Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished Dashiel Hammett's The Glass Key. The title refers to a dream that Janet has where her and Ned, lost and starving in the woods, come across a cabin. Through the windows they can see a table full of food, but the door is locked. They find a glass key under the doormat, but when they try to open it they discover the floor is full of snakes that attempt to rush out the door.

Janet tells Ned that they were able to get onto the roof, open the door, and let all the snakes out so they could feast, but she later tells him that she lied and that when they opened the door the key shattered and that they snakes killed them.

I'm assuming that the "pit of snakes" are the politicians and gangsters that inhabit the city, leading to Ned deciding that they both need to leave the city behind, but that's about all I have. What else am I missing from this dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread