Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

noirstronaut posted:

If Forecast+ wasn't wrong, I'd be using it right now. So, it either needs to switch its source of info or WU needs to have some options as far as information displayed.

Agreed. The Forecast+ widget looks the best by miles, but the forecasts themselves are usually terrible.

The graph with the WU widget is just a poor use of that space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I don't like seeing the solid location arrow, my battery life :negative:

It doesn't make that much difference.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just looked at Forecast+ in the App Store. I'm not paying a dollar for it if its weather data is consistently incorrect, but yeah, that is exactly how all weather app widgets should look. Goddamnit, why couldn't Apple have just made the stock weather app have a widget that looked like that? I don't want a tiny picture of a cloud and like 2 lines of text. I want a nice clean graphical view that's big but not too big. You know, kind of like what iOS6 had :argh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Man, you guys care about the weather a lot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Why does that Breeze pedometer app require background location to be on pretty much constantly? Annoying.

I don't like seeing the solid location arrow, my battery life :negative:

And the constant loving nag screens about enabling push notifications. Jesus Christ.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

tuyop posted:

Where I live it can be pretty different from day to day, and it affects plans to do things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tuyop posted:

I just want to be able to swipe down and see it presented neatly like I used to be able to 2 years ago and 2 iPhones ago :haw:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Where I live it can be pretty different from day to day, and it affects plans to do things.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, the only thing to worry about here is if it's get-frostbite-while-you-wait-for-a-bus cold or don't-get-the-bus-or-the-air-will-cause-you-to-die cold. The text is actually kind of ideal for this.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Honestly, I don't even know why I'd need a chart like this. I can't think of a scenario where plans will change based on the five degrees it varies throughout the day.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Maybe it's not like that the whole world around. For example, there's a 30 degree difference from last night to this evening where I am.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's 95 and sunny every day in northern California. Why would it be different anywhere else in the world?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

IUG posted:

Maybe it's not like that the whole world around. For example, there's a 30 degree difference from last night to this evening where I am.

Yeah, I meant me personally. The addition of a chart is useful to some, but not all, thus reasoning it into being an option.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've tried numerous times to utilize IFTTT but always wind up deleting it because I never find it useful for the stuff I do. I think it nah have a lot to do with me not being creative enough to make it work for me. Same thing goes for that Launcher app that got brought up a page or two ago.

What the hell do you guys use these apps for? Like if you had to give one awesome example. The most complex thing I do is take a photo, edit with vsco, crop in squaready, post to instagram. It doesn't really break my balls to go through each app although I'm glad that squaready can now be used from within the photos app, although I have to relearn my process that I was so used to.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I use ifttt to sync my twitter and Instagram posts to my journal app: http://giftttdy.gadgetcoma.com/

I also use it to get push notifications when specific words show up on certain rss feeds. It's a good way to get breaking news about specific subjects. I've got recipes that email me when something I want is on sale, tweet stuff for me, etc.

As for Launcher, it's just a quick way to access my favorite apps and also directions to specific locations from wherever I am. Just pull down the notification shade and tap.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
bastard. they pulled Launcher from the UK App Store.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone have 1Password stop using TouchID? The toggle is enabled. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the toggling, rebooting the phone, and re-installing the applications. But it always asks for my full password now. iPhone 6+ on 8.0.2

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

the kawaiiest posted:

I use ifttt to sync my twitter and Instagram posts to my journal app: http://giftttdy.gadgetcoma.com/

I also use it to get push notifications when specific words show up on certain rss feeds. It's a good way to get breaking news about specific subjects. I've got recipes that email me when something I want is on sale, tweet stuff for me, etc.

As for Launcher, it's just a quick way to access my favorite apps and also directions to specific locations from wherever I am. Just pull down the notification shade and tap.

It may just be the hideous interface, but I can't find google maps in launcher's menu.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Anyone have 1Password stop using TouchID? The toggle is enabled. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the toggling, rebooting the phone, and re-installing the applications. But it always asks for my full password now. iPhone 6+ on 8.0.2

Make sure you have "Request after" for master password set to be longer than "Request fingerprint after".. I just set "Request after" to 30 days so it won't bug me for a password for that long and I can just use the fingerprint in the meantime.

I think "Request after" is default something small like 10 minutes which means after 10 minutes you always have to enter the master password.

It's not very clear, really.

Also anyone else notice some vertical lines on the 1password lock screen? Some kind of scaling artifact?

Another 1password annoyance is it keeps losing the dropbox sync but I think that might be more a dropbox app problem. Perhaps because background refresh was off for dropbox for me for some reason.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

This is the main thing I do with it. One of the feeds I have it watch is the feed for the LP section of the forums. Any time someone posts a new LP, I get a notification. That makes it a LOT easier than plowing through the forum, looking for LPs I might be interested in.

It also came in handy when I ordered my new iPod Touch 5. I used IFTTT and BoxOh to track it, letting me know when it arrived.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, HAS anyone been able to get My Fitness Pal to work with Health Kit?

I've been trying since last night. Updated, uninstall then reinstall, restarted phone = still not working. I've done everything except wipe and restore, and honestly it's just not worth it for a calorie tracking app.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

ICHIBAHN posted:

bastard. they pulled Launcher from the UK App Store.

Yeah seems like they did everywhere.

@LauncherIOS
Apple has taken Launcher off of the App Store. We tried to avoid this, but Apple decided to disallow widgets with our functionality.

Well that bites.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

So, HAS anyone been able to get My Fitness Pal to work with Health Kit?

I've been trying since last night. Updated, uninstall then reinstall, restarted phone = still not working. I've done everything except wipe and restore, and honestly it's just not worth it for a calorie tracking app.

