Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

HGH posted:

Best of all though, no more "JUNKOS" for 50% of the thread! ...Unless Junko's ghost somehow shows up to murder everyone again or something.

:siren: Hey everyone! :siren:

JUNKOS got way out of hand in the last thread, and I'm gonna be strictly hitting for it in this thread. Do not invoke the JUNKOS meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nipponophile posted:

Scarf ninja? Dude's obviously a Super High School Level Warlock.

I'm seeing Dark Ishimaru personally, but who knows.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If they were worried about being locked in, why weren't people waiting to try and get out through the door the second it opened?

You're right, that is weird. I think they all sorta woke up inside, and Fatgami seems to confirm it... except he previously says "Why don't you come into the room?" which would mean, yeah, our hero was already outside when he said that?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
The sad part is due to the stupid translation ROMhacking crap I spent awhile on, you know the hex in the intro movie?

It's Japanese. They're two-byte characters, and a bunch are prepended with "82" which is a shift-JIS encoding format for Kana. I think hiragana, with katakana being 81, but I forget which is which and as I'm typing this, maybe the other way around.

There might be a hidden message there, especially considering the sequence ends in a 0D 0A, which is an old-school PC linebreak... but damned if I'm spending any more brain cells on that.

edit2: If anyone wants to transcribe that crap, I think you can put it in an HTML file, open with Firefox, and change the encoding to Shift-JIS to see the Japanese... It's been a long time since I did crap like this though.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 12, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SevenDice posted:

Well, it appears the DR2 thread has officially gone gold, and only after about half a day and a single update. Congratulations are in order.

Well, I would like to point all your attention to something: It's not a very high-rated gold thread. You're right that oren and Fedule are due congratulations, but...

This thread is full of a lot of ... kinda crummy posts.

There's a couple rulebreaking low-content things that I've hit for, but this is pretty much 11 pages of repeated posts like "Here's what I think about the art of this one character, and who it could possibly be a retread of in the first game" ad nauseum. I understand there's obviously not much to talk about based on one update, but it's mostly 11 pages of just that.

I'm saying maybe I have to enforce this more strictly:

Lowtax posted:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 12, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
edit: nevermind. (haha)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

KamikazePotato posted:

Honestly, I think the main reason Dangan Ronpa hasn't been localized is because it's a PSP game. If it was on the DS, some company may have taken the plunge after seeing several VNs do well on the DS outside of Japan. The PSP is just too dead-in-the-water outside of Japan to justify bringing anything over. For reference, not even Square is localizing their PSP games anymore, and that's a big company. A small company is kind of just asking for it.

Dangan Ronpa 1 is out on iOS and Android, so you could do well here.

Speaking of which, now to start checking the Japan App Store again.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

KamikazePotato posted:

How well do games like that do on iOS/Android, though? I'm actually not sure. I know Square has tried to break into that market a couple times but I'm pretty sure they haven't had much success.

Best bet would be something like Dangan Ronpa on Steam, but that has no chance of happening.

To tell the truth, I don't know. DR on iOS has a lot going for it - it does IAP but gives you a lot of content (Chapter 1) for free. Plus it's Unity, so it's... you know, fairly easier to develop than doing it from scratch.

But it's funny you mention because Unity also lets you output to PC and Mac, so a Steam version shouldn't be that hard for Spike/Chunsoft to actually develop, although apparently licensing stuff and getting it in the Steam store has its own issues - again, to be fair, I'm not well versed on it.

Ekusukariba posted:

If it is a computer simulation then that could explain why Togami is fat, he messed up his avatar settings, and if the Naegi is Nagito theory is correct then I can totally imagine Nagito as what Naegi thinks is a cool looking person

Just to make sure, all these "computer simulation" theories are based on:

- A possibly stylistic choice of a "glitching" vision of Hajime at Hope's Peak Academy
- Some almost definitely stylistic choices of a hex dump and video game style graphics, the latter of which was in the first game (see: when characters were voted guilty)

We don't have, really, anything to go on in terms of what's happening. For theories like that, they need to be based on what the characters are actually seeing and saying and doing; not just what the game is presenting to the player. (I don't think the guy in The Space Journey actually saw a planet and moon with big faces.) In fact right now, story-wise, all we have to go on in terms of connections to the first game are an overweight Togami and Hope's Peak Academy.

Speculation is fun, but... we're two updates in. There's nothing to base anything on.

