Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

This app looks great but it doesn't have the Twin Cities on it, so gently caress this app.

So email them and ask them to add support. In my experience they add what cities they can, for the most part the problem is that some cities aren't willing to give their data to third parties (or they'll give their 'general schedule' but no real time data).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I paid $2 for Downcast a long time ago and it has reliably synced and worked pretty flawlessly the entire time I've owned it.

I used Instacast for a while before Downcast, gave them $7 for the (at the time) non universal apps that had sync issues with iCloud he never resolved, only to have the developer remove features and stick them behind an additional $2 IAP in an update and whine on twitter that people don't like supporting indie development. Now he's released a $5 client that has syncing that actually works, but I'm sticking with Downcast.

Plus, with Downcast, you can set it to refresh your feeds upon leaving/arriving at specified locations. I never need to think about refreshing my feeds, it just happens, and the new episodes are cached when they can be. I've come to really love this feature.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Can either downcast or instacast sync to my macbook air?

Nope, I don't think so. I think the only app that syncs your position with your computer would be Music/Podcasts.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The BBC recently wrote an article about how the video support in iOS is really easy to support and thus they spend a fraction of the time supporting iOS as they do Android. This was in response to all the whiners in their comments every time they post something iOS related about how they're 'biased' towards Apple and why aren't they supporting 70% of the market and blah blah blah.

It could be the way Twitch has implemented their app, but I've personally never really had a problem with iOS video.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Sieg posted:

Android devices can get the same mpeg-4 stream that people on laptops/desktops get. For iOS, Apple requires that it be encoded in mpeg-2. It is an additional step and cost to support iOS.

This is at best very misleading. Apple requires live streaming video be delivered within an MPEG-2 transport stream, which is merely a packaging format. The transport stream is capable of delivering H.264 (MPEG-4) video, and in fact that's the only video format that is supported on iOS devices. It does not require the video be encoded into MPEG-2 at all, and in fact wouldn't work if it was.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
No offense to your buddy but if he was relying on the google play flash player to service android devices he was offering the majority of them a pretty lovely experience.

Anyway, I'll end the derail here by linking the BBC article I was talking about originally: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20754182

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I have it set up with my Instapaper account. I think they might support other read-it-later services as well though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So I got into Mailbox a few days ago, first impressions are that the app feels much more native than the Gmail app, which is a good thing. I don't know why Gmail insists on showing you a splash screen every time you load the app, even if it was just suspended. Mailbox is really quick and jumps right to the inbox.

One thing I like about the official Gmail app is that they actually will silently update the unread email counter on the app if you view your mail elsewhere. Not surprised this is missing in Mailbox (especially since by default the counter refers to number of 'conversations') but it would be cool to have.

To get the most use out of Mailbox it seems like you need to really embrace the whole metaphor the app was designed around and just give up on your current existing system of whatever labels you have. I like the design of the app so much I'm going to be trying it out for a few weeks -- others might have more complicated systems they won't be willing to give up as easily.

Supporting existing labels seems like a big feature they're missing, but honestly I can see why they cut it for the initial release. It really doesn't fit with the philosophy they're going for here. I would be surprised if they didn't already have some ideas of how to integrate support for existing labels in the future. Definitely interested to see where they go after 1.0, especially since they've hinted at providing support for more than just Gmail in the future, and more than just the iPhone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah the point is to keep your inbox for stuff that's truly new and requires your attention.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Minidust posted:

Huh, is it possible for an iPhone to just "miss" an app update somehow? My pages in the app just never load. Oh well, I'll take it to the appropriate thread, thanks for the link!

No, the app changed authors and you probably didn't download the new version.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

Mailbox isn't updating for me today. Wonder if its server woes on their end. Doesn't their server play middle-man or something?

Load up the app and pull down. For a little bit mine said something along the lines of "There are network issues, try again soon."

It's working now though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What's so hard to understand? You understand the process of labelling an email but not of moving an email out of the inbox?

The philosophy is that the inbox is for stuff you haven't dealt with yet. Labels organize everything else. The archive is just a repository of all your mail, labelled or otherwise. All Gmail does when you click 'Archive' is remove the Inbox label from the email. That's it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I've never had it crash once.

edit: iPhone 5 and iPad 3

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Any reason you don't want to use Feedly? I've never used it. I wouldn't count on them making it public though as it seems like a competitive advantage right now.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

If you check the weather thread this app's credibility has been gutted. Nice design, but not a meteorological foot to stand on. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3527402&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post414046720

It's based on the same data that Dark Sky uses which has been proven to be pretty accurate, and in the weather thread they seem to be saying that what Dark Sky does is impossible when there are numerous accounts of it working really well.

Of course nothing is going to be perfect but I think they're dismissing it pretty fast.

Something from the Dark Sky website:

quote:

It’s very much a numerical & statistical approach, rather than a meteorological one. Since we’ve launched the Kickstarter project, we’ve had several people (many of them meteorologists) criticize it because it eschews physical modeling of atmospheric fluid dynamics. And it’s true that our system will never be able to predict six hours in the future, let alone a day from now. But by focusing on the immediate future, and leaving everything beyond to the meteorologists, we can create a highly accurate app that is useful in a surprisingly wide range of applications.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 3, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Messaging has been built into the main FB app for a long time now.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You have it backwards, messenger was released as a standalone app first. At some point later on they integrated it into main iOS app after they did the overhaul from html5 to native.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Housh posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am talking about this app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/facebook-messenger/id454638411?mt=8

FB App 6 still feels slow for chatting and the biggest reason I use the FB messenger app is because it has landscape mode typing. I have no idea why they don't let you switch to landscape for chatting in the main app.

You asked if chat 'will work' in the main FB app. I said that yes, it has been in there for a long time now. You said it never 'worked properly' in the main app which is why they released a standalone app. I said you got it backwards, and that the app you linked was released before they even added messenger support to the main app.

Now that you've clarified that your criteria for chat 'working' is having landscape support, I can tell you that no, landscape still is unsupported in the newest update. That's a far cry from asking whether messaging works in the main app or not though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I can't help with 3 of them but downcast can be set to refresh your feeds automatically when you enter/leave up to 10 locations that you define.

I don't think there's any way for an app to tell other apps to open.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I liked the look of that app but when I tried to use it it seemed like I had to add a user tied to their email address, and that it would email them to invite them to join or something. There was no way to just add someone without tying it to a contact.

Am I mistaken about it emailing the people you add? I just wanted to keep track of things for myself and not spam my friends / family about it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What do you mean how does it know? It just switches to "Claimed" status as soon as you claim one to prevent others from copy+pasting faster than you, it doesn't know if you've actually entered it on the store or not.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It also seems to be using a ton more data than the other services, so I'd let them work out the kinks for now.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You realize that the data they were using before you could've also gotten from a free app right?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Didn't it turn out later that those meteorologists misunderstood where the data came from, or am I misremembering that? I don't follow that thread, and I don't even use Dark Sky/Forecast.io, but I thought someone said that last time this came up.

They have serious problems with the methodology Dark Sky uses for prediction. But to Dark Sky's credit they lay things out very clearly in their FAQ about how they are using their data, and even mention that most meteorologists are skeptical of their approach.

In practice it seems to work decently well for predicting rain near your location within the hour, but plurals of anecdotes are not data etc etc.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Isn't it basically a case that they take readings from a dozen of different services and more or less averages them out? I've only recently started using Forecast.io but if it simply is a case of taking the average of multiple trusted sources then I imagine it'd be reliable enough for normal day-to-day use if you don't need exact rainfall figures or whatever.

They use some mathematical/statistical algorithms to predict how the storm will move through the area, based on the 2D radar. That's not an accurate way to predict movement since storms are really complicated and you need a whole lot more data to get the true picture, but you're right, in practice I've found it's at least as reliable as any other weather app I've tried. Especially when it comes to predicting when it's going to start/stop raining in the area I'm standing in right now within the next 30 minutes, much more useful than a vague 60% P.O.P. number.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
GoodReader can access network shares, although I've never personally used it for that so I can't speak to how well it works. I'd start by checking that out though.

vvv Agreed. It works great within an hour, but the farther out you go I doubt it's really that useful.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 30, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I haven't noticed anything of the sort, been using Mailbox since it launched pretty much. I'd check your Gmail filters or anything you've changed recently.

I should note that the Gmail update hasn't rolled out to me yet, since I'm a Google Apps user.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You can turn off push notifications for the Gmail app in Settings > Notifications.

Note that it's not actually automatically downloading the emails -- the notifications are lightweight and are being sent from their push notification server. The app only downloads the new mail when you open it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't see the big deal aside from the big names. Yeah they're popular guys but honestly there's so many other quick note taking apps there's not much that sets this one apart.

The guy in that MacStories review has multiple levels of note taking apps in use, which seems crazy to me.

I'm sure they'll add a majority of the missing features from the 1.0 (syncing being a major one) but $5 is a big price to pay for yet another notes app. Feels like you're paying for the names here more than anything else, and I'm sure they'll sell a boatload from Daring Fireball exposure alone.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 6, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

choobs posted:

Yeah, my company uses Juniper's Pulse. The apps for those are free but the "servers" require thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of hardware and software.

Yeah if you're looking to set up a server from scratch I've heard OpenVPN is the 'easier' one out of the options, though I've never attempted to setup an OpenVPN server. I don't think there's any nice package where you can just download, install, and click "Start" to start up a server. They all require some documentation reading and configuration.

I recently setup an IPSec/L2TP VPN on a VPS I have. It works great for both my iPhone and Windows computer but it took some tutorials and some reading to figure out how to configure it all. The nice thing about L2TP is that it's supported natively by most operating systems. OpenVPN requires a separate client.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I'm sort of mixed on it's results. There are peaks where it says I was awake for a bit but I don't remember waking up (could have been very restless, which is plausible)

But this morning I woke up at around 6 am (about an hour before I was due to wake up), and picked up the phone to check the time. Looking at the graph now, it says I was deep asleep around 6 but awake at just after 5.

Note that all it really has to go on are your movements translated through the mattress. I don't know how they translate that into sleep stages, but if you're lying awake staying fairly still it might not know you're awake, and so on.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They need to just ditch the idea of putting the Yahoo logo on there already. The purple is good enough. It would look loads better with just the cloud and the sun, but I agree that this icon is the best one of all of them.

It also looks very similar to the iOS 7 weather icon.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lexicon posted:

Is it just me, or is the Google Hangouts iOS app absolutely dire? It constantly crashes, logs me out, and displays a notification count that never seems to have any numerical bearing on the content within the app?

It behaves oddly for me too sometimes. I'll get a notification but the message won't be there inside the app itself. Other times I'll get double notifications for the same message. Sometimes I'll get no notification at all and then realize I missed a message when opening the app up later, or I'll look at the message but the app still displays a badge as if I hadn't.

edit: This all being said, if they can fix these issues it's a great cross-platform messaging app. Nice to be able to have my history instantly reflected across all the devices I'm using without having to think about it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They were probably nudged in that direction by Apple app reviewers. They probably don't want 3rd party apps with the same display name as system apps.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's a 3rd party app that works exactly like the Google Authenticator app. I use it for my services. Love the interface, works great, and they even have an option to back up your tokens with a password if you're paranoid about losing your device and being locked out of all your services.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

caboodle posted:

Who are these people???
Why would I trust them with my most valuable online data?
No thanks.

You aren't trusting them with any data. If you choose to turn on the (off by default) token backup service, the data is encrypted using a password you set on the device first. Do some reading on how 2FA tokens actually work instead of making assumptions.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Gotta say I find the iOS 7 version of Downcast to be a mess. Grey tint colour for tappable buttons, really? Random bits of red for others?

The developer needs to take some cues from Apple. Feels like they tried to match the look but didn't think about why things work in Apple's apps; like a half-assed skin job on top of the old app.

That being said, not like I used Downcast for its looks. Was just hoping it would make a better transition to iOS 7.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why is it that tweetbot has a bunch of updates but calcbot hasn't been updated with iPhone 5 support. How hard is it to support a paid app when you've had over a year to update the drat screen size. Won't be buying any of their apps anymore :mad:

/rant

Neither has Convertbot for that matter. As soon as they moved to Tweetbot I think sales from that eclipsed all their other apps, so they let the others fall by the wayside. That being said, the apps work just fine.

Their look is so custom that moving them to tallphone format isn't trivial either. I'm curious to see what they've come up with for iOS 7, I'm sure it's been a ton of work.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just uninstall the facebook app and leave messenger installed? Or just don't open the facebook app.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
VSCO CAM gets a lot of love here. I don't think it lets you manually set exposure levels but it does allow for a separate exposure / focus lock. It's free so you might as well give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Use control center to start playback -- swipe up on the lock screen.

• Locked thread