Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It may be worth mentioning at this point that, like Three Act Tragedy, this book changes some important details between the American and British editions for reasons I have never been able to discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ebooks, at any rate, seem to always use the British version (in my experience) because nobody could be bothered to make different ones for different countries. So there's that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'd like to join but I actually just read this one recently. Looking forward to the next mystery!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dickson Carr has a bad habit of deliberately misleading the reader. I've never forgiven him for one book in which Sir Henry Merrivale swears to the honesty and reliability of a character who then turns out to be the murderer, which is a serious violation of the "rules," at least to me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've been meaning to volunteer to run you through Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell, so I'll put that up for consideration as a future title.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hopeford posted:

I wouldn't say that's a habit of his. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the book you are referring to is[book title spoiler]And so to Murderwhich yeah, was pretty bad. Frankly that book barely counts as a mystery, it's just him having fun with the setting. For the most part though, I'd say he sticks pretty close to being fair. I mean, he DOES mislead the reader like crazy--but it's usually pretty fair. That book aside. Plus that one book technically didn't have a murder, I would say it literally doesn't qualify as a murder mystery.

He does something pretty similar in Death-Watch as well, where Dr. Fell tells a man that he respects him and would like to shake his hand, and then admits that it was a total lie when he reveals that the guy was the killer and a total creepo murderzoid all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

quote:

Sounds like an idea yes. 2 people isn't really enough to bounce ideas around.

I think you might get more readers if you picked a slightly more obscure author than Christie, since with a book like Crooked House there are probably more people who only vaguely follow along because they already know the solution.

I'm still willing to do Thus Was Adonis Murdered if people are interested.

• Locked thread