lemon...?" "I mean... the piece that was at the crime scene was yellow... it looked like it was lemon-flavored..." You could easily assume that yellow gummies would be lemon, as Mikan clarified, but if you were the person who obtained a bag of gummies you'd definitely know the flavour. Her response could be read as her being surprised she got the flavour of gummies Saionji likes wrong and then justifying how she knew it was lemon. Nobody else in the game before Mikan has mentioned lemon flavour in regard to that yellow gummie.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

RoeCocoa posted:

Peko knows that Kuzuryuu is going to kill someone and that she can't stop him, but maybe she can minimize the damage. Peko offers to help Kuzuryuu frame Saionji, either at his suggestion or as an alternative to killing Saionji outright.

RoeCocoa posted:

Peko has fulfilled her perceived duty to Kuzuryuu while assuring that the real killer is ultimately found out.

None of this makes any sense. Why would Peko owe Kuzuryuu that sort of duty? If she knew Kuzuryuu planned to commit a murder and she wanted to prevent any harm coming to people, the sensible thing to do would be to warn the others about him, not let him go ahead with it and promise to help him as an accomplice while leaving clues pointing towards him. That's not an act of minimising the damage.

What's Peko's thought process supposed to be? "Oh no. Kuzuryuu's planning to kill Koizumi and by extension everyone but himself, and for some reason there's nothing I can do to stop it. I guess I have no choice but to minimise the risk to everyone by helping him to get away with it. Now that I've agreed to help him, my code of ethics prevents me from telling everyone that he's the culprit, so I'll leave subtle clues for them to find."

Kuzuryuu would have to believe he had an amazingly strong hold on Peko if he thought he could trust her to help him kill someone. That's some hardcore trust right there. After all, he would be asking Peko to die for his sake and betray all the others to their deaths.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

LukanFox posted:

Since one of them would have to be the murderer (it's a bit difficult to invoke something you don't know about after all), only 2 other students would understand the 'message' of the mask. Nidai and Gundam's reactions demonstrate that they certainly don't. So what's the point?

I've got no idea how somebody else (that is, somebody who is not Kirakira) invoking Kirakira can be explained in a satisfying way in light of the lack of foreshadowing about knowledge of Kirakira among most of the cast, but there is a possibility about the meaning of the mask which could work, and that's if Koizumi was E-ko's murderer. If she was, then the pose, weapon and mask in the current case are there mostly to communicate the anger of the culprit. The mask could be a statement to say "this girl was murdered because she was a murderer" or even to indicate that Koizumi was Kirakira. It might all just be there for the satisfaction of the culprit, without any firm expectation that anyone else would know what it meant.

Someone pointed out earlier that something Monobear said indicated that he was pleased that someone solved a mystery, and from the context, it seems likely that the mystery that someone had solved was the one of E-ko's murder in Twilight Syndrome. If that's the case, then if the one who solved it was one of the three girls other than Koizumi who were friends with E-ko, they would have a motive to murder Koizumi for revenge.

As for Kuzuryuu, I don't think he works as the culprit in that scenario, because why would he kill the person who murdered his sister's murderer, and why would he leave the mask if Koizumi wasn't a murderer?

I won't be happy if Kirakira turns out to have been a member of the cast, but if they are, I think the most interesting one for them to be would be Koizumi herself. She was a photographer, and it's not unnatural for photographers to come into contact with journalists. Plus, if Koizumi was Kirakira, it might explain why someone who seemed to be a devoted friend covering for E-ko might turn around to kill her.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 26, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

TKMobile posted:

If this were correct, then we just spent half the loving trial with the majority of evidence not having a drat thing to do with the actual killing; all that time was spent exonerating just a single character.

Even though, sure, motive's not important at this stage, what opportunity was taken? This theory would still implicate either Ibuki or Mikan. Given the limited exits the killer could take, there's only enough basis to suggest they were working together form them showing up at the diner at the same time. But based on the timing of the killing, they couldn't have tagged teamed Koizumi and then rushed off to change their bloody clothes and then come back to the diner. Not to mention all the things going to implicate Sonia or Peko are senseless red herrings if its true.

I don't really understand what the possibility of Koizumi being the murderer of E-ko (regardless of whether she's Kirakira too) and that in turn being the motive for one of her friends from Twilight Syndrome murdering her would do to make the trial so far a total waste of time in that way as opposed to if it was Sonia, Peko or Kuzuryuu who did it. We know the girls from Twilight Syndrome were friends. In E-ko's case, we know that she probably committed the murder of Kuzuryuu's sister out of anger and partly because of her friendship with Koizumi. In that sense, the theme of murder because of friendship has already been introduced. Aside from that, it's not as if Dangan Ronpa is big on giving full details about motive prior to the end of a trial.

E-ko's murder hasn't been solved yet. I'm willing to bet that it'll be solved by the end of the trial, and all of the characters from Twilight Syndrome are potential culprits. Thematically, the chapter makes the most "hidden connections" sense if the murder of Koizumi was committed by one of the Twilight Syndrome characters. Of course, that doesn't mean that the Twilight Syndrome culprit absolutely has to be Koizumi or Koizumi's murderer. That could be solved independently.

If Koizumi's murder was revenge for E-ko, I wasn't actually suggesting that Ibuki and Mikan would be working together. I don't think an accomplice is essential for the crime, or that the time frame involved means that Ibuki and Mikan have an alibi for the crime. Koizumi died at about 3, and Ibuki and Mikan both got to the diner at about 3:30. It's a tighter fit for time than for some characters, but not impossible.

Because we know now with reasonable certainty that Saionji was being framed to the point of drugging her and leaving her at the scene, the Kirakira mask has become a stranger clue than before. It's true that there is evidence to support Peko as the murderer, but if she left the mask there, the most obvious reason would be so it could implicate Sonia. There's something odd about doing that after taking so much care over setting up Saionji. Similarly, if Peko is the culprit, then the question of why she copied Twilight Syndrome is also raised.

Sonia makes more sense as the culprit in light of the Saionji evidence, because she could have left the mask there not as a means to implicate somebody else but simply because she's a Kirakira fan and she thinks it's stylish to do that. Actually, Sonia also works as the culprit very well in a scenario where Koizumi was E-ko's killer. Sonia could have played the game and solved E-ko's murder, then gone ahead to murder Koizumi because of it, copying the style of the game and placing the mask there. She's probably the most logically consistent option out of the potential killers.

Of course, maybe Koizumi really was just murdered by the real Kirakira, but that would be a disappointing turn of events.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 26, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Also, the accomplice is obviously Kuryuzuu. Why? Another mystery, but he's either the first or second body-discoverer.

If Kuzuryuu is a body discoverer, he's the first one, with certainty, because Saionji hadn't run out of the beach house yet. He can be the body discoverer easily, assuming that the culprit moved the body to the door after Kuzuryuu left the beach house.

If Kuzuryuu is a willing accomplice, the theory that the accomplice helped the culprit out of the beach house through the window is shot to pieces, because Hinata and Souda saw Kuzuryuu before Saionji ran out, and the culprit was supposedly still inside the building. How did accomplice-Kuzuryuu get back inside the building to help murderer-Peko escape? But if he's not needed to help the culprit escape, what was the point of having an accomplice in the first place? And that's before we start looking at Kuzuryuu's motive and whether he'd really be willing to die for Peko.

I'd say that if there was an accomplice, it was Sonia. But Kuzuryuu looked really rattled. There are good odds that that's because he saw the body, although there might be another reason, such as if he did get the chance to talk to Koizumi.

The idea that the culprit stayed behind only to leave a gummy is hard to believe. It would make sense if there was no accomplice and the culprit had to leave via Saionji's foot prints or another solo method, though.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I can believe that Peko is Kirakira. There were even things in her free time events that suggested that, she had some odd reactions to Sonia's talk about Kirakira, and we've known all along that Sailor Moon's voice actress was one of the two specifically requested for this game. I am disappointed about it, but there are things about her being Kirakira which are good: the actual reveal where all she did was put a mask on was hilariously anti-climatic. They were actively messing with people who played DR1 there. They were practically pointing at this very thread and laughing. It could all still be a bluff, but right now I'm going to accept it at face value.

Pogosword-Peko was true all along. You know, I like a bunch of the theories people came up with in the thread better than that one. I still find that difficult to buy, even though it's more or less undisputed truth by now. Peko got up there with a SHSL swordswoman skill, but Akane with her SHSL gymnastics couldn't possibly do it on her own?

Peko was quick to try to get to the vote, so it may still be that she's covering up for Kuzuryuu, even if it would be strange for a serious minded serial killer for justice like her not to have been the one to commit the crime. The fact Kuzuryuu really does seem to be willing to die for her or for his revenge remains baffling. Koizumi covered up the crime for his sister's murderer and he wants her dead for that, but he's willing to kill everyone and die himself for that sake? I don't understand this guy. For now I'll have to assume he just wanted Koizumi dead that much.

Something Monobear said earlier suggested that somebody had solved Twilight Syndrome. The question of who killed Kuzuryuu's sister has already been answered, so that could be what he meant, but E-ko's murder still needs to be addressed in the trial. If it was Kuzuryuu who killed her, maybe that ties into his and Peko's motivation here, but if it was somebody else who did it (like Koizumi) or Monobear manufactured evidence, then maybe Monobear is planning to turn Kuzuryuu and Peko's plot back on them so that all their efforts were for nothing and whichever of them was the culprit this time would die in despair.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not related to body chat, but an idea just hit me and I can't shake it. Is it at all possible that Koizumi was Kirakira?

Koizumi as Kirakira has been suggested a few times, and personally I'm really fond of the theory (as it puts an entirely different spin on Koizumi, solves the E-ko murder, and sets up the group as a whole for an extra large helping of despair), but with Peko's revelations in the last update, the idea becomes more complicated. If we say that yes, Koizumi was Kirakira and she's the reason the mask was at the scene, we still have the problem of why Peko would be claiming to be Kirakira. Peko did seem to want people not to look at the motivation for the killing, and perhaps she might just be using Kirakira as a handy "I killed her because I'm a serial killer, no need to look for anything beyond that" reason. But if that's the case she must be covering up something big, which could be that she wasn't really the killer and was actually the first person to find the body. And if she wasn't the killer, she'd need some powerful motivation for pretending otherwise.

If Peko isn't Kirakira and the whole thing is an act for some purpose, I have to give Peko credit for being willing to wear the silly mask and spout magical girl catch-phrases as obfuscation tools. Anyway, the next update is bound to make it clear whether she's really Kirakira, because Sonia the fangirl extraordinaire is hardly going to fail to notice if she isn't.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Also... I still don't believe Peko is really KiraKira. This has to be some last-ditch effort to save her own skin, right? Like, maybe she was banking on Sonia's fandom and Compelling Voice to convince the others to let her go?

I don't think she's KiraKira, but I also don't think she seriously thought that the KiraKira act would save her. She must have had some other reason for doing that. She must have been trying to stop people from looking at her motives by essentially going "Look at me! I'm a crazed serial killer! Yes, just look at how nuts I am, I'm so nuts there's no other motive necessary!" in such a dramatic fashion. I bet she was telling the truth when she said "Such is my resolve! If one is to protect a single thing of utmost importance, one must be ready to discard everything else!" though.

Going by what we haven't found out yet, Kuzuryuu must be the first witness, and he may even have encouraged Peko to commit the murder in some way. He has a motive surrounding Twilight Syndrome and his sister's death. What I don't get at all is firstly why he would want to cover that up and secondly why Peko would go this far to cover that up for his sake. Kuzuryuu is a SHSL Gangster. His reputation is not going to be harmed because he encouraged or planned a murder or happened to come across a crime scene. There must be more to it than that. Or, perhaps, Peko is actually covering up something for Koizumi's sake, even though it's clear that Peko killed her. This could be the real parallel to case 2 of DR1, not the serial killer antics.

It would be beyond stupidity for Peko to carefully frame Saionji as the culprit and yet leave the mask as a calling card. I don't believe it. Somebody else brought that mask there. It has to be either Koizumi or Kuzuryuu. If it was Koizumi, the mask could have been hidden in her bag or something like that. If it was Kuzuryuu, I'm baffled.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 8, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Now there are only a few things we don't know for certain. First up is whether Kuzuryuu seriously told Peko to commit the murder, and his reactions strongly suggest that he didn't. Secondly would be who, exactly, killed E-ko. Kuzuyruu could have killed her, but he may not have. Koizumi tried to cover up the murder that E-ko committed, but that doesn't rule her out as E-ko's murderer either. The only reason why E-ko's murder wouldn't be addressed in this trial is if E-ko's murderer was actually Ibuki, Mikan or Saionji.

The presence of the mask at the scene of the crime isn't quite so much of a mystery as it was before. Peko might have decided to leave it there just in case she needed to pretend to be KiraKira. That would still have been risky; Sonia hadn't even come out with KiraKira's catch phrase at that point. But Peko's been taking a lot of chances anyway.

I think there's still a reasonable chance that Koizumi was either E-ko's killer or that she believed Kuzuryuu to be E-ko's killer and she wanted to kill him for revenge. Possibly even both, given the mind-wiping. If anybody in the cast has any chance of still being KiraKira, it's her. She could have been the one to bring the mask there. She was a photographer, and it wouldn't be strange for her to be able to speak Spanish or to travel and have contacts among journalists worldwide.

I'm ambivalent about Peko now. Her argument about only being a tool is interesting but deeply, deeply flawed to the extent that it shows a lot of insight into her mental state: she must really believe that she's only a tool and that her argument there can't possibly fail. The fact that she really has turned out to be a retainer of Kuzuryuu's is a bit disappointing in a way, but it does make the most sense as her motivation. I don't think we'll be getting a game over, so I can only assume that Peko's death is going to make for interesting character development for Kuzuryuu, as he must have said something to spark off Peko's murder spree, and it's going to end up with the deaths of two people he didn't really want dead. At the least, he's going to feel like a failure as a gangster for not reining in his servant.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

KingSaber1994 posted:

Nah, the conversation with Sonia about Kira-Kira was in the library, long before the murder, much less the trial.

The library was the place where Sonia first mentioned KiraKira, but update #56, which took place after Koizumi's murder, was the one where Sonia quoted KiraKira's catch-phrase. If Peko left the mask there as insurance so that she could put the mask on and start pretending to be KiraKira, she was doing so without even knowing the catch-phrase she would need to spout. What she did in the trial would be a risky gamble either way, but it was much more so if she had no sensible expectation of being able to fool Sonia at the time she left the mask there.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I really don't want Gundam, Nanami, or Saionji to die. Gundam because under the bluster he seems reasonably sensible and also quite lonely, Nanami because she's level headed and a gamer, and Saionji because she has a lot of potential for character growth and I like the way she's a jerk but has strong feelings about morality.

I would say that I don't want Nagito to die, but given that he's literally trying to persuade people to kill him I don't want to get too attached. I'll be sad if something bad happens to Monomi, as she's one of my favourite characters, but I suspect the worst is already over as far as she's concerned. I do believe her when she says she only wants the best for the kids. The only characters I'm not fond of much at all and wouldn't feel particularly sad about the deaths of are Kuzuryuu and Nidai, and it's not as if I want them to go either. Kuzuryuu has lots of character development potential, so him dying too soon could be a waste, and Nidai can shoot lightning from his eyebrows and thus automatically deserves to live.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm surprised how many people would be upset if Ibuki dies. So far I just find her shallow, annoying and grating, in the same way as a middle-school age Invader Zim fan. Is there any reason you guys like her so much?

Some of her observations are remarkably apt, to the point where I think there's a lot more thought and intelligence below the surface of her ditzy persona than one might otherwise assume. If she ever turns out to be a murderer, I bet she'll arrange a formidable case. Anyway, she also seems to serve as an audience mouthpiece at times: she expresses things in terms of fictional references and tropes fairly often. For example, when Peko started pronouncing emoticons, Ibuki went right ahead and did the same. I think she also commented earlier on about how somebody's character had changed, as if she was an observer in the audience like us. As well as all that, she also hasn't really done anything nasty to anyone yet.

I'm hoping she's going to have a lot more character development. If DR1 is a guide, whether people get more developed characterisation is a hit and miss thing. Even though they all made it to the end of the game, Asahina got a lot, but Hagakure didn't.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Alberenza posted:

Basically, I consider him the anti-Togami.

In a way, I think he is like Togami. They both have effective investigative skills and have been known to mess with crime scenes, and their tendency to see the situation as a game sometimes hampers their ability to be useful. But the similarities end there, really. Nagito seems most like a cross between Naegi in top crime-solving form and Junko. I have to wonder how Nagito and Junko would get along if they met. The closest thing to hand would be Monobear, and though it's not as if I've re-read the whole game so far, it seems to me as if DR2 Monobear doesn't find Nagito very interesting. Somebody who's going to be hopeful about bad situations in a way that's like Junko's only from the other side is probably not the type of person Monobear wants to see despairing. Actually, probably the worst thing that could happen from Nagito's perspective would be all of the super high school levels failing and him being the sole survivor.

Nagito's brand of luck seems a lot more intrusive than Naegi's. Naegi didn't seem particularly aware of it and didn't seem to rely on it either. Nagito seems much more aware of it, but his self-esteem also seems to be lower. I suppose if things are always going right for him because of luck and he's always thinking it's the luck that does it rather than his own actions, that could lend itself to low self esteem even more than somebody who just thinks of himself as average and boring.

Alberenza posted:

Is it me, or does he only act that way towards Hinata? I can't remember any time he's said anything like that to the rest of the cast.

I don't think he's acted directly condescending to any one person other than Hinata. Some things he's said make me think that he does know Hinata's talent or that Hinata doesn't have one and he knows that, but that would require him not being mind-wiped. I think it's more likely that any lack of reverence Nagito might feel towards him would be due to nobody there, including him, knowing Hinata's talent. Hinata hasn't particularly shown signs of having one, despite being effective in the trials.

Speaking of Hinata's talent, it's got to be either that he has no talent or that, like Kirigiri, his knowledge and/or talent required an extra thorough mind wipe. He doesn't really seem to have displayed any particular talent so far, though, except for the ability to mind surf through chaos emerald-style stages, and I don't think he's otherwise displayed any special analytical ability akin to Ryoko's.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm pleased that Monomi really does seem to be on the kids' side. I'm not relieved that Kuzuryuu is alive since I was getting tired of him by the end of the last case, but leaving him alive makes for a better storyline, with Saionji's understandable grudge and the potential for Kuzuryuu to go in for more character development. Maybe he's going to give rise to some hope in the end? Anyway, Komaeda was very interesting in this update, in the way he took a stand against Monobear, but I have to wonder if he's really going to change the way he's been acting based on that. He still seems fixated on the battling hopes idea. Isn't a victory for hope what he's wanted from the start, anyway?

