Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dumbskull
Mar 25, 2012

im cool
Slightly off-topic: I just got a copy of a book called Raymond Chandler Speaking and it is an excellent read. It is a collection of letters, journal entries, and magazine articles he wrote. An entire chapter is devoted to mystery writing and his thoughts on it and it is an enlightening read. At the end of that chapter he lays out some basic principles for solid mystery writing and it is like my bible when I write this stuff now. Like all of his work the tone remains somewhat light even when dealing with serious topics (including some really frank letters about a suicide attempt following his wife's death) and reading it is a breeze. I highly reccomend you put a library hold on this book and read it through if you care at all about mystery writing.

BONUS: It also includes a kind of interesting oddity: a short story of pure fiction, purpotedly one of the only ones he ever wrote, which is not particularly compelling but gives an interesting insight into Chandler's personal emotional landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread