Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Just posting to say that I've spent the last week or so reading through this thread and the books, and it's a really awesome idea. I've caught up now, except for The Ponson Case which I'm yet to track down a copy of - can't get it for Kindle in my country.

I won't post any speculation for this one, since I've read it before - can't quite remember the ending, but don't want to accidentally draw attention to significant clues or anything. Looking forward to participating in the next book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I'm keen too, if the thread is still going.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

For the first assignment read up to the end of chapter 3.

Right then.

It appears that Merriman is the hero of our tale, perhaps assisted by his friend Hilliard. Other notable characters are Coburn, who runs the mill, his daughter, and Henri, a driver. There seems to also be various workmen and at least one more driver.

The mystery as it stands is why does Henri keep changing the number on his lorry, and why did Miss Coburn and Henri freak out when Merriman noticed this? And how can the pit prop trade be profitable?

I have to say, I am intrigued. I suppose that Henri could just be superstitious about numbers, or trying to pass one lorry off as another for some reason. But why? I think our intrepid sleuths should investigate where the lorries go to when they leave the mill.

Meander fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 4, 2013

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Hobnob posted:

So not much new information, or at least not that will help us unravel the mystery.
We have the people who are in on the scheme: Coburn, his daughter (probably), Captain Beamish, the engineer Bulla, and Henri. Plus at least one other on the UK side, the only one we know the name of is Archer. I think the other workers at the mill (and crew of the boat?) are probably not part of the enterprise, so the number-swapping is probably to fool them.

Still not sure why the swapping is being done. It strikes me that whatever they're smuggling has to be picked up from somewhere, so maybe it's done to disguise the movement of the lorry that's picking up the goods - perhaps it's a longer trip away. (Or alternately, if they're smuggling something from England to France (what?), the goods will need to be delivered somewhere at the French end.)

I agree that the number swapping appears to be for the benefit of the mill workers. And since the boat's involved, then smuggling seems likely. But what? Drugs?

They need to see where in Bordeaux those lorries go - particularly when Henri is driving one.

Meander fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 4, 2013

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I wonder Madeleine is now?

So Coburn went to the syndicate meeting on the Thursday. It must have been held in England, (maybe in Hull owing to the train ticket). He survives the meeting, and a couple of days later he and Madeleine check out of their hotel, and only then does the murder occur. No real surprise that it took the syndicate a few days to make their plans. But where could Madeleine be now?

I also really want someone to go to France and follow Henri and his mysterious trucks. Even the characters keep bringing up the idea but haven't followed through. I'm sure it would blow the case wide open. They should also find out what was in the shed, and whether those 'aspirin' pills shown to Merriman were actually aspirin.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I'm still in.. If Autumncomet doesn't reappear shall we just keep going?

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Yes, I like the pipe/refuelling idea. It seems the only possible way, if the cargo isn't being brought off by passengers or crew and isn't in the pit props.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Should we keep going with the book? The thread is all quiet but I want to know what happens.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Well that explains that I guess. I hope the numberplate thing is solved next - I think that perhaps if they'd looked at that first, the whole thing would come clear. Still hoping for a last minute twist though.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Sure, let's do it.

I'm definitely in for another book too, after this one.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Finished - not a bad ending. The last minute attempt at a twist kept it somewhat interesting but could have felt a bit more dramatic. It was also a bit annoying that Hilliard, Merriman, and Madeleine hardly featured in the final resolution - more realistic, yes, but I didn't really get much of a feel for the Inspector's character in his section.

I'm pleased that the number plate mystery had a satisfying explanation.

And it seems like the author still had a few extra SUGGESTIONS saved up, because there were a lot in that last section.

A good mystery though, looking forward to the next one.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Excellent! I am not certain whether I have read this or not - if it starts looking familiar I will still read along with the thread but will not speculate.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Skuto posted:

So is anyone else besides me and ProfessorProf on the same version?

Looking back I only see Meander left and he wasn't sure if he'd already read the book.

Autumncomet, do you mean you'll continue when the others have caught up until your chapter 5 point? If there's no replies here in 1 week I will catch up with you.

That's "she" but yes, pretty sure I have read this so will read along with the thread but will keep quiet on speculation.

Incidentally and slightly off-topic for the mystery lovers in this thread that are also goony enough to like Let's Plays, there's a good LP with an interactive mystery solving component going on at the moment in this thread that I have been getting into.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Just got the book, will get started tonight. Looks pretty interesting on the Amazon page.

Edit: Ok got caught up, and so far I think that whoever killed Marcus did it in part to take the heat off Marjorie. This makes the most likely candidate Dr Joe, as a family member. However, he is being slightly too suspicious at this point. George would also be a suspect for that reason - obviously not as the mystery interloper but he could have put the poison somewhere else (in a glass of water or something) where Marcus would eventually drink it or come into contact with it. Given Marcus seemed fine after eating the green capsule, I think it's likely that the poison was not actually in the capsule at all.

I thought initially that it might have been a suicide by Marcus, to stop suspicion of Marjorie but that would have required him to beat up Walter. It's possible that it was Walter dressed up, then Marcus followed him out and knocked him out after he took off the odd clothes so that Walter would be in the clear. I don't know if that would be possible, it would depend if Marcus went offstage or shut the doors after the performance at all.

Meander fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Regarding the marriage the thing that jumped out for me is the old law (no longer in force in most countries) that married couples cannot give evidence or testify against each other in a criminal court case. I don't know whether that was the law in England at the time the book was set but that's what sprung to mind for me. So I think it was either Majorie or Harding, and that the other knows about it and wants to protect them.

• Locked thread