What I really, really want to know after this update is who Monomi was talking to at the end there. She talks to that person in terms of "we" and "our plans", but also says "You can see evewything... can't you? This countdown... Can you see it too?"...which means she's not talking to someone who's right in front of her. It can't be Monobear, can it? I can't see that being a conspiratorial hope-filled chat between the two. Perhaps it's true that this game is being broadcast live as well as it was in DR1. At any rate, it looks as if the rehabilitation of Super High School Level Despairs theory is probably true. At the least, the kids must be essential in some way for the plans of that organisation.

This update and a few recent ones have cleared up a few possibilities about the timeline. It now seems clear that it must be taking place after DR1 and probably during Monoworld. With the help of that and Dangan Ronpa Zero, it's a lot easier to construct a possible timeline. Dangan Ronpa Zero is in my opinion a lot better on later reads than it is on the first, and it does contain a reasonable amount of information.

quote:

Possible Timeline

The Xth class (Izuru's?) enters the school at an unknown time.
The DR2 class enters the school a minimum of a year before the 78th class.
The 77th class (Matsuda's) enters the school.
The 78th class (Junko's) enters the school.
The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History happens.
- Fifteen students in the Xth class disappear, and thirteen of them are later found dead.
- One survivor is comatose
- One survivor is officially missing (Izuru Kamukura? Who is responsible for the incident and is actually being hidden by the committee.)
- One is probably the first person to discover the crime scene, and is probably Ryouko Otonashi.

Junko is the first to start the rumour about The Worst, Largest Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History, and she does this by sending an email to everyone at the prep school. About a month before this, fourteen of the student council were called away to study overseas and haven't been back.
The events of DR0 transpire.
The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind happens. (Monoworld)
The 78th class is confined in the school for a year.
DR1 happens.
The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind pauses?
DR2 happens.

Monomi's dialogue in the last update might indicate that the Worst Incident was paused somehow and will re-start if Monobear wins on the island, or she might have meant that it is still happening and will continue without being stopped if Monobear wins. I'm incredibly curious now about the true nature of the Worst Incident. I'd thought it sounded something like a despair virus before, but since it seems that the DR2 kids are essential for SHSL Despair and the implication here is that stopping them from falling into despair could stop the continuation of the Worst Incident, it's likely to be something else.

Looking at the classes, we've seen two people from the 77th class: Yasuke Matsuda and Yuuto Kamishiro. This means that the 77th class can't be the DR2 class, because even if we were to try to argue that Togami isn't the intruder in the class, there would still another person we can't account for. We also know that the DR2 class was present before the old school building was shut down, because we saw them in the music room in Twilight Syndrome. Because of Komaeda being in the class and the fact that only one Super High School Level Luck gets in per year, the DR2 kids have lost at least (approximately) three years, including two years of ordinary Hope's Peak school life. It's odd that they haven't noticed any changes to their bodies the way that Sakura and Kirigiri did.

The Xth class can't be the DR2 cast for several reasons, despite how incredibly appropriate it would be for them to be one and the same, considering that they're a class of 15 people who were said to have been studying overseas. Firstly, they can't be the same because of Togami. Secondly, because on the assumption the game is taking place after DR1, thirteen of the Xth class are already dead. As well as that, we know the probable names of two of the class: Ryouko and Izuru.

To go on to talk more about DR0, it's not certain that Ryouko was in that class, though, and Isshiki Madarai is another possible candidate other than her for the person in the Xth class who discovered the scene. His stated motive for his actions in DR0 is revenge for the Worst, Largest Incident in Hope's Peak Academy’s History, he wants to know the secret of the incident, he seems to think of the dead students as people he failed to protect and whom it was his job to protect, and there's one person who remains and whom he still has to protect. His abilities seem more like an assassin or a hunter, but I'm wondering if maybe he was a SHSL Bodyguard. It seems as if he was either a member of the class or someone whose job was to guard them. But if he was appointed to guard them, he wasn't in an informed position where he could have known what was going on that might have caused the incident, which is odd. The person whom he's still trying to protect is probably one of the survivors of the incident, but it can't be Ryouko, and it probably isn't Izuru. It might well be the comatose student.