AbusePuppy posted:

Also, the hex text doesn't strike me as particularly spoilery, lacking any other knowledge of the game beyond what's posted so far. I assume it's some sort of "Oh of course" sort of thing that would make sense later, but right now it's just kinda... some words.

Just to be clear to everyone else, the OP said the translation counts as spoilers (though vague and currently nonsensical), so please do not post it in the thread.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Queued up some more people for low content posts. No cares about avatars you want, stop congratulating someone on just posting a loving thread and stop speculating on the entire game's plot, we are two loving updates in.

edit: And yes, we know someone is gonna die in a murder mystery plot! Stop just guessing who it could be!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 12, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Unless I hear otherwise from the OP, I'm not considering events from Dangan Ronpa 1 to be probatable spoilers in this thread. In fact, DR0 seems like a pretty clear indicator of spoilers for DR1, even if they're not directly saying it.

However, I am telling you not to post nutso theories about how this game is related to the first one, unless they relate to updates from THIS thread.

Also we get it, we don't know what the deal with DR2's Byakayu Togami and how it relates to DR1's outside of the sprite art, their related actions, and their name, so don't clog the thread with "I think it's him/family member/clone" unless you have some dialogue from the previous or current updates to go with it.

In fact, for speculation in general, don't just wildly guess! Base it on something beyond gut feelings! I don't want some idiot throwing out "Oh this was all just a robot Chihiro made from the first game (but I can't be bothered to explain why I think that other than just throwing ideas out there for no reason)" and then idiotically going "Yep, called it!" if it happens and acting like they're Sherlock-loving-Holmes. It's not fun when we all just yell out answers randomly.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 12, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I dunno. It just feels to me that having a "hint" like that and then not explaining it (which essentially means it was just a coincidence, in-universe) is kinda lazy. Especially in a detective story like DR, where a big part of the experience is trying to figure out the mystery on your own.

Something I don't think has been brought up. If Nagito's the new Naegi, doesn't that make us the new Kirigiri?

Hajime Hinata is an alliterative name, just like Kyouko Kirigiri.

I think there might be connections (besides Togami), but I think this is a stylistic method of making the sequel have familiar-feeling characters, which it couldn't otherwise do because, well, most of the DR cast is dead.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
One for orenronen and Fedule:

In Japanese, does Usami come across... annoying?

This baby talk thing is getting on my nerves a little, and I'm starting to dislike the character. If it's not intentional, maybe it could be dialed back? Like these two lines:

"Aww, did I startle you? I'm vewy sowwy."

"Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apowogies. They're vewy impawtant!"

As you said in the previous editorial anecdote, you're not doing it everywhere (see: startle), so can't it just be "very sowwy" or "vewy sorry"? Or one of the 3 times you did it in the second sentence?

It could just be me, and you're both doing good with the work all in all, but I feel like you're laying it on a little thick with Usami.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

windylion posted:

I nearly spat my drink on my computer.

This "Hope Shards" thing is reminding me of Harvest Moon or a dating sim where you have to get heart levels or whatever. That's the true despair in this game: Hajime has to date everyone, including Fatgami, and then you get sex scenes straight out of Fate/Stay Night. Mollusks, anyone?

Hey, Yamada! Nice to see you bought an account here!

Anyway, I'm personally pro the revised version, for reasons I stated earlier. Again, it wasn't awful or badly-written the way before, but it kinda made me dread Usami's scenes. This version isn't nearly as annoying, but her speech still comes through.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe we should just see how the next update goes. I'm sure there's tons of people who feel the revision's great/didn't go far enough/went too far. Maybe when we see new content, we'll feel like now Usami's missing something... or that she's more tolerable.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Fedule posted:

Alright, I think we've heard enough.

We're not going to change how Usami speaks. The idea was simply to look into the merits of dialing it back a bit - which, it seems, are many! Certainly the proposed change has gone over well.

Now, the real question is whether to retcon the last Anecdote.

E: Don't answer that.

This means the matter is settled. Please do not continue posting how you like/dislike it.

