Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just finished the first 7 chapters. It's my first Christie novel too, so I'm not sure what to expect. Is the xenophobia a running thing? I'm not going to quit over it, it's just a bit bothersome.

How the lights went out is interesting to me. I assume that Mitzi is involved somehow or she was really duped by someone clever, although a motive escapes me if she is in on it, whatever 'it' is. And on that note, the detective found it suspicious that the door that Mitzi was locked behind locked on the outside. Someone tried to shut her in, away from the scene of the crime.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Where is the fuse located on the outside of the house? There'd have to be multiple people in on whatever was supposed to happen to both turn off the lights and shoot at Letty in such a short amount of time.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 28, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Are you implying Letty might have staged the holdup initially and then the murders for reasons unknown? Hell, for the poisoning could have been done by her any time and we don't know where she was when Murgatroyd was strangled do we...

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 14, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On the topic of future mysteries, I'm fine with whatever since this is my first foray into the genre. :shobon: I do have The Murder at the Vicarage (also apparently one of Christie's Marple stories) that I got for free for my Kindle, but I haven't read it, and if it's free that's always nice.

Anyway, mysteries: I had guessed Pip's identity thanks to the thread, but Emma as Julia caught me. Ah well.

Lamp. Violets. Where is bottle of aspirin? Delicious Death. Making enquiries. Severe affliction bravely borne. Iodine. Pearls. Letty. Berne. Old Age Pension.

:psyduck:
Lamp is obvious. I think the violets were the dead ones Miss Blacklock had that Bunny was going on about earlier in the book. We've gone over why Letty is suspicious with the aspirin and everything else. Berne is a city in Switzerland, so presumably that's where Letty's family (and maybe Rudi) is from.

I think it's Letty or the woman pretending to be Letty. Because, really, who besides Bunny would know what Letty would look like after all of that time anyway? She had the opportunity to commit all of the murders, has been acting really suspiciously, and probably most importantly, knows where all of the poo poo is in the house.

Permit me to think out loud for a bit. I searched for my kindle edition for iodine since that sticks out in the list and unlike the other stuff it hasn't come up in the story. The only mention of it prior to Miss Marple's list is that letter that Craddock gave to Marple when he was trying to figure out Sonia's character (also where the closing and opening hands thing came up). It's a letter from Letty to Charlotte, her sister back in Switzerland who died. The relevant bit: "Lots of love, darling, and buck up. This iodine treatment may make a lot of difference. I've been enquiring about it and it really does seem to have good results." The iodine was a treatment for the 'affliction' she had.

And this got me to remember a thing. Bunny called Letty "Lotty" sometimes. Maybe Letty isn't Sonia, but Charlotte? There was that entire thing where Letty was upset over no one being left from the old days once Bunny died, and maybe I'm just reaching, but this fits well with that I think. Of course, I have no idea where the pearls, lamp, violets, and Delicious Death fall into this, but I think there might be something here, maybe. :ohdear:

edit: I guess this is my final guess. Oh man, oh man. :ohdear:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good theories all around. Is it absolutely necessary that Bunny is Sonia though? If Rudi could recognize Charlotte and give the game away, why couldn't Pip or Emma/Julia? While I guess it's possible, I feel like it complicates matters.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If Letty is indeed Charlotte, I think the prospect of Rudi revealing that she's not who she says she is is reason enough to off him. Maybe I just don't like complications. :saddowns: Likewise, I don't think Dora was Sonia, but admittedly I have no evidence besides gut feeling and some bias.

Ready as well to continue.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Well, I got the important bit right. :colbert: ProfessorProf, how madly were you laughing at our predictions over the course of the last 3 pages?

As for future stories, I have nothing. :( I really would like to read more of this type of mystery though, where once you get to a certain point, you can piece together the mystery (sans motive, maybe) as the detective does.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just finished the first three chapters. I like the characters in this one more than in A Murder is Announced. They're more distinguishable so far, at the least. :v:

I'm inclined to think Jimmy's coroner friend might be involved somehow, but that just might be a background detail.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 28, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Sure. :buddy: (I also know nothing) The Ponson Case is the cheaper one, though, if it comes down to that. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I want to say that Christie is setting up a contrast between real life mysteries and book mysteries. Whether she plans to use this to subvert expectations or not is unclear.