I don't really know what HealthKit is supposed to do. I enter my food and body weight into MFP and adjust diet based on exercise that I track through Fitocracy. I never really cared about the step counter because lol at its net calorie bullshit and why should I care about outdated step counting fitness advice?

I mean, what do you want? It's a great nutrition tracking app.

Edit: to get it to populate HealthKit go to more/settings/sharing & privacy/healthkit

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 27, 2014

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

Make sure you have "Request after" for master password set to be longer than "Request fingerprint after".. I just set "Request after" to 30 days so it won't bug me for a password for that long and I can just use the fingerprint in the meantime.

I think "Request after" is default something small like 10 minutes which means after 10 minutes you always have to enter the master password.

It's not very clear, really.

Also anyone else notice some vertical lines on the 1password lock screen? Some kind of scaling artifact?

Another 1password annoyance is it keeps losing the dropbox sync but I think that might be more a dropbox app problem. Perhaps because background refresh was off for dropbox for me for some reason.

Thanks. Apparently the Lock Now button locks with the password, not the Touch ID. Yeah I see a weird vertical line on the password screen on my 6+ too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I don't really know what HealthKit is supposed to do. I enter my food and body weight into MFP and adjust diet based on exercise that I track through Fitocracy. I never really cared about the step counter because lol at its net calorie bullshit and why should I care about outdated step counting fitness advice?

I mean, what do you want? It's a great nutrition tracking app.

Edit: to get it to populate HealthKit go to more/settings/sharing & privacy/healthkit

First thing I did when I did the update. Didn't work. I currently have every data point enabled both in and out of Health Kit to MFP.

Ultimately I want Health Kit to be a one stop shop for all my stuff. I also use UP to track movement, exercise and sleep. MFP for calories and weight. I'm also getting a WiFi enabled scale and waiting for an update to Strong both of which I hope will interface with Health Kit as well.

Yes, all of these apps mostly talk to each other and exchange data points, but Health Kit is a great front-end to aggregate all of that data and present it in various forms.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Yeah seems like they did everywhere.

@LauncherIOS
Apple has taken Launcher off of the App Store. We tried to avoid this, but Apple decided to disallow widgets with our functionality.

Well that bites.

So how do I get a refund for my premium upgrade?

edit: just sent off an email under the report a problem thingy so I guess that's that. Shame.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 27, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tuyop posted:

It may just be the hideous interface, but I can't find google maps in launcher's menu.

It's under "contacts". And yeah the interface is awful.

Edit: wow, Apple removed it? I'm lucky I got it when I did. How do I make sure I don't lose it, can I save the .ipa file somewhere? I love this app.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 27, 2014

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

the kawaiiest posted:

It's under "contacts". And yeah the interface is awful.

Edit: wow, Apple removed it? I'm lucky I got it when I did. How do I make sure I don't lose it, can I save the .ipa file somewhere? I love this app.

Backup to iTunes on a computer, it will be on your computer forever.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Kailtor posted:

Backup to iTunes on a computer, it will be on your computer forever.

Thanks I'll do that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Kinda bummed I missed out on Launcher even though I thought it was dumb when it was actually here. I can't think of any moment where I'd personally use it, but now I want it because I can't have it.

^Worth noting that apps will forever exist in your "Purchased" tab but if it's gone from the Store, you can't search for it there. You have to find it manually.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What did Launcher do?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What did Launcher do?

Gave you a widget that was a tray that could contain shortcuts to apps, or actions within some apps such as send a message to a particular contact, open a facebook page etc.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
If there was any way to share it I would (it was a free app so I guess that would be fine and not :filez:, right?) but I don't think it's possible in iOS, is it? Just share the .ipa file? I'm still not sure how this stuff works, sorry if this is an extremely dumb question (it probably is).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IPAs are linked to iTunes accounts.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

IPAs are linked to iTunes accounts.

Ah, well, so much for that then. It's such a shame too, it's a great little app.

Here's the developer's statement about this whole ordeal. Looks like he won't be developing for iOS anymore: http://al.cromulentlabs.com/thanks/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There is a way for registered developers to use apps signed to other accounts, but we shall not get into that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can anyone try to get guided access to work based on the instructions here?

I triple-click home and nothing happens.

Nevermind, a reset got it to work. This is awesome for teaching!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 28, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Scanbot; worth the $4.99 upgrade? I'm using it right now to copy classroom documents I'll need for class, if that helps.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Scanbot; worth the $4.99 upgrade? I'm using it right now to copy classroom documents I'll need for class, if that helps.

I would if the OCR is actually accurate. I have no idea if it is, but that would be my criteria for paying the upgrade.

Personally, I've used Scanner Pro for years. It doesn't have OCR, but I have another desktop info database app I use for that. I don't think Scanbot was out when I got Scanner Pro. A neat thing is the latest update allows you to "scan" a photo from the Photo app and add to your cloud drive as a PDF. Haven't really found a use case for that.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 28, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I would if the OCR is actually accurate. I have no idea if it is, but that would be my criteria for paying the upgrade.

Personally, I've used Scanner Pro for years. It doesn't have OCR, but I have another desktop info database app I use for that. I don't think Scanbot was out when I got Scanner Pro. A neat thing is the latest update allows you to "scan" a photo from the Photo app and add to your cloud drive as a PDF. Haven't really found a use case for that.

I've been using it because it's more convenient for receipts. Just swipe up, take the pic and edit them at the end of the day or something. I think you can get free OCR if you sync your scanner pro with google drive or something. I do the same thing as you and just use Adobe Acrobat, which works surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Scanbot has those too! But I scanned 10 things and got an in-app deal to upgrade for $3.99 so... did that.

• Locked thread