Also in case you don't read the Leper's Colony:

edit: I'm showing that to let you know I'm hitting for it. If you're new to SA, or only post in this thread, you should be reading the Leper's Colony, because I am aggressively hitting who I can. It's like a honeypot for bad posting. I seriously voted 5 just because of that!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 14, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Why don't we shelve the conversation until we get another update and can point to specific aspects of the updates? We can argue abstractly about transliteration vs. localization and translator notes for at least 100 more pages and get nowhere.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Vyxzuw posted:

Well, you CAN insult someone in much the same way in English, but it's done with tone and not the actual language. Such as using sarcasm or purposefully talking really slowly like you're talking to a child.

Of course tone isn't conveyed in text as easily in English as it can be in Japanese.

Are you loving kidding? Two posts up!

Everyone has to TRY to read the thread. I am so sick of reposted Naegi=Nagito theories, and repeated time travel theories.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 15, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

...So the engine block is crushing his leg and/or crotch. That seems like it'd really make him the worst mechanic!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Ghost Kitten posted:

Maybe what? What are they trying to imply with this line? :psyduck:

I read it like Hinata's saying "He talks to animals? That's ridiculous! ...Then again, he raised hamsters in his muffler... is it possible he really can talk to animals? No, that's ridiculous, what am I thinking!"

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
You know, I am an SHSL critic if you need my services. And again, I appreciate all the hard work Fedule is putting in, so I promise this is coming from a good place.

I don't mind the concept of Fedule's "not in the know" interjectons vs. oren's "in the know"... but the execution...

I think it's a good idea in general, but right now the commentary's too vague. It's so vague, it doesn't add anything because I don't know what the hell he's referring to half the time. I'm fine with Fedule encountering Nagito and giving his interpretation of things, but:

"Are they... are they really doing that?"
"Wow, they really are."
"I can't believe this."

Just aren't really communicating what he's thinking about it. (Those were paraphrased examples; here's some more specific stuff.)

From update 2:

Tutorial posted:

But that's not all! Should you press the triangle button, a mysterious power will reveal to you the places you can interact with.
Having such a strange power at your disposal from the very beginning is super-useful.

Well, then. We recommend that you explore this sandy beach in order to advance the story.

Fedule posted:

That does sound super-useful. Looks like they’ve learned a lesson!

Your joke is one sentence too late, and I'm not really sure what you meant. In fact, I think if you had broken up the tutorial text just to interject it, it would've been fine and helped the delivery. But it's stil; vague.

Are you referring to the fact that the "Investigation" power-up wasn't immediately available in the PSP version of Dangan Ronpa 1? Maybe it threw me because the game moved onto "we recommend you explore this beach" but I wasn't sure what joke you were making.

I don't think a whole lot of us remembered the Investigation power-up in general because it's a gameplay thing oren mentioned once and never referenced again since, after all, he knew what items to get.

Here's another that threw me:

Game: Super High-school Level Good Luck: Nagito Komaeda

Fedule posted:

Okay, I don't mind this. It seems like it could be a good setup for something. But then... you don't say anything until the Student ID cards when:

"Hajime Hinata
Height: 179cm / Weight: 67kg / Chest: 91cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: January 1
Hates: Sakura-mochi
Title: Super High-school Level ???

A mochi is a type of Japanese confectionery. It’s basically a rice dumpling, often filled with some kind of paste (usually made of red beans). Kusa-mochi (lit. grass mochi) is made with mugwort leaves. Sakura mochi is made and decorated with cherry blossom leaves. "

Fedule posted:

Blood types! They are learning!

First up, the joke's again too late. I've moved on from seeing "Blood type: A" to the other stats and then the translation note about the "mochi." But a bigger problem?

I've read that like 3 times and I have no idea what you're talking about. What are they learning? Why is including blood types better than not including them? I mean, I kinda remember they didn't include blood types in the first game, but... I don't get how that's useful information either way.

Right after it?

"Nagito Komaeda
Height: 180cm / Weight: 65kg / Chest: 84cm / Blood type: O
Birthday: April 28
Hates: Loud places
Title: Super High-school Level Good Luck"

Fedule posted:

Permit me to save you all some time; don’t bother looking it up. Carry on.

I don't think anyone knew what you meant; tons of people looked it up afterwards. Honestly, I never bought into "Nagito really is the same person as Naegi" so for me, it took a bit to understand what you were talking about.

Just be clearer. Hell, it might even feel like you're talking down to us, but rephrasing it like:

"Permit me to save you all some time; his card stats don't match Naegi's. Carry on."

Lets me know what you're talking about. Similarly, when Nagito mentions looking up the other students on the web:

Fedule posted:

Oh, for - they’re doing this deliberately, aren’t they?!

I'm still not sure what you mean. If you mean "They're drawing even more parallels between Nagito and Naegi," then I guess so.

You're not doing bad things in the general case, I just think you need to stop assuming "I'm (mentally) there with you."

edit: I feel like a bit of a dick since I've done nothing but criticize you so far. I think you're both doing fine, and it's hard to compliment either one of you, since it's hard to know who's writing what. I like your editorial notes a lot, and I hope I'm not coming across as some know-it-all wannabe writer type.

The Doom/Dolittle line was very good.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 17, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Prison Warden posted:

That doesn't work at all though? The entire joke is that the pronunciation example she is using is from her own name, rendering the entire thing utterly pointless. That would be the normal way to help explain how something is pronounced. I got the joke, but purely through watching too much anime.

I figured it's something like when you spell your name over the phone. Like "That's Ibuki. I for Ibuki, B for Buki, U for Uki, K for Ki, and I for Ibuki."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
If you're offended by word choice, please take it outside of the thread. PM or email the OP or Fedule, but the "boke" conversation has gone as far as it's going to here.

edit: vvvv ...

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 20, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Skunkrocker posted:

Ah, cool. I missed that post then. The rumors I was hearing were coming from non-Goons, so that would explain it.
It's still awesome, but I'm holding out for an American Android release. The game doesn't seem to have much replay value outside trying to increase your score in the trials, but I'd like to support Spike monetarily so they understand the west wants more stuff from them.

If you want the Japanese version of DR1, there's an Android app that lets you bypass region check but I don't know what it is. So long as it doesn't circumvent payment, I'm okay if someone wants to post about it.

Getting the iOS app is easy, though I had trouble paying for the full version.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

The process of acquiring a Japanese iTunes card is easy, the game of roulette that is whether or not the game will download, play, and allow you to buy IAP without Apple being dicks about it is an entirely different story

Put it all in black

This is exactly it. Everyone told me getting the card, redeeming the yen, and getting the in-app purchase was no big deal. I got a "Please contact iTunes Support" error when I actually tried to do it.

I e-mailed Apple (Japan) a couple times, and i was finally able to get it... but keep in mind the last e-mail I was sent was "Your account is in violation of iTunes Terms of Service"

But after that e-mail I was able to do it? So I have no idea.

I really don't think it'll mess up your account; just buyer-beware on spending the money.

Or, as an app-developer, someone should just ask Spike-Chunsoft to make the game available in the US/Europe stores. There's no great reason not to.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Happy Holidays, Dangan Ronpa 2 thread!

If you didn't know, Diabetus and I do a Let's Play/Retsupurae themed podcast called "retsutalk". I figured you guys would like this episode in particular. Warning! This contains spoilers for the entirety of Dangan Ronpa 1. (There was also a Virtue's Last Reward spoiler, but I bleeped it out.)

Anyway...

Retsutalk Episode 16: Super High School Level LPer Orenronen's Extracurricular Lesson

(In which orenronen and I talk about Dangan Ronpa for about 100 minutes.)

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 24, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

pun pundit posted:

I am going traveling tomorrow, so I went to the retsutalk blog to get the .mp3, so I can listen on my phone. It's not up there yet, but I noticed when there that the link to the episode 10 mp3 is dead. I hope you can fix that.

To warn you, with the holidays, I don't think this'll be fixed by tomorrow but I'll see if I can throw up the MP3 on Dropbox later tonight if that helps.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

persistentminiboss posted:

Between that video and some comments in the retsutalk episode I'm really hoping this game doesn't put quite as much focus on the whole "anime girls in swimsuits at the beach" thing as I'm worrying its going to.

The impression I got talking to oren (in the podcast) is that there's some fanservice-y stuff, but if you give the game the benefit of the doubt, it gets better in how it treats the characters once you're past it.

DaveWoo posted:

So her last name is Nevermind, and she comes from the country of Novoselic? One of the writers is definitely a Nirvana fan.

I thought this in the first thread with "All All Apologies" being used as both a track and episode title.

Son Conan posted:

Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Sexual Predator

I kinda read him (right now) as more of a pathetic idiot. He just got lucky that Sonia's possibly even more naive herself.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

While Hanamura is almost certainly a creep, I think people are taking his line about the snake bite too seriously. It seems like he was just loving with Sonia and wanted to see how far he could push it until she caught on.