The chapters with Junko and Madarai offer two differing viewpoints about Ryouko. Madarai thinks, when Ryouko is threatening him, that "It’s impossible to predict what someone in despair will do." which sounds like a great big hint that Ryouko's amazing analytical powers won't be able to predict the actions of a Super High School Level Despair like Junko. But Junko's interactions with Ryouko heighten the sense that Ryouko is potentially incredibly dangerous and that she may even have been working with Junko before she lost her memory, or at least that Junko is angling to try to get her to join Super High School Level Despair. Ryouko might have helped Junko to plan everything out. Her analytical ability is deadly, Matsuda doesn't want her to get her memory back, but Junko seems to want the opposite. She says to Ryouko that "You’re a girl who can do anything when you want to. You can even kill when you want to, y’know." Has she actually killed anyone before? If Ryouko's really an antagonist, it makes a lot of sense for DR0 to be told from the perspective of her as an amnesiac.

Junko's goals are stated then to be
1 - "To thoroughly crush down this school’s symbol of hope, Izuru Kamukura!"
2 - "...To kill the beloved darling Yasuke Matsuda!"

It looks very much to me as if one thing Junko really wants is to have Ryouko in despair and on her side. Junko has already hit amazing supervillain levels of competence in all manner of things, but you never know, she could probably use a super high school level analyst anyway.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 20, 2013

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Just what I've been waiting for, more of DR Zero! I know people have said the light novel is clunky, but the translation quality is very good, and I don't think the source material is bad at all. It's just been limited at times because the character most of it has been narrated by so far is an amnesiac with a narrow focus on Matsuda.

This update is very interesting. Firstly, the fact that Ryouko remembers Matsuda is now very touching in light of his history, and it throws doubt upon whether Matsuda would really want Ryouko to not regain the rest of her memory. Some of his actions before made it seem as if perhaps his real goal was not to help her memory the way he claimed but to stop it returning. It's hard to imagine Matsuda doing that after this chapter.

Another thing is that Matsuda says that Soushun Murasame is in the same class as him, but that can't mean that the class affected by the Worst Incident is Matsuda's, surely? Matsuda is in the 77th class, as is Kamishiro. I don't think it's possible. Unless, perhaps, the class that disappeared wasn't a class per se but was a Student Council consisting of people from multiple classes, which would mean that Murasame could be from the 77th class without the same being true of all of the Student Council members. It was implied before that the Student Council were the ones affected by the incident, because the rumour Junko started was that fourteen of the Student Council had gone to study overseas.

Now we know, Junko must at least have been directly involved in, if not the cause of, the Worst Incident in the first place. It makes some sense that she would be involved directly rather than just happening to find about an incident that had already occurred.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

TKMobile posted:

What if the whole drat class this time were all prep students?

I don't think that's likely, unless the flashbacks in the previous chapter were fake. Twilight Syndrome and the associated real photographs took place in the old main building of Hope's Peak. The prep school is stated to be in a different part of the campus, and it's also mentioned that the Hope's Peak students and the prep school students don't intermingle much because of that. I believe the photo of we saw of Kuzuryuu's dead sister took place in the very same music room we saw back in Dangan Ronpa 1, inside the school, and the DR2 characters in the old photos are all wearing Hope's Peak uniforms. Granted, we don't know what the prep school uniform looks like. But at the least, I'd say that on the face of it, Ibuki, Mikan, Mahiru and Saionji are ruled out as prep students.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

LukanFox posted:

I'm positive that there will be some sort of reveal later that some sort of nasty event happened that forced the Steering Committee to let Hinata into the main school, and I'm positive that Hinata will have received a 'talent title' related to this event.

That seems to fit quite well with what we know of Hinata from the first update of the game. It's clear that unless what he remembered there was fake, he had finally got into the main Hope's Peak school, and he outright says that he got there under unusual circumstances, although he also says that it wasn't a big deal. It would be an unusual circumstance for somebody to actually transfer from the prep school to the main school, given that the system was never intended to actually do that. Hinata might not be aware that the system was rigged, but he would probably still know that it was rare to get into Hope's Peak via the prep school.

orenronen posted:

That has always been my one and only ambition...

That has always been my one and only ambition...

Always always always always always alwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwa

ysalwaysalwaysMeMyselfconsciousNonIndividualityembarrassinguniformityjustwhatHopeI

talent▲individualitybrokenPprobably■finallyIalways○DdomyBestmydreamcomestrue~+i*

But the above bit of Hinata's thoughts is strange as hell. It does mention "talent" so it's possible that hints to his talent are in there, but the most prominent thing in there seems to be "nonIndividuality" and "individualitybroken". That might be of the most use in terms of an extreme acting-related talent, but Hinata in the rest of the game so far hasn't displayed the sort of exaggerated method acting taking on of other people's traits or lack of individuality that might be associated with that. There doesn't seem to be an indication that he has a talent-copying skill either.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Rith posted:

I'm not sure that Hinata's been depicted as especially self-confident; Komaeda's claim here is just bizarre Komaeda-logic. Merely associating with Super High-school Level students, in Komaeda's eyes, is an incredibly bold and audacious thing to do if you're not on the same level as them.

While I agree that Hinata isn't depicted as having self-confidence as a defining characteristic, and that Komaeda is using twisted Komaeda-logic, I don't think Komaeda was entirely wrong in what he said this update. Hinata is interesting. Maybe Komaeda doesn't know, but we know for a fact that Hinata is somebody who outright reveres and worships Hope's Peak. One might imagine that somebody like him with that strength of reverence for the school would treat the school's actual students with some reverence too, even if he also had a talent he treated as legitimate, unlike Komaeda with his. But Hinata doesn't treat the rest of the class with reverence at all. He does, briefly, speak unusually politely and have to remind himself that the people are his classmates as well as super high school levels, but that's not much at all considering how much value he places on Hope's Peak. He's remarkably level-headed about it all.

Looking at the first update again, the sort of language he's using is centred on personal aspiration, ambition and pride. He says he wanted to go there "so I, too, could stand proud". Based on the above things, I'd say it's not the amazing students that are the important thing to Hinata, but the overall school and the idea of him belonging to that particular community. It's not as if he's desperate to be there among his personal heroes. Komaeda is the one who's in awe. If we assume that the DR2 kids were around outside in Monoworld, Hinata might have been more upset than most people about the destruction wrought on Hope's Peak.

It's hard to guess whether somebody with Hinata's level of reverence for the school would be willing to work in the prep school's Parade. On the one hand, he had a strong drive to get to Hope's Peak proper, which sounds like a great motive for taking action. I wouldn't totally rule out the theory of him being happy with going to Hope's Peak without a talent or with a talent that doesn't quite make it to super high school level. On the other hand, protesting against Hope's Peak might be something like sacrilege for Hinata, and a betrayal of his sole lifelong dream and ambition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Endorph posted:

That's entirely my point. If being 'SHSL' meant 'being the best,' than Owari would already be living up to that potential. Hope's Peak is (or, well, was :v:) about fostering talents and giving them room to grow, not bringing in people who were already perfect.

While that's true, it's not entirely about fostering the talents of the students. DR0 talks about how all the teachers are scientists who are gung ho about researching human talent. They're bringing in exceptional people in order to study them.

The requirements for joining the school are "One must be a high-school student" and "One must be top in their respective field". There would be no point in specifying high school level if all of the super high school levels were by definition the best in the world as opposed to the best in their age bracket, but there are people at Hope's Peak who clearly have superhuman talents that far surpass that. Sakura, Chihiro, Ryouko, and Mukuro would be in that category.

• Locked thread