I also don't trust our new 'assistant'. :colbert:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 1, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Are we going to do The Ponson Case/The Body on the Beach at the same time as Murder is Easy or are you two just reading it to lead us through the discussion ahead of time?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I almost want to say there are multiple murderers because the only people who suspect there's one are suspicious and/or dead.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 6, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I swear if this book ends with Bridget and Luke ending up together. :negative:

I'm not quite sure where the witchcraft and superstition ties in exactly, but the fact that it hasn't really come up yet means it will later. And at this point, I'm convinced it wasn't a man (or if more than one, not all were men), because the story keeps harping on gender and gender roles to an almost ridiculous extent.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 19, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

]I basically agree with all of the above, with maybe the distinction that Luke is Bridget's backup plan so to speak, assuming it's her and her older engagement doesn't work out. A conspiracy could work too.

Also, Luke, you're a bit of an rear end, no matter how unpleasant Whitfield is. Bridget too.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 12, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know. After Bridget threw the tennis match, he just got so mad and :cripes:, that was shameful. He's entertaining to read about especially when investigating, no doubt.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On one hand, Luke is entertaining to read about; on the other, I feel a very strong urge to punch him.

My gut tells me it was Miss Waynflete. She is really insistent on inviting Bridget over to a location she knows and it's fairly established that she still loves him. On the other hand, she's an old lady. Bridget is still a possibility but her actions don't add up if so. Why would she try to please him with the murders yet leave with Luke?

Although I'm still fond of having multiple murderers, the narrative doesn't seem headed that way and Luke is no Miss Marple, that's for sure...

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 17, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

if we're doing this already, then I'll lock in with Waynflete and an accomplice. As laid out by Guy, there is plenty for Rose to gain and Waynflete is an elderly woman, crazy or not.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 17, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

We were all on the ballpark. :v:

I've already said my piece on Luke and Bridget, but I feel like Christie tried to add "story" and took away bits of the mystery and for me at least, this one isn't as satisfying. Entertaining, but I don't know, maybe Luke soured me on the concept.

In conclusion: :negative:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So it's The Ponson Case up next?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is it not available in your country?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

On the topic of next books, I'll do whatever's after Crooked House; either The Moving Finger if Prof wants to participate in the thread or Pit Prop Syndicate, mentioned earlier.

Anyway, here's the map of the areas described at the end of chapter two, it might help later. I'm fairly certain Old Ferry is north of the crossroad, but the dialogue doesn't really specify.

I don't care about update length but since 2 chapters is more convenient for Guy, maybe we should go with that?

Entenzahn posted:

Oh I'm sure it's available somewhere, but there's so many books and so little time. I wanted to skip one and Amazon made the decision for me, is all.

P.S. I don't own a Kindle. Paper all the way, baby.
I just figured you could use one of the free Kindle reading apps (phone or desktop), but I guess that works too. See you for the next book. :)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

In that case sign me up for Pit Prop Syndicate. :)

YESSS there's a map of the boathouse area so I don't have to draw it. Note to self, location 583.

I agree, Andrew is too suspicious at this point and I'm inclined to throw him out as a suspect; it seems to me someone might have tried to frame him with the letter though but wasn't anticipating the rain for whatever reason.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 8, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good write-up. I'm starting to feel the same way about the women, especially in light of the fact that the Inspector doesn't like pressing the women as hard as he is the men when asking questions.

I suppose there is the possibility that some of the servants are lying (possibly to get money later?) to protect Austin, especially since it's the servants' testimony we're mostly relying on for his alibi.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 8, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Stop ruining my theories Crofts. :mad:

We still have the bit with Miss Blecher left that's unresolved, although I suppose that could be explained away, maybe.

We have yet to detail the alibis of the women. I know they took the train and were elsewhere, at least according to their story, but Inspector Tanner hasn't really gone to confirm that. Although, if Cosgrove or Austin are involved somehow, mad props for such a tight alibi. Really.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 8, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good catch on the Hitchin thing. I didn't even remember and I drew the drat thing. :downs:

Anyway, yeah, that's Cosgrove's alibi broken with that if it gets brought up (and it's just inconspicuous enough to be 'background detail'), so Austin is safe, presuming they can find the guy who got his ruined shoes.

Jimmy and Lois look like fun additions to our detective team. :) I'm secretly hoping this will turn into Matlock. STILL no encounter with the wife and daughter though.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 8, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good catch The Duke!

With the secret meeting between the three of them, I sort of got the impression that Cosgrove and Austin have secrets they don't want to get out, even if revealing the meeting and their secrets could prove them innocent. Or is that too obvious?

I agree, Lois is an excellent addition to the group.

This whole Douglas thing needs to tie into Portugal somehow, so it'll be exciting to see where the plot leads.

Now to unspoil my previous posts per OP rules. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 10, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Very end of chapter 10, Chief Inspector Edgar says that Tanner is off to Portugal in pursuit of the third suspect. Presumably, the last two chapters have been a flashback of sorts to get up to speed on Tanner's doings.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 10, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Tanner's doing all of my thinking for me. <:mad:>

The Dale hypothesis seems to be spot-on, so congrats to Guy for getting that. And a collaboration to murder our victim seems increasingly likely, although that whole X thing throws a wrench into the works. Might Austin and Cosgrove have collaborated and tried to frame Douglas? Of course, if it's blackmail that makes no sense but if there's another connection there with Dale, that complicates things.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good job Duke! The ending was a bit underwhelming but with knowledge that it's not a 'proper' whodunit, it's a lot more enjoyable.

I'm up for whatever next.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Nice short chapters. :) I also learned that WPC is a woman police constable, I'd never heard of that before.

My first thought is that the killer came back and carried the body into the water to dispose of it, although that seems like it could backfire easily. Perhaps there were accomplices, given the mention of the yacht club.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 23, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Zola posted:

Show of hands: Who thinks the latest body is going to be the woman who threatened Carole?
Yeah, I'll get behind this.

At the very least, the police will probably call her in again since a body was found, just not necessarily the right one.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 1, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jude. :allears:

Isn't it a 'rule' of mystery stories that the detective(s) not be the culprit? I like the idea of a professional myself, but I'm not sure how well that goes with the time period. I think I'd prefer it if she was just a slightly eccentric woman with a knack for mysteries.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 1, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Usually whenever discussion on that section of the story slows.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It sounds like J.T. Carpets is some sort of carpet-making company? I suppose there's still the possibility that Jude is related to them somehow, but maybe it is just a coincidence. Hmm.

This Brad sounds like he could be her superior, or he might just be a close friend/lover.

The big revelation of this chunk seems to be the family connection between the dead Aaron and his mother. Although if he's dead for drug-related reasons (whether he knew too much or the drugs killed him), why would she be taking drugs while looking for a knife that belongs to a carpet-making company?

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Read it. I don't really know what to think; I do like the idea of it being Nick's dad, but he left, why would he come back? For money? Drug ring in the area?

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I believe the tide brought it back in, yeah.

So I wasn't the only one to wonder where the second knife mark had come from? Or did Dylan make a mark but not write his name?

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Third boy is Nick, I think.

I don't even remember when we first met Tanya. Was it in the bar...?

I also agree with Jude about Rudy. He's probably in another country at this point.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 25, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Give me one more day. :saddowns:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I caught up!

I guess this is confirmation of an affair between Tanya and Rory Turnbull, but then who would frame him? Or is it his wife's drugs after all

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

]I've been on and off this book, but I do agree that Barbara was the one with the addiction and Rory ran off to get away from her and be with Tanya. Don't really have an opinion on the rest of it though, but I might do another read-through if there's time.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 2, 2013

• Locked thread