He just seems like an rear end in a top hat kid with some sexual frustration.

Agreed. I think he's just a blue comic relief type. I'm not too concerned.

VoidBurger posted:

This is a matter worthy of serious discussion! I'm wondering what the hell a T-back is. Does he mean a thong or g-string?

According to Google, he means thong, but I was confused too.

Also you can tell Nagito isn't Naegi because instead of "We will stop you. Forcibly," Naegi would've thought "Hmmm. Should I say something here? Oh, well. The opportunity's passed. Maybe next time."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

So was ultragoon from the last LP, but ultragoon was actually funny. This is just frat boy creepy.

Oh, it's creepy to be sure. What I mean is, I'm getting a Leisure Suit Larry vibe from him. Like I think he talks a big game, but in the Free Time events, it might turn out he's never actually succeeding in wooing. Right now, I can more just laugh off the fact that he seems like a jerk/loser. He reminds of one of those characters that sets themselves up for a lot of social pratfalls.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
^^^ Larry is definitely more likable and never crosses the line into out-and-out weirdo. At least I don't recall it.

persistentminiboss posted:

I was trying to figure out what he felt like, and Leisure Suit Larry is definitely hitting the nail on the head there. I seriously doubt that this kid's actually anywhere near as slick as he fancies himself to be.

Thinking about it some more, it's especially telling that he doesn't try to hide it from Hajime or Nagito. In his mind, he's a suave ladies man, and surely other guys on the island are wondering about Pekoyama's underwear, right? But the reality probably doesn't match that, which is why I think...

Anoia posted:

In that case, I can't wait for him to try and make a move on a less (outwardly?) naive girl... Pekoyama, perhaps. :black101:

Exactly, yeah, I think they're setting him up for things like that where he gets admonished by the other students for being a weirdo, but never quite learns from it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hanamura is crude, but judging by his line: "That Sonia-san over there seems to be surprisingly naive. I mean, aren't princesses supposed to have a certain level of common sense?", it seems to me that he wasn't really expecting it to work at all, I don't think he was actually trying to trick her.

Although in that case, I'm not sure why he'd even risk getting slapped by trying.

I got this. I'm going speculation for the first time in this thread.

Hanamura's full of poo poo. I bet if that scene had actually progressed before interruption, he'd have totally been afraid to go through with it. I bet you anything he talks a big game, but if push came to shove, he'd back down in a heartbeat.

And while we're here, I bet his cooking loving sucks.

I should spoiler tag all that, because I am on the loving money.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SingerOfW posted:

I know it should be in the DR general thread, but everyone's been commenting on it here, so

Just for the record, Oren approached me for the podcast (after I off-handedly mentioned I'd gladly have him on.) I think he wanted to say something about DR2, and I asked him if he'd like it posted here when we were done talking.

My job is to keep this thread... I'll say "on track" and to that end, if there's stuff you might need to know about, in terms of fanservice and a greater emphasis on sexual humor, with the caveat that the characters are more well-rounded than they may first appear, I'm happy to oblige.

It's kind of why I'm saying "let's take things with a grain of salt." The game hasn't even fully set up, and I am worried about it going to hell if things go further in that regard. I do buy that DR2 is setting this stuff up to screw with us, based on the first game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Teddles posted:

I think that the only application where this chat is alright is if you're an actual, real life, gymnastic trainer/team manager picking who to train and send to the Olympics. In the context of an anime game that isn't even about sports of any kind, it's very :spergin:.

Can we just call it fanservice and move on?

I do agree; I think, in general, DR2 is heavier with the fanservice for some reason. But as far as Akane is concerned, there's really not too much more to discuss with regards to "her body-type is atypical for what most would consider a real-life gymnast's". (Likewise for Aoi as a swimmer, or frankly, Sakura as a wrestler.)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

End derail...

Huh? No, it was a fine, educational contribution. Thanks.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

I'd been staring at the report for this (Report Reason: "Really inappropriate fanart.") and it's funny because the report title really made this look inappropriate...

...Except the joke didn't quite make sense... but Internet fanart can be weird. I guess it wasn't probatable... just weird...

So I let the report sit and returned to it today, still undecided if it was actionable or creepy or what. Zorak saw the report too and asked me about it, and I actually said "ohhhhhhh!" when I realized it's thin Togami unzipping his fat suit.

I feel like it's one of those things where half of you will say, "Well, yeah, slowbeef, of course it is." But for people like the reporter and myself, I'll just leave it at "Phew."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
:siren: Okay, enough. :siren:

I'm happy with things like:

- Don't go to TVTropes
- Watch out for YouTube recommendations, and here's how to avoid it...

Stop telling us what you were spoiled on.

Sometimes you bastards think you're being vague, but it gives away a little. Don't do this.

Bland posted:

And the walls were painted with viscera after the fact to set the mood I imagine

For the record, I really like this comeback for some reason.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 31, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Skunkrocker posted:

* Whore may have been too strong of a word. Skank? Rake? Jezebel?

Wow you are loving awful at damage control.

How about we just say "she has less inhibition than the others" and leave it at that?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Everybody shut the gently caress up about the dumb swimsuit thing.

...And someone get on explaining how the crossdressing thing is "obvious." Can't a guy just not want to swim?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Sherringford posted:

This is just my opinion and I'm probably just weird about this so feel free to ignore what I'm gonna say. But most of that stuff is basically just a guess. Like most speculation up to this point seems to be based on trying to predict the plot by just calling out random plot twists and hoping it's right somehow. I mean, this isn't like the Chihiro case where there was some fairly good evidence for that to be the case with the gender assigned rooms, the murder location and all that. Now people are just sort of saying it's obvious based on what comes down to a gut response to it. The stuff in the post I quoted doesn't really prove or even(in my opinion) make it more likely for that to be the case. It's just a random shot in the dark with justifications that don't really make the theory any more likely.

I liked the speculation for the last game a lot because as much as we acted like silly idiots and got stuff wrong all the time, it was all based on stuff that actually happened in the game. Now it sort of feels like the thread is just trying to predict every possible twist with no actual basis and that's pretty boring. I mean, say that those shots in the dark turn out to be correct. Even then, what's the point in 'calling' something happening if you just get it right out of dumb luck as opposed to connecting the dots here and there? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much point in that. Theories like that just sort of seem to me like going "Yeah I have no idea how character X is the culprit, but he seems suspicious so I think he is the culprit" and then fist pumping the air later if that turns out to be right even though you never said anything in the first place.

I'm not a fan of that kind of speculation, 'is what I'm getting at. I don't know if it's just me or whatever, but yeah.

You are 100% correct, and I said the same thing in a previous post. The baseless speculation is really stupid, and I'd actually like it reported. It's tough to "legislate" but wild guesswork is just white-noise.

It's the same for the virtual reality theories. There's just no information presented in the game to base a lot of this on, it's just throwing darts and hoping they hit.

Skunkrocker posted:

I think we want to guess what happens before it does so we can feel all smart and special.

poo poo like this is why you get one update, and 100+ posts that all say the same thing.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know. Instant weather change at the push of a button is a pretty good argument. Super high school technobabble nonwithstanding, that's just not something that even can happen in the real world.

I do know.

Most of the virtual reality theories came before that, based on a "glitchy" looking image. AFTER UPDATE ONE. Nothing more.

Sherringford's right. There's no logic or evidence presented. It makes really trying to guess what happened not as fun, and it's white noise.

edit: My point is that people are just guessing everything. It really is crazy to say "This person exhibiting anti-social behavior doesn't want to do what the rest of the group is doing? It's obviously a crossdresser." It's just not enough.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It can just as easily be argued that the sky changed black is a thematic thing rather than "Oh hey, we're in a virtual reality world," especially since this game is not really bound to any sort of reality whatsoever. I mean, you're not gonna say that DR1 is some sort of virtual reality because Mondo turned to butter when he was put through high speeds and the game has a hacker character.

It's not really even a theory, too.

It's virtual reality that explains why Monomi teleports and transmutes cows into chickens? Or the weather? Okay.

Why?

Who set up the simulation? Are the students themselves real a la the Matrix or computer programs? What's gained from simulating this? Why this setting? Why does the simulation have anything to do with that? How is Togami real in the first game, but in VR the second? Who the hell are these other people?

Saying "It's VR!" is just wildly trying to guess one aspect of the mystery so you can look smart. But it's dumb because there's just no information to flesh any of it out. gently caress, this could all be actual smoke and mirror like Nagito suggested. In fact there's no alternate theories, because we still don't have a ton of information.

• Locked thread